• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Large is Your Digital Music Library?

ascii42

2,234 songs, 6 days, 16.65 GB. Mostly ripped from CD, but some purchased from iTunes or Amazon. Buying digital more since I bought a car without a CD player last year. Prior to that I found listening to CDs easier than messing with my iPod/iPhone while driving.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Spotify just can't match my personal library. So many great mixes and albums lost to the ether of licensing disputes and time.

21.4 GB, but I have a ton of stuff to add (both from ripping old CDs and adding/downloading new albums).

As a big music head, I could never stick with just a streaming service (I pay for Google Music) and not have a digital collection. I have far too many songs that aren't on streaming services and I've seen some albums/songs removed from services, as well.

Not only that, but without having my own collection and constantly moving on to listening to the next new, different thing, I find that I totally forget about some great older bands/albums/songs. I only keep the songs I like from albums I download/rip, so shuffling my collection by genre is always a treat.

I agree with not being able to go streaming only. Many of my favorite songs and versions aren't there and I like having my music no matter how far off the grid I am.

I'm also pretty OCD about my song labelling for some reason.

Furyous

Over 3 million+ songs (legally procured) counting my NAS.

60 percent hip hop

20 contemporary

10 pop

10 country + podcasts

It's only 160 gigs on my computer and that's mostly hip-hop, contemporary, and country.

Man some of you guys have some crazy huge libraries! As for me I have around 3000 songs, but I also have Apple Music so I stream a lot of music too. as for genres it's mostly Rap, but also a ton of J-Pop/Rock and anisongs, plus some K-pop, EDM and VG soundtracks.

Dougald

I've been using Spotify for 8 years now and haven't had any physical music files on any of my devices in at least 5

mhanna49

Neo Member
In my music library folder, I have 18,635 songs with a total size of 555 GB. My library is mostly FLAC from ripping CDs that I've bought. I also have some SACD .ISOs that I ripped myself and some surround sound rips from DVDs that I do not keep in my music library.

I've downloaded some music from Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, Bandcamp, HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, ProStudioMasters and some other sources. I've listened to most of what I have. I have Spotify Premium and I think it could replace about half of my music library

tuffy

Looks like it weighs in at 1.25TB across 48,464 FLAC files, along with a few GB of leftover MP3s. Lots of CD rips, DVD-A rips, Bandcamp downloads, .vgz transcodes, and various other songs acquired over many years. I haven't broken my library very tightly into genres, but much of it is soundtracks of one sort or another.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
1,317 albums
16,099 songs

I don't use any streaming service, except free Spotify to occasionally sample something. I buy everything, primarily from Google Play and Bandcamp.

jyoung188

However many songs are in the Google Play music library. I listen to mostly rap, some electronic and some alternative rock.

<10 Gb

Most of which I grabbed when Napster was less than legal. A lot of the songs are absolutely shit quality, like 128kb/s or less but I keep them because they're obscure and services like Google Music, iTunes, etc, don't have them.

For the most part, I use streaming services like Pandora, though I just recently cancelled my paid account with them and have been revolving between Slacker, Spotify, etc, to figure out which streaming service is best. I liked Pandora a lot, but they recently revamped their website, and it was glitchy as fuck. Couldn't stand it.

kubev

I have a little under 9 GB of music and a little over 1,000 tracks. I only download them to my phone, as I prefer to stream them to my PC, otherwise. I have access to more through Amazon Prime, but I typically stream my purchased music from Amazon (since that's where I purchase it from).

Having an iTunes library of digital files on your hdd feels so dated now. It's almost like having a CD collection. I don't do this and I abandoned files for good in like 2014.

bman94

Having an iTunes library of digital files on your hdd feels so dated now. It's almost like having a CD collection. I don't do this and I abandoned files for good in like 2014.

I don't see how. Enthusiasts like those in this thread obviously like having control of their music and the flexibility that it allows. I play all my music on a $300 Sony Walkman Hi-Res Audio player, so streaming, along with many other enthusiasts are out of the picture/not wanted.

Aizo

Banned
53,486 songs. 364.2GB.
Couldn't give percentages, but Rock would be the biggest genre, followed by instrumental and ambient stuff that's harder to categorize, then Rap, then Metal, then Electronic.

I've deleted quite a lot of it over the past couple years. I used to get tons of CDs from the library, borrowed CDs from friends, bought CDs physically and digitally, and imported CDs... been mostly using Spotify since that came here somewhat recently, but I still buy albums I love.

Top Bottom