• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

J2 Cool

This show's level of spread outness really pisses me off. Season 2 days you wouldnt go an ep without catching up with every interesting thread. Now its just tough to jump to this character, and 4 episodes later another tidbit.

Tonight hilltop and Rosita/sasha. Other weeks morgan/carol. Sometimes Negan. Oh remember Daryl. Just has less focus, cohesiveness and interest than when I could ask "how's Herschel taking things?" In s2. These plotlines desperately need to converge. Even the train tracks had that head of steam, and a really satisfying definite conclusion. Guess we'll see.

Steejee

This show is basically just background noise for me now. I'll DVR it, watch it the next day while doing something on my laptop. I don't think I could take the pacing or stupidity if I didn't.

To make the show slightly more interesting, my head-cannon has the zombie disease causing impaired judgement in the living, as a way to improve its chances of spreading. Probably the only way a lot of the decisions on this show could be explained.

Surfinn

they're taking too much time building up to this war. the past several episodes i can recall they could have fit more storylines together instead of having some episodes focused on one set of them.
Yup with 16 episodes, they should at the very least be able to get deep into war.

This entire season has been setting that up. :/

they're taking too much time building up to this war. the past several episodes i can recall they could have fit more storylines together instead of having some episodes focused on one set of them.

Not this season. I expect a set back and another head to roll.

There has to be some type of consequence now for Sasha - and i imagine Eugene will tell Negan she is from Alexandria. So i think the last episode will end on a cliff hanger with a Negan Surprise that really starts the war for the next season.

Oh man i can see it now, Negan comes to Alexandria . Negan gets captured by rick and co and put in that jail cell they referenced in the beginning. then the scavenger people are upset because they didnt give them all of the guns they might find or something and then start a 3 way war or some crazy plot like that haha. its getting obvious on what is going to happen next.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*shrug*

I thought this episode was okay. The speechless opening was nice and we got more Simon, Daryl & Maggie convo, and some beefed up characterization for Sasha and Rosita.

I get why someone wouldn't like this one, but I didn't mind it. Well, until the last 10 or so minutes. I thought the chat in the sniper's nest went a little long. And Sasha playing Rosita like that at the end is such a copout. The pacing for this one is just a smidge off. Like you're building to this supposed suicide mission but it spends a lot of time trying to justify what's already been shown, as far as motivation. I think they're just playing with the hand they've been dealt though.

Season 2 and 3 still had way worse episodes. Oh Season 1 too.

This show's level of spread outness really pisses me off. Season 2 days you wouldnt go an ep without catching up with every interesting thread. Now its just tough to jump to this character, and 4 episodes later another tidbit.

Tonight hilltop and Rosita/sasha. Other weeks morgan/carol. Sometomes Negan. Oh remember Daryl. Just has less focus, cohesiveness and interest than when I could ask "how's Herschel taking things?" In s2. These plotlines desperately need to converge. Even the train tracks had that head of steam, and a really satisfying definite conclusion. Guess we'll see.

In my opinion, its because they are trying to emulate Game of Thrones in the aspect of characters coming in and out of focus, spreading them out over a season. The main probably with it is that when you finally get them on screen, they don't develop hardly any.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 10.4 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 7: 10.5 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 8: 10.6 million 5.1 A18-49

Episode 9: 12.0 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 11.1 million 5.3 A18-49
Episode 11: 10.4 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 12: 10.2 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 13: 10.7 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 14: 10.4 million 4.7 A18-49

Surfinn

I think a reduction in episodes is in order honestly. 10 or less would cut a lot of the filler. I think that's partly watch made season one so incredibly focused and gripping.

L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 10.4 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 7: 10.5 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 8: 10.6 million 5.1 A18-49

Episode 9: 12.0 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 11.1 million 5.3 A18-49
Episode 11: 10.4 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 12: 10.2 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 13: 10.7 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 14: 10.4 million 4.7 A18-49
Looks like the bleeding stopped.

Need some kind of arc this season. And not just a set up for next season. This season has been the television equivalent of watching someone pack luggage.

Come on walking dead, I know your better than this.
The arc was "Establish the Saviors + Rick meeting, bringing together, and building up allies"

.:Sam:.

Neo Member
I just caught up...I'm normally easily pleased with shows like this but I found myself yawning all the way through the latest episode and as soon as it started getting tense, it ended. I didn't find the cliff-hanger captivating at all -- it just frustrated me. Good job, Walking Dead.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Daryl is killing it with the emotions.

Not afraid to say I shed a tear dammit.

Got caught totally off guard by the tears too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think a reduction in episodes is in order honestly. 10 or less would cut a lot of the filler. I think that's partly watch made season one so incredibly focused and gripping.

I don't think the amount of episodes is really the problem (same for the Netflix Marvel shows) - it's the way the writers plot out the story arcs. There's nothing stopping the writers from creating 2 distinctive 8 episode arcs, yet they always opt for a more holistic approach to their seasons, which I think prevents it from being as energetic as it could be.

Surfinn

I don't think the amount of episodes is really the problem (same for the Netflix Marvel shows) - it's the way the writers plot out the story arcs. There's nothing stopping the writers from creating 2 distinctive 8 episode arcs, yet they always opt for a more holistic approach to their seasons, which I think prevents it from being as energetic as it could be.
What are they gunna plot out when they want at least two full seasons dedicated to Negan/co.? There's too many episodes. Either way, you've got to build a bridge to war and 16 episodes is clearly far too many to do that. It's set up to be filler and there's really no way to get around that with the content they're pulling from the comic.

It would be a lot different if they created their own storylines or allowed themselves leeway to branch out but they're stuck with wasting time so they don't get too far ahead. Unless that fundamentally changes, you're stuck with a boatload of filler.

I'd rather have 8-10 focused, well designed episodes instead of biding time every season.

I hope that changes.

Ecotic

One issue that's grown increasingly worse in this series is that there's not much survival-related material in this post-apocalyptic series. Food at times seems to be in sufficient supply, and other times shelves are empty but hunger and starvation never seem to be an overriding concern. There's barely any attention paid anymore to necessities like worrying about city defenses.

The walkers have stopped being threatening for many seasons now. There was a time in seasons 1 and 2 that anytime you were outside a secured area it was a reason to panic. A basic supply run was tense. Rick once had to leave Sophia and draw walkers off in a wide open woodland, but now people walk out in the woods with little worry. In earlier seasons you had walkers piling onto the prison fences and it was an ongoing problem, and once a location was breached and overrun it was given up as lost. This season the Saviors just break down The Hilltop's walls one night and let in 3 dozen walkers as a minor annoyance.

There's just a lack of the world feeling threatening.

jfkgoblue

One issue that's grown increasingly worse in this series is that there's not much survival-related material in this post-apocalyptic series. Food at times seems to be in sufficient supply, and other times shelves are empty but hunger and starvation never seem to be an overriding concern. There's barely any attention paid anymore to necessities like worrying about city defenses.

The walkers have stopped being threatening for many seasons now. There was a time in seasons 1 and 2 that anytime you were outside a secured area it was a reason to panic. A basic supply run was tense. Rick once had to leave Sophia and draw walkers off in a wide open woodland, but now people walk out in the woods with little worry. In earlier seasons you had walkers piling onto the prison fences and it was an ongoing problem, and once a location was breached and overrun it was given up as lost. This season the Saviors just break down The Hilltop's walls one night and let in 3 dozen walkers as a minor annoyance.

It makes sense though. There are much less walkers out there, and 4 years into it people are used to them and they have survived this long, meaning that they are probably pretty good at taking out walkers.

On the topic of this season: it started out strong but I am really sick of the "preparing for war" meandering the past 6-7 episodes. It's just been terrible the past few episodes, and I haven't enjoyed it as much as the beginning of the season.

It has become routine for me to stop by this thread after every episode and then wonder how so many people still watch this show despite finding just about every episode boring and or bad. Why are you guys still watching? Are you guys gluttons for punishment? I'm genuinely curious/fascinated about this. I'm not going to defend this show's shortcomings as they are plentiful, but I still find it entertaining enough to tune in every week. The way some of you make it sound though is like this is the worst shit ever. And yet you still watch. I am so confused!

JoeNut

It has become routine for me to stop by this thread after every episode and then wonder how so many people still watch this show despite finding just about every episode boring and or bad. Why are you guys still watching? Are you guys gluttons for punishment? I'm genuinely curious/fascinated about this. I'm not going to defend this show's shortcomings as they are plentiful, but I still find it entertaining enough to tune in every week. The way some of you make it sound though is like this is the worst shit ever. And yet you still watch. I am so confused!

THe last few episodes have been so bad that i am at the point where i'm sort of thinking "but surely the next one will be good"

Rinse and repeat for the whole of this second part of the series

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm gonna agree that there is too much filler and that the episode count could be to blame given that last year and this year they seemed to have a goal set for the END of the season and just had to drag themselves to that goal and if so that's a not a good approach. So last year it was the build up to negan and this year it's the build up to war with him. They knew what the starting and end point for the season were going to be but that just means they have to slow the pace down since there's just not enough material in between.

It makes sense though. There are much less walkers out there, and 4 years into it people are used to them and they have survived this long, meaning that they are probably pretty good at taking out walkers.

On the topic of this season: it started out strong but I am really sick of the "preparing for war" meandering the past 6-7 episodes. It's just been terrible the past few episodes, and I haven't enjoyed it as much as the beginning of the season.

much less walkers out there? What happened with 350 million of them? We have seen zombies that looked like they decayed for years and are somehow still walking around. Rick and co barely made a dent.

I'd like the show to move onto something else besides war. First it's the governor now it's negan and I'm pretty sure when that's done it will be someone else.. rinse and repeat. I wonder when people will be tired of it?

Coxy100

Banned

I agree with this. Although you could argue that they're better at defending themselves now etc - but I agree - the world (or walkers) is less threatening.

This season has had so much filler :(

Baleoce

Bit late on this episode but... they literally could have just waited as long as they wanted at that vantage point, but got impatient at the first failed attempt. Eugene was in no immediate danger either, especially considering the position he'd managed to obtain there. Boggles the mind.

ZeroCDR

Bit late on this episode but... they literally could have just waited as long as they wanted at that vantage point, but got impatient at the first failed attempt. Eugene was in no immediate danger either, especially considering the position he'd managed to obtain there. Boggles the mind.

Yeah, how hard could it be to have a Savior doing a perimeter check and discover them, forcing their hand. As it is it's sloppy and annoying.

When they first got to Alexandria there was a line of dialogue that there weren't many walkers in N VA because "everyone evacuated to deal with the crisis." That line always really bothered me because it's completely dismissive of the 98% of the population who doesn't have power, i. e., it's typical TV writing.

dyergram

Yeah, how hard could it be to have a Savior doing a perimeter check and discover them, forcing their hand. As it is it's sloppy and annoying.
I thought they moved because eugene said on the radio they needed to search nearby buildings. Still bullshit especially considering Sasha clearly had a shot on neagen.

Yup with 16 episodes, they should at the very least be able to get deep into war.

This entire season has been setting that up. :/
which fucking sucks. this episode fucking sucked for being a whole buildup with barely any payoff, in my opinion season 6 sucked and with the way season 7 has gone, it sucks too.
There has to be some type of consequence now for Sasha - and i imagine Eugene will tell Negan she is from Alexandria. So i think the last episode will end on a cliff hanger with a Negan Surprise that really starts the war for the next season.
Another fucking cliffhanger season finale? I wouldn't be so annoyed with this if the previous one wasn't such bullshit. That's all this show is doing now is goddamn cliffhangers

Oh man i can see it now, Negan comes to Alexandria . Negan gets captured by rick and co and put in that jail cell they referenced in the beginning. then the scavenger people are upset because they didnt give them all of the guns they might find or something and then start a 3 way war or some crazy plot like that haha. its getting obvious on what is going to happen next.
i could tell from the first meeting that those weirdos at the junkyard looked like they can't be trusted.
TV criticism is worthless.
that's not true. i didn't think this would happen but apparently viewership has dropped significantly, although there's still a huge viewership.

I really wonder how this series is going to end in the long run.

- Will all the walkers die off? They do seem like they're rotting away.

- Is every country in the world really effected? What if it didn't spread to North Korea and they drop a bomb on the US?

- Finding a cure

- Life goes on

Another fucking cliffhanger season finale? I wouldn't be so annoyed with this if the previous one wasn't such bullshit. That's all this show is doing now is goddamn cliffhangers

I think it started with the Glenn Dumpster Death Fake Out. they got a taste of some weird flavor and wanted more of it with each mid season and season finale. thats just what i think.

near

Gold Member
I really wonder how this series is going to end in the long run.

- Will all the walkers die off? They do seem like they're rotting away.

- Is every country in the world really effected? What if it didn't spread to North Korea and they drop a bomb on the US?

- Finding a cure

- Life goes on

These questions were relevant when the series was well directed. Now, anything will suffice. The thing that made TWD so good for me was the characters and there development in a post apocalyptic society. Now it is as if it's solely focused on communities and how they're suppose to function together in such a society, which was great in the Governor's story arc, that was awhile ago, now it's become repetitive in an uninteresting way. Character focused episodes are no longer meaningful like they use to be, and the existing narrative has been stretched to captivate the audience into believing these characters matter without actually placing the foundations for a satisfactory conclusion. If things don't shape up by the end of the season, I'll conclude this shit myself. :(

BFIB

These questions were relevant when the series was well directed. Now, anything will suffice. The thing that made TWD so good for me was the characters and there development in a post apocalyptic society. Now it is as if it's solely focused on communities and how they're suppose to function together in such a society, which was great in the Governor's story arc, that was awhile ago, now it's become repetitive in an uninteresting way. Character focused episodes are no longer meaningful like they use to be, and the existing narrative has been stretched to captivate the audience into believing these characters matter without actually placing the foundations for a satisfactory conclusion. If things don't shape up by the end of the season, I'll conclude this shit myself. :(
I was really hoping we'd get small bits of shown backstory on the characters before the outbreak, and after. We got a few scenes of Shane and Lori, one with Michonne. I really enjoyed FTWD first episodes as the world was breaking down. The show should had done that premise on a longer arc. Imagine some with Negan before the outbreak, that would be captivating to see how he transitioned into the character he is now.

Top Bottom