• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout 3 pics

ZombieSupaStar said:
I cant really remember any kids quests at all off the top of my head, but I never did a play through with the white label release (i have it as a backup because my US cds are scratched)

Yep, i've started the 2nd one with the killap patch, he also has the unnoficial espansion too, but it can argued if it doesnt change the "feeling" of the game....i've tried the patch and the travel between the towns are tougher because of the constant enemy appearances....

Also, it seems killap final patch includes the contents of v1.2 official one....

Shoho said:
I don't. Morrowind had flaws, but Morrowind had so many things. deserts, swamps, jungles, canyons, desert storms, golden wastelands, metropolises build by stone, small obscure fishing villages, dark castles, insane amount of dungeons/fortresses/castles/houses/small settlements, beaches, mountains, snowy areas, murky roads, generic forests, exotic forests and so on and so on... and temples.. and basilisks.. and.. and...

And oblivion? Oblivion might have been bigger, but it was just one big copy pasted randomly shit generated piece of green forests, with a bit of frost on top... f**k. I never played the expansion, but bethesda does... goddamit. god it made me hate oblivion. no point in exploring that world.

in morrowind, every rock and tree was put their by design. same with WoW. you can feel the love that went into creating does worlds, which made them fun to explore.

but oblivion. oblivion was made to be an authetnic crappy green happylands forests.. everything looked the same. it sucked. i hated it. I wanted it to die. I still do.

Oblivion may have lacked somewhat in the variety department [deserts plz], but how can say that Morrowind was the opposite? Everywhere you went it was shades of brown and oppressive, brown fog that followed you everywhere. There were no grand, snowy vistas or towers rising majestically in the distance. It was...fog and brown.

Then there's the cities. Morrowind had some decent variety there, but there were really only different takes on several basic designs. Each city in the Oblivion had a different architecture and look than the last, though there certainly could have been more small villages to explore.

And with the addition of Shivering Isles, Oblivion had some absolutely amazing places to visit and explore.

Both games have their strengths and weaknesses as far as their respective overworlds go, but I'd have to take Oblivion's as the better one.

Great Rumbler said:
Oblivion may have lacked somewhat in the variety department [deserts plz], but how can say that Morrowind was the opposite? Everywhere you went it was shades of brown and oppressive, brown fog that followed you everywhere. There were no grand, snowy vistas or towers rising majestically in the distance. It was...fog and brown.

Then there's the cities. Morrowind had some decent variety there, but there were really only different takes on several basic designs. Each city in the Oblivion had a different architecture and look than the last, though there certainly could have been more small villages to explore.

And with the addition of Shivering Isles, Oblivion had some absolutely amazing places to visit and explore.

Both games have their strengths and weaknesses as far as their respective overworlds go, but I'd have to take Oblivion's as the better one.

what?

the cities in morrowind were radically different from each other, from balmora "modern" houses to fishing ramshackle villages to those weird looking telvanni mushrooms and beyond.

the cities in oblivion were all variations of designs of stone. ooo exciting.

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Anyone know if I can replay these games on a mac? I'd like to go back and give them another runthrough before 3.

it seems killap has a fanpatch made for the mac also

http://www.killap.net/fallout2/patches/

Bluemercury said:
Yep, i've started the 2nd one with the killap patch, he also has the unnoficial espansion too, but it can argued if it doesnt change the "feeling" of the game....i've tried the patch and the travel between the towns are tougher because of the constant enemy appearances....

Also, it seems killap final patch includes the contents of v1.2 official one....

yeah I wasnt sure about that in the read me, if it meant "I included the 1.2 changes AND built off off of them, or just" I built off the 1.2 changes but you need 1.2")

ill update my post

TemplaerDude said:
what?

the cities in morrowind were radically different from each other, from balmora "modern" houses to fishing ramshackle villages to those weird looking telvanni mushrooms and beyond.

the cities in oblivion were all variations of designs of stone. ooo exciting.

Like I said, they had a few different styles that were simply repeated. Just because all three styles were different from one another doesn't change that.

And Oblivion had a Roman-style city [Anvil], ramshackle fishing village [Anvil docks and Bravil], a medieval-style city with multicolored wooden houses [Leyawiin], the northern frontier city with squat, tightly-knit houses [Bruma], the marble metropolis dominated by a huge tower [Imperial City], and a city of multi-story houses and claustrophobic streets [Skingrad].

And if you want to get into Shivering Isles, there's a crumbling city with houses up on stilts dominated by large mushrooms [Passwall], a dilapidated ruin filled with ghosts [Vitharn], a twisted and vile swamp city [Crucible], and its much-nicer counterpart [Bliss].

Morrowind had some nice looking cities, don't get me wrong here, but I'd have to give the edge to Oblivion/Shivering Isles.

Minsc

Gold Member
Great Rumbler said:
Like I said, they had a few different styles that were simply repeated. Just because all three styles were different from one another doesn't change that.

And Oblivion had a Roman-style city [Anvil], ramshackle fishing village [Anvil docks and Bravil], a medieval-style city with multicolored wooden houses [Leyawiin], the northern frontier city with squat, tightly-knit houses [Bruma], the marble metropolis dominated by a huge tower [Imperial City], and a city of multi-story houses and claustrophobic streets [Skingrad].

And if you want to get into Shivering Isles, there's a crumbling city with houses up on stilts dominated by large mushrooms [Passwall], a dilapidated ruin filled with ghosts [Vitharn], a twisted and vile swamp city [Crucible], and its much-nicer counterpart [Bliss].

Morrowind had some nice looking cities, don't get me wrong here, but I'd have to give the edge to Oblivion/Shivering Isles.

Morrowind did have an amazing UI. Light years ahead of Oblivion. There's no denying that. You have to give it credit, any game with a UI that let's you customize the size and position and type of windows that come up, and stores and remembers that, well. Damn. What happened with Oblivion?

Morrowind you could setup the map small in the upper right, a large inventory window to the left, with a large character render, then have your stats window to the right below the map, and all sized to your content. Or maybe you have a huge map, whatever size and order you want, you could do it. It was just so much better.

Anyway, I wanted to say that, and since this Fallout thread is slowing turning in to a Morrowind vs Oblivion war :lol why not.

gstaff

Just a heads up, the embargo on some new info for Fallout 3 lifted today. There's already some new preview coverage/impressions over at Destructoid/IGN/1Up/Kotaku.

There should be more on the way too.

Kafel

Banned
gstaff said:
Just a heads up, the embargo on some new info for Fallout 3 lifted today. There's already some new preview coverage/impressions over at Destructoid/IGN/1Up/Kotaku.

There should be more on the way too.

What version of the game was shown to the press ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EDIT: Sorry.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Even if this game doesn't live up to the expectations of many die-hard Fallout fans, it will most likely be one of the best RPG's in recent years.

Top Bottom