• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pro Pad is now Windows & Mac compatible

What it all comes down to is just preference and willingness to learn something. I'd say this is as if not less jarring than just getting a new car.

As for people doing the claw, I have a PC so I never have that problem. I just play genres that require movement and aiming on a mouse and keyboard. I don't view FPSs as a console game. So moot point to me.

The day that this becomes a "sync and forget" driver that pretends to be a 360 controller is the day that I'll have found the perfect PC controller. I value dpads, something Sony and MS don't.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Gamepad wireless streaming in Steam games would be phenomenal.

If it required one of those newer nVidia GPU's. Then I'd buy one for this functionality. It would be awesome.

So is this working for anyone? Added the controller to me device list but can't get it to stay connected and the program says there is no controller listed D:

dock

So, this is currently the best wireless option for PC gaming, right?

- no awful dpad (oh MS)
- you don't need (difficult to find) MS wireless adapters
- drivers are (presumably) less shady than MotionInJoy for Dual Shock 3.

How difficult is it to re-pair with Wii U after using on PC? I find this a big hassle on a lot of Bluetooth devices.

Thoraxes

- no awful dpad (oh MS)

How difficult is it to re-pair with Wii U after using on PC? I find this a big hassle on a lot of Bluetooth devices.

I haven't done it yet, but I would assume you would just hit the sync buttons, like you would when using the controller for the first time.

Rich!

Yeah, doesnt work for me.

The program throws a NET framework error before it even loads, and then the main window is blank. It then crashes. NET is up to date on my PC, so it can't be that - does this program actually work on x64 windows?

Timeless

I believe the streaming for the gamepad video is specialized hardware in the Wii U. You won't be able to send video to it over standard bluetooth, so don't get your hopes up.

Sendou

- no awful dpad (oh MS)

Well at least most games nowadays feature 360 key icons which makes it a much better experience. In my opinion that is what makes it superior. D-pad is awful though like you said and if you have to use that then maybe Pro Pad would be the best choice.

jediyoshi

- no awful dpad (oh MS)

Are these drivers actually signed? motioninjoy's springing for it makes it automatically less shady than 90% of the other homemade stuff out there.

Not sure why it was difficult trying to get ahold of the wireless drivers for you though, can't go searching for them without tripping over them in google.

In any case, not having to mess with a 360 controller emulator for most of the time and having more games properly automatically recognize it along with the stick placement is a small trade off for the dpad.

Red UFO

This is great! I've been meaning to get a 360 controller to use with my PC and this just sidesteps that problem completely!

glaurung

I thought the Pro Controller on the WiiU would be the answer to my problems.

It isn't. It has the worst face buttons ever. As for the stick placement, I can take it or leave it.

Waste of money.

I don't quite understand.
Are the analog sticks recognized?
Are they working?
That post in the linked thread in the OP just says, that analog sticks are mappable to either the D-Pad or ABXY buttons.

So where are we right now?

Well that would be a fly in the ointment. I wouldn't put anything past hardware hackers though, sounds like the guy who got the Wii U GamePad working for basic controls is trying to get streaming going as well.

Don´t be too optimistic. The guy just grabs the input of the gamepad with a script on a webpage you have to visit with the browser of your wii u. Sounds like extreme lag to me. It´s not a direct connection.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Are you aiming to get ultra RSI with that? jesus

Claw grip isn't constant. Just often in first person shooters, you've gotta aim and jump, so you flip the finger over to hit the jump button. Or pick something up with X or something like that.

FourMyle

Along with a layout that's arguably better for games that are heavy on both movement and camera control, and triggers that are also arguably better for anything that isn't a racing game.
Pretty much none of this is true from my experience. The 360 stick placement is still by far the best I've ever used for games that use all 3 dimensions.

Oh, and a good d-pad.
Yes this is definitely true. The 360 d-pad is the worst I've ever used and the transforming D-pad isn't much better.

EDIT: I don't see why the stick placement is poor. Lots of modern games have you using the sticks together most of the time. Why not put them in the "default" positions? Does it blow your mind to reach down to press face buttons instead of reaching up?

Because the 360's asymmetrical design feels much, much natural and comfortable.

It's a 360 controller with funny buttons... and poor stick placement.

original.jpg
please..
Pro controller > 360.

Its wider for a better ergonomic fit in your palms, the buttons aren't an issue cuz u get used to them after using the controller for hours.. You know.. adapting...something we all did with various other controllers.

The analog placement >>>>>>>>> 360. This pro controller is the best controller for fps games hands down. Zero discomfort, the best ergonomical modern layout controller I've ever used. I play black ops 2 with it a lot and my accuracy is noticeably improved. Its a very very good controller. Greater than the 360's for fps games which used to be my fav controller until I actually used the pro pad for days worth of gametime

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
did you ever think that maybe the Wii classic controller is just shit...?

Yes, but I was able to use it in past games just fine. I'm just saying that I'm now conditioned to use my right thumb in the upper position, I never did play many FPS games with dual analog so the transition to Wii U wasn't that difficult, going back however is.

NotLiquid

Great news. I'd love full functionality with this thing, mostly because of the D-Pad and stick placement. After shitting the bed with N64, Gamecube and Wii's D-Pad, the Classic Controller/Wii U/Pro Controller D-Pad is an absolute delight - would call it even better than Vita's.

The Lamp

I didn't realize until looking at it closely just now that the right analog stick is above the face buttons. What in the actual fuck?

Yep, Nintendo sure changed the button standard.

Oh wait
Yeah, technically the button standard was changed by Sega, and Microsoft just adopted it.

That said, I prefer Sega's take on it. With Nintendo's, the jump button often winds up on the right instead of the bottom, which never feels correct.

FLAguy954

I don't want to start an argument, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure Nintendo came out with their config first. I'm just wondering why it was changed for PC/Dreamcast in the late 90s?

For patent infringement. It's the same reason why Dual Shock controllers have four separate buttons for the d-pad, why Microsoft used a circular hat for their d-pad and different colors for their xaby buttons to not come in conflict with the Dreamcast controller, etc.

Vitet

Yeah, technically the button standard was changed by Sega, and Microsoft just adopted it.

That said, I prefer Sega's take on it. With Nintendo's, the jump button often winds up on the right instead of the bottom, which never feels correct.

Nope, jump buttons in SMW are B for normal and A for whirl

HoosTrax

For patent infringement. It's the same reason why Dual Shock controllers have four separate buttons for the d-pad, why Microsoft used a circular hat for their d-pad and different colors for their xaby buttons to not come in conflict with the Dreamcast controller, etc.
Shame. My personal ideal controller would be a 360 with a Nintendo D-Pad, wireless through Bluetooth, and no battery pack hump.

Interesting that third-parties can get away with cribbing from designs.

Thank you based Boffins!

Also, don't hate on the stick placements until you've tried them (and not given up after a minute).
They take the best of Xbox360, the upper stick placement, and the Dualshock, symmetrical sticks.

majik13

Shame. My personal ideal controller would be a 360 with a Nintendo D-Pad, wireless through Bluetooth, and no battery pack hump.

Interesting that third-parties can get away with cribbing from designs.

Pro pad has all that, except being a 360 controller.Its also extremely light and the battery lasts 80hrs

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Pro pad has all that, except being a 360 controller.Its also extremely light and the battery lasts 80hrs

Some people(most "hardcore" gamers) are averse to change. They've been playing with the right stick where it is since the PS1. I bet most would really like it if they used it and gave it a chance to change their mind instead of going in trying to prove how wrong Nintendo is.

Some people(most "hardcore" gamers) are averse to change. They've been playing with the right stick where it is since the PS1. I bet most would really like it if they used it and gave it a chance to change their mind instead of going in trying to prove how wrong Nintendo is.

The Wii U Pro set up is imho ideal for FPS games.
You need both of your thumbs at the sticks at all times, ready to pull the trigger at any time.

I mean, you already got your left thumb up there all the time in most games, are you suggesting that the left thumb is physiologically different from the right one, making placing it up uncomfortable or something?

Nope, jump buttons in SMW are B for normal and A for whirl
Not a valid argument. I said it often does, not it always does, so one counterexample doesn't knock down my argument.

All the Kirby games on the DS use A for jump, including Super Star Ultra, despite Super Star on the SNES using B. Paper Mario: Sticker Star uses A. Mario Kart DS and 7 use A to accelerate instead of B (but, at least in 7's case, you can use Y, too). Wii VC and 3DS VC use A as the A button, despite B being more comfortable (Wii U VC finally lets you customize button controls, something I would wish would carry back to 3DS VC as well, although I'm not holding my breath).

So yes, this happens. And when it happens, it sucks.

Vitet

Not a valid argument. I said it often does, not it always does, so one counterexample doesn't knock down my argument.

All the Kirby games on the DS use A for jump, including Super Star Ultra, despite Super Star on the SNES using B. Paper Mario: Sticker Star uses A. Mario Kart DS and 7 use A to accelerate instead of B (but, at least in 7's case, you can use Y, too). Wii VC and 3DS VC use A as the A button, despite B being more comfortable (Wii U VC finally lets you customize button controls, something I would wish would carry back to 3DS VC as well, although I'm not holding my breath).

So yes, this happens. And when it happens, it sucks.

But Paper Mario: SS sucks, so my argument is valid

Now seriously, NSMB, NSMB2, NSMBU, Super Mario 3D Land...

I can't remember any main Mario game you can't jump with B, not counting of course the special controls in the Wii with SMG/SMG2 with the Wiimote

But Paper Mario: SS sucks, so my argument is valid

Now seriously, NSMB, NSMB2, NSMBU, Super Mario 3D Land...

I can't remember any main Mario game you can't jump with B, not counting of course the special controls in the Wii with SMG/SMG2 with the Wiimote
Your argument is invalid because it doesn't address the argument I made at all.

I'm saying that it sucks when games use A for jump instead of B. You respond by saying "this one game uses B for jump!" Okay, so? The games that use A for jump still exist. My argument hasn't been touched. And yet, you go "nope", as if this one example somehow renders all the other examples nonexistent. Surely everyone can see how this is illogical.

It's like if I was discussing how great the Metroid Prime series is, and then somebody charged in saying "nope, Other M is shit". That may be, but it has absolutely no bearing on the original assertion: Metroid Prime is still great despite Other M existing. Just like how games on Nintendo consoles using A to jump, which happen frequently, are annoying to control, even when they got it down pat during the SNES era, and occasionally get it right now.

They released version 1.2 which fixes some of the weird things that 2.1 did. Download

Changes 1.1 made:
New features:
Added turbo buttons, press desired button + home to active, then again to deactivate, home button cannot be made turbo.
Analogs can now be used to control the mouse.
Each analog can now have 4 of its own custom button mappings.
Added a analog calibration feature.
Buttons can now simulate mouse clicks.
And 1.2:
Fixed mouse movement, no longer limited to 45 degree angles.
Fixed R button mouse click option.

It's still not great, but it's something. Really looking forward to when you can use it as a 360 controller.

EDarkness

Can this controller work through the USB charging cable instead of Bluetooth? I haven't tried it yet, but I'd prefer not to use Bluetooth if possible.

Can this controller work through the USB charging cable instead of Bluetooth? I haven't tried it yet, but I'd prefer not to use Bluetooth if possible.

Yeah, i'd love this to be my controller that finally lets me play console games on my Mac.

edit: oh well, i'll wait for them to tighten up the connection then.

Top Bottom