• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

What if random means like the rockets have 4 different places it can spawn across the map?

So the timer is still the same but location changes, more competitive players/teams will be able to still try and lock them down but it spreads the team out to try and lock them down?

A little benefit/risk scenario.

That is honestly what I expect is happening.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What if, before a weapon drop, a team has to capture a point (like in Territories or Invasion) to activate the weapon drop? Having an on-the-fly, dynamic objective thrown into the middle of a game could conceivably be cool... Maybe. Kind of.

This all sounds terrible compared to fixed weapon spawns.

Woorloog

Banned
What if random means like the rockets have 4 different places it can spawn across the map?

So the timer is still the same but location changes, more competitive players/teams will be able to still try and lock them down but it spreads the team out to try and lock them down?

This would mean you need to control these locations, so the map control would still be there.

Alternatively PWs have fixed locations where they spawn but WHAT spawns varies.

Redford

aka Cabbie
What if, before a weapon drop, a team has to capture a point (like in Territories or Invasion) to activate the weapon drop? Having an on-the-fly, dynamic objective thrown into the middle of a game could conceivably be cool... Maybe. Kind of.

Question is, why can't we just keep that as a separate gametype? We aren't even getting a beta to try it out and it's going to be a near-universal feature across MM.

Doesn't sit well with me. So one team tries to go for one area, and the other another and one of them gets the benefit for no reason other than a flip of the coin?

heckfu

Banned
This would mean you need to control these locations, so the map control would still be there.

Alternatively PWs have fixed locations where they spawn but WHAT spawns varies.

Exactly right about map control. That's what people say is part of the definitive halo and I 100% agree. But by having random placements/fixed times it will make the team say "stay together and get team-kills or have a higher risk dying to get each player on one of the spawns."

I don't think that sounds terrible at all.

feel

There will be classic playlists at launch guys, relax

Classic will be reach gameplay with Sprint, jetpack etc

Booshka

So much shit has happened and I have no idea what is going on. This thread exploded in the day that I haven't read it, someone summarize.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't sit well with me. So one team tries to go for one area, and the other another and one of them gets the benefit for no reason other than a flip of the coin?

That's definitely how it would play out, yeah.

From a character design standpoint, I don't really like how the elite's skin is exposed on the arms and how rough it is. All the previous games have established that Elites have armored limbs, wear black bodysuits under their armor, and have smooth, shark like skin. Why such a drastic change to the design? Is it just to show off the (admittedly pretty awesome) bump mapping you have going on?

Plus the silliness of combat armor that leaves your limbs completely exposed.

barth

Neo Member
I woukd like to know one thing that noone seems to be mentioning - what about the pick-up versions of Active Camouflage and Overshield.
Camo is back as an AA, so the other version is propably out, but since there is no word about Armor Lock than maybe the OS makes a comback. I sure as hell hope so.

TheOddOne

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY ARE YOU SAYING THESE SENSIBLE THINGS?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
From a character design standpoint, I don't really like how the elite's skin is exposed on the arms and how rough it is. All the previous games have established that Elites have armored limbs, wear black bodysuits under their armor, and have smooth, shark like skin. Why such a drastic change to the design? Is it just to show off the (admittedly pretty awesome) bump mapping you have going on?

It's pointed out in the first mission that the Elites aren't wearing proper military gear. There's reasons for that.

I think those elites went rogue. Can't afford the best armor

Woorloog

Banned
Mmm, Halo 3: Mythic disc has excellent menu musics... Far better than Reach's menu music. I hope Halo 4 menu musics are more like 3's.

JonCha

Read Frankie's statement, and I still believe that this does feel like Halo. In a way, I feel a little sorry for them: we have no context outside of the write-up.

I believe that they know what they are doing, and I believe these changes will be a success. Yes they look like trash, but like I said from the outset I believe this will be the best Halo title since 2. That's easy to laugh at, but I think I'm right.

daedalius

Single player stuff and spartan ops sounds amazing. And looks incredibly amazing; I don't even want to know how long their environment artists spent on the rooms in those shots :p

Multiplayer sounds fine with a few things that I don't agree with, but will wait for more information before getting too bent out of shape. Looking forward to next sparkcast.

I'll try and play some halo 3. No promises that my box will hold out, however.

Also I had a dream about playing Halo 4 on The Pit that somehow filled me with a confidence in this game I can't shake. Stupid subconscious.

There will be classic playlists at launch guys, relax

Classic will be reach gameplay with Sprint, jetpack etc

Shouldn't need to fragment the game on day 1 just to give people a fair game.

My only real issue with MP I'm hearing at this point is the random weapon spawns and instant respawns. It was pretty obvious based on the last info we got that customs loadouts were coming, and if they do them right, they could be a nice addition to the game. Certainly being able to choose your primary and secondary starting weapon is nice. Ends the awful matchmaking and sandbox fragmentation of AR vs BR/DMR starts.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Read Frankie's statement, and I still believe that this does feel like Halo. In a way, I feel a little sorry for them: we have no context outside of the write-up.

I believe that they know what they are doing, and I believe these changes will be a success. Yes they look like trash, but like I said from the outset I believe this will be the best Halo title since 2. That's easy to laugh at, but I think I'm right.

The return of AA's is the most worrying for me, since we know they play like shit.

I feel kind of the same as you though.

daedalius

My only real issue with MP I'm hearing at this point is the random weapon spawns and instant respawns. It was pretty obvious based on the last info we got that customs loadouts were coming.

Well Frank did say there was a lot of misinterpretation about the 'random' weapon spawns right now.

We really are lacking quite a bit of context about... well everything. I certainly don't mind custom loadouts, means I never have to have AR starts again.

Well Frank did say there was a lot of misinterpretation about the 'random' weapon spawns right now.

We really are lacking quite a bit of context about... well everything. I certainly don't mind custom loadouts, means I never have to have AR starts again.

That's true, but even if the setup for weapon spawns is not as bad as it could be, it's still random weapon spawns. I don't see how that could be a good thing.

Side note about Reach: The MLG playlist is literally Slayer Sanctuary. There is nothing else.

Redford

aka Cabbie
They take 'em out of Reach only to put them back in. the implementation HAS to have changed.

Yeah.

I said worrying, not game-breaking. If AAs are the most of my worries, I'd say that's pretty good, all other changes considered.

I think Forerunner vision is pretty cool and surprisingly passive. It's useful to know where people are, but it's more than likely going to promote users into chasing good players and getting kiled.

Booshka

For Halo 5 I want vehicle power-ups. For example, a shield for my warthog, thrusters to jump over obstacles, and regenerative health.

Even better, when you splatter a player, your vehicle will get the Armor Ability they had selected. Jetpacking Warthogs confirmed for Halo 5.

That's true, but even if the setup for weapon spawns is not as bad as it could be, it's still random weapon spawns. I don't see how that could be a good thing.
If the weapon spawns were dynamic, so they dropped at team-neutral positions (calculated in real-time on current player positions and vectors), it would encourage players to leave their camp zones and fight for the power weapons. It would improve map utilization, and create more varied encounters. It's worth a try, apparently.

Redford

aka Cabbie
If you had to secure some kind of intel that would tell you about an imminent weapon drop, that would be alright. Don't know if someone suggested that yet.

dontbelievehislies.png

Fuck Halo. I'm done. This is absurd. I can't believe it's real.

Woorloog

Banned
Fucking hate my router. It turn NAT on without asking me...
Reset router: WiFi stops working.
Turn off router: the switch is nigh broken and needs to be pressed very strongly to turn it back on.
Now to check the router settings... Still willing to play Halo 3, once i can figure this out.

EDIT Found NAT options. Enabled or disabled? Which one it should be? Manual config is going to be difficult as i have no idea what to do really..
EDIT preset settings for Xbox Live 360, allowed... let's see if this works.

EDIT OMFG!!! Now the fucking Xbox cannot connect to my router. FUCK.

feel

My only real issue with MP I'm hearing at this point is the random weapon spawns and instant respawns. It was pretty obvious based on the last info we got that customs loadouts were coming, and if they do them right, they could be a nice addition to the game. Certainly being able to choose your primary and secondary starting weapon is nice. Ends the awful matchmaking and sandbox fragmentation of AR vs BR/DMR starts.
I'm all for minimal fragmentation, but the people who want nothing to do with armor abilities shouldn't have to just sit there twiddling their thumbs expecting a miracle in Halo 5.

Top Bottom