• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

senador

Banned
Yeah, you need the $3.99 version for it to look good on the iPad. And yeah, it's kinda lame.

Yup. To add to this. There are iPhone and iPad apps. iPad can run both iPad and iPhone apps. In the app store, they are separated by type. Make sure to browse the iPad section, then fall back to iPhone if there isn't an iPad option.

To make this confusing, some apps are universal, meaning they have one version that works on both but changes according to what device it's on.

barth

Neo Member
If there are "ranks". Just levels now:/

Just say Ranks, customization to classic halo if wanted, good br/dmr, good maps" and I'll stfu until Winter 2012.

Yup, I need just something to hopr for, 'cause right now I think that I'll never visit the matchmaking part of multiplayer (unless there's a classic playlist somewhere in there).

TheOddOne

Have you searched for the Elite on Elite stuff? Some good shit out there.
Shocked-At-The-Grenades-He-Did-Sex-With.gif

You learn disgusting things daily. Geez.

Mostly hemp-based shapes.
Hahahahahha!

Hey guys, what if your armor ability energy didn't recharge?
Instead you had to refuel your energy from around the map.
Kind of like old overshield and camo, you had to pick them up and one time use.

If they are going to keep those haphazardly slapped on abilities for Halo 4, I think that would be a.. better... way to do it.

Sai-kun

Banned
The magazine scans were always going to come out the day after the cover debuted, that almost always happens. We can't talk about the story in detail, because it is GI's exclusive. I will say that some of the things that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example) but we will be able to clarify some of those things in due time.

Some of the other features, abilities, are also being discussed with no context (not your guys' fault, obviously) and frankly, a video of TS would probably allay many of the especially hysterical reactions, but we're not there yet.

We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story) and we will clarify a lot of this stuff 100% in the coming weeks and months. SOME of the things in here won't be properly understood outside of a holistic experience (modes, progress, fictional setting, etc) but I am going to say one thing and leave it at that:

It feels like Halo, it does NOT feel or act like the other game(s) it's being compared to. Again, without playing it, you can't be blamed for jumping to certain conclusions.

You give me so much hope, Frankie, but still...

aksf;laksfjasfkja;sfj.

Mostly hemp-based shapes.

high command yeahhhhh

GhaleonEB

Yeah, you need the $3.99 version for it to look good on the iPad. And yeah, it's kinda lame.

Okay, thanks. I really don't understand why they would make that version even visible to the iPad; it's clearly the iPhone resolution. Naturally, I bought like, three $0.99 versions. Dammit.

This short GIF looks so good that I can't see how the game could completely suck. Can't wait for more infos.

That's kind of been my reaction as well. It's clear to me that they nailed the fundamentals from the videos we've seen. And I really like that they've take a core set of six weapons are so, are balancing them, and building the sandbox out from there. That really sounds like the core game will be solid.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
If you can state, can we have classic halo for competitive use like weapon spawns and spawn times etc to use in customs/playlists? Would calm a lot of people going off on MLG right now and lower pitchforks<3

please Frankie can you or something

Homeboyd

Okay, thanks. I really don't understand why they would make that version even visible to the iPad; it's clearly the iPhone resolution.
It's for people who have an iphone with games/apps etc.. that share/sync the apps with their ipad. Rather than having the app crash, it loads (and gives you the option of enlarging) so you can at least play it if you really wanted to without buying the better, but more expensive, version.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I've had the worst last 2 nights of sleep in a long time. Feel like shit. :/

Dax, good idea about the doing the podcast in a Halo lobby. I do question the audio quality though. But like Havok said, I might just have to have everyone record their audio locally and then I'll do the mixing later.

Also, not gonna go hunting for these scans. This whole leak is just annoying. I'm gonna wait and just buy it. Do we know when it hit news stands?

Today is Halo 3 day? I would much rather just play Reach but I might hop on for a few games tonight or whenever.

It seems everyone is thinking about these revelations in the context of current mechanics, when in all likelihood, things like AAs, even Sprint are going to work differently, perhaps radically differently.

For instance, weapon drops could be dynamic, taking current player positions to create neutral spawns on the fly...

It seems everyone is thinking about these revelations in the context of current mechanics, when in all likelihood, things like AAs, even Sprint are going to work differently, perhaps radically differently.

For instance, weapon drops could be dynamic, taking current player positions to create neutral spawns on the fly...

Agreed. Context is key.

senador

Banned
Okay, thanks. I really don't understand why they would make that version even visible to the iPad; it's clearly the iPhone resolution. Naturally, I bought like, three $0.99 versions. Dammit.

The iPhone resolution is almost the same as iPad 2, but for some reason they decided to zoom the app when you choose 2x instead of displaying natively. On the iPad 3, it shows it's natively at 2x and let's it use it's retina graphics. They should let iPad 2 do this as well as it'd make all apps look much better. I imagine there is some reason buy I can't think of one really other than the 3 and iPhone both have the retina displays.

Dax, good idea about the doing the podcast in a Halo lobby. I do question the audio quality though. But like Havok said, I might just have to have everyone record their audio locally and then I'll do the mixing later.

Also, not gonna go hunting for these scans. This whole leak is just annoying. I'm gonna wait and just buy it. Do we know when it hit news stands?

Today is Halo 3 day? I would much rather just play Reach but I might hop on for a few games tonight or whenever.

Party chat?
Quality is much better in there than in game chat.

Also is everyone forgetting that certain weapon spawns showed up on the HUD?
So maybe the positions are random, but then it marks it on your HUD to show you where it will spawn.

Trey

I think I'm beginning to come around to instant respawns. And I figured I must have been imagining the worst in regards to random weapon respawns. But I do not like Forerunner vision.

TheOddOne

Eventually this is what matters. Still, this all sounds just too unreal; people will vent regardless.

Maybe the weapons aren't really random but more of a rotation like in Gears 2. For those who don't know, there were set weapon points but the weapons that appeared would rotate.

So you didn't have a sniper in one spot every time, sometimes it would be Torque bow for example.

Karl2177

Party chat?

So maybe the positions are random, but then it marks it on your HUD to show you where it will spawn.

The Xbox mics are shit and you need a good mic in order for it to be good. The best course of action is a Skype call with everyone recording their own voices.

Havok

Party chat?
Still sounds about a million times worse than a direct line recording. Xbox Live audio codecs are all pretty bad. With separate recordings, you have more fine control over levels.

Nobody is forgetting that. Elite and Invasion Skirmish have a HUD element to show weapon drops. It's a clusterfuck and makes map knowledge that much less useful.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Party chat?

So maybe the positions are random, but then it marks it on your HUD to show you where it spawns.
That could work but the quality of my voice would still be much higher quality than everyone elses because it's also being recording locally. I'm in no rush, this podcast is still a little while away. There's still a lot to figure out.

senador

Banned

I think it's pretty safe to assume these things will work different, even radically different. They look at Reach and the past games and see how they can progress them and adjust things.

Kibbles

Aren't XBL party chats of higher quality now? Get everyone together in a XBL party chat.

edit: lttp

Ramirez

Well, with Ellis saying some stuff has changed since the mag preview, an Frank saying stuff is being taken out of context, I have to wonder what the hell you guys were telling GI at the time of the story. Letting them unleash all of these terrible sounding ideas without good clarification is complete fail.

Nobody is forgetting that. Elite and Invasion Skirmish have a HUD element to show weapon drops. It's a clusterfuck and makes map knowledge that much less useful.

Well it is still better than completely random spawns.
I'm just trying to remain positive about vanilla Halo 4.
I don't want another segmented game where I must rely only on custom games for fun.

I think Monday.

That's your main concern?
I was overstating things. Context. Honestly, the "as a man" comments are a little ambiguous and people are being left confused. The handling of Cortana's rampancy is more pressing. If 343 nails it, it will be awesome.
Thank you, sir.
We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story)
Trying to keep you on your toes, Mr. O'Connor.
Yeah it was just a suggestion. It may or may not be extra work. I think it'd be easier for people to get on to your show if it's done that way. If you're fully committed to this it can turn out great, bro, good luck.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think my biggest question after taking it all in is how can there not be a beta? From what I've read, it sounds like Halo's being revamped completely, how can you not let fans experience the changes?

Just a thought about the random power weapon drops: minus the Invasion Skirmish suggestion earlier, the only way I could see them being implemented "weapon drop"-style would be in Spartan Ops, where I have a feeling the maps are going to be more campaign-like (bigger vistas, fairly open maps and not too many overhead ceilings, much like Firefight maps now), and then traditional multiplayer will either see standard weapon layouts or Invasion Skirmish-style stuff depending on gametype/playlist.

kylej

Banned
Singleplayer sounds interesting, Spartan OPs sound really cool, especially the fiction behind it all. However, and this is the killer for me, the multiplayer sounds terrible.

I've read the entire thing through and each and every change they've implemented is drawing from inspiration outside of a Halo game. When 343 kept reiterating their love for the franchise, and that the people were hired because they understood the franchise, I have to laugh. They clearly haven't understood what made the games tick for me and my friends who adored 2 and 3.

Honestly this is worse than I could've ever imagined, especially after all the things Frank has said about conserving what makes Halo, Halo.

Loadouts? Are you fucking kidding me. Unlockable perks? Jesus fucking christ. Instant spawning? Good job getting that extermination, means jack shit. Random weapon spawns? Holy Moses, this really isn't Halo anymore.

My hype has been slashed to shreds with a single cover story.

Pretty much. This game is going to be a catastrophic bomb. You cannot beat Call of Duty at their own game, because they created and own that marketshare. COD players are going to try Halo out, struggle with the locked 24fps or aesthetic differences between it and COD, and go back to playing their favorite game. They're not going to be swayed by some carbon copy turd with aliens in it. It's like me creating a search engine called Googlee, making the background black, and changing the search results from what people are used to. You really my product is going to take on the original Google?

What a creatively bankrupt game.

CyReN

Hahaha I can't wait to hear the halo council go nuts over this information.
Poor Cyren has to be the bearer of bad news to them lol.

I'm not sure how "close" Gandhi and friends follow Halo, trying to get someone like u4iX on the show to discuss the situation, news, and responses. As always Frankie and Ellis are invited:D

ps: The twitter bombs have stopped too. Apologizes about that from a few weeks back.

Fuchsdh

Can't really go hunting through recent posts on my phone right now. Has Frankie or Ellis told us/suggested when we're going to get Sparkast: Damage Control podcast?

senador

Banned
Pretty much. This game is going to be a catastrophic bomb. You cannot beat Call of Duty at their own game, because they created and own that marketshare. COD players are going to try Halo out, struggle with the locked 24fps or aesthetic differences between it and COD, and go back to playing their favorite game. They're not going to be swayed by some carbon copy turd with aliens in it. It's like me creating a search engine called Googlee, making the background black, and changing the search results from what people are used to. You really my product is going to take on the original Google?

What a great and intelligent analogy. Lol. :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

holy shit. and wow. you have never been a level headed halo "fan" but shesh, relax.

EDIT: fuck, ignore list isnt working...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen multiple people interpret the "exploring chief as a man" line as "Chief's gonna show Cortana his brute zone". Some people have really strange concepts of masculinity.

holy shit. and wow. you have never been a level headed halo "fan" but shesh, relax
Level headed? When nearly everything we've heard about Halo 4 multiplayer sounds like trash? What's there to be level headed about? Everything is skewed pretty heavily towards "garbage" right now.

All we got is faith in 343. And if their track record with Reach is any indication, they'll make amazing decisions, unmake some of those amazing decisions, and then make completely baffling decisions.

heckfu

Banned
Oh my god was this thread fantastic today. Randoms and juniors aplenty renouncing halo and threatening rentals instead of preorders (and being serious!) and getting all sad.

I'm still jazzed for this game. Sue me.

The only thing I don't like at this point are the instant respawns. No more wiping out the other team and moving in for a flag steal/bomb plant.

Top Bottom