• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Blizzard

Banned
Well if it's not the ghost house then it's possible that you forgot to get the exit in Forest of Illusion 1.

There isn't any other exits that double back on a route you've already opened. Here's a full map of the game with all the exits found. Maybe it will help you spot the exit you missed. http://deanyd.net/smw/images/7/72/WorldMap.png
Nope, the problem was that I didn't realize one of the final Bowser's Valley levels would be a double exit (one side goes to the star) so I had only counted it as one. Once I revealed it I realized it would count as two in the future. Thanks though!

RobRSG

Hey guys, just finished the game.

Ended up going through Castle 6 normal route, then used Star Road shortcut through Vanilla Secret 1. 56 exits.

RZiac1J.jpg

#morton
#euro

Catvoca

Banned
Beat the game yesterday for the first time! Not sure I'll bother with 96 exits, ended up getting around 60. It's probably blasphemy here to say this but I think playing through and finally finishing Super Mario World has just affirmed to me that I don't love 2D Mario games. Don't get me wrong, they're all good games, but I just don't seem to enjoy playing them nearly as much as the people who herald them
as some of the greatest ever.

Still gotta play Yoshi's island though, so I'll see how I feel about that one! I want to play Super Mario Bros. 2/USA as well, as I've never got around to playing more than 10 minutes of it before.

#morton
#euro

nny

#goomba

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/qFV4Ale.jpg[/img]

creeeepy.

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/FurNLaJ.jpg[/img]

traveler

Not Wario
Horrendous pic incoming. Used the same signature + date as the other day. Don't know why I bothered putting the date on it in the first place.

#luigi

Just finished this in the wee hours of the morning. The special stages are definitely the hardest content in the game. Outrageous feels tougher than Tubular to me, but Tubular's difficulty stems from more of its moments being do or die whereas Outrageous has at least a little margin for error.

Also, everyone had me scared about pulling off the Cheese Bridge Area exit, but from the moment I entered the bridge to finishing it, it took a couple minutes. Didn't die once. All told, one of the easier secret exits I got. The ease seemed to come from having BOTH the cape and Yoshi. Yoshi definitely seems easier than just the cape, but having both makes it super manageable. You can skip basically the entire stage up till the exit if you take the right landing spots on the way, and just fly back up in the air, so you don't risk losing Yoshi and your cape. Sacrificing Yoshi to make the jump at the right time is very easy when you're floating down slowly with the cape too.

Also, I didn't know about the blocks you can control even after beating the game. I got super frustrated with trying to figure out how they chose a direction to go in and got lucky each time I was supposed to be controlling them lol. Found out afterwards and did a real facepalm.

Headed to bed now. I'll give a glitch skip a try sometime tomorrow or Sunday.

Edit: Passport to date. Hoping to add one more stamp to this before moving on to the next game:

IkXWFhi.jpg

PsionBolt

I've been meaning to take on these challenges ever since I saw the thread, but haven't ever got around to it yet -- maybe this weekend is finally the time. The 96 exit world record is like an hour and a half, so surely I can manage it in two days.

I'll probably go for ACE as the star goal. If you're gonna break stuff, go for broke, I say. Pun fully intended!

EDIT: Gosh golly gee, this item swap thingy is tough!

#morton

This has probably been answered, but how can I get back to title screen on snes classic mini from the “Th End” screen? Resetting only loads up my previous save, not the one with the game completed. Or was it this way originally too? Can’t remember...

Tron999

Did it! Got 96*. I was down 2 levels, and it was valley ghost house and a forest level. Took me awhile to find that!

ic4EnX3.jpg

#morton #luigi

KayMote

rsz_img_20171014_200218.jpg

Finally! I was so stupid! For the last two days I was trying to find the last missing exit, so I beat all the ghost houses again, the entire forrest again, the entire star world again... basically EVERYTHING with two exits again. And now I've just realized: I haven't beaten Butter Bridge 2, yet! I think what happened in my playthrough, was that I was too afraid of skipping all the levels of the Vanilla Domel by discovering the secret levels that early, so I said to myself: for now I return to the normal levels and get back to Butter Bridge 2 later. So I returned and now with Castle #4 already beaten and because this level is yellow on the map, I assumed that I have already beaten it. *facepalm*

#morton
#luigi

Reminder for those joining us late, there is NO DEADLINE for doing these. You can continue to do the Mario goals during Punch-Out timeline and for all the time forward as well.

CassSept

I played the first two circuits of Super Punch-Out!! this morning.

Where are my goals?! I NEED THEM

I'm nearing the end but geeze, I can't fathom doing this one without saving before individual fighters. I think I'd lose my mind a) getting to special circuit at all; b) getting through special circuit.

gameburke

Neo Member
I’m surprised how much of the game I remembered. Only had to look up a couple secret exits.
#morton
l9TKCWr.jpg

#luigi
APBgFYw.jpg

#goomba
o30lxzI.jpg

I spent about an hour trying the orb glitch. Decided to try to start the level over, ran over to the pipe, got it first time! I swear I did it correctly dozens of times, but I’m guessing I saw the catcher and messed up memory for the glitch? So if it’s just not working for you, try to restart the level and have a fresh run at it.

jholmes

I’m surprised how much of the game I remembered. Only had to look up a couple secret exits.
#morton
l9TKCWr.jpg

#luigi
APBgFYw.jpg

#goomba
o30lxzI.jpg

I spent about an hour trying the orb glitch. Decided to try to start the level over, ran over to the pipe, got it first time! I swear I did it correctly dozens of times, but I’m guessing I saw the catcher and messed up memory for the glitch? So if it’s just not working for you, try to restart the level and have a fresh run at it.

You need the piranha plant alive to make the glitch work. All the tutorials online say it doesn't matter but it's required. Maybe that was it.

If you're missing one exit, it's probably the secret exit of Forest Ghost House, which leads back to the first level of the area. If you already had gotten the secret exit of that first level, there was already a road leading to the Ghost House. Meaning, that the secret exit of the Ghost House does not create a new road; it paves over an existing one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Click to move to the new thread.

You can still submit goals or talk about SMW in this thread. You can also submit SMW goals in the Super Punch-Out!! thread. Any goal can be submitted in any SNES Classic Club thread at any time.

traveler

Not Wario
Assuming if I just go ahead and make a save state for my 96* saved SMW run, I can load that state and save again should I corrupt end up corrupting my save with the orb glitch. Is that correct?

Done. I also did Cyan's challenge of doing the Palace Switches last. Honestly, it didn't add that much of a challenge, lol. The game is already too piss-easy. There might have been one time or two where I could have used a mushroom from a yellow block in one of the castles, but that's it.

Can't wait to get to Yoshi's Island. It's crazy how much better of a game it is than this one. While playing World tonight, I also realized how Super Mario Bros. 3 is a much better game. I might make a thread on it at some point. But I'll probably play through 3 again first. It's been maybe six years since I played it last.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ofL1oqr.jpg[/IMG]

#euro
#morton
#luigi

edit:

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/d1xl5r1.png[/IMG]

traveler

Not Wario

#goomba

That took... way more tries than I expected after seeing what looked like the right sequence of events happen with no orb produced 1, 2, 4, 10, etc. times. Don't know how runners landed it with such consistency in the past, but, still, it's done. The last goal complete! Time to move on to Super Punch Out. Saved a save state before and after the orb glitch so I can use it whenever I want now. Don't think my save was screwed up anyways.

Edit: The pirahna had to be alive?!?!? Oh god, that was it. I killed it nearly all of my runs.

Blizzard

Banned
Done. I also did Cyan's challenge of doing the Palace Switches last. Honestly, it didn't add that much of a challenge, lol. The game is already too piss-easy. There might have been one time or two where I could have used a mushroom from a yellow block in one of the castles, but that's it
I think it's worth pointing out that even a game that's "piss-easy" like this one can takes me 15-25 tries, or 40+ minutes straight of effort, on certain levels. Even if I'm trying to cheese with a cape or blue yoshi. Even a game that's so easy for players like you becomes frustrating to the point of not being fun late in the game, for me.

If the game was balanced for where it's hard enough for you, I think it would marginalize a lot of us completely out. :(

Also I don't like glitches and don't want to risk corrupting my save, so I'm skipping the final goal. This is sad because Princess Toadstool is my favorite! I wish I could count the switch challenge for that instead.

gameburke

Neo Member
You need the piranha plant alive to make the glitch work. All the tutorials online say it doesn't matter but it's required. Maybe that was it.

I did kill the piranha the first time, could be that. I know what you mean though, I watched all different kinds of tutorials, they all did it slightly different and they all weren’t super clear. One killed the piranha, but quickly did the glitch right after. Maybe the coin from the piranha counts toward the sprite count or something.

Blizzard

Banned
It took maybe 30 minutes of practice yesterday and 20-25 minutes today until I finally beat Outrageous. I'm terrified of what Funky and the Bowser's Castle levels are going to be like.

*edit* About 6 minutes for Funky, that wasn't near as bad.

noquarter

Been playing SMW off and on for the past week and really don't care for it. Played it when it originally came out and again on the GBA and now thibk I'm kind of done with the game as a whole.

The game only has a few powerups, cape, flower, mushroom, P balloon and Lakitu's cloud. I do like the cape, it is different from the Tanooki suit while still giving a similar ability. Learning to fly with it is one of the better parts of the game. The P balloon sucks, don't care foe it at all. Taking Lakitu's cloud is cool, but you really only have a few chances to get it. Mushroom and flower are just staples, so whatever. Do think it is dumb that if you get hit, the reserve falls automatically. Also think the checkpoint mushroom is stupid, since if you die you are still small starting from there.

Yoshi is eh. Really was awesome when I was a kid, but I don't really care to use him on the game. It is nice that he can walk on stuff that Mario can't, wish they would have used that more than they did. Also not a fan of baby Yoshi, although if I could keep him from growing I would like him in the Water levels.

And onto the levels. They found a way to make the Water levels even worse in this game. The blue fish suck. They littered some of the levels with them and, I think, over used them. If they just used them to block secrets or coins, I probably wouldn't mind them as much. Instead there is one or two levels where you have to wake them up and then have a school of green fish show up as well. If you are small, you kind of get fucked on these portions and end up having to time waking a fish up after a school would show up.

Not a fan of the world's either. None of them really have character. Almost all the levels could be anywhere in the game and it wouldn't seem out of place. None of them really stick out and make me want to go back to them, which is a shame. And Forest of Illusion is just shitty design. Think the only cool thing about the world's is Star Road and the location of Donut Secret 2.

The levels, for the most part, are designed well and are fun to play once or twice, but very few make me want to replay them. I've played the game multiple times over the last twenty years and still don't find any of them that memorable. Star Road has some of the most memorable levels, but they aren't really that challenging.

The enemies are something else I really don't care for in this game. Chargin' Chuck and Rip Van Fish both suck, but Chargin' Chuck doesn't even look like he belongs in a Mario game. Why the fuck is there an American football player throwing baseballs in this game? It really doesn't make any sense and it was a shame to see them return in 3D World.

The game does play good. I do like playing some of the levels and might spend some time doing any% speed runs, but think this might be the last time I play through the whole game again. Probably won't even get all 96 exits this time.

Blizzard

Banned
Been playing SMW off and on for the past week and really don't care for it. Played it when it originally came out and again on the GBA and now thibk I'm kind of done with the game as a whole.
I've seen the game multiple times over the years, and I'm nearly done with a 96 exit run over several days. I agree with pretty much all of your criticisms.

*edit* Side note, I've never ever seen the 50-star bonus, only 40 stars.

tm24

Wooo. I forgot about how weird the Princess Peach sprite looks here. Orb glitch was done on the first try. Was kinda mindblowing. And i discovered that it's possible to get sent through a wall if you try spin jumping and jumping through a bunch of yellow blocks and die. That was a fun discovery

#morton
#luigi
#goomba

Blizzard

Banned
Larry's Castle is such frustrating and disappointing design for the final normal castle in the game. Even for a bad player like me, the first section is easy to do almost every single time without fail as tiny Mario, yet it's not followed by a checkpoint.

As a result, when you die in the second section, you're forced to replay about 2 minutes of mindless autoscroller. The first 45 seconds alone consists of simply sitting on a platform waiting on the thing to come by. Maybe there's a trick I don't know about if you have a cape, who knows.

The second section has one of the single worst enemies in the game, the magikoopas. They feel like RNG even though you can affect where they appear to some extent, there is a very small time window for you to react, their projectiles are fast with a huge and questionable hitbox, and they are invincible most of the time. They are also required to complete the level unless you have the cape, and the castle gives you no items up to that point. Magikoopas can also occasionally appear within 1-2 blocks in front of you, so good luck dodging the projectile if anything else is happening!

The result of all this is that I sit there bored out of my mind for the first 2-3 minutes, then I instantly lose the level because I had a magikoopa spawn within 2 blocks of me, because I slightly mistimed a jump, because the projectile clipped a corner of Mario, because the projectile clipped the wrong block, because of an unfavorable pencil timing with a projectile, and/or because a normal koopa dropped at a bad spot. As tiny Mario, I then get to repeat the whole thing for something like 20 minutes now.

Blizzard

Banned
Done just in time for the 15th. I did Cyan's requirement of switches last, used no save states/rewinds, and beat both Bowser's castle entrances.

#morton
#luigi

They should have made it so that going back through the final star road star reset the game sprites to normal.

Top Bottom