• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

External sound card on consoles...is it worth it?

adamy

Banned
Best Buy.com currently has the Creative Sound BlasterX G5 External Sound Card on clearance for $74.99

LS_BlasterX_G5_Angle-e1438797396234.jpg

Thinking of picking up but curious how well it would work with a PS4 and headphones (HyperX Cloud Revolver), anyone have any feedback? Thanks in advance!

Kindekuma

Banned
I didn't know people even used external sound cards on consoles.

I wouldn't really bother using this to be honest. Seems like snake oil on sale for $75. If by with headphones on the PS4, you mean with headphones coming out of the DS4? Definitely don't bother.

RowdyReverb

I used a Turtle Beach DSS for a while if that counts. It provides simulated surround sound. It can sometimes be helpful in online FPS games, but if you're looking for immersion, it really doesn't add much

Iorv3th

Doesn't Astro bundle an external sound card with their higher end headphones marketed for consoles?

It's not really a soundcard. It's more for being able to power the headphones as well as mix game audio and chat audio and tune them to your liking (have chat louder or quieter). You can boost certain sounds with it (has like 3 modes) but it's really just an adjustable equalizer for that.

There is also no other way to use headphones with direct audio from a console without one of these type of devices.

You can use the ds4 but it is going to sound like shit.

Justinh

No, don't get that sound blaster for consoles.

I have it, and it works great on my PC. It does not have a Dolby decoder (or whatever it's called) so you won't get the 7.1 simulated surround (just to clarify, you will get simulated surround on PC, just not on consoles).

I got an Astro mixamp more recently to use with my Xbox One. Sounds much batter for console use (I think you can use any mixamp for any console, but the PS3/4 one will only do chat for those and the Xbox One will only do voice chat for that).

If you get the Astro PS4 version, you plug it into your console, the headphones into the mixamp and you can still use it for chat. (edit: you may have to dick around with some settings and make sure you like... assign it to your profile first)

LQX

I think they are. I prefer to use headphones for gaming and even movies over my TV speakers and using the controllers is even worse so picking one up years ago was a no-brainer. I have the DSS2 which is decent but was actually looking to get that same one. Seems decent.

Hypron

Need to check for compatibility first. My ODAC doesn't work properly on ps4, the audio channels are reversed. I bought it to use on my PC so it's all right but still, it's a bit disappointing.

I used a Turtle Beach DSS for a while if that counts. It provides simulated surround sound. It can sometimes be helpful in online FPS games, but if you're looking for immersion, it really doesn't add much

I still use an original model of Turtle Beach Dolby Surround Sound Processor (the 7.1 channel model). When you enable the Surround Sound setting in the Xbox One's audio setting for Digital Optical Audio, it makes a massive difference. I remember when the feature first rolled out on Xbox One, I was going through Thief. I remember thinking "Holy shit! This sounds way better!"

Justinh

Screw it decided to pick it up

I figure worse case I can return it if I end up not liking it

Eh, actually I think it'll work out fine for you. It'll definitely sound better and louder than if you were to like... plug in your headphones to you tv and you can set up profiles after you hook it up to your pc and install the software.

Also, I just hooked it up to my PS4 using a usb and optical cable (it comes with what you need) and put on Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition and it sounded like there was actually some separation when I was spinning around near a table fan in Wei Shen's apartment. The product page, keep in mind, says "the G5 delivers a best-in-class stereo experience for gaming consoles," though. At least the microphone will work too.

Mupod

Can't speak for that thing but I use a DAC/amp for my consoles (and PC). Mine has optical in and works great for the PS3. The USB input takes the place of my PC's sound card.

KingV

I have this and would not recommend it for consoles. I haven't tried it on my PS4 but was underwhelmed on Xbox one. It does sound good on PC though.

For consoles I also have an Astro mix amp, which I really like. It also allows you to,dynamically adjust the mix between chat and game sound, which is a major key for PS4, especially.

Justinh

I have this and would not recommend it for consoles. I haven't tried it on my PS4 but was underwhelmed on Xbox one. It does sound good on PC though.

For consoles I also have an Astro mix amp, which I really like. It also allows you to,dynamically adjust the mix between chat and game sound, which is a major key for PS4, especially.

Yeah, I wasn't even able to get my Xbox one to "see it" with an optical connection and I wasn't getting any audio with it at all that way. I had to jerry rig it to my television's headphone jack, so maybe that's why it sounded so poor. I did sound better on the PS4 and the mic even worked, but yeah I agree an Astro TR mixamp would be a better option for consoles (I didn't even think about the voice/game audio mixer). There are used listings in that link I posted go as low as 45ish dollars, but you'd have to get a USB cord and TosLink cable if you didn't have one sitting around.

Ultima_5

i've been looking at getting something like this for my pc (some sorta dac/amp). any recommendations on one that isn't gamer looking?

Top Bottom