• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Maz

I just downloaded APK from outside Google play, noob question here but how do you keep the app updated if installed outside play store?

I'm impressed with how the PokeStop system works. This bird statue in my area is listed, no idea how they pull that info into their game.

u9MWlTN.png

Niantic started their foray into AR games with Ingress. I used to describe it as geo-caching meets capture the flag. Played that game for years. Users could submit new "portals" that were usually interesting landmarks, such as local art installations. I would not be the least bit surprised if many (if not most) of the old Ingress portals are now PokeStops.

Kebiinu

Banned
How is this game on battery life? I have the Note 4 and I'm worried it might sap all the juice alongside twitter and gaf!

OmegaFax

How is this game on battery life? I have the Note 4 and I'm worried it might sap all the juice alongside twitter and gaf!

No accurate measurement but I went from 87% -> 80% playing around with it for about 10 minutes on a Nexus 5X. There is a battery saver mode you can toggle in the settings.

Inviusx

Found a Pidgey on my floor. Don't know where it's been hiding this whole time. Anyway this is what the AR looks like.

BfkqfyQ.jpg

Azuran

Banned
I have no idea what I just watched, but yeah. That's incredibly disappointing?

I'll wait until I've spent a few days with it, but I'm not super clear on why they could just copy/paste the existing battle system.

Because the actual Pokemon battle system is extremely intricate so there was little to no chance they were translating that to a mobile game of all places.

You weren't expecting to be using Trick Room teams in this game were you?

OmegaFax

Anyone try this with mock locations on Android yet? I'd imagine the app might detect it and try to stop you but it might help.

akileese

There are settings , click on the pokeball

AR mode works fine for me, Pokemon show up fine, Galaxy S4 here

But I captured some Pokemon now what?

You now catch them all. literally.

AR mode works fine but I found it to be a bit of a battery drain and performance hog.

My kid and I walked around for about 45 minutes or so catching Pokemon. She could see and catch everything that popped up on my phone and vice versa. Pidgeys and Rattatas EVERYWHERE. Like, if I look at my "around me" right now, there's 8 pidgeys and a doduo, which I've already got. The big shocker for me was catching a scyther and a venonat which was neat. Aside from that, standard fair. There's another bird pokemon (looks like a fearow?), pikachu, and pinsir in my neighborhood but I couldn't find them.

The downside is that I live in Texas where I pretty much run the risk of dying for being out walking for hours at a time. During the winter I'll probably take 3 and 4 hour walks and drive to different places to try and catch more exotic pokemon.

Gameplay definitely doesn't feel deep, but I enjoy it and it got me to go out and walk around after a long work day so mission accomplished there.

Battery life improves if you turn AR off. On my S7 Edge I went from 88 to 70 in about an hour. My daughter's Nexus 5 did not do so well though so the older your phone the worse it may hog battery life.

Because the actual Pokemon battle system is extremely intricate so there was little to no chance they were translating that to a mobile game of all places.

You weren't expecting to be using Trick Room teams in this game were you?

I mean, it wouldn't be that hard. Literally just copy/paste.

The reason they likely did it is so phone gamers don't have a hard time learning battle mechanics.

Mascott

Neo Member

The reason they likely did it is so phone gamers don't have a hard time learning battle mechanics.

I really doubt that's why, considering a massive section of the target audience for this is people who have played the handheld games - That is to say, people who have already spent some amount of time learning those mechanics.

Inviusx

1oXGGIK.jpg

So this is the in game map. It's obviously based on your location. It really wants you to go outside and walk around. The blue cubes in the distance are PokeStops, they are about a 10 minute walk from where I'm sitting right now. The silver thing is a gym which you need to be level 5 for. If you're just sitting at home you probably wont be able to do much.

I'm using the scent item on my character right now but you only start with 2 and they only last 30mins. The scent items are of course purchasable with real world money. They cost 80 PokeCoins which translates to roughly $1.20 AUD. You can buy 20 PokeBalls for $1.50AUD or 100 PokeCoins.

mankoto

All of my Pokestops are Churches, Angel statues, and a few graves. I certainly didn't expect this considering my city is known for it's hardware.

Maz

Just redownload it on the play store, all your stuff will be there

Thank you, do I delete it first before downloading from store?

Do you actually battle the random pokemon that pop? It seems like I'm just throwing poke balls at them

Cbajd5

Thank you, do I delete it first before downloading from store?

Do you actually battle the random pokemon that pop? It seems like I'm just throwing poke balls at them
You just throw Pokeballs at them. Only battles are at gyms, and those aren't direct PvP. Just battling computer controlled Pokémon that are left there to either defeat the Gym or train.

akileese

Incompatible with Nexus 5X

LOL

It's not actually released in NA. Most of us have sideloaded the APK. It's available to the Oceanic region and to previous beta testers in NA.

It also DOES NOT work on the Andorid N developer preview.

Don't wanna backseat mod but any way someone can change the title to reflect the actual release status? -

ugoo18

Do you get a notification when a pokemon is nearby?

Or do i have to keep the app open basically permanently.

Illucio

Banned
There is dragonite near me. How can I know the direction?
I found a Pinser near me and I have the same problem.

This game is having me walk into the middle of the road or in front of my neighbors house for a Pokémon.

I feel like a creep. But I already caught a Ratata, Psyduck, and Kakuna.

RyanW

Do you get a notification when a pokemon is nearby?

Or do i have to keep the app open basically permanently.

I'd imagine you get a notifications. That's what the little pokeball watch is for so I imagine you can set that up without it.

Azuran

Banned

Well of course. Thought it would be absolutely hilarious to destroy clueless mobile gamers with a Gale Wings Talonflame.

Oh that's right, only crappy Kanto Pokemon in this game lmao

Everyone is complaining about the game not being on the store. Here I am sitting down, wondering why I brought a windows phone,lol.

Top Bottom