• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

I have a Japanese iOS account for PuyoQuest, I'll probably download it from there if it isn't up in NA when I wake up tomorrow.

Shauni

I doubt I can play this, but it's such a cool as fuck idea. I just hope one doesn't have to travel to Iraq or something to get Mewtwo.

nikos

Sorry for my earlier post. Toucharcade, as well as other outlets, updated their posts indicating that the iOS version has been released in the US, yet I still can't find a link.

Not sure why they would all post such an update without a link.

EDIT: Now they add "on android."

My guess is it'll be up tomorrow in the US.

Found a Pidgey on my floor. Don't know where it's been hiding this whole time. Anyway this is what the AR looks like.

BfkqfyQ.jpg

I laughed way more than I should after reading this post. Underrated, good one.

jwk94

So how does this work exactly? I don't get signal in my town. Is that ok? Could I still walk around town and catch Pokemon?

Arrrammis

so far it looks cool, I wish you could zoom out a bit more or look through pokestops near you (if i zoom out as far as possible I can only see one), but I guess I'll check that out. So far I got my starter (Charmander for life!) and caught a CP 10 Rattata, CP12 venonat, and a CP 27 Krabby!

Minions

Awesome! Two Evees at/around my house. 1 more and I can get all 3 evolutions.

Can you catch Pokémon outside the regions the app has released in?

apps not officially out in the USA and I'm catching pokemon and there are gyms/pokestops around my house.

Teknoman

More AR screenshots please? Also any comments on the music? Is there wild catch mode music or just gym battle music?

Wii Tank

So to my knowledge, this app doesn't work without an internet/data connection. For some of us Canadians who refuse to pay the ridiculous rates for data plans here, this is going to really hurt my use of the app

Azuran

Banned
So to my knowledge, this app doesn't work without an internet/data connection. For some of us Canadians who refuse to pay the ridiculous rates for data plans here, this is going to really hurt my use of the app

Yeah this is dead on arrival for me because of that. I'm not annihilating my monthly phone bill for this thing.

Trace

Banned

What else would it run off of exactly?

Kurdel

Banned

Twist: the pokemon will all hang out at Tim Hortons

Red

Yeah, can't you just catch Pokemon available near locations wifi? You wouldn't have to use data if you didn't want to.

Wii Tank

What else would it run off of exactly?

For a GPS based app, you'd think they could do some things without an internet or data plan. I mean I can see why it is the way it is, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating for people like me

Falchion

Just caught a Bulbasaur, I had already clicked on it when I realized there was a Charmander and Squirtle right there too :(

Kyzer

Banned
Thought to myself, im obsessed, standing here just waiting form pokemon to pop up on me. Then I caught Squirtle. Goodbye real world.

how big is the game filesize wise? my 16 gb iphone is always strapped for space lol, friggin hearthstone is the biggest culprit

Illucio

Banned
I have T-mobile and basically you have the regular gb rate for phones. But t mobile gives you a free unlimited super slow connection after that and the game seems to run fine with just that.
(i burned up all my data lol)

If you have xfinity for internet you can find WiFi Hotspot everywhere that you can log in with your account and password to save data that way as well.

Matt

For a GPS based app, you'd think they could do some things without an internet or data plan. I mean I can see why it is the way it is, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating for people like me
...how? I really can't see how this game would work without a data connection.

Justified

I'm guessing most in here never play Ingress (fun community AR game)?

This isn't a Pokemon game, its Pokemon skinned Ingress.

That should be added to the OP

Went riding around with my friends and caught a lot of Pokemon. Ended up reaching level 5 at which point I could assign a Pokemon to a gym and join one of the three Teams. Thankful I live next to a bunch of churches, because they were almost all Pokestops.

Top Bottom