• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Went riding around with my friends and caught a lot of Pokemon. Ended up reaching level 5 at which point I could assign a Pokemon to a gym and join one of the three Teams. Thankful I live next to a bunch of churches, because they were almost all Pokestops.

are they so spread out that driving is the only efficient way to catch stuff or will i like run into a lot of stuff on daily (3-5 mile) hikes?

i hear filesize is fairly small, 300 mb or less? can anyone confirm or was the beta just smaller?

are they so spread out that driving is the only efficient way to catch stuff or will i like run into a lot of stuff on daily (3-5 mile) hikes?

i hear filesize is fairly small, 300 mb or less? can anyone confirm or was the beta just smaller?

Honestly I felt like things were pretty spread out in my neighborhood. My friend's neighborhood is more densely populated, and seemed to have a lot more Pokemon.
That being said, 3-5 miles should be plenty to run into a decent number of 'mons based on my experience.

Pokemon Go is 127 mb on my phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I used one and caught some Pokemon, which was neat I guess. But uh, they're limited items, it costs currency I don't even know how to acquire and it doesn't really fix that there's literally nothing appearing on my map nearby.

Poke Pitstops give out items so you don't have to pay for everything.

Red

I'm guessing most in here never play Ingress (fun community AR game)?

This isn't a Pokemon game, its Pokemon skinned Ingress.

That should be added to the OP
Ingress didn't have unique objects to collect, did it? Just the orbs or whatever the currency was. So this one is a little different, although they're both turf war games.

Cherubae

So you need to put your phone out while playing this outside? That's like a mug me sign here.

Yes, but that's what the Pokemon Go Plus bluetooth adapter is for. You use that instead of taking your phone out all the time. It isn't out yet though.

The app is available in the US if you already have the app installed from the beta/field test. Beta testers can just update their existing app and join back in from the character creation screen.

You can buy 14,500 Pokecoin in-game currency for $99.99. 100 Pokecoins is $0.99

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really would've preferred a 2D style. It would look honestly much better and conserve battery life.

I like the 3d style, but I can see why it's a turn off for many.

I assume this is easier to do than sprite work.

I'll admit I think a lot of it is just getting higher res models and not looking at the shitty 3d screen/res.

Red

Is this even fun? Like is anybody whose a regular Pokemon fan having fun with this app/game?
Ingress has its passionate fans, and this is similar, with the added incentive to collect Pokemon. It's a game about exploring the world, which encourages social interaction... Hard to think of a better way to marry Pokemon and smartphone technology. The battle system might not be as involved as traditional Pokemon games, but that's not really the point after all. I look forward to seeing it evolve.

Is this even fun? Like is anybody whose a regular Pokemon fan having fun with this app/game?

It's fun in a novel gimmick type of way. Traveling around and catching Pokemon with my friend was pretty great. Haven't had that type of experience in Pokemon before.
That being said, I'm not convinced in its longevity just yet. More of a nice distraction while walking/traveling.

After some initial troubles, I was able to get the game and I walked around town for about an hour playing it. Caught a handful of Pokemon (some have since been "transferred") and I got to Level 4 as well.

CmpvtxOWIAAlyCE.jpg

Dragoshi1

Got my Charmander, and caught a Pidgey, that's as far as I can get at Midnight here.

I'll wake up and continue the journey in the AM.

Corginand

It's 9pm here and raining, no way I'm going out today. I used an incense but no pokes come near me :( and the game says there's growlithe(s) nearby, he's one of my favorite Kanto pokemon...

I have some stuff to do tomorrow so I'll take advantage and see what I can find.

packy34

Seems like it will be limited to "select markets" on iOS in the US for an unknown period of time. Guessing that means NY, LA, etc... the usual suspects. Congrats to android owners who don't have to wait at all.

So if this doesn't get abandoned after 12 months, it's going to be amazing in a few years. Life changing, really.

It's just kind of neat right now though.

Tidalwave

It's 9pm here and raining, no way I'm going out today. I used an incense but no pokes come near me :( and the game says there's growlithe(s) nearby, he's one of my favorite Kanto pokemon...

I have some stuff to do tomorrow so I'll take advantage and see what I can find.

Out of curiosity, what area do you live in? Wondering why you have Growlithes.

At night I had zubats, nidoran male and female, pidgys, bellsprouts, hypnos and eevees. That's for Massachusetts.

Corginand

Out of curiosity, what area do you live in? Wondering why you have Growlithes.

At night I had zubats, nidoran male and female, pidgys, bellsprouts, hypnos and eevees. That's for Massachusetts.

Northern Mexico. There's also zubats, golbats, digletts and meowths.

fisheyes

I'm super confused by this thing.

I started with a Squirtle, and an Ekans appeared my lounge room straight after, so I caught that. I live near a park, and saw there were a bunch of Pokestops there, pretty much on every sign / monument / bridge, which was quite neat, so I walked over there and wandered around. After a bit I worked out how to activate the Pokestops, so I now I have about 20 more Pokeballs, and 4 eggs - one of which I put in an incubator but I havent walked enough to hatch it. And.... thats it. Where are the wild Pokemon? I saw little patches of what I assume is rustling grass, but when I walk over there (if I can even make it in time) nothing seems to happen.

jwk94

So does this app have notifications of any sort? I mean, it sounds pretty useless if you have to have it open to interact with it in any way outside of that wrist watch thing.

hmmm... will check it out once it comes out in the US itunes store, i don't care enough to jump through hoops and get the AU version.

The one thing that comforts me about infantile people like you is the fact that you'll either come to terms with mobile gaming or eventually lose your hobby forever.

not really, even if lets say that hypothetically tomorrow everyone drops out of the console/pc development and everyone goes full gear on mobile for the rest of our lifetime, there are plenty of games that are out spread across multiple consoles many of which can be emulated on a pc to last us until we eventually croak.

just saying.

Top Bottom