• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Svafnir

My GPS must suck... walking around I barely move. Only seems to update when I re open app. Can never ever catch the weird grass effect pokemon, instead I just find random pokemon when opening app after walking.

Ricitor

Okay, so I installed the APK and got my Bulbasaur. First Pokemon after that was a Zubat. Want to stretch this thing out this weekend so will go mess around with it.
Fun fact, one of the PokeStops I can see on my GPS is the L. Ron Hubbard Museum. I don't know why Nintendo chose this but I thought it was pretty funny.

Cess007

I keep getting this error message "failed to detect location" and it seems i can't find any pokemon due that

GPS and location services are activated tho :(

Fusebox

Banned
Okay, so I installed the APK and got my Bulbasaur. First Pokemon after that was a Zubat. Want to stretch this thing out this weekend so will go mess around with it.
Fun fact, one of the PokeStops I can see on my GPS is the L. Ron Hubbard Museum. I don't know why Nintendo chose this but I thought it was pretty funny.

One of my local stops is the Gentlemens Club plaque. Basically a plaque outside some titty club nearby.

ramyeon

I don't think Nintendo chose these - it'd come from a database of local landmarks or something.

ramyeon

MsBh9Lr.jpg
What am I in Mt Moon or something?

zulux21

does this game use/need much data?

my only data plan is my wife's and that tops out at 30mb :p (though technically I think we have uliimited 2g on the phone, which might be enough but still)

either way will give it a go thursday by going for a walk or something.

Yaska

Works in Finland by sideloading. Caught bunch of pokemons, there was Abra right outside the office too!

Fusebox

Banned
So far I caught a squirtle and eggsecute on the first throw, must have tossed 30 balls at a z-bat and didn't hit him once!

Svafnir

Wish I lived in a big city... almost no pokestops near my house. Yet everyone gets a ton of free pokeballs etc!

Seems unfair?

kubus

What the hell my username was already taken. Did not expect that so early :/ who was it?!

Also I feel like a fool because I just registered using my alt acc name and now I realize I'm using a dummy aus account... So that's another username wasted for when I get it from my own country's app store

Fml :(

I already know I'm going to love this. The train station from where I always commute to work is a gym and there are like 3 Pokestops around the station as well :D

ramyeon

The Pokestops seem to refresh pretty quick. There's a statue outside my office's building listed and whenever I check the app it's refreshed and I can get free stuff from it again. Got tonnes of eggs now.

Well, I was messing around with the character options to see what they are and it looks like my character is female, and I used my main username so no point wiping. I've clearly got the hang of this.

But in better news, my apartment building is a Pokestop and from bed I've already got some items and caught a Pidgey. Sod that outside lark!

Atomski

Phones with Intel processors aren't supported at the moment, as far as I know.
Ah okay.. weird.

I'm really curious what will be around here. I am in the mountains of Thailand and there isn't many ingress portals here.. if they are somehow connected.

Caught an Abra and Exxecute in my living room, a Pidgey in my bathroom, and three other Pidgeys out in the yard after using an Incense thing.

By the way, if anyone's curious, you can use Google Play credit to buy the coins.

Combo the Rewards app with this, oh shit.

Qwark

My GPS must suck... walking around I barely move. Only seems to update when I re open app. Can never ever catch the weird grass effect pokemon, instead I just find random pokemon when opening app after walking.

Wait, can you catch the weird grass effect pokemon? I've tried a bunch and it just makes a noise at me. I thought that meant there was something in that direction and you should walk over there.

Went for a midnight stroll, got a bunch of Pidgeys, Weedles, a Venonat, and a Shellder (in the local pool, not sure if coincidence but lol), came back home to find an Eevee in my living room.

vid

I don't think Nintendo chose these - it'd come from a database of local landmarks or something.

All of the Pokestop and Gym locations are tied to Portal locations from Ingress, most of which were submitted by players. As a result, the quality of submitted locations can greatly vary.

It's interesting to me that while every Pokemon Go landmark is an Ingress portal, not every Ingress portal is a Pokemon Go landmark. I wonder if they ran some algorithm to cut down on areas where there were a lot of landmarks clustered closely together?

Lucifon

Does the game need to be open to do anything? Seems like a massive battery killer. Also are there any social options for friends?

ramyeon

Got a Growlithe up the road from my house on the bus home from work! Game redeemed. Also got an Eevee a minute after that.

In the UK and have it installed now on an iPad 3 and Nexus 4, both have got me to the character select screen ok, so I'm assuming I'm good *fingers crossed*

Maz

If there was a battle system like the main games... this game would be amazing.

I've been told you can battle other people's pokemon at gyms when you reach lvl5. Sadly it's not actual pvp but against ai. I'm still lvl4 so can't confirm anything

Edit: I seem to get no notification, or indication of pokemon if the app is in the background which is really annoying.

AlanOC91

Is there a friends list/social features in this game? Seems VERY solo oriented at the moment from the menus I've been checking.

Wanderer5

Bleh still going to feel a bit limited on my tablet cause I don't have wifi everywhere through I was able to get 5 Pokemon around my house tonight lol (not counting the starter).

Svafnir

I've been told you can battle other people's pokemon at gyms when you reach lvl5. Sadly it's not actual pvp but against ai. I'm still lvl4 so can't confirm anything

Edit: I seem to get no notification, or indication of pokemon if the app is in the background which is really annoying.

It's not a real pokemon battle. You just tap screen and swipe, don't really pick or take turns or any of that.

Tidalwave

So, in case anyone hasn't figured it out cause the game has zero instruction... click the tab in the bottom right to see what's around you. The less footprints it has, the closer it is. If you want a specific thing you can tap it to always show in the corner.

Ricitor

Okay, so running around my house I got a Cubone and a Nidoran (F). There is a Clefairy nearby but for the hell of me I cannot find it (think it is in my Neighbors yard).

So what do the Pokestops actually do? I see a few around me but is it worth checking out?

Robin64

Downloaded from the Aus store. My area has Ratatta and Caterpie. Yay. There's also a little old building right near me with a plaque on, no idea what it is, but apparently that's been picked up as a Pokéstop.

Lucifon

Initial impressions are pretty low. Seems like all you do is walk around then swipe on the screen to catch a pokemon. Doesn't really feel like there's much to it. It also doesn't seem to do anything when the app is in the background, so you just have to have it open constantly.

Putosaure

Okay, so running around my house I got a Cubone and a Nidoran (F). There is a Clefairy nearby but for the hell of me I cannot find it (think it is in my Neighbors yard).

So what do the Pokestops actually do? I see a few around me but is it worth checking out?

When you're around, click on them and spin the picture badge to get some pokéballs and random objects.

Top Bottom