• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Robin64

Initial impressions are pretty low. Seems like all you do is walk around then swipe on the screen to catch a pokemon. Doesn't really feel like there's much to it. It also doesn't seem to do anything when the app is in the background, so you just have to have it open constantly.

That seems to against the idea of the Pokémon GO Pro thing, doesn't it? Seems weird.

Initial impressions are pretty low. Seems like all you do is walk around then swipe on the screen to catch a pokemon. Doesn't really feel like there's much to it. It also doesn't seem to do anything when the app is in the background, so you just have to have it open constantly.

Yeah, right now this is kinda ruined by the exact same problem Miitomo had, where the moment you do anything else on your phone it basically quits out completely, followed by excruciating loading times to get back in again.

I walked to a nearby junction and defeated a Gym Leader with a 294 CP Golbat, then took over the Gym. I also claimed another Gym a few streets down from the junction. How do Gyms work? What do I need to do in order to maintain control over them? I noticed there is a rep/level score, am I correct in my assumption that winning matches increases it?

I don't like that the app needs to be open at all times to benefit, it drained 48% percent of my battery.

AlanOC91

Joining a team allows you to assign one of your captured Pokemon to an empty Gym or to a location where a team member has placed one of his or her Pokemon. Since only one Pokemon can be placed at a location, you will need to use team work to build a strong Gym.

If a Gym is already under the control of another team, you can challenge the Gym using the Pokemon in your team. Defeat the defending Pokemon to takeover the Gym for your team.

Wow that actually sounds awesome! From IGN guide.

Just started, I am sick so haven't left my room, but still caught an Eevee and a Bellsprout. I messed up on the start, I didn't want Bulbasaur as my starter but looks like that's what I got.

Don't see anything else around me so won't even bother walking around yet. It's probably built for city use.

Raxious

Welp, got to a squirtle, threw a pokeball at it and then nothing happend. I saw Squirtle going in the ball and then it just kept staying like that. Music kept playing.

After turning off the entire app and logging in again I was greeted by an infinite loading screen -_-

Sakujou

Banned
Welp, got to a squirtle, threw a pokeball at it and then nothing happend. I saw Squirtle going in the ball and then it just kept staying like that. Music kept playing.

After turning off the entire app and logging in again I was greeted by an infinite loading screen -_-
i sort of cant log in too sometimes. at home wifi does not work. i cant use my pokemon center id, only the google login.
other than that this app eats up my battery in an instant :/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHg5GdfAEee/

even available in german!

moozoom

Not available in france apparently.
Well, it's not like I go out of my appartment that much anyway... probably wouldn't have caught many pokémons in my living room.

Fusebox

Banned
What's the green circle that grows and shrinks when trying to catch a pokemon? I threw at least 20 balls at a ziggurat and couldn't catch him.

I want to try this really bad but am super paranoid about installing apks.

Come on Niantic, don't leave me hanging for much longer.

Icebolts

Neo Member
Not available in france apparently.
Well, it's not like I go out of my appartment that much anyway... probably wouldn't have caught many pokémons in my living room.

Same than above, use the .apk directly. I live in Paris so it seems to be quite furnished in Pokemons, went to a nearby suburb, no pokemons in sight (despite landmarks and a gym closeby)

Robin64

Despite this being my nearby Pokéstop, there were no fossil Pokémon to be seen.

1VkYdre.jpg

wanders

Worked flawlessly on my USA iPhone by making an Australian account, downloading the app to iTunes and syncing the app to my phone.

Sakujou

Banned
I want to try this really bad but am super paranoid about installing apks.

Come on Niantic, don't leave me hanging for much longer.

if you are paranoid, you should switch to ios.
they have infested ipa-games too.

you can download the APK on their official website.

Lucifon

I don't get it.

Do I need to be looking at my phone all the time I'm wandering around?

I think so...it vibrates to let you know when you're close to something but you still need to have the app open. Unless of course you buy the overpriced peripheral.

Chopper

I think so...it vibrates to let you know when you're close to something but you still need to have the app open. Unless of course you buy the overpriced peripheral.
App open? And screen on, or does it work in standby? My phone's battery will not like this...

Robin64

App open? And screen on, or does it work in standby? My phone's battery will not like this...

Doesn't seem to do anything in standby, not that I could tell. I thought it would, I can't assume the Pro requires the app to always be open too. Seems weird.

Up and running on my Nexus 6p,used the APK.Its seems....ok,i will give it time obviously but I can see myself uninstalling this in the not to distant future

Ninja Dom

Interesting.

On the iTunes page for Pokemon Go the developer/publisher is NOT Nintendo.

The developer/publisher is Niantic.

Top Bottom