• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Card Boy

Banned
Dumb as fuck you cant battle local players or trade with them. Huge missed opportunity.

edit: if you can trade and battle i have not seen it yet, nor is it mentioned on the website.

Dumb as fuck you cant battle local players or trade with them. Huge missed opportunity.

edit: if you can trade and battle i have not seen it yet, nor is it mentioned on the website.
Perhaps you do all that in a later update? Hopefully.

Mik2121

Perhaps you do all that in a later update? Hopefully.
I would assume if this game becomes popular, there might be some battle mode to gain a different kind of currency or something like that.

If they keep updating this app for years, it could become quite something.
I haven't tried it yet (come on release it in Japan already!) but if it's something like Ingress, I'll probably jump in :)

akileese

Hey guys, just downloaded the APK for my S7, but accidentally disabled camera, anyone find the setting to turn it back on? It said I could but I can see anything in the settings.

Also first catch Squirtle, get in :D

When you try to catch a pokemon, you should see a switch in the top right that says 'AR". I think that's what you need. If you're talking about denying it access when you first start up the app, that SHOULD fix it by just reprompting you for the camera access.

End of Day 1

Level 5
Pokedex: Caught/Seen: 19
Ry9JHau.png

Stupid ass game didnt explain Gym battles, so lost half my pokemon before I worked out how it worked (shitty 3d version of punch out)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
tried that. i think the game detected I'm playing in a country wherein its not officially out yet cause a lot of people have been getting the same issue.

Did you walk around with it? I found even if I wasn't going anywhere I got more shit to happen if the app thought I was walking ie just around my room or else clicking through menus.

Polarburr

Hmm, last night I had a bunch of stuff marked on my map, but now it's morning and they are all gone. What happened?

are you just seeing a rotating grey pokeball in the top left corner too?

Did you walk around with it? I found even if I wasn't going anywhere I got more shit to happen if the app thought I was walking ie just around my room or else clicking through menus.

yup. i walked around my house and my village. people have been going through the same thing in reddit too.

note that i downloaded Go via apkmirror.

Downloaded and installed the APK on Sony Xperia Z2 and works really good. Already level 5 with a few Pokemons, is really addictive (Like Ingress) and the good part is that use the monuments and places database of Ingress. I was worried for the map here in my country (Dominican Republic) but is full of Gyms. Pokémon Go is really good.

Seems like harmless fun so far, need to get to level 5 (3 atm) and try the gym to get a better picture.

Fun to catch 2 pokemon while sitting on the toilet at work though ;)

I know a little while back someone ripped all the models from the beta...or something like that.

Did anyone ever discover if there was a possibility to find shiny pokemon? I mean, certainly it wouldn't have been hard to put them in if they had access to all of the models from the games right?

Dragonkuni

Neo Member
When you try to catch a pokemon, you should see a switch in the top right that says 'AR". I think that's what you need. If you're talking about denying it access when you first start up the app, that SHOULD fix it by just reprompting you for the camera access.

Brilliant, cheers for that. Commence screenshotting like a mofo :p

Dragoshi1

Just caught a few Pidgeys at work, it's a good idea to catch duplicate Pokemon for the xp right?

And for the candy; you can transfer weaker duplicates to the Prof to get 1 candy, and you need a certain amount to evolve that Pokemon.

Pidgey 1 has 100CP.

Pidgeys 2-8 have less than 12 CP.

Send those Pidgeys to prof, and you have 6 candies, in addition to the candies you get from catching the buggers.

Now, you can evolve your 100CP Pidgey to a Pidgeotto, and it gets a boost to its total CP!

Falchion

And for the candy; you can transfer weaker duplicates to the Prof to get 1 candy, and you need a certain amount to evolve that Pokemon.

Pidgey 1 has 100CP.

Pidgeys 2-8 have less than 12 CP.

Send those Pidgeys to prof, and you have 6 candies, in addition to the candies you get from catching the buggers.

Now, you can evolve your 100CP Pidgey to a Pidgeotto, and it gets a boost to its total CP!

Excellent! Going to the boardwalk tonight to catch as many Pokemon as I possibly can.

Gaspard

Last night I took a stroll with two friends and we had so much fun catching weedles together.

Game doesn't have much to it right now, but it's still a cute little romp.

WarAdept

Day 1 haul.

qGHiEIp.png

YFspAJw.png

And some Razz berries to add to that item list. One thing to note is that you get swarmed with Pokeballs /potions. I had over 300 Pokeballs at one point and basically had to keep chucking them out to make room in my bag, the same with potions.

Did a little experiment with a CP 24 Caterpillar and a CP 30 Caterpie. Powered up the lesser one and it's CP rose by 5,making it 29, but it had one more HP over the CP one. Makes me wonder if it's best to power up before evolving. Not entirely sure. I've been scouring the internet for more info about how to min/max your Pokes but no one who played the beta can seem to give a good answer for this.

Same with moves, not sure how either of them are activated (although obviously it's of high benefit to grab a Pokemon with dual coverage. Not sure if this game has STAB).

And now I sleep for another day. Thank you long work commutes!

theexxs

Neo Member
A friend of mine told me people are getting banned for playing In places Where it's not available yet, is that true?

Mik2121

One thing to note is that you get swarmed with Pokeballs /potions. I had over 300 Pokeballs at one point and basically had to keep chucking them out to make room in my bag, the same with potions.

That's great to know. I was worried Pokeballs would be somewhat rare and you'd be forced to pay for them eventually. I guess that still applies for better pokeballs (if they even exist in this game, anyway).

oti

Banned
Do I have to always look at the screen for this? Can I listen to a podcast/music while running this without issues?

Cherubae

I got an egg but can't view it anywhere will it just hatch after I've walked a certain number of steps?

Open your list of Pokemon and swipe right to get to your list of eggs. You can hold up to 9 eggs that you collect form Pokestops, and once you hit the 9-egg limit you won't find anymore when you activate a stop. To hatch an egg you need to place it in an incubator; you'll have one incubator with unlimited uses, and the remainder of them you'll have to buy from the Pokemon store using in-game currency.

Then you just walk to hatch the egg you're incubating. The longer the distance for it to hatch, the better the pokemon can be when it hatches: 2km, 5km, or 10km.

During beta, there wasn't a vibration alert when an egg hatched, which was kind of a pain. Since you have to keep the app open, you have to look at your phone on a regular basis to see if an egg hatched, as it seemed to take priority over Pokemon appearances. There was a few times that I would be walking around outside for long periods without being vibe-alerted to nearby Pokemon, when in fact my phone was sitting at the "hatching" screen waiting for user tap to continue.

Even when walking around outside, your phone's time-out lock screen may take priority over the app; in which case you won't get any vibration alerts at all once your phone goes into sleep mode. If that's the case with your phone, then you'll have to set a long time-out period for your lock screen.

The battery-saver mode in your in-game settings will dim the screen when you have it away from your face (e.g., you're walking around outside while holding your phone in your free hand). Your lock screen time out can still activate though (mine was doing so last night, bothersome) but it does help to conserve battery power.

A friend of mine told me people are getting banned for playing In places Where it's not available yet, is that true?

Well... Last night I could get in and "play". Now I just get in the world map and it keeps loading without displaying any Gyms or those spots where you could collect stuff. So yeah, maybe they banned me.

MiTYH

How's the account system with this? As in, can I use two devices with the same account? I've got a second work phone that I would love to waste battery on most of the time

Played yesterday and got 4 pokemons....

Now.... I can't find nothing. Even the Church down the street is not appearing anymore. I was planing to pass there quickly to do the poke center tutorial.

Servers must be getting hammered... the pokeball on the corner left of the screen keeps turning every second now.

Top Bottom