• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

depends on what you count as significant? I lost about 10% in about ~20 minutes of use. I'm also able to charge my phone at work, so it didn't bother me personally.

I'd say that's pretty bad. If you're out and about trying to play this for a little while you might be shit out of luck battery wise.

I can see the videogame news sites reporting "some users are banned from pokemon go because ethey can't do anything" and making everything explode... even thou it's just a server issue because people who shouldn't be downloading are doing through apk files and not the google store...

unless i'm mistaken, no official announcement nor "you are banned" message has appeared, only people freaking out.

oh well...

Kinsei

Banned
How long do these things usually take to get out everywhere? It's a beautiful day outside so I'd really like to get the chance to go Pokemon hunting.

I can see the videogame news sites reporting "some users are banned from pokemon go because ethey can't do anything" and making everything explode... even thou it's just a server issue because people who shouldn't be downloading are doing through apk files and not the google store...

unless i'm mistaken, no official announcement nor "you are banned" message has appeared, only people freaking out.

oh well...
Well I signed up for the beta played ingress and all that shit and I didnt get accepted and wanted to play. :/

Samaritan

No one is being banned. It's just server issues. Though they might geo-lock at some point

Oh, ha, well then. Serves me right for leaving that reply window open for five minutes without reading the latest comments. That's good to hear, cause woof.

Lucario

I think they're trying to balance remote areas by giving them more wild Pokemon.

Didn't see a single Pokemon all of last night in my city apartment. Walked to the 4 Pokestops within a block of my place, still nothing. Incense got me 3.

My office in the middle of nowhere, though? Constant buzzes, easily 2 per hour, sometimes 3-4. I'm not even moving.

Already caught like 5 Venonat, a Seaking, and an Eevee. Maybe it's because I'm wedged between a lake and a forest?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Morning pickups and bonus

screenshot_2016-07-06kvkij.png

screenshot_2016-07-06vukoq.png

screenshot_2016-07-067xks2.png

screenshot_2016-07-06lrjrz.png

screenshot_2016-07-06y7jqn.png

Berordn

I wonder if the bans are related to jailbroken devices or custom roms? I downloaded the APK and installed this morning and no issue here, but I'm probably just tempting fate.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wonder if the bans are related to jailbroken devices or custom roms? I downloaded the APK and installed this morning and no issue here, but I'm probably just tempting fate.

There are no bans.

It's people who don't understand wtf is going on and freaking the fuck out.

Can't wait until this goes live on iOS, though I'm afraid it'll disappoint like Ingress did.

Also, I forgot that Android floods your top notification bar with icons, whenever you have notifications.

Ahasverus

How is the data consumption?

Man this game has so much potential, Nintendo needs to put their A resources on it. It could sustain the company, forever.

I noticed this tip on their support page

"Tip: Drag and rapidly spin the Poké Ball in a circular motion before you release it for a chance to receive a curveball bonus."

anyone had success with this?

Samaritan

So does this game just not have a single functioning background notification? Do I literally need to leave the game running and open to get any alerts for nearby Pokémon, or am I just missing something?

EDIT:

I noticed this tip on their support page

"Tip: Drag and rapidly spin the Poké Ball in a circular motion before you release it for a chance to receive a curveball bonus."

anyone had success with this?

It's pretty tricky to aim at first but I've gotten pretty good at it after about twenty or so encounters. No idea what it does though; maybe higher catch rates?

Samaritan

That's what the Pokémon Go Plus is for!

A $35 physical addon to add in basic, rudimentary smartphone functionality is pretty disgusting. The fact that I'm even contemplating buying that stupid thing is upsetting.

Has there been any indication that the app doesn't have to be open and running in your pocket for that to function?

Also wondering about this. It'd be deliciously ironic if that addon required the game to be active to work.

Kyne

one of the most anticipated apps and they stealth release it in specific places w/o any kind of announcements?

da fuq.

Ahnez

I think they're trying to balance remote areas by giving them more wild Pokemon.

Didn't see a single Pokemon all of last night in my city apartment. Walked to the 4 Pokestops within a block of my place, still nothing. Incense got me 3.

My office in the middle of nowhere, though? Constant buzzes, easily 2 per hour, sometimes 3-4. I'm not even moving.

Already caught like 5 Venonat, a Seaking, and an Eevee. Maybe it's because I'm wedged between a lake and a forest?
I wonder.. Are wild pokemon shared between users? I mean, the same ones appear on map, and if someone catches it, it disappears from others' games?

If yes, then it makes sense to remote areas to have more wild pokemon around

Berordn

one of the most anticipated apps and they stealth release it in specific places w/o any kind of announcements?

da fuq.

This is typical for smartphone games. They'll do soft launches in regions like NZ and AU so they can test the same localizations and perform stress tests.

Top Bottom