• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Worth noting the Watch Series 1 & 2 now comes with a shorter 1M charging cable.
OG watches came with a 2m cable.

Oh that freaking sucks. I have my cable plugged into my computer from nightstand which needs the full length to connect. I guess worse case you could purchase a USB extender but :(

pbsapeer

Banned
Just read this thread. Had no idea you could play music from the watch. Really glad I preordered one now. I asked in another thread, anyone know why the Nike watch is taking longer to release??

Also can anyone recommend some nice Bluetooth headphones for running that work well with the Apple Watch? I'd love to get those new air pods but I'm guessing they'll be falling out all over the place, seeing as the wired do that to me now.

Just read this thread. Had no idea you could play music from the watch. Really glad I preordered one now. I asked in another thread, anyone know why the Nike watch is taking longer to release??

Also can anyone recommend some nice Bluetooth headphones for running that work well with the Apple Watch? I'd love to get those new air pods but I'm guessing they'll be falling out all over the place, seeing as the wired do that to me now.

Jaybird X2. Lifetime sweat warranty and they last 5 hours on 1 charge. I've run 2 half marathons with them and they never fell out.

pbsapeer

Banned
Jaybird X2. Lifetime sweat warranty and they last 5 hours on 1 charge. I've run 2 half marathons with them and they never fell out.
Yeah man they look class. I used to have some wired adidas senheiser ones that were a similar style and thought they were great. These looks really good :)

Yeah man they look class. I used to have some wired adidas senheiser ones that were a similar style and thought they were great. These looks really good :)

Don't bother w/ the Motorolla series ones that go around head. I went through 2 pairs in 6 months. But Jaybirds have been best headphones so far. Anyone have a recommendation for swimming headphones (bone conduction)?

subrock

Please submit feedback about this. Everyone submit feedback about this. I can only do it so many times

Can you describe what you're looking for? You mean just like a track name and artist?

My one gripe about putting the music player in the dock is not that it's harder to quickly get to the audio controls which I tend to do often while driving. it's a little too touchy to get to the controls screen

Oh that freaking sucks. I have my cable plugged into my computer from nightstand which needs the full length to connect. I guess worse case you could purchase a USB extender but :(

Apparently they will be selling the 2m cable for $20 or so, but yeah. My nightstand is not 1m away from an electric plug. Weird decision.

I have a hard time believing these won't be heavily stocked at Apple stores, the demand isn't there. Can't wait to pick up a series 2 next week though, really love my apple watch

Can you describe what you're looking for? You mean just like a track name and artist?

My one gripe about putting the music player in the dock is not that it's harder to quickly get to the audio controls which I tend to do often while driving. it's a little too touchy to get to the controls screen

I'm not always playing stuff through the music app though. It could be overcast or pandora or anything. The music complication only gives info about what's coming through the music app specifically, a now playing complication is much more general

Shearie

Is the woven nylon band better or worse than the sport band?

I have both in black (although nylon black looks more grayish) and I like them equally. I also don't think the sport bands are only good for when you work out, I think they fit well with stylish clothes too.

Since I'm passing on the series 2, I was going to pick up a nylon band to make my Watch feel a bit fresh and hopefully more unassuming. But now that I'm reading reviews, it sounds like the nylon bands are cheaply made? Plastic lugs? I wouldn't have expected plastic parts for a $50 band.

Shearie

Since I'm passing on the series 2, I was going to pick up a nylon band to make my Watch feel a bit fresh and hopefully more unassuming. But now that I'm reading reviews, it sounds like the nylon bands are cheaply made? Plastic lugs? I wouldn't have expected plastic parts for a $50 band.

It does not feel cheaply made, it's just not made with premium materials.

You can always try them on at an Apple Store if that's an option for you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They are better made than any NATO style band I've ever seen. I mean there's some serious precision waving tech employed to make these things, and it's impressive to look at, and it feels more premium than any cloth/Nato style strap I've seen. The Lugs are steel covered with plastic, similar to how on a silicone band, you have steel inside covered with silicone. I'm positive about this, as I've checked with magnet.

my wife's birthday is at the end of the month, so I preordered her a 38mm rose gold series 1 with the pink band and the cocoa band. She said not to get her anything, which feels like a trap (of course its a trap), so this should work out.

They are better made than any NATO style band I've ever seen. I mean there's some serious precision waving tech employed to make these things, and it's impressive to look at, and it feels more premium than any cloth/Nato style strap I've seen. The Lugs are steel covered with plastic, similar to how on a silicone band, you have steel inside covered with silicone. I'm positive about this, as I've checked with magnet.

Hm ok thanks, that doesn't sound so bad. I like the look, it feels like you can wear it and dress up or down without it looking out of place.

japtor

Haven't messed with the Apple ones, but I got a two piece NATO and put my own lugs on, and can confirm the cheap NATO stuff is...cheap. Edges kinda poorly finished, the double layer wraps around the rings but ends abruptly and can be sharp and uncomfortable (I've trimmed it down a bit and worn it in), etc. They work and look fine, but they're meh quality. That said I do prefer the look of the oval NATO rings (and the lugs I got).

...I wouldn't have minded some of the Apple Olympic/flag ones though.

robotrock

Banned
They're selling the Hermes bands on their own now. Does that mean I'll be able to use the Hermes watch face on my non-Hermes Watch?

gatti-man

Is it wrong that I'm 10x more excited for this than iPhone 7? I actually use my MS band about 60 hours a week so the watch 2 is going to be a huge upgrade. I cook at my restaurant a lot and can't be pulling out my phone so the voice to text, voice to call and visual features are all a god send. Gym stuff is just an added plus. Really excited to get mine. Went with the orange band since IMO it's a toy not a real watch. I have a real watch for dates and dressing out.

I wonder how noticeable performance will be on the series 2, versus series 0 with watchOS 3?

Preordered but will be interested in seeing some comparisons on YouTube.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Last year was like that too. It's just a pipeline thing. Even though I ordered mine with a leather clasp right at midnight it took like 3-4 weeks longer than the first sport models to ship out.

jts

...hate me...
I wonder how noticeable performance will be on the series 2, versus series 0 with watchOS 3?

Preordered but will be interested in seeing some comparisons on YouTube.
Already noticing some stuttering, for example in the Breathe app. I'm guessing software will now be designed optimized for series 2, while slower hardware will just run it as well as it can.

Already noticing some stuttering, for example in the Breathe app. I'm guessing software will now be designed optimized for series 2, while slower hardware will just run it as well as it can.

I mean the fact series 1 is launching with new CPU should be a hint. Than and they don't want to manufacture their original SIP anymore.

Shearie

Noticed something interesting about the 38mm ceramic watch. While all the series 2 watches went up to 11.4mm thick up from 10.5mm of the original and series 1, the 38mm ceramic is actually the thickest one at 11.8mm.

Spyware

Been looking at getting a watch for a while, even went and tried on some "regular" watches and read lots and lots about different types. Nothing clicked with me. So I started looking at AW earlier this year and have been waiting on a new one since. Have never even seen a smart watch in person before so it's gonna be fun to check it out. I like gagets a lot and I'm pretty "hyped".
Really bummed about them not releasing Series 1 in stainless steel tho, since I don't really need the S2 features. I don't like the look of the aluminium ones and I always manage to scratch stuff, so I want the SS.

It's annoying that they can't offer more color choices for the bands. I really didn't want any of the ones that the SS comes with. Luckily my SO sorta wanted the brown classic buckle so I got him the black SS with black sport band and got the classic buckle version of mine. Then I could happily choose my bands in the colors I wanted without feeling like I wasted money on ones I don't like.

Put my order in really quick since I had put everything in my fav list before, and still got Oct 6 as estimated date. Funny thing is that if I chose to get them sent separately, nothing in my cart had a later date than Sep 29.

pbsapeer

Banned
Last year was like that too. It's just a pipeline thing. Even though I ordered mine with a leather clasp right at midnight it took like 3-4 weeks longer than the first sport models to ship out.

So you think it's the wristband that's causing the delay in launch?

Mask

I'm considering selling my original one and upgrading to the Nike edition of the second one, just because I like the yellow and black colors, but not sure..

Might just keep both, since I tend to keep my electronics most of the time :p

jts

...hate me...
r1gyoSD.png

Anyone interested in Activity Sharing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ordered my Series 2 today. No Series 2 was available for UK before 30 Sept. Nothing for launch day shipping on Apple.com. Crazy.

So which one did I go for? Wasn't an easy decision. In fact, is was really complex. Here's my rationale.

1. Series 2 steel with white sport band - works with my old Link Bracelet. But shit, I already have a white sport band. Now, a Hermes band would be nice instead.

2. Series 2 steel Hermes - looks gorgeous and sophisticated. But shit, this thing is £1200 for the same old design, which will be replaced next year anyway... and I use it mostly for sports anyway.

3. Series 2 aluminum Nike+ - this looks amazing, great for sports. But shit, aluminum looks hideous with my current Link Bracelet, so nope. Stainless steel it is. But with a new band.

4. Series 2 steel with leather band - looks great, and I could have a leather band for just an extra £100. But shit, it's not nearly as nice as the Hermes band. So I'd rather have that.

5. Series 2 steel with white sport band - ok, I'll pretend I don't have two white bands, and can buy a Hermes band later, and hope Nike+ bands become available separately.

So, Series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band is what I ordered.

Does the White sport band work well with SS? I'm sticking with my OG SS which came with a product (red) sport band. Could swap if you like? Send me your white, you can have my red?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i agree. I'd like a Now Playing complication as well.

Can complications carry out actions directly or do they have to link to an app?

I'd just like a play/pause complication

Actually just bloody let us build our own complications and faces like facer on Android Wear

Ordered my Series 2 today. No Series 2 was available for UK before 30 Sept. Nothing for launch day shipping on Apple.com. Crazy.

So which one did I go for? Wasn't an easy decision. In fact, is was really complex. Here's my rationale.

1. Series 2 steel with white sport band - works with my old Link Bracelet. But shit, I already have a white sport band. Now, a Hermes band would be nice instead.

2. Series 2 steel Hermes - looks gorgeous and sophisticated. But shit, this thing is £1200 for the same old design, which will be replaced next year anyway... and I use it mostly for sports anyway.

3. Series 2 aluminum Nike+ - this looks amazing, great for sports. But shit, aluminum looks hideous with my current Link Bracelet, so nope. Stainless steel it is. But with a new band.

4. Series 2 steel with leather band - looks great, and I could have a leather band for just an extra £100. But shit, it's not nearly as nice as the Hermes band. So I'd rather have that.

5. Series 2 steel with white sport band - ok, I'll pretend I don't have two white bands, and can buy a Hermes band later, and hope Nike+ bands become available separately.

So, Series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band is what I ordered.

I ordered a series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band and my date is the 16th in the UK. Ordered at around 8:05.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to download and play podcasts from the watch to listen to without my phone in my pocket? Only thing I can find from googling is some horrible long-winded workaround using iTunes which I want to avoid

I normally use pocketcasts but would download another app if it could push podcasts to the watch

Chittagong

Gold Member
Does the White sport band work well with SS? I'm sticking with my OG SS which came with a product (red) sport band. Could swap if you like? Send me your white, you can have my red?

Sounds like a plan - I think the white band looks great on SS, I can send you the new one. Wouldn't mind a (RED) band, nice to have something different!

Top Bottom