• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP rogue one

Meowster

I think the epic finale makes up for the weak first part of the movie. I get what they were trying to do with Saw Gerrera but he (and Whitaker himself) just fell flat for me. But everything from finding Galen Erso to the raid at Scarif was really good stuff. The end might have been the best space fight in the series.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
The entire movie was worth it for that hallway scene at the end.

Seriously. I've rewatched that scene like 50 times on YouTube.

Raptor

Horrible movie. I felt offended watching this focus tested, reshooted mess, corporate-engineered, merchandise-vehicle, character-less piece of shit.

Worse than Episode II. No hyperbole.

Episode 2 has Obi in a sea planet against jango Fett, it automatically wins by default.

I thought it was pretty good. I liked it over TFA, and I enjoyed seeing Jyn on screen. It's pretty solid, even if most of the characters aren't very memorable or if the production 'troubles' are visible. It has some sick visuals though, as expected from Edwards.

"Boring" has also gotta be one of the laziest criticisms around. It's so subjective, that it's hard to take seriously. Why did you find yourself bored by it? Like, plenty of folks think Terence Malick films are boring. I don't, when I think of boring movies, I think of shit like Despicable Me and Transformers. Other people find those movies wildly entertaining. It's kind of a useless criticism.

Hardly anyone here wants to write an essay on why they found a movie to be boring. Most are just content with just stating the movie was boring as a shorthand for it not being entertaining and moving on. Most of the posts that said it was boring usually had a reason or two as to why, even the OP.

It had a premise I really liked, and I'm always up for a darker take on SW, but man the movie almost put me to sleep as hard as Phantom Menace, only woke up when Vader went to town in the hallway. The key to a movie like that is to really make me feel for the characters, and I did not give a flying shit about any of them.

Tamanon

Banned
I thought it was a good movie, but god some of the dialogue was terrible.

"Don't CHOKE on your aspirations" ......

Characters were fine if a bit one-note.

Brilliant spin off movie. Well acted, great SFX and a solid, gritty war movie, not just a typical Star Wars movie and actually tied into the start of Episode 4 well too, without feeling forced.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

"I want them alive. No disintegration!"

(kills Needa) "Apologies accepted, Captain Needa"

Sarcastic Vader is nothing new.

Hi. There's no such thing as an unnecessary piece of filmmaking. There's also very few films that could argued to have been "necessary" and I'd argue most of them are documentaries. Things like CitizenFour. There's also more to a story than finding out what happens at the end. If your argument is that it's a bad film from the get-go because we know what will happen, then doesn't that also apply to every historical film ever? Every adapted film ever?

"Boring" has also gotta be one of the laziest criticisms around. It's so subjective, that it's hard to take seriously. Why did you find yourself bored by it? Like, plenty of folks think Terence Malick films are boring. I don't, when I think of boring movies, I think of shit like Despicable Me and Transformers. Other people find those movies wildly entertaining. It's kind of a useless criticism.

Most of your further criticisms seem to revolve around continuity and how it fits into the franchise as a whole, rather than on it's success as a piece of story-telling. To that I say:

You're right, very few films can be argued to be "necessary", however, most good films and good adaptations justify their existence, while Rogue One does nothing of the sort. While you often know what will happen in historical films because their based on history, good films will often have good performances or good character with elements of uncertainty (where you don't know exactly what will happen to a character). It keeps the audience interested even when they know how the story is going to go. For example, I can watch Lincoln even though I know how it will end, because Daniel Day Lewis puts in a fantastic performance that by itself makes the film watchable. None of the acting in Rogue One is particularly good, and some of it is downright awful (Saw, ugh). An example of the second is something like Saving Private Ryan, which takes place in World War 2, so the Nazis will lose, but the tension in the plot comes from whether or not the squad will end up surviving, and whether they'll be able to save Matt Damon. Saving Private Ryan also has good, likable characters who talk to each other a lot and actually feel like they're part of a team. I still remember smaller characters from that team like Upham and Reiben. On the other hand, Rogue One's characters are bland and forgettable, apart from K2SO. I still don't know the name of Donnie Yen's friend, and have no idea whatsoever why he was a part of that movie. He barely has an impact on the story. Movies like Lincoln and Saving Private Ryan justify their existence by being good. Rogue One offers nothing to get the audience invested, like creating an interesting character the audience gets invested in and whose fate in the movie is uncertain, creating tension by getting them worried about whether that character lives or dies.

It's the same problem with bad remakes that are cash grabs; they do nothing to justify their existence. They don't do anything new or interesting with their material, and if they do have a cool concept, they fuck up the execution. They don't improve on the original work in any way, and are just mediocre movies. One of my favourite remakes is John Carpenter's The Thing. It improved significantly on the special effects of the original, with some terrifying monster designs, and also played up the paranoia horror aspect, leading to a movie that justified it's existence by having a new take on the concept of The Thing From Another World, and ends up being a damn fine horror movie. Compare that with the prequel/remake of it from 2011. The monster designs are bad, and it ends up trying to be the John Carpenter film, so much that it explained a whole bunch of things in the original (things that didn't need an explanation, like why an axe was embedded in a door). It was also bad. It didn't do anything to justify its existence, and was rightly criticized for it.

If you have a problem with the "boring" criticism, here's a few more specific ones. The movie is boring because none of the characters are interesting. They're either barely there (Donnie Yen's friend) or are inconsistent, so they feel less like a cohesive character and more like a whatever the writer needed them to be at the moment (Jyn going from being angry at the Rebels to "rebellions are built on hope", and the pilot guy having his insanity cured in a couple seconds). The plot also spends too much time spinning its wheels. The second act on the water planet is basically superfluous and doesn't advance the plot in any way (Jyn gains no new information about the Death Star, and her anger over the Rebels killing her father disappears after a single short scene with Cassian, like it never existed in the first place). Another example is the tentacle monster: it accomplishes nothing. Saw uses it and goes from not trusting the pilot to... not trusting the pilot, and the pilot gets over the insanity brought on by getting mind raped after Cassian asks him a couple questions.

Zabka

Dad should've written down some notes on the Death Star weakness and put it in the message he smuggled out in the beginning.

fatchris

Horrible movie. I felt offended watching this focus tested, reshooted mess, corporate-engineered, merchandise-vehicle, character-less piece of shit.

I had to choose between this movie and Arrival. I fucked up so bad.

Toparaman

Banned
It's so gritty. And I can finally, finally take Star Wars seriously.

lol

I get what they were trying to go for, but the execution was lacking. The characters were more self-serious than characters in movies about actual wars. The movie is gritty for the sake of grittiness, without actually dealing with any mature subject matter. It feels like it was made for people who insist that their childhood favorites grow up with them. But a big part of Star Wars's original success came from its innocence, its simple portrayal of good versus evil, offering a sharp contrast to the jaded cynicism of other '70s cinema.

Capitan

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

"I want them alive. No disintegration!"

(kills Needa) "Apologies accepted, Captain Needa"

Sarcastic Vader is nothing new.

imo the rogue one pun sounds more like a bad dad joke than the others.

I liked the movie over all, though.

First third of the movie is a MESS. I have a feeling this is where most of it was butchered in the editing room, and boy does it show. Second third is okay buy nothing to write home about. Last third is great.

So overall it was alright, but could have (and really, should have) been a lot better.

Greedings

A truly awful movie. It barely made sense. The plot was stupid, the characters were bland, and fan service was rampant.

If it hadn't cost me £30 to see it in the IMAX, I would have walked out.

Hazelhurst

I remember being very bored in the theater. I didn't care about any of the forgettable characters or the boring story. It was a pretty face with no personality. I have a bad feeling about the Han Solo movie.

rekameohs

Banned
This movie is like straight outta the EU. Nonsensical characters, completely forced romance at the last second, fanservice-y action, """""gritty""""" setting. And frankly, it'll probably be tossed away from memory like those in time.

But I appreciated the effort to try something new. It just....could've been done better.

Monocle

Rogue One is really good. First off, it's beautiful. It's shot differently than a conventional Star Wars movie, and the new aesthetic offsets the possibility of treading on Ep. 4's toes tonally. It still looks like Star Wars, because there are enough recognizable elements from the OT, but you're seeing it all from a different perspective. I think that was the right way to make a movie that's directly adjacent to the original.

Rogue One might not have been "necessary," but that's a piss poor way to evaluate a movie. Most of the books aren't "necessary" either. Their appeal lies in seeing more of the Star Wars universe, usually from an angle the mainline movies glossed over. In Rogue One, you see more of how the Empire operates, you get a good and apt explanation for the Death Star's critical weakness, and you get to see shades of gray in the Rebel Alliance—in particular, Jyn & co. parleying with Saw Gerrera's ruthless group, and Cassian's secret assassination orders.

Hell, I'll just quote a post I made in a previous RO thread.

Monocle said:
Rogue One's four main achievements in my view are:

1) Providing a really excellent retcon that explains the Death Star's fatal weak point. It's logical and adds a poignant new layer to ANH. Now, the destruction of the Death Star is Galen Erso's vindication too. He sacrificed his last years for a worthy cause.

2) Giving the Rebellion shades of gray. The previous films painted them almost as wide-eyed do-gooders. The good guys. Rogue One shows their cutthroat, morally questionable, pragmatic side.

3) Showing the human cost of the Empire's brutal methods.

4) And the least of the four, but so satisfying, was showing a little sample of how Vader earned his fearsome reputation.

Some of that is redundant because of what I just wrote. Oh well.

That's the best line in the whole movie. It's quintessential Star Wars. The delivery is everything.

keuja

It's not the movie fault if y'all have heart of ice. I was attached to that Jyn girl :(.
I liked it mainly because it brings a new perspective to the story and for the world building (yes I always did wonder what sacrifices the rebellion had to make to get the death star data). The ending was great as well.

tolkir

It's very good, I'm with the people who says it's best SW movie after original trilogy.
Finally we saw a real Star 'Wars' movie.

PD: Jyn > Rey.

MadeULook

I thought Rouge One was an incredibly boring movie from start to finish. Characters were a bore and I could care less what happened to them. Dosen't help we barely know anything about the majority of them. Didn't feel a thing once they all died, in fact, it was a relief since that meant the movie was almost over. I felt the same way after a recent rewatch on Netflix.

It dosen't help you already know they are gonna get the plans from the start, so there isn't any excitement in the main plot. It just trodds along without any real urgency.

Only scene I really liked was
Vader absolutely recking the rebels shit in the hallway. It was fanservice to the max but it's fanservice done right.

dlauv

It was trash. All of the dialogue was undercooked and all of the drama fell completely flat. Vader making schoolyard one-liners in his volcanic lair to the swelling music, all played completely straight, was god fucking awful -- and worse, you know people were totally into it.

I liked Donnie Yen, but I agree with your criticisms.

We walked out of the theater -- just before the Vader fight scene, apparently.

HariKari

Rogue One finishes strong and its a better movie than TFA. TFA can only be retroactively redeemed- it's garbage as the first movie of a new trilogy.

The entire Saw Gerrera thing was dumb and unnecessary. I'm really curious to see what the movie was like before Disney hacked it up.

Monocle

Rogue One finishes strong and its a better movie than TFA. TFA can only be retroactively redeemed- it's garbage as the first movie of a new trilogy.

The entire Saw Gerrera thing was dumb and unnecessary. I'm really curious to see what the movie was like before Disney hacked it up.
A "garbage" movie wouldn't have established the primary hero and villain characters so well. If TFA is garbage I want to see way more garbage movies. That's some mighty fine garbage.

SMG

It was OK. But kept killing potentially amazing moments of tension by using its massive budget to blow the scale out.

The ending based on the shielded planet being one example. Before hundreds of rebel ships came their was a genuine sense of dread, how will they get back through the gate.
Then a massive barney happens and the tension dissipates.
Same with going through the streets under the destroyer.

My favorite Star Wars film since Empire tbh. Loved the final space battle.

yup, hard agree.

watched the original trilogy again [or tried to] after enjoying this film so much.

ANH was still pretty ok, Empire was awesome [duh], and could hardly watch most of RotJ [like, beginning is great, entire middle is shit, and many parts of the ending are good, but fuck ewoks / endor man]

personally feel like Rogue One is the best film of all of them, kind of set a new standard for me in the world of SW.

A "garbage" movie wouldn't have established the primary hero and villain characters so well. If TFA is garbage I want to see way more garbage movies. That's some mighty fine garbage.

lol, too true.

can't blame the guy you're quoting though, this is the internet, and the internet loves hyperbole.

Bulby

Was a good movie. But its only Star Wars Ive never watched again, just because I found the middle such a drag.

It had great spectacle, but it didnt have the characters or charm to make me watch a second time.

120v

sorry but just a total bore of a movie and i don't know why they felt this was a story that needed to be told. i could overlook it if the characters were interesting beyond the robot (perhaps they could've gone with a smaller ensemble to accomplish this)

silver lining is it has what's perhaps the best battle sequences in the series. or at least since Empire... but i just wanted the thing to end already.

i don't have a problem with CG leia but the way it all played out i felt like they should've cued the Looney Tunes theme and porky pig's "th-th-thats all folks"

Unapologetically my favorite star war

Going in, you knew everyone was pretty much done for, so I liked the story they told with them. I liked how Jyn and Cassian's relationship was mostly shown through their actions instead of episode 2 picnic scenes, K2S0 is my fav droid and more dimensions to force-worshippers are always welcome

The Death Star was used as a set piece better than most the other films imo, and you saw more than the famous 3/4 angle shot.

Krennic was a compelling villain with ambition and motives I liked. Also, he's the only character in the franchise to get /personally/ obliterated by the Death Star

Force Awakens was a fun, high octane romp that established the new trilogy, but I liked that Rogue One told a story I'd always wanted to see onscreen (along with all those dead Bothans) and it was everything I'd personally want. Also a beach planet!!!! Scarif is my fav Star Wars world aesthetically

Rogue One feels different than the other movies to me, which is exactly what I was wanting in the Story spinoffs. I really hope all of the side stories are this divisive

maybe you should rewatch ANH because rogue one isn't about dead bothans.

In ROTJ the woman talks about alot of dead bothans. The movie you're talking about doesn't exist.

They should make a movie of Lando finding and infiltrating jabba the huts.. hut.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

This just makes you sound really dumb and immature.

What a terrible scene, terrible dialogue.

Vader making choke joke, hell. Any competent movie watcher understands that this is so out of character if you've watched the OT.

That volcano fortress seems so lame and edgy.

Do you get a badge for being a 'competent movie watcher'?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Yea, I'm glad I'm not as ridged as a lot of people who criticize these movies are. Not that criticisms aren't founded, but they're certainly blown out of proportion and to the extent that they bother those people, they certainly don't bother me.

Bring on more "garbage" like Episode VII, then. I'll gladly accept it.

I'll list pros off the top of my head from what I can remember of Rogue One:

+Amazing cinematography. Even the most "boring" scenes were beautifully shot and a joy to look at.
+I thought the acting was pretty good, especially those who play Krennic, Gerrera, Cassian, Baze, and Galen.
+Death star finally feeling like a devastating super weapon. Yea, I saw how devastating it can be in the original trilogy when it blew up those planets, but the special effects weren't very good so I never appreciated them. Rogue One on the other hand made me feel how truly awful it can be. It was really awe-inspiring (seriously, the Death Star firings were my favorite scenes, not including the Vader scene)
+Best space battle in the series thus far. Really well coordinated. Also, ships trying to beat out that force field from recovering (yaaaas)
+Explaining away the defect in the Death Star as something purposely done, which makes me feel A LOT better about it blowing up so easily in A New Hope. I always thought it was absolutely bogus that such a flaw was approved, when in fact it wasn't.
+The final battle and attempt to retrieve the plans really felt like the entire Empire was coming crashing down on these poor bastards.
  • Droids were heavily encroaching on Jyn, Cassian and K-2S0
  • Krennic was under considerable pressure by his superiors to get the weapon to function and to prevent the rebels from escaping with the plans (I felt quite a bit of anxiety for this guy).
  • The beach battle and the never-ending onslaught of troopers. Also the surprise grenade-death that took Bodhi. God damn
  • Felt like there was Nazi symbolism with the Empire hunting down and forcing scientists to work on its super weapon
  • The Empire making the decision to completely annihilate its own base with its starred military commander still on it. Tarkin's decision to do this felt like an appropriate culmination of all the heinous acts the Empire committed throughout the film, with this scene being the absolute worst. There was no difficulty on Tarkin's and the Empire's part to kill its own allies, which really sealed the deal for me in terms of feeling that the Empire was a menacing force to be reckoned with. Up until this film, I never appreciated how diabolical the Empire could be.
+And that ending Vader scene. Absolutely amazing and exactly how I imagined him to operate when he didn't move like a stick figure in the original trilogy due to constraints at the time.

I really enjoyed this movie.

JayTapp

Do you get a badge for being a 'competent movie watcher'?

Seeing how many people don't understand how Rey learns of the force and just say say Kylo is emo and a bad character, yeah I feel some people should get a lesson on how to watch a movie when they're is no narrator explaining everything.

I liked it :/
I feel like it really slows down in the middle, but The space and land battle is one of the coolest sequences I've seen in a Star Wars movie.

It still has flaws. It doesn't stick the landing (with the CG leia, and the last line she says.) It is also is super jumpy in the first act.

Now TFA, I recently watched TFA I still honestly love that movie. I find the characters better and that ending Lightsaber battle when Rey force pulls the lightsaber out of the snow, still gives me chills.

JimiNutz

Banned
For me the finale makes up for absolutely everything. Finally we actually get a decent war battle in a film series called Star WARS. This actually felt like a war (at the end). It was really refreshing that everyone died and to finally see Vader in action against regular troops was absolutely glorious!

Seeing how many people don't understand how Rey learns of the force and just say say Kylo is emo and a bad character, yeah I feel some people should get a lesson on how to watch a movie when they're is no narrator explaining everything.

Well I agree with you on this but disagree about Vader's dialogue so I must be a semi-competent movie watcher.

I thought it was competently made enough to be better than the prequels, but utterly devoid of any of the charm, storytelling finesse, or strong characterization of any of the other movies.

I will say that the director has one clear talent that's evident in both this film and Godzilla, and that's that he's is capable of capturing truly awe-inspiring scale in his imagery like few can.

My favorite Star Wars film, also the film that made me dislike Star Wars as a whole. Its hard to explain
Sounds like Age of Apocalypse and X-Men comics for me. :lol

I liked Rogue One. I need to rewatch it, but the first hour or so seemed to jump around too much for me, but I liked the characters and the last act was exhilarating to me.

Worst of the Star Wars movies. I rewatched A New Hope last night, and that ending of Rogue One fit so damn poorly with opening of A New Hope. The shit just doesn't fit at all. Also, the one word they give Leia, and they manage to put something in her mouth incredibly out-of-character. "Hope." Meh. Listening to her talk throughout A New Hope made me realize how out-of-place that one word was for her.

For me the finale makes up for absolutely everything. Finally we actually get a decent war battle in a film series called Star WARS. This actually felt like a war (at the end). It was really refreshing that everyone died and to finally see Vader in action against regular troops was absolutely glorious!
I would've liked it more if the big ships didn't show up then sit there doing nothing in the battle.

Top Bottom