• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

spannicus

Plasma, LCD, LED, OLED, which is the best for the next gen consoles? These are from my 50" Toshiba 1080P LED TV 120hz, playing PS360 and the Wii U on it is amazing. No doubt our Tv's add to our gaming experiences and with the next gen consoles coming, which are the best ones to give you your moneys worth? Yeah I know 4K Tv but Who can afford one of those?
UPDATE BEST TVS FOR HDR GAMING. Credit to Backfoggen
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

UPDATE BEST TVS FOR GAMING SUMMER 2016
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best

UPDATE Thanks Four Wude for suggesting the Displaylag.com TV Input Lag Database http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

UPDATE Adding link for those who need a little more information when making a purchace. http://digthatbox.com/the_top_five_next_gen_gaming_tvs.html
IMG_20130223_035018_zpsf52bc70a.jpg

UPDATE LCD Buying guidehttp://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/top10.shtml

IMG_20130223_034228_zpsfcc3bc3f.jpg

IMG_20130223_035448_zps70e5f61e.jpg

IMG_20130223_142918_zps4cd3c103.jpg

UPDATE 2015 Best TV's for gaming
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/tv/tr-top-10-best-tvs-for-gaming-2015-1289344

UPDATE Info for those who are seeking a projector for gaming.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-projector_round-up

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yep, have a Panasonic Plasma, and don't feel like upgrading at all. That said, OLED tech looks interesting but since most games will be in 1080p, I'll stick with my current TV.

Whatever technology can produce 4k TVs for the cheapest... so probably LCD, but until then, Plasma is the best, until they stop making them.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
My Wii U looks fantastic on my Panasonic plasma.

In the shop lcds look brighter but once you get. a plasma set home you will never consider it too dark.

Raistlin

LCoS, though Plasma has motion advantages for 30fps material.

OLED has potential, but it needs some time for non-early adopters.

jett

D-Member
I'm looking for an LED TV(not interested in plasmas for a variety or reasons). I don't notice input lag at all on my led monitor, will I have issues with an LED TV?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
My Samsung LED works/looks pretty brilliant, much better than any LCD I ever owned. I can't speak on Plasma, as I've never owned one.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I'm looking for an LED TV(not interested in plasmas for a variety or reasons). I don't notice input lag at all on my led monitor, will I have issues with an LED TV?

I own a LED by Samsung and I notice no input lag issues.

spannicus

The Toshiba that I have has a function called Game Mode within the menu. The colors are much more vibrant than any LCD that I have owned and I have not experienced one issue with this Tv, its extremely thin and the speakers sound like a home theater. I would guess LED tvs last longer than the others. Ive not had any problems with the PS3, XBOX OR Wii U so I doubt you should have a problem and depends on the manufacturer.

Korezo

Panasonic Plasma until OLEDs become affordable.

Even though Plasmas do have some of the best accurate colors I've seen, these new ones like the Panasonic Gt/vt and top of the line Samsung all have terrible input lag and terrible image retention. Last year I bought the pany Gt30 50" and had problems with image retention, anything that appeared on the screen would automatically stick instantly. The store I bought it from didn't want to exchange and pany didn't want to replace, in the end I just called my credit card and explained issue and they gave me a refund and I stayed with a free tv. I doubt plasmas are good for gaming anymore.

Rocket786

A full array local dimming led will be up there with the best plasma has to offer. That being said, I'd say OLED as soon as they become affordable.

angelfly

My Panasonic plasma that I got near the beginning of the generation has been serving me well. So I way Plasma all the way.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Even though Plasmas do have some of the best accurate colors I've seen, these new ones like the Panasonic Gt/vt and top of the line Samsung all have terrible input lag and terrible image retention. Last year I bought the pany Gt30 50" and had problems with image retention, anything that appeared on the screen would automatically stick instantly. The store I bought it from didn't want to exchange and pany didn't want to replace, in the end I just called my credit card and explained issue and they gave me a refund and I stayed with a free tv. I doubt plasmas are good for gaming anymore.

So much wrong here.

Change your settings to eliminate the input lag. Image retention can happen, but it's not permanent, be careful and you're fine. i played like 300 hours of SWTOR in 5 weeks on my Panny Plasma with only minor issues. In full color programming you couldn't see any of the image retention and it was gone within a couple hours.

There is no best TV type, just get whatever works for you.

Also wrong.

Asimov

Banned
Well... I bought a few months an LG LED TV, 50" with 3D and SmartTV capabilities... I wanted to buy a SmartTV because I wanted a TV hanged on the wall of my bedroom, and I wanted to see Netflix on it.

Oh, what a surprise! Sluggish as fuck, black leves were crap, the sound was awful (very small speakers because it was very thin).

Well... I returned it and I decided that I wanted a pure TV. Just a TV. No 3D crap, no SmartTV, no WiFi... just a pure TV. Then I just decided to attach an AppleTV on the back of it.

I decided to get a Plasma by LG too. Wow... what a difference!

I got the 50PA6500... Plasma TV, 50" 1080. Super black levels and color accuracy. And the best of all... Plasma TV's do not suffer from response times. Plus, it has one of those very thin bezels. They handle fast motion images way way better than any LCD/LED TV.

So, my best bet would be a Plasma TV, especially for the lack of response time problems. There is only two downsides I can think about the Plasma TV's: they use more electrical power and they are very reflective.

This is the Amazon link... it is $750 with a third party vendor, but you can get the 50" locally for about $700 at Sears or Sam's Club.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z9W6AW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Jtrizzy

Plasma if you want the best picture quality and don't mind babying it/breaking it in for the first 200 hours. Other than that it's not even a contest when it comes to the most important things like how the handle fast motion, color accuracy, black levels, edge bleeding, and response time.

So very, very wrong.

stryke

I would very much like to have a look at an OLED tv. I'm curious if the mura defect has been rectified yet.

Deku Tree

Love my Panasonic UT50 Plasma. Excellent PQ. Best bang for your buck plasma IMO.
Too bad it is on the way out for the 2013 models...

Nuklear

Banned
If money isn't an issue OLED by far. It's insane how good the Vita's screen looks and I would love to have an OLED tv to play my PS3/360/WiiU games on.

Top Bottom