• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Layer EX devs expect to lose money, just want to make a game

pHand

Capcom have been highlighting SF EX characters on their CRI site recently: https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/columnlist

ex00.jpg
ex01.jpg
ex02.jpg

What's especially interesting is that they commissioned new art for the EX characters, and even brought Nin in to provide commentary. Regarding D. Dark, Nin said: "I feel this is a good character, so I'd love to make a spin-off game featuring him someday!" Hmm....

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah, ever since they decided not to do a crowdfunding campaign it's been speculated they might have found a publisher.

I'd personally bet that if there is one that the pub is Capcom. I get the feeling that if Ono both already knows these guys & likes what he sees, that he'd go to bat for them to convince the Capcom execs. It might not even be that hard of a sell considering what they already have amongst other things. Then again, does Capcom even have any money to spare?

farisr

Damn, this kind of dashes my hopes (that I borrowed from someone else, lol) of this actually ending up as a SF game.

Will definitely support.

FinKL

Respect I'll be there day 1 for them. I remember going through each characters arcade to unlock characters as a kid. Fighting games need all the support they can get

Wow! You know what? I'll buy it to support these guys! I don't know much of their previous works but I'll help in any way I am able to for passion projects.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if it's possible or not but they should try to hit all the platforms if they are self publishing.
As someone who owns all three and is a diehard Nintendo fan, I gotta disagree. I want ARIKA to succeed and be able to focus on their vision. If it takes off, then let big publishers approach them.

Sami+

Ha, that's wild. I don't play traditional fighters really but I'm willing to put some down for this just for that.

zenspider

Hope they can get to the finish line with this. It looks so fun. I always thought of EX as a bargain-bin 3D SF, but after SFV (which I love) I'm really nostalgic for those kind of characters vs Necalli, Ed, Abagail, etc.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's a shame, more people should be on board to support a good fighting game. What is wrong with this world?

yurinka

I love this guys. I want to support them. What I saw seems good enough to buy it at full price.

And well, the trailer had many clues pointing to plot twist where this game is would be Street Fighter EX 4 instead of Fighting EX Layer.

They need a closed beta/open beta/VS. demo as soon as possible.
They already announced it, it's coming around Christmas, late 2017.

h0mebas3

Def. But, the laminated pamphlets didn't come off as ghetto to me. It seemed like a nice way to brush up on system mechanics and moves while in line before wasting hella time trying to figure it out on the fly.

I second the fact that it didn't come off ghetto as well, in fact it was a high quality laminated card legal size print out. I took a picture and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Space-wise, I wonder if they just didn't anticipate the interest for the game. I found their location and went there on Day 1 right after Dragon Ball Z Fighter--by mid day Saturday the lines were deep with people waiting in line to play on the single setup they had.

wci5DRh.jpg

FinKL

I second the fact that it didn't come off ghetto as well, in fact it was a high quality laminated card legal size print out. I took a picture and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Space-wise, I wonder if they just didn't anticipate the interest for the game. I found their location and went there on Day 1 right after Dragon Ball Z Fighter--by mid day Saturday the lines were deep with people waiting in line to play on the single setup they had.

wci5DRh.jpg
What is Progressive? Easy/Simple Input? I mean it looks fine to me

PullumPurna

Neo Member
I'm so happy with this game, those characters are so nostalgic! And I'm reeeeeeally excited for Pullum, as you guys can imagine. Hahaha
Anyways, definetely supporting the game and I really hope the fg community embraces it.

No PC port and the gem system being integrated into gameplay make this a solid no for me. Inevitable announcement of Capcom publishing (and therefore SF characters) as well as a PC port would change that.

But to everybody looking forward to this game right now: I hope this game turns out to be everything you want and more. This game was in "Not in a million years" territory before three months ago, and to see it have a smooth launch and turn out to be a great game would make a lot of people happy I'm sure.

Zukkoyaki

I've never played these games before and no next to nothing about this title or the dev... But I like fighters and passionate devs so I'm in!

Doubt it. Compatibility testing across wide permutation of configurations would take a lot more resources.

No. That's not how it works. Especially on UE4 which is meant for this. I mean, how do you think indie devs do ? Heck even one person teams. Compatibility testing is just like QA. And very few developpers do a "wide permutation of configurations". They just take into account modern featuresets for CPU/GPU.

Renekton

No. That's not how it works. Especially on UE4 which is meant for this. I mean, how do you think indie devs do ? Heck even one person teams. Compatibility testing is just like QA. And very few developpers do a "wide permutation of configurations". They just take into account modern featuresets for CPU/GPU.
Namedropping UE4 doesn't solve the compatibility testing needs.

Indie games are usually not demanding on hardware.

Fugu

Arika is low key one of the best developers in the business. I'd support this if it came to a platform I own.

Grimsen

You can't release a fighting game on PC only and hope it starts getting play on the competitive circuit. It had to be on ps4.

Namedropping UE4 doesn't solve the compatibility testing needs.

Indie games are usually not demanding on hardware.

There's a lot of demanding indie games. And what does it have to do with being demanding ? Uh yes, namedropping UE4 solve said issue because that's what such engine is meant for. PC isnt some alien technology where different ram will break the game. Because that's what compatibility testing is about: Booting the game.

Indie games, even demanding ones, dont go through extensive compatibility testing.

zeniselv

Is a statement like that not more likely to get the sympathy vote from a lot of people... and possibly enough for them to actually make a profit?
It could, but fighting games don't make that much money, and as you can see at a glance this has a lot of effort put into it, I for one find the artstyle and gameplay more appealing that SF IV and V.

UE4 solves PC hardware/config compatibility issues, you heard it here folks.

Yeah, I wonder what is the point for vendors to work with middleware makers lol. It's not like AMD/NVidia/Intel works closely with Epic or Unity to support major featuresets or architectures specificity to allow their game to run on most hardware. :")

Or maybe you're one of the person who firmly believe developpers must test on a huge range of PCs, because a different brand or HDD might break the game. :"")

lupinko

You can't release a fighting game on PC only and hope it starts getting play on the competitive circuit. It had to be on ps4.

It had to be on PS4 because PC gaming is not really a thing in Japan outside of Minecraft and doujin games.

Top Bottom