• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Layer EX devs expect to lose money, just want to make a game

No. That's not how it works. Especially on UE4 which is meant for this. I mean, how do you think indie devs do ? Heck even one person teams. Compatibility testing is just like QA. And very few developpers do a "wide permutation of configurations". They just take into account modern featuresets for CPU/GPU.

Which is still an incredibly varied amount of configurations. Do you have any experience in QA at all to be making these claims?

Skimping out on compatibility testing is a surefire way to have your game shit on for being a bad port.

Which is still an incredibly varied amount of configurations. Do you have any experience in QA at all to be making these claims?

Skimping out on compatibility testing is a surefire way to have your game shit on for being a bad port.

And hence why you have modern middlewares to handle this.
No, I have zero experience in QA. Although, it's not complicated to just take a look at what indies can do, even with a really small team.

Game developpement on PC is the same thing, whenever you're a one person team or a 100 person one. And I doubt the one person team go through QA with lot of configurations.

And hence why you have modern middlewares to handle this.
No, I have zero experience in QA. Although, it's not complicated to just take a look at what indies can do, even with a really small team.

Game developpement on PC is the same thing, whenever you're a one person team or a 100 person one. And I doubt the one person team go through QA with lot of configurations.

The volume of sales between indies and AAA plus the way fans would react to compatibility issues are the two factors you are missing.

Its not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I've never played these games before and no next to nothing about this title or the dev... But I like fighters and passionate devs so I'm in!

Arika was founded by ex-Capcom people, including one of the main figures behind Street Fighter 2; they made the Street Fighter EX series as well as an arcade-only fighting game called Fighting Layer and they're also behind the Tetris: The Grand Master series (the crazy games you see on speedrunning streams) as well as many of the Dr. Mario games and Nintendo's Endless Ocean series.

The volume of sales between indies and AAA plus the way fans would react to compatibility issues are the two factors you are missing.

Its not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.

Not really. I mean, we're not talking about a AAA game here for one. And second, compatibility issues is the key word here. A lot of indies are able to ship games that are considered good port, without any major issues. They didn't go through extensive testing through a wide range of configuration. Because there are multiple standards and middleware that are supposed to handle all these hardware configurations, which are supposed to comply to said standards.

"Not really. I mean, we're not talking about a AAA game here for one. And second, compatibility issues is the key word here. A lot of indies are able to ship games that are considered good port, without any major issues. They didn't go through extensive testing through a wide range of configuration. Because there are multiple standards and middleware that are supposed to handle all these hardware configurations, which are supposed to comply to said standards."

Yup. The idea that PC games require a lot of testing for different hardware configurations is extremely antiquated.

"Not really. I mean, we're not talking about a AAA game here for one. And second, compatibility issues is the key word here. A lot of indies are able to ship games that are considered good port, without any major issues. They didn't go through extensive testing through a wide range of configuration. Because there are multiple standards and middleware that are supposed to handle all these hardware configurations, which are supposed to comply to said standards."

Yup. The idea that PC games require a lot of testing for different hardware configurations is extremely antiquated.

I just shipped a flagship fighting game on Steam and we are still getting new issues cropping up on a daily basis. We spent a lot of time testing a lot of antiquated hardware because we know users barely pay attention to required specs or expect their rig to magically overcome those hard requirements.

It's easier than it used to be but the amount of testing needed for a proper PC port is not comparable to what you need for something like PS4.

And indie devs still have issues too. Go take a look at the tech support forums for any big name indie on Steam and I'm sure you will find hundreds if not thousands of comments/threads.

Renekton

I just shipped a flagship fighting game on Steam and we are still getting new issues cropping up on a daily basis. We spent a lot of time testing a lot of antiquated hardware because we know users barely pay attention to required specs or expect their rig to magically overcome those hard requirements.

It's easier than it used to be but the amount of testing needed for a proper PC port is not comparable to what you need for something like PS4.

And indie devs still have issues too. Go take a look at the tech support forums for any big name indie on Steam and I'm sure you will find hundreds if not thousands of comments/threads.
Wow I can only imagine how long your issue tracker was at launch.

Wow I can only imagine how long your issue tracker was at launch.

We never should have aimed for the specs we did on the minimum honestly.
We had a lot of issues with the stupid Integrated Intel HD graphics because for certain types of laptops they can't even update to the newest drivers for some odd reason
(I guess some issue with the manufacturer bios? I dunno).

However, we managed to pull it off and outside of a few people complaining about the 'shit port' it was received very well.

We never should have aimed for the specs we did on the minimum honestly.
We had a lot of issues with the stupid Integrated Intel HD graphics because for certain types of laptops they can't even update to the newest drivers for some odd reason
(I guess some issue with the manufacturer bios? I dunno).

However, we managed to pull it off and outside of a few people complaining about the 'shit port' it was received very well.

So the problem came from the vendor and the material which wasnt meant for games.

PantsuJo

Boy, this age is golden.

Wipeout, Crash, an RE2 Remake incoming, a CTR incoming (i presume) ... And now a SF "EX" sequel (sort of)!

This is the third act of the 90s, there is no other explanation.

I'm gonna buy this day one

Shitting up the thread with comments like this isn't going to do this game any favors, especially when they've already accepted the game is going to fail.

What? Saying it looks great compared to more high-profile games won't do the game any favors? Where's the logic in that?

He means no point stinking up the topic by bashing other games.

-shrug-

They're making this on a shoestring budget and manage to outshine or at the very least hold their own against some of the major players right now. If that offends anyone, it's on them.

So the problem came from the vendor and the material which wasnt meant for games.

For that one problem, yes.

But there are so many issues that pop up during PC dev that it is insane.
We had a post-release issue that didn't get caught during compatibility testing where the game screen got darker when running OBS for streaming.

These are the kind of things that you just don't even have to think about during normal console Dev.

There is also the fact that any such issues would be caught by mandatory TRC checks which would mean the game couldn't even release on console.

The lack of that on platforms like Steam is both a blessing and a curse IMO.

Gren

I think this might be the first game I buy for PS4 (despite not owning the console), regardless of any indication that a PC port may be coming. Arika is even more of an underdog than SNK ever was.

For that one problem, yes.

But there are so many issues that pop up during PC dev that it is insane.
We had a post-release issue that didn't get caught during compatibility testing where the game screen got darker when running OBS for streaming.

These are the kind of things that you just don't even have to think about during normal console Dev.

There is also the fact that any such issues would be caught by mandatory TRC checks which would mean the game couldn't even release on console.

The lack of that on platforms like Steam is both a blessing and a curse IMO.

Right, so nothing hardware related/multiple configurations available but software interfering.
Which was my point: It's not a "there's so many hardware configuration possible that it means you need to test on a wide range of hardware".

Shin

Banned
There's a BETA at the end of the year for those asking, apparently.
I suggested it on their YouTube 50 min video and people said there is one coming.
They could self publish it on PSN if they go digital only, could save money by doing that.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah I'm all over this game, looks fantastic I'm buying it Day 1. I hope it delivers in the gameplay department and gets a good word of mouth rep in the FGC..and maybe even makes them some money.

Right, so nothing hardware related/multiple configurations available but software interfering.
Which was my point: It's not a "there's so many hardware configuration possible that it means you need to test on a wide range of hardware".

You're just playing semantics now.

The fact that software can interfere is an aspect specific to the PC hardware. That isn't something occurs on PS4.

There were also issues that were specific to ATI cards, sound issues that were specific to older sound cards, issues with triple monitors, 3rd party PC controllers, etc. etc

lupinko

Will definitely add this to my library when it's free for PS+. ;)

This is either horrible unfunny sarcasm or someone who is avatar quote fishing.

I think this might be the first game I buy for PS4 (despite not owning the console), regardless of any indication that a PC port may be coming. Arika is even more of an underdog than SNK ever was.

Eh, SNK is backed by strong ownership, they're fine. Just because the US doesn't care for SNK doesn't mean that the sky is falling for them.

They have a purchase in me, so long as I can pre-order it at a reasonable price and D.Dark is in the roster.

Also, it's amusing how Switch port-begging is singled out every time now, but do the same for PC and it's fine.

Gren

Eh, SNK is backed by strong ownership, they're fine. Just because the US doesn't care for SNK doesn't mean that the sky is falling for them.

Eh, hindsight is 20/20; I was surprised as much as anyone else that the latest KOF turned to *not* be a cynical cash-grab by the powers that be.

I can only hope that Arika, without the direct backing of SF-properties, will fare just as well.

Not sure fighting games are niche this year

Which is awesome, by the way

They are better off than they were years ago, especially what with esports gaining traction.

But they are still by and large comparatively niche to other genres. They don't sell all that much, snafus or not. The esports scene is still in the lower part of the numbers in terms of viewership when compared to Overwatch and other shooters. It's growing, but still pretty niche.

What's worse for Arika is that they are still relatively unknown, even within the gaming community. Hell, most people have no clue that they own the rights to these characters, or that Skullo and co. are Arika made and not Capcom made. So it's even harder for them to gain a foothold.

You're just playing semantics now.

The fact that software can interfere is an aspect specific to the PC hardware. That isn't something occurs on PS4.

There were also issues that were specific to ATI cards, sound issues that were specific to older sound cards, issues with triple monitors, 3rd party PC controllers, etc. etc

Not really. The point I was making is that no, it's not about extensive testing of various hardware, since a lot of indies wont do it and release their games without major issues. Because it's all about modern hardware being compliant to standards and modern engines supporting all these standards.

Can software interfere with PC games ? Sure, I'm not denying that. Does it mean minor issues can't exist ? Absolutely not.

Do you need nowadays to do extensive PC configuration testing for your game to work ? Not at all.

Issues with 3rd party peripherals always existed, even for some console games.

Yeah I'm down for this, hopefully we get D.Dark and Blair, preferably with some nice modern soft body physics to do her killer curves justice.

Top Bottom