• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBC: "Killing Nazis, fighting religious fanaticism the focus of upcoming video games"

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I only have one request for everyone gonna play these games.

tumblr_ouqd76tBtU1tepew7o1_500.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
been a while since I played the game, but didn't the members of the Vox populi just of the deep end when they rebelled?

I thought one of the reasons they wanted to kill Booker was because he died in the alternate universe they entered or something I like that.

I am probably recalling details wrong.

The end result of that gimmick?
It was hard for me to enjoy a game that made slavery freedom fighters into a regular enemy to pour led into.

Toa TAK

Banned
Between Wolfenstein and CODWWI's campaign,

It's a good time to be Nazi Huntin'

I'm still iffy on how Far Cry 5 will handle its commentary, but I'm anxious for its release regardless.

Loxley

Don't forget there's also COD: WW2 hitting in November. From what Sledgehammer have said, it sounds like they're not going to shy away from showing the horrors of the Nazis - which it feels like some folks in this country could use a reminder of.

Nesotenso

The end result of that gimmick?

I didn't have an issue with killing people who wanted to kill you and also were killing everyone else in sight. I think infinite failed to tell a coherent story primarily because of how the reality, universe and time jumping was executed.

At the time I was playing I got that they were trying to get across that revolutions are messy. But seeing how people feel about it, I guess that too was handled clumsily

The last FPS I played was Far Cry 4 which is barely a FPS to start with, but I do have a hankering to kill some Nazis. Tempting. They have been the absolute universal 100% safest generic foe to cast for the player to kill for 25+ years now, after all.
I'm honestly surprised we haven't had a bunch of "think pieces" about how Wolfenstein is "mean" to only furthers the divide.
Far Cry most certainly will, though. Ubi can't possibly have imagined how great/awful their timing on this is when they started development.
The fact that Far Cry 5 seems to be skirting the issue of race entirely makes it pretty toothless. It's not actually engaging with the cause of the issue.
It's create-a-character, so you can create a female Black cop to take out White religious weirdos. It's still going to ruffle plenty of feathers.

wwhxOVX.gif

While I'm looking forward to blasting Nazis, I'm more interested in the story for Wolfenstein 2 to be as incisive as the first one was. It depicted concentration camps, a forbidden lesbian relationship under Nazi rule, questioning Blazko's military loyalty and racism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2xrqRRZVE
"You're a patriot? Blue-eyed, jarhead motherfucking Nazi killing patriot that you are. You're still a puppet to the man. You're exactly the kind of guy they ordered in come lynching time. You don't get it, do you? Before all this, before the Germans, before the war. Back home, man, you were the Nazis!"
CSD3juRWsAAgpvB.jpg:large

This new one seems to be leaning into political matters more, like with the KKK, black power, which is good. The closer the depiction of Nazis to something believable and away from cartoonish villains, the better.

wolfenstein_2_the_new_colossus_bernie_sanders_by_digi_matrix-dbcewf5.png

wolfenstein_2_the_new_colossus_black_woman_by_digi_matrix-dbcetp0.png

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
I'm interested in the new Wolfenstein game but have never played the series before. Do you guys think I will have to play the last one or will I be able to jump right in to the new game? I know its not out yet so that might be hard to answer.

Pretty much. It attempts to say something about how power leads to violence and revolutionaries run the risk of becoming oppressors themselves, but the way it is handled doesn't communicate that properly at all. It's literally just black revolutionary woman is just as evil as white puritanical racist Christian man, pls kill both.

They ham-fistedly try to retcon it in the DLC by revealing (through a conversation you overhear while crawling through a vent, no less) that this hero of the slaves wasn't actually evil, but was just pretending to be evil in order to galvanise a character's resolve to defeat the true big bad.

I think the story as a whole was passed through the 'metaphysical wankery' filter a few too many times, and they didn't realise that it was twisting certain aspects of their narrative into something sinister.

kirblar

been a while since I played the game, but didn't the members of the Vox populi just of the deep end when they rebelled?

I thought one of the reasons they wanted to kill Booker was because he died in the alternate universe they entered or something I like that.

I am probably recalling details wrong.
The problem is that they primarily consist of people brought into the city and oppressed because of their skin color. The game tries to treat it like a communist revolution when it's much closer to a slave revolt.
They ham-fistedly try to retcon it in the DLC by revealing (through a conversation you overhear while crawling through a vent, no less) that this hero of the slaves wasn't actually evil, but was just pretending to be evil in order to galvanise a character's resolve to defeat the true big bad.

I think the story as a whole was passed through the 'metaphysical wankery' filter a few too many times, and they didn't realise that it was twisting certain aspects of their narrative into something sinister.
Yeah, the first section contains most of the white supremacy stuff, while the problem sections later on take you out of the Jim Crow south and put you into "The Jungle" era New York. It's a mess.

joe2187

Banned
In a game where you fight Nazis on the moon, the overall story in Wolfenstein was 100 times better than any other game made that year.

I'm interested in the new Wolfenstein game but have never played the series before. Do you guys think I will have to play the last one or will I be able to jump right in to the new game? I know its not out yet so that might be hard to answer.

The new one is a direct sequel to New Order so if you can try to pick that up and play it. It's a fantastic game so don't miss out and can usually be found rather cheap. Of course that's only if you are worried about the story. It should still be a blast to play, gameplay wise.

Toa TAK

Banned
You're seriously missing out by not getting the first.

jtb

Banned
ken levine finds ayn rand's bullshit "fascinating." BioShock sucks. Infinite sucks.

Arkane the true immersive sim gods

I still hate that term

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I can't wait for the new Wolfenstein.

That post about the character J makes Wyatt's storyline worth it, also considering J is actually (spoiler)
Jimi Hendrix

HBO's confederate will even it out

It's weird to see that videogames, that have been underestimated as an art form (or at least media), are tackling this kind of subject matter way better than TV.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I'm ready! Haven't played through a Wolfenstein game since I was a kid.

Any upcoming games with a singleplayer campaign along the lines of True Detective S1 would be awesome too, as far as fanaticism and and religious stuff goes.

Kinyou

It was hard for me to enjoy a game that made slavery freedom fighters into a regular enemy to pour led into.
Did Columbia have actual slaves? Fitzroy and her followers had more obvious similarities to communism and had the revolution escalate in a way that's not so different from what happened in some countries.

What I'd blame Bioshock for is that at that point it has completely forgotten about any of the race issues it brought up earlier. I'm not sure if even Fitzroy mentions it

joe2187

Banned
I'm ready! Haven't played through a Wolfenstein game since I was a kid.

Any upcoming games with a singleplayer campaign along the lines of True Detective S1 would be awesome too, as far as fanaticism and and religious stuff goes.

Seriously, Play the first one and the Add on/Expansion. It's fantastic and will make the experience for new colossus all the better.

tumblr_n5wpwb0Qxv1s82c3do1_1280.gif

Damn. I shouldn't have come in here. I got spoiled on some bits about the first wolfenstein. But yeah as soon as I saw the Klansmen in Amerika I knew I had to get this game. And I'm not a huge fan of far cry games, but the plot behind 5 definitely has me excited.

megalowho

Finally playing through The New Order now and loving it, getting more and more hyped for The New Colossus. Cathartic targets and timeliness aside, MachineGames' appraoch to FPS campaign design is so refreshing and the confident wierdness of the reveal trailer has me hoping they're about to take things to another level.

Like others, I'm less convinced Far Cry 5 is a game that's willing to ruffle feathers or even make statements as much as it's a new location for open world mayhem, but the core premise and imagery is still welcome in the big budget landscape.

Sheroking

ken levine finds ayn rand's bullshit "fascinating." BioShock sucks. Infinite sucks.

I still hate that term

Bioshock is pretty anti-Libertarian on the whole.

The game basically takes place in the apocalyptic waste of a failed Libertarian state, and pits you against the Randian shit-heel who pioneered it.

Stoop Man

The story was a goddamned mess. It was obvious they went through countless rewrites.

Nesotenso

The problem is that they primarily consist of people brought into the city and oppressed because of their skin color. The game tries to treat it like a communist revolution when it's much closer to a slave revolt.

Yeah, the first section contains most of the white supremacy stuff, while the problem sections later on take you out of the Jim Crow south and put you into "The Jungle" era New York. It's a mess.

again, I might be remembering things wrong but I thought the Irish were a part of the Vox Populi

CryptiK

Stabbing Nazi's has never been so satisfying.

Also can't wait to curb stomp some christian crazies in Far Cry 5.

megalowho

I still hate that term
Bioshock follows Libertarian thought to its logical end and presents a nightmare scenario. I get the criticism surrounding Infinite as to how they present both sides in that story, but not sure what the argument is against the first game just for examining objectivism.

[boots]

Huh. I barely remember the story, but enjoyed Infinite. Is this why a lot of GAF hates Infinite? never understood the hate the game got.

You barely remembered the story because it was mediocre. The gameplay imo was serviceable at best and as a minority I really appreciated slogging through both to have a privileged white girl basically tell me, "Don't bother fighting against the status quo minorities. You're just gonna fuck it up in the end."

(Kinda) On topic, I'm definitely getting Wolfenstein day one, but will wait on Far Cry for reviews. And yeah, you better believe I'll be using that hatchet on as many Klansmen as I can.

HotHamBoy

If only we had visionairies like Ken Levine to show us how actually, both sides are fault in this political climate.

I never checked out of a videogame faster than I did with Bioshock Infinite.

Get the fuck outta here with that both sides bullshit.

Is that really the ethos of Infinite? I only played shortly after the beginning where the slave auction/show is happening and thought this game has to go somewhere

The slaves rebel and you/your character lectures them on how they're just as bad as the slavers because they resorted to violence.

Pretty much. It attempts to say something about how power leads to violence and revolutionaries run the risk of becoming oppressors themselves, but the way it is handled doesn't communicate that properly at all. It's literally just black revolutionary woman is just as evil as white puritanical racist Christian man, pls kill both.

There's a point where
you go to an alternate universe where the rebel faction is significantly better equipped and the revolution is going on and the rebels have gone completely insane, straight up murdering everyone.

Huh. I barely remember the story, but enjoyed Infinite. Is this why a lot of GAF hates Infinite? never understood the hate the game got.

"Gaf" hates Infinite because criticism of a divisive game becomes much louder after the honeymoon period. To be sure, "Gaf" does not hate very many games. There's plenty of people who enjoy Infinite on here to this day. But any game with a lot of hype and anticipation is going to see a wave of pushback because it seemed like everyone said something was brilliant and people are disappointed when they feel like it isn't.

My spicy hot take on Infinite is this:

It presents all these ideas but makes no commentary. It has no opinion. It just puts this shit out there and says "look at this. Whaddaya think about this, hmm? Isn't this a thing??" Which makes it come off as wanting to be a lot smarter than it is. And it sure fucking loves itself for that "clever" ending.

As for the more objective elements worthy of criticism, the level design, system mechanics and combat scenarios are mediocre at best, obnoxious at worst. Everything is walked back from the previous two games. There's no nuance to battle (the same can be said of the writing) and the differences in your abilities are largely superficial in how they are used.

Gameplay and story clearly seem to have suffered terribly at the hand of a long and tortuous development where the final game we got went through an agonising process of attrition.

jtb

Banned
Bioshock is pretty anti-Libertarian on the whole.

The game basically takes place in the apocalyptic waste of a failed Libertarian state, and pits you against the Randian shit-heel who pioneered it.

I just found the whole conceit to be so dull. Asks boring questions and gives boring answers. Zzzzz

Bioshock follows Libertarian thought to its logical end and presents a nightmare scenario. I get the criticism surrounding Infinite as to how they present both sides in that story, but not sure what the argument is against the first game just for examining objectivism.

My point is more that it didn't need to be examined because it's boring

There's a wonderful GIF of Blascowicz killing a Nazi with a "So much for the tolerant left!" and I can't find it for the life of me..

CHC

Wolfenstein is going to be so cathartic. I can't wait.

What I love about Wolfenstein (New Order especially) is that the Nazis are actually characterized outside of just a military context. You hear about life under the regime constantly, and they are always talking. They make them all such perfect smug little fuckers that killing them is so much sweeter than if they were just a physical threat.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Well personally I want to play the new wolfenstein because of the fantastic blend of old school and modern shooting mechanics that bethesdas shooters have had recently and i loved far cry 3 and 4 so 5 is a must regardless of politics as well

Top Bottom