• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't deal with scares in VR and it's upsetting me

Izuna

Banned
And I'm not talking about horror games either (I know better than to try them), but it seems that it's very difficult to find a random VR game that doesn't have some sort of jump scare. For example, I was extremely unimpressed with the one at the beginning of Robo Recall -- and just now I tried out Belko VR and I had no idea it was built around it.

I hope that this trend in VR games isn't actually a trend and I have been unlucky, or at the very least developers will stop putting these things in games that aren't outright horror games.

I already have an issue with playing certain games in normal 2D (Alien: Isolation, RE7) as it is, but to be locked out of a larger portion of a library because of this makes me feel left out. I imagine this is what it's like to be to induced have motion sickness.

I'd appreciate it if developers refrain from cheap scares in VR in their non-horror games.

latest

Anyone else have this?

Izuna

Banned
So you want developers to potentially compromise their artistic vision to cater to your personal phobia?

Jump scares are extremely effective in VR where they otherwise wouldn't be (especially with the directional audio) and yes, there are a couple of people I currently share a flat with that never want to try VR because they are susceptible and had a bad experience.

Moreover, there should be some indication, disclaimer or what else.

The introduction to Edge of Nowhere was some BS and I can't turn play the rest of the game because of it.

Shin

Banned
Moreover, there should be some indication, disclaimer or what else.

On the package of a game or a warning when you boot up a game then sure I can agree with that.
But not right before a sequence in the game, kind of defeats the purpose and takes away the immersion.

glow

Banned
Isn't Belko a thriller/horror movie?

But yeah I agree I don't want jump scares literally in my face and ears. The idea of playing RE7 in VR does not appeal to me at all

Cartman86

Banned
From the talks i've seen on how to do VR right this is one those things you don't do. Among many others that some devs are happy to ignore.

VR games should absolutely have a warning at the beginning if they have jump scares in them. It's too potent in that medium.

Izuna

Banned
Isn't Belko a thriller/horror movie?

But yeah I agree I don't want jump scares literally in my face and ears. The idea of playing RE7 in VR does not appeal to me at all

It apparently is. Tucked away in its description, of course.

Point is, games with such jump scares should just be considered horror games or have some label that they include jump scares. Because they are so much more impactful in VR, it's not okay to have them in almost every other genre ;(

I have a sneaky suspicion that I might accidentally break a VR headset because of jump scares

I almost did. With Belko I couldn't understand why I wasn't able to move away from the sound or screen because I was so shocked and ripped the headset off. It's really fucked up.

And from what I can remember, it was loud af static coming out of a phone that did that to me.

Chris_C

I'm right there with you, OP, I detest the sense of actual dread and the jump scares in VR. I can watch horror movies for days, but VR is just too much. I also think it's an extremely cheap and easy use if the medium, like shooting galleries. We have the entire spectrum of emotion open and so many developers go straight for what they've been doing for ages.

I know some people will probably think that complaining about it is being silly, but if the VR experience is good enough jump scares are absolutely awful if you aren't ready for them. I definitely agree that if it's a game that isn't explicitly a horror game or something that there should be some sort of disclaimer that there will be possible jump scares.

That's not to say that there aren't people that can totally handle jump scares in VR no problem, but at least personally I really dislike them especially in the case of games where you aren't expecting them.

I find the problem with Jump scares within VR is that you can't actually react to them in any way. Meaning pretty much the only thing they are good for is to just scare you with no ability to react.

To give an example, with our Fight or Flight instincts, sure it might work for people whose instinct is to run, but for those whose instinct is to fight, they can't actually nail a punch at the creature which jumped at them in response unless they have trained their body to press a specific subset of buttons on their controller to activate a punch or in games where it's more motion controls ensure you don't drop the control device from the initial shocking.

Izuna

Banned
For those who don't know what Belko is (since I'm very fucking unimpressed), here's what the Steam page looks like:

tLHadx8.png

Granted, that last line is a red flag but none of those tags are indicators that it's going to fuck you up.

I find the problem with Jump scares within VR is that you can't actually react to them in any way.

With our Fight or Flight instincts, sure it might work for people whose instinct is to run, but for those whose instinct is to fight, they can't actually nail a punch at the creature which jumped at them in response unless they have trained their body to press a specific subset of buttons on their controller to activate a punch. Meaning pretty much the only thing they are good for is to just scare you with no ability to react.

well said

True Fire

So you want developers to potentially compromise their artistic vision to cater to your personal phobia?

I think it's more so that using jump scares is a cheap way to use VR. Like waggle motion controls. VR is capable of levels of immersion that go far beyond "what's behind you?" but game devs are too lazy to go that far.

Mathieran

Banned
Yeah I have the same problem. I can't do horror games at all. Even Arkham VR got me at moments.

There's plenty of games that don't have these moments so all we can do is avoid them.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah I have the same problem. I can't do horror games at all. Even Arkham VR got me at moments.

This has silly moments too? It's always recommended to me.

And yeah, I feel like starting up a google doc that people can edit so we know which games are safe.

They piss me off lol, not only in video games but in movies and TV as well. I honestly would love to try them but I can't stand the jump scares unfortunately.

SomTervo

Working on a VR horror game so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously though, any sort of scare in VR is fucking horrible. It takes ten times more work and fortitude to deal with than in a traditional game.

I can't deal with the simulation sickness VR gives me. Shit lasted for 2 days. I am no longer on the VR hype train.

A) off topic
B) what the heck did you play? My mum gets motion sickness from looking at a 30FPS game (any game) on a regular monitor and she was 100% fine playing the Vive. Something i never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

mclem

I think an elegant jump scare isn't too bad. There's quite a nice one in Rhombus of Ruin that left me basically going "Oh, well played", and I'm normally a scaredycat when it comes to them.

But, yeah, it can be all a bit... cheap. And that's not great. If you're going to do it, do it with style

Jumpscares are generally a miss for me. Usually I get a little anxious while anticipating it, and when it comes, the whole thing is usually just dissapointing. Every once in a while though....something lands and it's "sogood.gif." I share it and cherish it.

I remember being a completely let down with a RE7's scares up until the second boss. When that thing came through that window it completely redeemed the whole game for me. Which ultimately led me to playing the whole rest of the game in an alert state which is what jump scares should do.

Maxinas

I agree, jump scares are terrible ways to showcase horror, and it's the reason why i don't bother with horror games anymore. I want to be psychologically traumatized, not waiting for the next "boo" moment.

Izuna

Banned
I agree, jump scares are terrible ways to showcase horror, and it's the reason why i don't bother with horror games anymore. I want to be psychologically traumatized, not waiting for the next "boo" moment.

You're not agreeing for the same reason ;(

What makes people want to be traumatised?

Working on a VR horror game so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously though, any sort of scare in VR is fucking horrible. It takes ten times more work and fortitude to deal with than in a traditional game.

A) off topic
B) what the heck did you play? My mum gets motion sickness from looking at a 30FPS game (any game) on a regular monitor and she was 100% fine playing the Vive. Something i never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

I played the with the PSVR and I played resident evil. After about 30 mins my head started hurting and 10 mins later it felt like I was going to vomit. I've been playing games my whole life and I never had an issue like this. Maybe it was the low fps that ko'd me.

Maxinas

You're not agreeing for the same reason ;(

What makes people want to be traumatised?

Heh, i just want a modern horror game to leave a lasting impression. the first RE and silent hill 2 are the only two horror games that have done just that, the rest i can barely recall what happened and wouldn't bother with a second playthrough.

Edit: Forgot to mention the first dead space was great too.

Blam

I mean eh it's really you. The Robo Recall "jump scare" I could see it from 100 miles away.

I mean sure but even Lego Marvel Superheroes had a jumpscare.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, I bought Affected: The Manor on Gear VR and can't take it. I've seen friends play it without any problems, but I get extremely nervous and anxious as soon as I put the headset on. It doesn't help that my first try left me dizzy due to running straight into a wall, and the second one was a jump scare (we were taking turns at random, and I just got "lucky").

Nope, can't deal with them. So I agree with OP, this resource should only be used in horror games, or at least the game should have a warning at the very beginning and in the box/digital store page.

Izuna

Banned
I mean eh it's really you. The Robo Recall "jump scare" I could see it from 100 miles away.

I mean sure but even Lego Marvel Superheroes had a jumpscare.

Just because you can see it coming doesn't mean it's any less stupid. And at the very least, it's not just me as I've seen it affect other people.

Jump scares are the poorest way to invoke fear so less of them and more of real terror is always better. VR is a medium that must let people know beforehand there are things that can really make people jump. Disclaimers should be a thing for sure because of how ral your brain will think things are. You can harm yourself, others, or the actual machine itself. Tat being said, not everything is for everyone.

balohna

Why the hell not? Developers don't have perfect creative vision. I'd venture to say humans don't. Everyone makes bad decisions, and it's worth calling out.

I'm the same. I already wasn't too big on flat screen horror games, but I can't even handle baby stuff in VR. 360 experiences freak me the fuck out if it involves anything that can sneak up on you and it makes me paranoid as shit.

Spman2099

And I'm not talking about horror games either (I know better than to try them), but it seems that it's very difficult to find a random VR game that doesn't have some sort of jump scare. For example, I was extremely unimpressed with the one at the beginning of Robo Recall -- and just now I tried out Belko VR and I had no idea it was built around it.

I hope that this trend in VR games isn't actually a trend and I have been unlucky, or at the very least developers will stop putting these things in games that aren't outright horror games.

I already have an issue with playing certain games in normal 2D (Alien: Isolation, RE7) as it is, but to be locked out of a larger portion of a library because of this makes me feel left out. I imagine this is what it's like to be to induced have motion sickness.

I'd appreciate it if developers refrain from cheap scares in VR in their non-horror games.

latest

Anyone else have this?

Is that child okay?

ryseing

Batman even has them. I can't deal with regular horror so when that happened I nearly broke my damn headset.

Still haven't finished the game because of it. Can't believe Robo Recall has one.

Izuna

Banned
Batman even has them. I can't deal with regular horror so when that happened I nearly broke my damn headset.

Still haven't finished the game because of it. Can't believe Robo Recall has one.

Looks like I'm not paying Batman then...

mclem

I was fully expecting that due to the existence of a couple in the earlier Arkham titles. Still haven't played Arkham VR, though.

Top Bottom