• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 users are hardcore: “Large majority” played Resident Evil 8 in VR

CyberChulo

I'm on my second run through now. The ability to open both sides of your jacket and pull stuff out still amazes me! I foolishly purchases unlimited ammo for my handgun and now regret it as I've lost some of the excitement of trying to manage my ammo while taking out the enemies. I wish I could undo it without having to start again.

Crayon

I have PCVR, I own Alyx and have played it at very high settings. I also have PSVR2 with RE8 and GT7 and Alyx looks graphically better to me through my Quest 2 headset than GT7 and RE8 on PSVR2. Its a very very polished full fledged VR experience. It looks unbelievably good for a VR game and plays extremely well being built exclusively as a VR game. Alyx was my baseline for comparing PCVR to PSVR2. I personally don't feel the PSVR2 is a big step up. It has great features, nice OLED screen etc. But what good is that when you don't have games like Alyx, once you experience it, it's hard to be impressed by other VR games, it has set a bar of what a AAA VR game is.

See, that's what I mean. If Alyx is really so far above resident evil and Gran Turismo that they aren't comparable in quality or fun, I'm going to have to see that for myself before I take someone's word for it.

This person......unlike Eddie gets it. The bolded is so true.
I don't think anyone "doesn't get" the want for AAA VR titles.
The problem is, who'll be making AAA VR games for a 300k audience, past the launch title contracts with Sony.
Nobody.
You can have the most amazing hardware in the universe, but without a large enough userbase, there won't be any big budget games for it.
"If you don't have AAA VR games, just make AAA VR games" has that same "if you're homeless just buy home" energy.

Last edited:

scydrex

Doing my first vr playthrough right now. I finished like 5 or 6 times normal mode. The vr mode is awesome. Love the knife and throwing it. Sony have to make Alyx and Astrobot avaliable on psvr2.

Last edited:

Crayon

The problem is, who'll be making AAA VR games for a 300k audience, past the launch title contracts with Sony.
Nobody.
You can have the most amazing hardware in the universe, but without a large enough userbase, there won't be any big budget games for it.
"If you don't have AAA VR games, just make AAA VR games" has that same "if you're homeless just buy home" energy.

Everyone except eddie. He saw that the top sellers are indies and declared that's what we needed more of to get people into vr lol.

Banned
that's currently the only fully fledged AAA game on it, so not surprising to be tbh.

it also in general seems to be the only game worth getting it for.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nobody.

Sony!

And also Sony paying 3rd parties to make their AAA games hybrids.

Crayon

Sony!

Da, it's pretty much up to them and meta to pump money in until the software economy gets rolling. Either that or throw in the towel. Precarious rn but psvr2 is off to a strong start with re, gt, and horizon.

Romulus

Nobody.

Hitman 3, Borderlands 2, Astrobot, and Skyrim came to PSVR1 after launch and it had a very small user base too. Blood and Truth was arguably a AAA game with its productions as were about 10 more. Lots of AA games that were great like Saints and Sinners, Iron Man

On top of that, lot of devs wanted to work on PSVR1 but the PS4 was too underpowered they didn't like the controllers. Elite Dangerous is one example for sure, the devs claimed the CPU was far too underpowered for VR and involved a ton of work. That is no longer an issue.

For me, even if they never released another game, GT7 made the PSVR2 worth every penny. It's incredibly deep and pushes console racing magnitudes above anything else. It's already paid for itself and will continue to do so for years. No other console racer will come close to it without VR. TVs are way behind in terms of immersive tech and they always will be.

Btw, no way in hell does the next RE or GT game come without VR, so there's that too on top of everything else I mentioned. Lastly, the 300k number was never confirmed. The guess was made by IDC. They have been shown to be way off with other estimates. So, the entire opinion is based on a guess.

Last edited:

Markio128

Hitman 3, Borderlands 2, Astrobot, and Skyrim came to PSVR1 after launch and it had a very small user base too. Blood and Truth was arguably a AAA game with its productions as were about 10 more. Lots of AA games that were great like Saints and Sinners.

On top of that, lot of devs wanted to work on PSVR1 but the PS4 was too underpowered they didn't like the controllers. Elite Dangerous is one example for sure, the devs claimed the CPU was far too underpowered for VR and involved a ton of work. That is no longer an issue.

For me, even if they never released another game, GT7 was worth every penny. It's already paid for itself and will continue to do so for years. No other console racer will come close to it without VR. TVs are way behind in terms of immersive tech and they always will be.

Btw, no way in hell does the next RE or GT game come without VR, so there's that too on top of everything else I mentioned.
I reckon there’ll be quite a few upcoming racing games with a VR mode included, especially now GT7 has paved the way. In any case, I wouldn’t judge the releases after a couple of months - at least give it 12 months and then see where we’re at.

DaGwaphics

I mean, people with a VR headset play big budget game with a VR mode in VR, more at 11. 🤷‍♂️

OP were you expecting different?

Taddypole

Neo Member
So if Sony ties up their AAA studios making VR games for a niche peripheral, what happens to the library for the vast majority of owners?

Sometimes, there’s a reason things aren’t happening
They only need modes and they could allow a vr company to do the converting or hire a vr team

Crayon

I don't think people that don't have a wheel setup would be interested that much in GT7 in VR

Whoa nice try. I was hoping you just forgot it. What a heroic stretch t disqualify the game. How do you think it sells so much for decades to people who don't have wheels and what does it even have to do with VR?

Banned
Whoa nice try. I was hoping you just forgot it. What a heroic stretch t disqualify the game. How do you think it sells so much for decades to people who don't have wheels and what does it even have to do with VR?

you don't think it would feel weird to play a racing game in VR on a controller?
I bet many aren't even considering it due to that.

meanwhile RE8 is designed around the headset's pack-in controllers.

also racing games don't actually gain much in terms of gameplay when going vr. it's basically just an alternative camera perspective, functionally speaking.
a VR shooter however plays completely differently to a controller/mouse and keyboard shooter as your are directly interacting with the game world around you in a way that was impossible before.

Crayon

you don't think it would feel weird to play a racing game in VR on a controller?
I bet many aren't even considering it due to that.

meanwhile RE8 is designed around the headset's pack-in controllers.

also racing games don't actually gain much in terms of gameplay when going vr. it's basically just an alternative camera perspective, functionally speaking.
a VR shooter however plays completely differently to a controller/mouse and keyboard shooter as your are directly interacting with the game world around you in a way that was impossible before.

I don't play it with the wheel. I haven't used the wheel in years, actually.

If you think the game play isn't changed in vr, then why does that change to needing a wheel instead of a controller suddenly?

And go ahead and ask people who play sims. There's a reason they like VR for it. Mainly because a big part of the real life cockpit experience is having a neck.

Hitman 3, Borderlands 2, Astrobot, and Skyrim came to PSVR1 after launch and it had a very small user base too.
All of these besides Astrobot are a slap-job afterthought shite. When people say they want AAA VR, I very much doubt Hitman VR is their frame of reference.

Sony!

Do you honestly think we'll have new exclusive AAA releases lined up for PSVR2 in 2024?
Valve can afford to make games at a loss for decades and not think twice about it.
But Sony won't think twice about abandoning their new hardware if it doesn't turn immediate profit, and have a track record to prove it.

Justin9mm

See, that's what I mean. If Alyx is really so far above resident evil and Gran Turismo that they aren't comparable in quality or fun, I'm going to have to see that for myself before I take someone's word for it.
It's hard to explain, Alyx feels more immersive, it is imo the first real 'AAA' game that is 100% built around VR. So the way the controls work and the interaction with the environment, it's all very very fluid. Like in the game you are manually doing lots of things with your hands and the interaction in doing that feels very good. Like even upgrading your weapons and healing yourself, your pulling things here and there and opening buttons and putting your weapon in a cradle in a machine and using a touch screen on that machine to select option with your finger to upgrade your weapon etc. it's just designed well because it is all made solely for VR but the production quality of that is top tier, there is no clipping or that slight shake/vibration with your hands like other VR games, it just works 99.9% of the time. RE8 is good fun and still good quality but you can feel the VR is a secondary add on to the game, having already played the game in non VR beforehand. GT7 is also great fun but its a racing game so there is not much element of VR besides being in the drivers seat so its magic is your view of being in the car, there's not much else to it besides good fun racing. I'd love to see Alyx on PSVR2 but I experienced on my 3080 with ultra settings and don't think PS5 will be able to quite output the same graphical quality and performance, I'm sure they can optimise it well and should be very close. I'm sure Sony will be 100% negotiating a port.

Last edited:

Romulus

All of these besides Astrobot are a slap-job afterthought shite.

But your opinion/reviews of the game are irrelevant to it being AAA, which was your original point. Now you're forced to pivot to quality.

Mass Effect Andromeda was awful, but was still AAA.

AND, 90% of hate for those psvr1 games I listed was because of the awful psvr1 controllers or shit ps4 hardware too.

Neither are an issue now.

:)

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
It's hard to explain, Alyx feels more immersive, it is imo the first real 'AAA' game that is 100% built around VR. So the way the controls work and the interaction with the environment, it's all very very fluid. Like in the game you are manually doing lots of things with your hands and the interaction in doing that feels very good. Like even upgrading your weapons and healing yourself, your pulling things here and there and opening buttons and putting your weapon in a cradle in a machine and using a touch screen on that machine to select option with your finger to upgrade your weapon etc. it's just designed well because it is all made solely for VR but the production quality of that is top tier, there is no clipping or that slight shake/vibration with your hands like other VR games, it just works 99.9% of the time. RE8 is good fun and still good quality but you can feel the VR is a secondary add on to the game, having already played the game in non VR beforehand. GT7 is also great fun but its a racing game so there is not much element of VR besides being in the drivers seat so its magic is your view of being in the car, there's not much else to it besides good fun racing. I'd love to see Alyx on PSVR2 but I experienced on my 3080 with ultra settings and don't think PS5 will be able to quite output the same graphical quality and performance, I'm sure they can optimise it well and should be very close. I'm sure Sony will be 100% negotiating a port.
I mean, I get Alyx is more immersive in the sense everything is interactive, but RE8 is immersive as hell too, and I've seen some people who've played both not just hand it over to Alyx unanimously. The graphics in RE8 are better IMO, perhaps tied if you want to argue style is up to taste, but definitely more detailed. The texture work and object detail is better by far from what I've seen of Alyx. Just can't manipulate 99% of it in RE8, but it still looks amazing, and you can walk up to literally anything 1" from your face and it still looks detailed and modeled near-perfectly. I've yet to feel that in any game prior. But the non-interactivity is the rule of the game world. Doesn't mean it can't be immersive, you have to accept the game's rules with any game to get in to it. The immersion in RE8 comes from the enemy AI (which is more challenging than Alyx from what I've read by people who've played both, they say Alyx is more forgiving in combat and with less opponents), the detail of everything, and the horror elements in VR, which transcend the flat version.

But your opinion/reviews of the game are irrelevant to it being AAA, which was your original point. Now you're forced to pivot to quality.
You're the one pivoting from system-selling AAA VR games to Hybrid AAA games. If you're content with those, be my guest, I'm sure that well won't run dry as quickly as proper AAA VR one.
The original point I was replying to was about AAA killer apps.
The fuck outta here with "technically AAA" Andromeda ass-pulls.
Says a lot about PSVR2's future if these are the straws being grasped by the fans not 2 months after its release, isn't it.
AND, 90% of hate for those psvr1 games I listed was because of the awful psvr1 controllers or shit ps4 hardware too.
Hitman VR and Skyrim VR are dogshit no matter if you play them on Vive 2 or a cardboard. They fundamentally fail as VR games.
Neither are an issue now.
The issue was, is, and always will be, the size of the userbase.
Can't see forest for the trees, can you.

The more the better! I dream of a future where any game has its VR mode. After all, it can be used with first person, third person, cockpit games, RTSs, etc.
Imagine a next-gen StarCraft on a new custom engine where you are over looking the map in VR and able to interact with buildings and tell units where to go. I feel like if done right VR can breath new life into the RTS genre.

Last edited:

Crayon

You're the one pivoting from system-selling AAA VR games to Hybrid AAA games. If you're content with those, be my guest, I'm sure that well won't run dry as quickly as proper AAA VR one.
The fuck outta here with "technically AAA" Andromeda ass-pulls.
Says a lot about PSVR2's future if these are the straws being grasped by the fans not 2 months after its release, isn't it.

Hitman VR and Skyrim VR are dogshit no matter if you play them on Vive 2 or a cardboard. They fundamentally fail as VR games.

The issue was, is, and always will be, the size of the userbase.
Can't see forest for the trees, can you.

If you aren't going to count one side of a hybrid game it should be the inferior flat one.

Justin9mm

I mean, I get Alyx is more immersive in the sense everything is interactive, but RE8 is immersive as hell too, and I've seen some people who've played both not just hand it over to Alyx unanimously. The graphics in RE8 are better IMO, perhaps tied if you want to argue style is up to taste, but definitely more detailed. The texture work and object detail is better by far from what I've seen of Alyx. Just can't manipulate 99% of it in RE8, but it still looks amazing, and you can walk up to literally anything 1" from your face and it still looks detailed and modeled near-perfectly. I've yet to feel that in any game prior. But the non-interactivity is the rule of the game world. Doesn't mean it can't be immersive, you have to accept the game's rules with any game to get in to it. The immersion in RE8 comes from the enemy AI (which is more challenging than Alyx from what I've read by people who've played both, they say Alyx is more forgiving in combat and with less opponents), the detail of everything, and the horror elements in VR, which transcend the flat version.
Regarding graphics of RE8, imo it looks graphically worse, I wasn't impressed with that side of it at all, the aliasing is terrible, you can see jagged edgies in lots of places and all over assets. Alyx is a lot cleaner in that respect. People saying its better are probably having placebo effect of the PSVR2 headset or they played Alyx on lower spec quality PC rendering lower settings. I'm only comparing Alyx almost maxed out on my PC to RE8. Obviously different headsets and different PC's are going to yield different results. RE8 has more action, a lot of story action, bigger set pieces because it was built as a standard video game. Alyx is just better from a VR technical standpoint which to me makes it better because its giving you a more capable VR experience. It's all subjective. But don't get overhyped about Alyx, you won't eventually play it and think its the best thing you've ever seen or played, it just delivers a more satisfying VR experience as far as functionality.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Regarding graphics of RE8, imo it looks graphically worse, I wasn't impressed with that side of it at all, the aliasing is terrible, you can see jagged edgies in lots of places and all over assets. Alyx is a lot cleaner in that respect. People saying its better are probably having placebo effect of the PSVR2 headset or they played Alyx on lower spec quality PC rendering lower settings. I'm only comparing Alyx almost maxed out on my PC to RE8. Obviously different headsets and different PC's are going to yield different results. RE8 has more action, a lot of story action, bigger set pieces because it was built as a standard video game. Alyx is just better from a VR technical standpoint which to me makes it better because its giving you a more capable VR experience. It's all subjective. But don't get overhyped about Alyx, you won't eventually play it and think its the best thing you've ever seen or played, it just delivers a more satisfying VR experience as far as functionality.

When I say RE8 looks better to me, I am not talking about the resolution it is running at, and what type of AA it is using, I'm talking about the visual detail of the game world. The way every square inch of the castle is textured and detailed to the last little speck of dirt - it truly feels like the saying from JP - "We spared no expense." There's definitely something to be said for a pristine, totally flawless image quality - no a single visible pixel, everything super high res, and that cleaner more industrial look of HL plays in to that higher visual quality very nicely, but I'm more partial to the 'realistic' dirty look of RE8, and judging the detail of the world itself, I am not knocking it that much for the resolution, as you can still approach the object to be inches from your face and every last detail is rendered super clear. It really just feels like stuff that would simply be a texture is now 3D modeled with 50,000 polygons in RE8. Like the ornate framing on the doors etc - one of the earlier locked gates had hundreds of 3D modeled women twisting upwards creating a look that just blends right away seamlessly in to the world, but approaching them close and you can make every little detail out in 3D, the faces/arms/etc, hundreds of them. The whole game is super-consistent with every non-important object that you'd just pass right by in a second in the flat version having so much 3D detail up close it's crazy.

Justin9mm

When I say RE8 looks better to me, I am not talking about the resolution it is running at, and what type of AA it is using, I'm talking about the visual detail of the game world. The way every square inch of the castle is textured and detailed to the last little speck of dirt - it truly feels like the saying from JP - "We spared no expense." There's definitely something to be said for a pristine, totally flawless image quality - no a single visible pixel, everything super high res, and that cleaner more industrial look of HL plays in to that higher visual quality very nicely, but I'm more partial to the 'realistic' dirty look of RE8, and judging the detail of the world itself, I am not knocking it that much for the resolution, as you can still approach the object to be inches from your face and every last detail is rendered super clear. It really just feels like stuff that would simply be a texture is now 3D modeled with 50,000 polygons in RE8. Like the ornate framing on the doors etc - one of the earlier locked gates had hundreds of 3D modeled women twisting upwards creating a look that just blends right away seamlessly in to the world, but approaching them close and you can make every little detail out in 3D, the faces/arms/etc, hundreds of them. The whole game is super-consistent with every non-important object that you'd just pass right by in a second in the flat version having so much 3D detail up close it's crazy.
So I guess you would prefer a AAA game developed for flat screen gaming with a VR option rather than a game made for VR exclusively, because there is no way you would get that detailed fidelity and presentation in an exclusive VR game. VR space at the moment considering it's still technically a niche market will not pour that much money and resources into development of an exclusive VR game. And this is part of the problem for VR at the moment. If you are looking at that aspect than yes RE8 is hands down better. But Alyx delivers on the execution of how it plays in VR. Judging from what you said, you will not find Alyx better if visual detail and presentation supersedes functional gameplay and its execution.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I guess you would prefer a AAA game developed for flat screen gaming with a VR option rather than a game made for VR exclusively, because there is no way you would get that detailed fidelity and presentation in an exclusive VR game. VR space at the moment considering it's still technically a niche market will not pour that much money and resources into development of an exclusive VR game. And this is part of the problem for VR at the moment. If you are looking at that aspect than yes RE8 is hands down better. But Alyx delivers on the execution of how it plays in VR. Judging from what you said, you will not find Alyx better if visual detail and presentation supersedes functional gameplay and its execution.
Yes, I think that sounds pretty accurate. I am sure I will find Alyx to be a better VR game, in the sense it is actually using VR and isn't just you being dropped into the world of a AAA game. Alyx will also have better systems in its world - the physics in RE8 are very limited, while in Alyx they will be integral, and the puzzles in Alyx will be a lot more clever than the basic ones found in RE8, and the combat will also be more playful as well. So I definitely understand the draw, and fully expect to enjoy it (I'll 100% be buying it when I get a PC VR set or if it gets ported before that). It's just at the end of the day, like you said, I'm more of a give me VR versions of AAA games than necessarily needing exclusive VR titles unavailable flat and games that let you interact as if it were the real world - I'm perfectly ok just enjoying limited access like RE8 in VR.

RE4 Remake (assuming it's the full game) will absolutely get me to purchase it on PS5, and I'm not sure it'll surpass the detail in Village, but it'll still be far above the visual detail of your normal or even higher budget VR exclusive game.

Crayon

So I guess you would prefer a AAA game developed for flat screen gaming with a VR option rather than a game made for VR exclusively, because there is no way you would get

I guess I'll take whichever game is better if I can't have both.

After alyx, what do you think is the next best VR game?

hlm666

People really think Alyx isn't as detailed as re8? Something like a g2 and it's a cleaner/clearer image that re8, using newer devices with better optics takes it to another level.

Justin9mm

People really think Alyx isn't as detailed as re8? Something like a g2 and it's a cleaner/clearer image that re8, using newer devices with better optics takes it to another level.

Alyx really is high level detail. I think some people just resonate with RE8 and the story driven action set pieces. I personally think Alyx is better but I guess it's all subjective. PCVR is where it's at!

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I guess I'll take whichever game is better if I can't have both.

After alyx, what do you think is the next best VR game?
To be honest I'm not sure, I'm about to try the Saints and Sinners games on the weekend so I'm hoping them to be great experiences as I keep getting told. Otherwise RE8 is still pretty entertaining. We really need more built from the ground up AAA games like Alyx.

Last edited:

Romulus

You're the one pivoting from system-selling AAA VR games to Hybrid AAA games.

The thread is literally about a hybrid AAA VR game and that's mostly all my examples.

But you never said that with your first response, you went on to debate my point by trying to downplay them as AAA games entirely. Now it's about killer app AAA games only.

Ok.

I'm surprised over how well I'm handling playing this game in VR. It's like therapy or something; at first it was too much but now I'm really enjoying the thrills. Unforgettable experience!

(I'm playing on casual though... 😌 Not looking for a huge challenge or anything, it's stressful enough as it is)

nowhat

IMHO Sony is missing a big opportunity here. The hardware is amazing, but where is the new AstroBot, which was VR game of the year? Where is Uncharted playable in VR, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, Returnal, Last of Us and Spiderman?
I'd add - where the fuck is Wipeout Omega Collection? It's first-party and already had a VR mode on OG PSVR. Such an obvious title.

Admerer

IMHO Sony is missing a big opportunity here. The hardware is amazing, but where is the new AstroBot, which was VR game of the year? Where is Uncharted playable in VR, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, Returnal, Last of Us and Spiderman? Just make the games playable in VR as they are, as Sony did for GT7.
No need to fancy VR controls, and interaction waving your arms around and punching walls and TVs, just make us feel immersed in those amazing worlds and Sony would sell headsets like pancakes :) (very expensive pancakes..)
Motion sickness.

So if Sony ties up their AAA studios making VR games for a niche peripheral, what happens to the library for the vast majority of owners?

Sometimes, there’s a reason things aren’t happening
Probably there is.
But if RE and GT are anything to go by, those are the games VR needs, hybrids (of good selling games) and not some exclusive shit almost no one cares for like a Horizon spin off or a good game that is stuck in VR like Astrobot Rescue which easily could have been a flat game as well (just link controller motion to leaning the camera view or whatever) and it would have sold more and made the development more financially sound. VR needs no exlusives that bind AAA studios but just be right from the get go in the design ideas which after years of existence should be a no brainer for at least any Sony studio. But alas, VR2 makes the same errors as VR1, separating itself from their own succesful base platform. Instead of being just the best display option, it tries to be its own thing which is in almost all VR games just stupid. I think Eagly Flight was the only VR game that I can't imagine playing with a controller unless offering an entire different difficulty or much slower.

ABnormal

Imagine a next-gen StarCraft on a new custom engine where you are over looking the map in VR and able to interact with buildings and tell units where to go. I feel like if done right VR can breath new life into the RTS genre.
Exactly! Any kind of use can be imagined. And in addition to the wonderful diorama view, even interacting directly with hands would be precise and intuitive.

Really, if only VR market would be already widespread, the concept to have mandatory VR modes for any game would be far more easy and common.

Anyway it has to start from something so let's enjoy what it's already here. Since there were some rumors about Sony's intention to push for hybrid games, I hope they will include a VR mode at least in some big exclusive first party games (they have to develop a proper tech for their engines to do so, but it's possible).

Kupfer

I like RE Village and played through it a few times (non-VR) until I unlocked everything. I was looking forward to the VR version, I wanted to experience the world in VR again with my earned gear and shoot through it mindlessly. But then, the game shows me a message that the progress is not taken over (why the fuck not) after the installation of the update, I was already quite annoyed, but wanted to give it a try. When you were out of the intro and could move freely, it lost me completely, because the VR implementation is not good IMO. No collision of hands with surfaces and no physically correct moving objects in the game world. You can't sweep a plate off the table with a wave of your arm, you can't even pick it up and/or interact with anything not relevant to the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
I like RE Village and played through it a few times (non-VR) until I unlocked everything. I was looking forward to the VR version, I wanted to experience the world in VR again with my earned gear and shoot through it mindlessly. But then, the game shows me a message that the progress is not taken over (why the fuck not) after the installation of the update, I was already quite annoyed, but wanted to give it a try. When you were out of the intro and could move freely, it lost me completely, because the VR implementation is not good IMO. No collision of hands with surfaces and no physically correct moving objects in the game world. You can't sweep a plate off the table with a wave of your arm, you can't even pick it up and/or interact with anything not relevant to the game.
Yeah, it's just the rules of the game. Like in Alyx you can't walk through the walls or fly or shoot nails from your hands, in RE8 you can't move things that aren't meant to be interacted with. You can still break most of the plates and cups with your knife if you want though, but I can simply accept the game rules and enjoy being in the space without the need to pick every object up and have it all working with real physics. You're getting the exact same thing in VR, the same incredible sense of vertical space, scale and amazing gunplay, but you just can't pickup the dishes etc. To me that's not RE, RE is moving through rooms, getting items, and shooting enemies. And doing all that in VR is way better. I'm willing to forgo picking up dishes if it means I get the game in VR.

So basically Townsmen but set in space!

Olimbox

Neo Member
Probably there is.
But if RE and GT are anything to go by, those are the games VR needs, hybrids (of good selling games) and not some exclusive shit almost no one cares for like a Horizon spin off or a good game that is stuck in VR like Astrobot Rescue which easily could have been a flat game as well (just link controller motion to leaning the camera view or whatever) and it would have sold more and made the development more financially sound. VR needs no exlusives that bind AAA studios but just be right from the get go in the design ideas which after years of existence should be a no brainer for at least any Sony studio. But alas, VR2 makes the same errors as VR1, separating itself from their own succesful base platform. Instead of being just the best display option, it tries to be its own thing which is in almost all VR games just stupid. I think Eagly Flight was the only VR game that I can't imagine playing with a controller unless offering an entire different difficulty or much slower.
I completely agree. and about limiting the AAA studios, I don't think that making a VR version of an already existing game will require months or years of devs time. By any means I am not saying that is an easy task, quite the opposite. but in the PC mod community single developers are converting most of the best AAA games in VR very succesfully. I played about 130 hours of Elden Ring in VR with a mod made by a single dev. and now I'm on RE 4r
Maybe I am wrong, but I think naught dog could make uncharted and last if us VR relatevely quickly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do you honestly think we'll have new exclusive AAA releases lined up for PSVR2 in 2024?
Valve can afford to make games at a loss for decades and not think twice about it.
But Sony won't think twice about abandoning their new hardware if it doesn't turn immediate profit, and have a track record to prove it.

Yes I do. Otherwise why make the headset in the first place? And if they aren't exclusive to PSVR2, then I still won't care because that means my PCVR brothers and sisters will have something to play too. But yes, there's too much money to be made in VR for no one to take up those spots.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, if Sony is done supporting the headset and has nothing more to announce for the rest of the time they are selling it, why even bother making it haha. For sure there's more to come. Plus, I want a PS VR3 down the road that is as big an improvement or even more as the VR2 was to the VR1!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ironically as a Resident Evil fan and an owner of PSVR2 I haven't played it in VR.

8 was one of my least favorites, only above Resident evil 3 remake and 6.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PSVR Resident Evil 7 felt normal, the controls were taken care of, the gun play was better than any Wii shooter and people bought into it.

Top Bottom