• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware GM: Anthem will be Science Fantasy instead of Science Fiction

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, Destiny?

No idea what you mean.

i8Elyfx.jpg

Briarios

The "magic" is explained using science. So it's not magic.

Unless anything that's not totally realistic is magic, in which case almost all sci-fi is fantasy.

This thread is really triggering me right now, lmao.

Everything was explained though... to its detriment really towards the end there.

Most sci-fi IS fantasy ... people just don't know the difference. Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke are sci-fi -- an awful lot of the rest is fantasy with spaceships, which is fine ... I like Star Wars a lot, but Mass Effect -- regardless of what was intended -- became science fantasy.

It's not gatekeeping it's just a definition. Science Fantasy rocks. Babylon 5 is the bestest, and it is as described by the creator - Lord of the Rings in Space.
Eh, I see science fantasy as stuff like Tides of Numenera, Book of the New Sun, and far future works in general. Mass Effect would be primarily science fiction. It's a far cry from the typical works categorized as science fantasy

Biotic abilities alone made every Mass Effect game, even the first one, more Science Fantasy than Science Fiction. "Mass Effect fields" themselves are arguably much more fantasy than science.

duckroll

Eh, I see science fantasy as stuff like Tides of Numenera, Book of the New Sun, and far future works in general. Mass Fiction would be primarily science fiction. It's a far cry from the typical works categorized as science fantasy

You're thinking too hard. It's just being used as a buzzword by marketing these days to describe "more Star Wars, less Star Trek, hey look DESTINY!"

duckroll

quick thought. what if, just what if...it's better than mass effect? Ever thought about that?

What goes on in the head of a Mass Effect zealot:

>If the game is awesome
WHY DIDN'T THEY CALL IT MASS EFFECT INSTEAD? IDIOTS!

>If the game is bad
WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE MORE MASS EFFECT INSTEAD? IDIOTS!

>If the game is Mass Effect
WHY ISN'T THIS AS GOOD AS THE LAST MASS EFFECT GAME I PLAYED? IDIOTS!

:)

DataGhost

Don't know enough about the world to make much of a judgement whether it works well or not. I don't mind science fantasy, but I do like the somewhat rational science fiction.

Lol.

Classic Marketing. Look lets use buzzwords that compare our product to things that are beloved by many (Star Wars, Destiny ect) and not a nice product that is coming off two disapointing films (Star Trek).

Insert I'm shocked .GIF

Is this a joke?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Oh man if this becomes something akin to Horizon+Monster Hunter+Iron Man that is awesome.

cakely

Ok, sure.

Me, personally I read quite a bit of actual science fiction, and there are very few games that actually fit in that genre. Most are just fantasy games with a sci-fi veneer.

The Swapper was one sci-fi game I really liked. EVE online and Kerbal also come to mind.

KillLaCam

Banned
The OG Mass Effect game's tried to explain things, maybe thats another reason I didn't like Andromeda. I came in expecting some type of scifi instead of magic.

Anthem sounds cool though. Space magic and stuff is fun

Laiza

EVE online and Kerbal also come to mind.
EVE Online has me torn.

Such a cool setting and universe with tons of lore... but hardly any of it is integrated into the game proper, and you have to go diving into the fiction wiki (or the various printed supplements) to really get any of it. Of course, some of this is unavoidable in a game where you spend the grand majority of your time spaceborne, but I really do lament the lost opportunities when they dropped the walking-in-stations aspect almost entirely.

I wonder if they'll ever get back around to it.

DNAbro

>If the game is awesome

>If the game is bad

I don't want any possible new favorite things. I just want my old favorite things again.

Most sci-fi IS fantasy ... people just don't know the difference. Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke are sci-fi -- an awful lot of the rest is fantasy with spaceships, which is fine ... I like Star Wars a lot, but Mass Effect -- regardless of what was intended -- became science fantasy.

Youre being too nit picky. This is why the term hard sci-fi exists. The majority of sci-fi exists inbetween hard sci-fi and science fantasy, not as one or the other.

DNAbro

Is this a thing destiny fans are doing because they thought they were getting something closer to anthem than what they actually got?

We knew about this game as a "Destiny killer/Destiny like" before we knew it's official name. The comparisons are obvious and will continue.

MCD250

>If the game is awesome

>If the game is bad

Man, if this ain't true...

theWB27

We knew about this game as a "Destiny killer/Destiny like" before we knew it's official name. The comparisons are obvious and will continue.

Those aren't comparisons. Yall are acting like somebody stole something that bungie didn't make up.

Yes, at the very least they attempted to be sci-fi.

Mass Effect 1 - Codex is just one example

Yeah, ME went through a lot of trouble explaining how the FTL travel worked, why the relays were necessary, how biotic powers worked, and it's all part of the narrative.

Fittingly, people hit with bullets or biotics in cutscenes are critically injured unless they are wearing actual armor or shields.

Halo is more hard sci fi in the novels, they handwave a bunch of stuff in the games to get you to the next checkpoint.

Effect

Wait, Mass Effect was supposed to be grounded sci-fi?

I must've played them wrong, because they seem in keeping with stuff like SW or Halo.

I would say the first Mass Effect is Sci-Fi. Not the heaviest of sci-fi but still solidly in the genre I think. That argument gets a lot harder with the others. I would agree that Andromeda is Sci-Fantasy pushing more on the fantasy. This is likely why ME1 still my favorite.

Top Bottom