• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #390 Reviews (Starfield, Cocoon, Phantom Liberty, Mortal Kombat)

PaintTinJr

I put in about 20+ hours and was bored to tears. Really seemed more of the same and just not engaging at all. Very surprised about all of the 10/10's
I love Super Monkeyball 1 and 2, and really love the Monkey target multiplayer. In TotK being able to make flying machines and fly with a proper monkeyball physics engine probably accounted for 150hrs of my play time. I spent 100hrs on a horse in BotW, and only spent about an hour in TotK.

It doesn't make sense devils may cry was a mario 64 moment for 3d action games. Same goes for gran turismo when it comes to sim racers on console. Ninja Gaiden black perfected the genre but oh well I already know they don't align with my tastes
This is an endless, ages old, tug of war between innovation and refinement. Do we award Devil May Cry for being the first or award a game like Bayonetta for refining the formula? Do we award Mario Kart SNES for being the first or award Mario Kart 8 for refining the formula? Etc.

This is why I understand their picks, because they're not just basing all of them solely from 'what are all of the most innovative?' That would be a boring list anyway, because it would be filled to the brim with the usual suspects from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

RAIDEN1

The summary for Mortal Kombat ..."heading into its fourth decade" makes it sound as if the game has been around since 1982-1983, much less 1992...

zeldaring

Banned
This is an endless, ages old, tug of war between innovation and refinement. Do we award Devil May Cry for being the first or award a game like Bayonetta for refining the formula? Do we award Mario Kart SNES for being the first or award Mario Kart 8 for refining the formula? Etc.

This is why I understand their picks, because they're not just basing all of them solely from 'what are all of the most innovative?' That would be a boring list anyway, because it would be filled to the brim with the usual suspects from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.
DMC was a phenomenal game for its time and invented the stylish action game genre, it deserves to be on the list. Bayonetta is not even better then ninja gaiden black now that was the game that refined the formula. still shocked gran turismo is not on the list, it was like the best selling game on playstation 1 and highest rated games of all time. both games were mario 64 stye mind blowing moments.

Last edited:

Aion002

The Starfield and Lies of P reviews are exactly my opinion on both games... I think this is the first time that I completely agree with a review.

Eliciel

I fully agree with Starfield
A lot of fundamental work needed for Starfield and Bethesda to create a > 8/10 experience. As it stands today it isn't better than 6.

King Dazzar

I'm not so much puzzled at Starfield getting a 6, but how Redfail previously managed to reach a 6 too.
Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The reviews seem completely worthless against their purpose IMO.

There's nothing helpful about a tough 6/10 review from Edge that they deem to be unambitious after the game is already destined to leave the UK boxed sales chart it was supposed to inform UK buyers.

It is just captain hindsight reviewing, which if reviewing their reviews is like a 1/10. Compared to a review swept up in the hype and giving it too high a praise, the launch window review at least has text that might help inform the buyer against their own criteria.

No, it's a magazine that publishes monthly.

X-Wing

The reviews seem completely worthless against their purpose IMO.

There's nothing helpful about a tough 6/10 review from Edge that they deem to be unambitious after the game is already destined to leave the UK boxed sales chart it was supposed to inform UK buyers.

It is just captain hindsight reviewing, which if reviewing their reviews is like a 1/10. Compared to a review swept up in the hype and giving it too high a praise, the launch window review at least has text that might help inform the buyer against their own criteria.

That's on the publishers. The delay is a consequence of Edge being a paper magazine and not a website.
Nintendo knows this for instance and they provided Super Mario Odyssey a lot earlier to Edge so they could have the review on the magazine before the release of the game.
Edge ended up being the first outlet to review the game.

Last edited:

donkey_oaty

Together with votes from readers and the in-house Edge editorial team, we polled a variety of videogame industry representatives, alongside regular contributors to the magazine and former Edge staff.

Here's "The 100 Greatest Games of Edge's Lifetime":

100. Kentucky Route Zero
99. Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgames
98. Starcraft
97. God of War (2018)
96. Persona 5
95. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
94. The Sims
93. Yakuza 0
92. Fez
91. Team Fortress 2
90. Papers, Please
89. System Shock
88. Fallout 3
87. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
86. Half-Life: Alyx
85. Thief: The Dark Project
84. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
83. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
82. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
81. Super Mario Galaxy 2
80. Street Fighter IV
79. Tomb Raider
78. Fortnite
77. Bayonetta
76. Immortality
75. Katamari Damacy
74. Demon's Souls
73. The Last Guardian
72. Mario Kart 64
71. Resident Evil
70. The Last of Us Part II
69. Silent Hill 2
68. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
67. Chrono Trigger
66. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
65. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
64. Halo 3
63. Shenmue
62. X-Com: UFO Defense
61. Red Dead Redemption
60. Xcom: Enemy Unknown
59. Advance Wars
58. The Witness
57. Hitman (2016)
56. Rez
55. Castlevania: Symphony of The Night
54. Mario Kart 8
53. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
52. Inside
51. Ico
50. Grand Theft Auto V
49. Quake
48. Mass Effect 2
47. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
46. Pokémon Red/Blue
45. Into the Breach
44. Civilization II
43. What Remains of Edith Finch
42. Hollow Knight
41. Super Mario Odyssey
40. Dishonored 2
39. Street Fighter II Turbo
38. Return of The Obra Dinn
37. Hades
36. Slay the Spire
35. Metroid Prime
34. Spelunky
33. Journey
32. Disco Elyisium
31. World of Warcraft
30. Half-Life
29. Tetris Effect
28. Red Dead Redemption 2
27. Super Metroid
26. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
25. Metal Gear Solid
24. Goldeneye 007
23. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
22. Portal 2
21. Bioshock
20. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
19. Outer Wilds
18. Grand Theft Auto III
17. Shadow of the Colossus
16. Deus Ex
15. The Last of Us
14. Final Fantasy VII
13. Minecraft
12. Bloodborne
11. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Doom
9. Elden Ring
8. Portal
7. Half-Life 2
6. Halo: Combat Evolved
5. Resident Evil 4
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Super Mario 64
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nice list. I'd drop golden eye and the last of us and add crash Bandicoot and mgs2

Except those games wouldn't exist without Ninja Gaiden
As I've stated towards zeldaring, these are my feelings towards this:

Tomeru

giphy.gif

GAF isn't ready to hear this about Elden Ring yet. Give them more time.

He isnot wrong about caves and catacombs. I also don't think anyone disagrees, and its an accepted negative of the game. But to use this as a dig shows his level of understanding.

That, or he is just bad, so bad, at explaining himself. Could be both too (usually is).

He is not wrong about caves and catacombs. I also don't think anyone disagrees, and its an accepted negative of the game. But to use this as a dig shows his level of understanding.

That, or he is just bad, so bad, at explaining himself. Could be both too (usually is).
I consider it to be the latter because theoretically there could be a decent case that can be made, but him setting his sights on Elden Ring as a comparison is going to ruffle some feathers.

Catphish

Together with votes from readers and the in-house Edge editorial team, we polled a variety of videogame industry representatives, alongside regular contributors to the magazine and former Edge staff.

Here's "The 100 Greatest Games of Edge's Lifetime":

100. Kentucky Route Zero
99. Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgames
98. Starcraft
97. God of War (2018)
96. Persona 5
95. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
94. The Sims
93. Yakuza 0
92. Fez
91. Team Fortress 2
90. Papers, Please
89. System Shock
88. Fallout 3
87. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
86. Half-Life: Alyx
85. Thief: The Dark Project
84. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
83. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
82. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
81. Super Mario Galaxy 2
80. Street Fighter IV
79. Tomb Raider
78. Fortnite
77. Bayonetta
76. Immortality
75. Katamari Damacy
74. Demon's Souls
73. The Last Guardian
72. Mario Kart 64
71. Resident Evil
70. The Last of Us Part II
69. Silent Hill 2
68. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
67. Chrono Trigger
66. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
65. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
64. Halo 3
63. Shenmue
62. X-Com: UFO Defense
61. Red Dead Redemption
60. Xcom: Enemy Unknown
59. Advance Wars
58. The Witness
57. Hitman (2016)
56. Rez
55. Castlevania: Symphony of The Night
54. Mario Kart 8
53. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
52. Inside
51. Ico
50. Grand Theft Auto V
49. Quake
48. Mass Effect 2
47. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
46. Pokémon Red/Blue
45. Into the Breach
44. Civilization II
43. What Remains of Edith Finch
42. Hollow Knight
41. Super Mario Odyssey
40. Dishonored 2
39. Street Fighter II Turbo
38. Return of The Obra Dinn
37. Hades
36. Slay the Spire
35. Metroid Prime
34. Spelunky
33. Journey
32. Disco Elyisium
31. World of Warcraft
30. Half-Life
29. Tetris Effect
28. Red Dead Redemption 2
27. Super Metroid
26. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
25. Metal Gear Solid
24. Goldeneye 007
23. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
22. Portal 2
21. Bioshock
20. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
19. Outer Wilds
18. Grand Theft Auto III
17. Shadow of the Colossus
16. Deus Ex
15. The Last of Us
14. Final Fantasy VII
13. Minecraft
12. Bloodborne
11. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Doom
9. Elden Ring
8. Portal
7. Half-Life 2
6. Halo: Combat Evolved
5. Resident Evil 4
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Super Mario 64
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Elden Ring at #9 all time!?

Get bent.

Justin9mm

Given Edge track history on scores, I'd say a 6 for Starfield was fair for them.

It has not met a lot of expectations IMO. That doesn't make it a bad game for sure but it's not quite a 'Steller' one either.

zeldaring

Banned
As I've stated towards zeldaring, these are my feelings towards this:
bayonetta didn't refine shit lol many people think ninja gaiden black is better not to mention it ran at locked 60fps and was a graphical stunner while Bayonetta looks like a dreamcast game running 45-60fps. bayonetta was not a evolution from ninja gaiden black.

Last edited:
I haven’t finished it yet, but a 7 for Lies of P seems kind of low. That’s still good, but the game appears to be of higher than that especially for the studio’s first game to my knowledge.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This is basically looking at caves and catacombs in Elden Ring and call it unambitious cause they look similar.

Yeah, except ER doesnt have just caves and catacombs, it genuinely has some incredibly crafted major locations, while Starfield is 70% copy-pasted. There is absolutely nothing in Starfield that can even touch Dark Souls's level design and that game came out 12 years ago. Man the Starfield defense force is hilarious. It's as fi you guys never played any other game before. Even fucking Fallout 3 is far superior in its levels than Starfield. Starfield is a massive scam but hey, smoke that cope brother.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Yeah, except ER doesnt have just caves and catacombs, it genuinely has some incredibly crafted major locations, while Starfield is 70% copy-pasted. There is absolutely nothing in Starfield that can even touch Dark Souls's level design and that game came out 12 years ago. Man the Starfield defense force is hilarious. It's as fi you guys never played any other game before. Even fucking Fallout 3 is far superior in its levels than Starfield.
I agree with you, the more we go, the more pathetic the Starfield fanbase becomes.

Neff

Imagine I was subscribed to this magazine for years.

Eh, it was always welcome to have an articulate opinion added to the consensus, but you never made a purchase based on an Edge review, because they were mostly shite.

Besides, the real reason you bought the mag was for the previews, features, scoops and shiny covers.

FingerBang

This same publication gave Goodbye Volcano High higher scores than Armored Core 6.

Gaming Journalism is dead and buried :(
Sorry, but as a non-binary dinosaur, I agree with that score. Representation > good gameplay and interesting story.

Fabieter

maybe, i just think any aspect of this game (graphics, artstyle, music, gameplay, story) is at least a 8, so clearly the average can't be 7 to me.
But i guess these are just opinions.

Yea its opinions and stuff some parts are definitely higher than 8 but some parts are way worse. I think 7 is fair score.

Camreezie

I'm guessing Edge settled on that Top 100 list before they played/reviewed Baldur's Gate 3, especially since they reviewed it only last issue. A rare 10/10 game that they scored should've definitely been on that list.
They address it , they said it was too late for their editorial and they got BG2 in there instead

This same publication gave Goodbye Volcano High higher scores than Armored Core 6.

Gaming Journalism is dead and buried :(

Armored Core has a metacritic rating of 86 and Volcano High is an 82. They gave Armored Core 6 a 7 and Volcano High an 8.

Seems like an overreaction here...

Top Bottom