• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 is 1 in the UK boxed charts, Starfield drops to No.19 Lies of P is No.3, Pikmin 1 + 2 at No.4. Payday 3 at No.7

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Mortal Kombat 1

PS5: 79%
Xbox: 14%
Switch: 7%

UK Charts: Pikmin 1+2 Blooms Into Its Physical Debut As Mortal Kombat 1 Leads The Pack

Finish him, Olimar
www.nintendolife.com
www.nintendolife.com

Top 20 list:

-1Mortal Kombat 1
12Hogwarts Legacy
-3Lies of P
-4Pikmin 1+2
35Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
216Cyberpunk 2077
-7Payday 3
58Grand Theft Auto V
49The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
710Minecraft
211The Crew: Motorfest
1112The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition
613LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
2414Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
1015Red Dead Redemption 2
2016Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
1217Street Fighter 6
-18Final Fantasy VII & Final Fantasy VII Remastered - Twin Pack
819Starfield
1420Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Last edited:
The only market for starfield in a box are series x owners, people who want to play on pc are limited to steam or xbox store and series s owners only xbox store? Not surprising it has now dropped.
Then you have the fact that if you happen to be a series x owner with game pass or pc owner then you can play it as part of that subscription, as I do just for info.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Glad that the 'gamepass doesn't affect game sales' narrative has finally died. As usual, pure wishful thinking.
I do expect to see games that launch on Game Pass chart the first month at least. Lies of P is charting now.

The interesting thing is something like MLB The Show stays a top seller despite being on Game Pass day one the past few years.

One key difference is MLB The Show is multi platform, and has an extremely healthy PlayStation fan base from the years it was exclusive. Starfield absolutely would have benefited from being on PlayStation. The platform split for Lies of P might tell the story.

Last edited:

acm2000

Glad that the 'gamepass doesn't affect game sales' narrative has finally died. As usual, pure wishful thinking.
duh? that narrative was all about the supposed "i'll wait till its on game pass" crowd not first party day one titles :LOL:

jroc74

The only market for starfield in a box are series x owners, people who want to play on pc are limited to steam or xbox store and series s owners only xbox store? Not surprising it has now dropped.
Then you have the fact that if you happen to be a series x owner with game pass or pc owner then you can play it as part of that subscription, as I do just for info.
Yeah, ppl playing the game was gonna happen. Bethesda and MS are happy with player numbers.

That its on a Most Played chart behind Fortnight tells us that chart isnt just for paid games. Sony separates their most download charts by paid, F2P, VR. Only F2P is based on downloads, everything else is based on games bought.

You will never see Fortnight on the same chart as a game someone bought on PSN charts., AFAIK.

Right now Starfield is 11 on Top Paid chart.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yazenov

GfK's report showed that the NetherRealm Studios title saw the most sales on PS5, followed by Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch.

Now they are not even reporting the percentage splits between the different versions. I wonder why?

I Found it on Intsallbase

Mortal Kombat 1

Top 20 list:

-1Mortal Kombat 1
12Hogwarts Legacy
-3Lies of P
-4Pikmin 1+2
35Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
216Cyberpunk 2077
-7Payday 3
58Grand Theft Auto V
49The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
710Minecraft
211The Crew: Motorfest
1112The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition
613LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
2414Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
1015Red Dead Redemption 2
2016Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
1217Street Fighter 6
-18Final Fantasy VII & Final Fantasy VII Remastered - Twin Pack
819Starfield
1420Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Last edited:

Tsaki

Mortal Kombat 1

The Switch version is definitely an underperformer, not that this version deserves to have any sales anyway. Which also makes their omission of a PS4 version very puzzling, since this is a crossgen game. The much better memory and GPU of the PS4 would alleviate many of the graphical problems and the average PS user being more digitally inclined than a Nintendo user could mean more digital sales as well.

Reckheim

Obviously Starfield is on game pass. How are MS gauging its success? New subscriptions?
Subscription growth and hardware sales I would assume.

Sales (especially boxed sales), are not really a good indication if its doing well or not.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
Subscription growth and hardware sales I would assume.

Sales (especially boxed sales), are not really a good indication if its doing well or not.
But correlating subscription growth to the the release of Starfield wouldn't be accurate. Some of it could be for Starfield, some of it could be just people subscribing anyway. It would be difficult to get an accurate picture.
I suppose they could compare growth to how many people are playing the game. But are these annual subs or someone buying a month sub to play the game.

Reckheim

But correlating subscription growth to the the release of Starfield wouldn't be accurate. Some of it could be for Starfield, some of it could be just people subscribing anyway. It would be difficult to get an accurate picture.
I suppose they could compare growth to how many people are playing the game. But are these annual subs or someone buying a month sub to play the game.
Definitely, but for example if they see that they gained 5m subs between August and December of this year, they could say it was due to the success of their first party offerings.

Subs have been essentially at a stand still for a year; so if you see some sort of bump you could say its because of the exclusives they are releasing.

Based on general hype around the game and CCU numbers I really don't think its the 'phenomenon' that they were hoping it would be (i,e Elden Ring last year). We'll see, I personally wouldn't mind if they gave Sony a bit of competition.

Liamario

Banned
Definitely, but for example if they see that they gained 5m subs between August and December of this year, they could say it was due to the success of their first party offerings.

Subs have been essentially at a stand still for a year; so if you see some sort of bump you could say its because of the exclusives they are releasing.

Based on general hype around the game and CCU numbers I really don't think its the 'phenomenon' that they were hoping it would be (i,e Elden Ring last year). We'll see, I personally wouldn't mind if they gave Sony a bit of competition.
Sony need competition, but I don't think Xbox is it. Xbox 360 was the kick in the arse Sony needed, but that ultimately fizzled out. It kind of feels like MS aren't committed to console gaming in same was as Sony and Nintendo. They want to be in the space, but they want their cake and eat it too. I think they should focus on PC and putting game pass on other consoles. It's like they can't win the football matches, so they buy all the stadiums so they can dictate who can play there.

BbMajor7th

I hope Lies of P is a huge success.

And here I was told in the OP that Souls fans were loving it... could be that it's a divisive game among FromSoft fans which, when you're so nakedly courting them...

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

DryvBy

Here We Go Again GIF

Using ratio from retail charts is so dumb when you know that 75% of series console sold are Series S, but ok, same people same posts.

Which means the people in GP got a copy and it sold poorly overall. They can play with the numbers all day but what we're seeing is the Game Pass effect.

Back to the real topic, Pikmin selling well is amazing news. Pikmin 4 is in my GOTY contender box.

Which means the people in GP got a copy and it sold poorly overall. They can play with the numbers all day but what we're seeing is the Game Pass effect.

Back to the real topic, Pikmin selling well is amazing news. Pikmin 4 is in my GOTY contender box.

It does not mean this at all, it means that using retail datas to do comparison is totally stupid simply taking in account that from Xbox side you have 75% of your customer that are digital only due to the Series S hardware and clearly not the case on Playstation side. Without digital datas you clearly don't have the right overview. But ok, seems too complex for some forumers to understand it.

Last edited:

jroc74

Here We Go Again GIF

Using ratio from retail charts is so dumb when you know that 75% of series console sold are Series S, but ok, same people same posts.
Ok, when digital gets added that will be a new thread.

Also, I thought that 75% was being hotly debated as for a specific time frame.

So much info leaked recently it's hard to keep up.

DryvBy

It does not mean this at all, it means that using retail datas to do comparison is totally stupid simply taking in account that from Xbox side you have 75% of your customer that are digital only due to the Series S hardware and clearly not the case on Playstation side. Without digital datas you clearly don't have the right overview. But ok, seems too complex for some forumers to understand it.

It's meaningful in every way. We're seeing old games topple it and by old I mean games like Minecraft old. Boxed copies of it at that. Games on Game Pass don't sell because if you're main box is Xbox, why would you bother buying the game? It's "free" in their eyes.

We're not talking who played it but who bought it. Devs are saying the same thing this says: Game Pass is horrible for sales.

Pelta88

You can live in a reality where the XB hasn't collapsed and the Series S is saving the day, behind the scenes, if you view data through a certain prism. The rest of us read Microsoft's legally binding documents, submissions and testimony in a court of law.

Saying in effect, "But what about digital?" was a straw man argument before we got a peek behind the GP curtain. Saying "But what about digital" today, means you're arguing in bad faith at best.

Tsaki

Ok, when digital gets added that will be a new thread.

Also, I thought that 75% was being hotly debated as for a specific time frame.

So much info leaked recently it's hard to keep up.
It depends who makes the argument and for what purpose.
75% of sales were Series S? :
"No one has a Series X. What was even the point of that SKU?"
"That is only for a month. The actual is close to 50:50."
"Series S was a genius move by MS. If it didn't exist Xbox hardware would be 70% lower"
etc etc
You can mix and match those talking points to argue for or against it, whenever it's convenient.
Personally it seems the ratio is like 60:40 or 65:35 worldwide.

Top Bottom