• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 is 1 in the UK boxed charts, Starfield drops to No.19 Lies of P is No.3, Pikmin 1 + 2 at No.4. Payday 3 at No.7

SJRB

Gold Member
And here I was told in the OP that Souls fans were loving it... could be that it's a divisive game among FromSoft fans which, when you're so nakedly courting them...

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

It's just memes. Lies of P is a great game and I've seen nothing but praise for it (aside from indeed maybe the retardos that can't game without their iframes).

Holy fuck that’s a big difference in MK sales.
Fighting games usually don't sell well on Xbox. They have also been more associated as PlayStation titles. Not surprised.

The only fighting game I personally ever had on Xbox was Dead or Alive 3 and Tao Feng back in the OG Xbox days.

Gambit2483

But how is this possible ? Don't bethesda games usually have insane longevity ?
The month is not even over yet...

This is very alarming !!!

zMloped.gif
Boxed sales on Xbox for Games on Gamepass will always be like this, i.e. high at launch then fall straight off a cliff.

Of course, that doesn't mean people aren't playing the game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I do expect to see games that launch on Game Pass chart the first month at least. Lies of P is charting now.

The interesting thing is something like MLB The Show stays a top seller despite being on Game Pass day one the past few years.

One key difference is MLB The Show is multi platform, and has an extremely healthy PlayStation fan base from the years it was exclusive. Starfield absolutely would have benefited from being on PlayStation. The platform split for Lies of P might tell the story.
Lies of P and MLB are different as they are multiplatform releases.

yazenov

It does not mean this at all, it means that using retail datas to do comparison is totally stupid simply taking in account that from Xbox side you have 75% of your customer that are digital only due to the Series S hardware and clearly not the case on Playstation side. Without digital datas you clearly don't have the right overview. But ok, seems too complex for some forumers to understand it.

We get regular data in the European and UK monthly charts. Xbox still underperforms in sales even when accounting for digital sales. So what's your point coming in this thread and downplaying poor Xbox sales? It's getting destroyed in both hardware and software sales worldwide. It's behind Xbox One in unit sales.

MS already admitted in the court leaks that Gamepass affects sales. So they are lying now? Which is it? Gamepass affects software sales or not?

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

It's just memes. Lies of P is a great game and I've seen nothing but praise for it (aside from indeed maybe the retardos that can't game without their iframes).
Bundle me in with the retardos in that case :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This tweet is moronic. Dodge works just fine but the game is based around parry’s much more.

I actually found the dodge more forgiving than the parry, especially as you can unlock a double-dodge quite early on.

Last edited:
We get regular data in the European and UK monthly charts. Xbox still underperforms in sales even when accounting for digital sales. So what's your point coming in this thread and downplaying poor Xbox sales? It's getting destroyed in both hardware and software sales worldwide. Its behind Xbox One is unit sales.

MS already admitted in the court leaks that Gamepass affects sales. So they are lying now?

Seems like people does really not know to read and understand what's written

Kevin James Pain GIF by TV Land

Alebrije

Good for Lies of P and Pikmin 1+2. Nice IPs and proves gameplay and art style with "low budget". Are better than some AAA IPs.

Interfectum

Here We Go Again GIF

Using ratio from retail charts is so dumb when you know that 75% of series console sold are Series S, but ok, same people same posts.
We'll see if that's you walking away from this thread when there isn't a significant percentage increase when including digital.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Doesn’t the starfield number make sense? The run at first for all the people who would buy it regardless and then the casuals who are just giving it a run on game pass would have hit the vast majority of people for its first run. I’d expect it to have a fairly long burn though at moderate levels as new people join the eco system.

NickFire

Doesn’t the starfield number make sense?
Yes. At this point the boxed sales of MS console exclusives really won't tell us much more than whether it was anticipated going into week 1 I think. Simply no way to know how successful a game is based on box sales when the vast majority of the audience is digital only.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes. At this point the boxed sales of MS console exclusives really won't tell us much more than whether it was anticipated going into week 1 I think. Simply no way to know how successful a game is based on box sales when the vast majority of the audience is digital only.
Well, I’m sure there is some kind of correlation but who knows.

Either way, I still like the game

NickFire

Well, I’m sure there is some kind of correlation but who knows.

Either way, I still like the game
Maybe there still is. I'm just not willing to call any game underperforming because of boxed sales in one country when a small segment of the particular audience has disc drives.

Also - I'm not suggesting any games on the list aren't good. I thought I was agreeing with you actually.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Maybe there still is. I'm just not willing to call any game underperforming because of boxed sales in one country when a small segment of the particular audience has disc drives.

Also - I'm not suggesting any games on the list aren't good. I thought I was agreeing with you actually.
Oh, lol, I thought you were too! We’re 100% on the same page.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Mortal Kombat 1

PS5: 79%
Xbox: 14%

Switch: 7%

Starfield No. 19....

Wow

If im a publisher in telling MS and Gamepass to fuck right off. People will buy my game. Not stream it fior "free". It benefits me in no way

Last edited:

blackjon24

The excuse I heard regarding the huge difference between the sales of street fighter 6 on ps5 vs xbox was capcom/sony's fault for making street fighter 5 exclusive. Curious how anyone can defend this one? It is so obvious that xbox fans are just not buying games like they used to anymore

NickFire

The excuse I heard regarding the huge difference between the sales of street fighter 6 on ps5 vs xbox was capcom/sony's fault for making street fighter 5 exclusive. Curious how anyone can defend this one? It is so obvious that xbox fans are just not buying games like they used to anymore
I believe you are 100% correct about less Xbox owners buying games these days. I also think we need digital break downs to really confirm it though. None of the Series S owners have any reason to buy physical games, and based on some prior threads there's good reason to suspect Series S comprises the majority of current gen Xbox's in the wild.

yazenov

uk_charts_xsx_we_23sep23_b89ceca6-f807-4980-be60-9141c7199b86.jpg
uk_charts_ps5_we_23sep23_7d6a5f29-1f2c-4fe9-87f8-14e9a499e971.jpg

from MarcoP90​

Any idea of the Lies of P split?

That'll give us an idea around the 'gamepass has made Xbox gamers buy less games' notion

According to these platform-specific charts, Lies of P is number 8 on Xbox, while it is number 2 on PS5, which indicates that the PS5 is doing most of the heavy lifting in its sales.

Gamepass is affecting buy-to-play games 100%. There is no denying this.

uk_charts_xsx_we_23sep23_b89ceca6-f807-4980-be60-9141c7199b86.jpg
uk_charts_ps5_we_23sep23_7d6a5f29-1f2c-4fe9-87f8-14e9a499e971.jpg

from MarcoP90​

According to these platform-specific charts, Lies of P is number 8 on Xbox, while it is number 2 on PS5, which indicates that the PS5 is doing most of the heavy lifting in its sales.

Gamepass is affecting buy-to-play games 100%. There is no denying this.
This makes me wonder whether developers will start asking for higher fees from Xbox.

If I'm putting it on Gamepass I'm accepting that it's going to cannibalise some of my physical and digital sales from Xbox and PlayStation. For that I'd want a bigger wedge up front.

yazenov

This makes me wonder whether developers will start asking for higher fees from Xbox.

If I'm putting it on Gamepass I'm accepting that it's going to cannibalise some of my physical and digital sales from Xbox and PlayStation. For that I'd want a bigger wedge up front.

Most of these publishers/devs are just testing the waters with Gamepass. They will no doubt ask for higher fees or not put their games on Gamepass on day one.

You rarely see big AAA 3rd party game on Gamepass anyway. A lot of these are just smaller titles from 3rd party studios.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Of course gamepass would affect sales. Microsoft even admits to this now don't they?

That comment about increasing sales was from like 5 years ago when it was in its infancy wasn't it?

Fighting games usually don't sell well on Xbox. They have also been more associated as PlayStation titles. Not surprised.

The only fighting game I personally ever had on Xbox was Dead or Alive 3 and Tao Feng back in the OG Xbox days.
That's not why the sales are low on Xbox....

Its because Xbox has pushed game pass so much to the point were Xbox owners don't want to pay full price for games anymore because they think the games will come to game pass at some point.

I think MK11 is on game pass right now so its not crazy to think MK1 will be in game pass at some point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom