• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jurassic Park 4 that almost happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

hertog

Wait? people hated JP3? because it went back to the "stuck on the island" theme?

I honestly would rather deal with JP3 then the storyline of JP2 where they were literally walking around San Diego like as if it was nothing. That was a "jumped the shark" moment more then anything.

Also this script would work if we didn't call if a JP. Make it a Sci Fi movie with a generic name and it's good.

JP3 would've been great if the characters weren't so annoying.
Even Sam Neill couldn't save the rest of the cast.

Amalthea

Banned
It would be cool to see a JP movie set in the Alps (even funnier if it was set in Jura mountains close to the Alps, wich gave the Jurassic age its name).

But hell, those designs are freaky as hell!

I hope the final version will have normal dinos only.

VoxPop

That's pretty awesome. I don't think it should be anything related to Jurassic Park but alone it could be pretty damn cool.

Tankshell

Jurassic Park makes me feel old =/ I can't believe the 1st film is now 20 years old. I remember going to see it at the cinema when I was in school aged 12 =0) I think some of my mates ran out genuinely scared. I got new mates afterwards.

Slayven

Something is really rocking on planet number three,
modern man got prehistoric company.
A colossal fossil feud unlike anything before
between the reckless Raptors and the EXTREME DINOSAURS!!!
Extreme, extreme, extreme dinosaurs
Tails that snap like thunderclap
Talking, stalking raptor trap.
Extreme, extreme,extreme dinosaurs
the clasic and jurrasic four
EXTREME DINOSAURS!
"Saurean Stomp!"
"Lets fossilize em!"
colossal tossem to the max
they'll fossilize em in their tracks
the Clasic and Jurrasic four
EXTREME DINOSAURS!

H3xum

Why not ditch the JP tag and let this be a new IP

Regardless, this sounds horrendous, I liken it to a movie on syfy at 4am

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
By the time you get to the fourth in a series things are supposed to get stupid.

You are correct sir.

gsm_169_mgs4_vr_ps31_061308_300.jpg

It made vampires and 100 year old snipers look tame.

McNei1y

it's a travesty that Gladiator 2 never got made

What was Gladiator 2 exactly about? All I could find was that it follows Maximus into an "afterlife" setting where he meets Roman God's and becomes immortal or something? Sounds baller either way.

But this movie should definitely be made. Those things are creepy...but it would be so awesome!

Liamario

Banned
Concept art is very creepy, but I don't think it fits into the jurassic park universe. Would like to see a standalone movie based on the artwork though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah heard of this before. It was really so awkward.

But I think more like...
Something is really rocking on planet number three,
modern man got prehistoric company.
A colossal fossil feud unlike anything before
between the reckless Raptors and the EXTREME DINOSAURS!!!
Extreme, extreme, extreme dinosaurs
Tails that snap like thunderclap
Talking, stalking raptor trap.
the clasic and jurrasic four
EXTREME DINOSAURS!
"Saurean Stomp!"
"Lets fossilize em!"
colossal tossem to the max
they'll fossilize em in their tracks
the Clasic and Jurrasic four
EXTREME DINOSAURS!
what this guy said

WillyFive

Wait? people hated JP3? because it went back to the "stuck on the island" theme?

I honestly would rather deal with JP3 then the storyline of JP2 where they were literally walking around San Diego like as if it was nothing. That was a "jumped the shark" moment more then anything.

No, Jurassic Park 3 was a total rehash that offered nothing new and gave nothing new. It's only justification for existence is for money and using some action sequences cut from the original. Also, other than the raptors being smart gimmick, it was pretty boring.

However, The Lost World actually gave something new and expanded the Jurassic Park story. There was nothing wrong with having dinosaurs walk around San Diego, it was a great idea that made for great moments in the movie. I have no idea how you think it was "like nothing". JP3 literally was "nothing".

So, Robotpo over at JPLegacy pointed this out, apparently someone else read a slightly different draft of this script:

I READ the FIRST DRAFT
by D.Vader August 17th, 2004

I had no idea who it was by bc the cover page wasn't attached. And my response was that this was a good fan fiction story, a script that was better suited for a novel sequel instead of a film. Why? Because there were no friggin dinosaurs in it! Here is what you saw in the script: Dinosaur/Eagle hybrids flying around, an Ankylosaurus in the dungeon of the castle, some Dilophosaurus behind glass, and then VELOCIRAPTOR/HUMAN hybrids. No T-Rex at all! Which, some say fine, its predictable to have the Rex in there, but this first draft just didnt seem big enough. There wasn't enough action. It was lots of talk talk talk about the ethics of doing all this genetic modification, flirting between the main character and Lex, who's now all grown up. The main character, Harris, DOES go to the island, but in the 1st draft takes a team of mercenaries, yes, and they get attacked by raptors that managed to live in underground tunnels while all the dinosaurs above were firebombed years before. Harris and his team find the shaving can but are attacked by pirates hired by a rival company. So now we get to the castle in the alps and the Raptor soldiers. They were NOT upright walking dinosaurs. They were raptors that human characteristics and 5 fingers. They watched tv, learned, and were obedient. In one scene they are given a mission out into a village to kill someone and they do so very well---EXCEPT we never see it happen. We just hear the screams and see bloody footprints. So, like I said, not enough action. The last half of the script involved a team of soldiers breaking into the castle to save Harris and Lex, but the power goes out and the raptor/humans get on the loose and kill everyone. Turns out they are completely dependent on some other hormone that they have to get injected with, and Harris hides the drugs so the raptors will all die. There is a chase on a ski-lift back into town with raptors hot on their tail and then---- Well, you can figure it out. But Mori, here is a note-- Deinonychus is NOT A LITTLE T-REX. Everyone knows Deinonychus is a larger velociraptor. Anyway, I hope the second draft is much better than the first (sounds like it), bc I can't see anyone wanting to make a Jurassic Park movie without any real dinosaur action.

I wonder if they're sticking with the raptor-human hybrid dino story

The script I read back in 2004 had them. Also had a secret castle in the Swiss mountains with scientists using the embryos Nedry stole (and lost... and was recovered) to develop more dinosaurs. There was not a T-Rex in the story (disappointing), and much of it felt like fan fiction.

It did involve a grown-up socialite Lex, rich and living off her inheritance from her dead grandfather but also doing some sort of work for InGen and lots of social work, fundraisers and stuff.

That could be interesting.

Like I said, I like the art... I like the part about going to the Alps (this would be an awesome setting for JP).. But I don't like the rest for a Jurassic Park film.

This is as good a place to ask as any: I distinctly remember mentions being made pre-JPIII about that movie featuring genetically enhanced Dinosaurs (I think specifically referencing the Raptors and why they looked different from JP and JP2). It seems like this is backed up by the line from Grant during the movie about "makes you wonder what else they [InGen] were up too..." after they discover the Spinosaurus.

So, was this ever supposed to be a plot point for JPIII, or is my 11 year old memory just deceiving me?

Hm, I know JP3 went through a ton of revision right up to the last minute.. Im not sure if any of those concept called for something as bizarre as this, but I do believe they hinted that InGen wasn't being completely honest but of their work. I do remember a draft with grant basically living a tree house where he was studying the dinosaurs on the island when things went wrong.

Must be gamejournalists in disguise.

:lol

To be fair, this page is the source in a way, but to really cite sources they should have sourced Carlos Huante and Andrew Cawrse.

people that care about the "JP universe" are people that think the JP book is "better" than the JP movie and as such are not to be trusted as far as they can be rolled.

with that in mind, this idea has always sounded AWESOME and, if executed correctly, would be about the only shot the brand has at relevance beyond going pure horror. like everyone says about resident evil, yes.

Jacobi

Banned
I already read that script but wouldn't have ever thought this would have almost been made.
The script sounds like the guy who wrote the script was stuck in the 90s...

smr00

Banned
ATTN Companies: People like dinosaurs because they are dinosaurs.

Would totally watch though.
It's like the complete opposite of a Jurrassic Park film, like TMNT without the mutant or ninja and everything else.

I would still totally watch a dinosaur/human hybrid movie, make it happen SYFY.

ILM says the 3D renders aren't official:

Not sure where this stuff came from but it’s not from a production we’ve worked on. Looks like someone’s personal work – ILM doesn’t put © lines on our work like in those images – we don’t own the work – the clients do.

I know for a fact the art it was based on was official though, so its possible a guy at ILM just did the render and sculpt for fun? Also, the picture of the render showed up at a talk he gave about anatomy while representing himself and ILM, so I think there still may be more to it.

The best step at this point would be if someone just asked Carlos Huante and Andrew Cawrse directly.

strafer

ILM says the 3D renders aren't official:

I know for a fact the art it was based on was official though, so its possible a guy at ILM just did the render and sculpt for fun? Also, the picture of the render showed up at a talk he gave about anatomy while representing himself and ILM, so I think there still may be more to it.

The best step at this point would be if someone just asked Carlos Huante and Andrew Cawrse directly.

Or we can forget about the whole thing since it's been a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom