• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jurassic Park 4 that almost happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra\/en

Eh why not? That art is awesome! Super creepy.

I didn't like JP3 much at all. I think a weird human/dino movie would have been just fine. It's not like JP3 set the bar high or anything.

Oozer3993

a DIRTY DOZEN-style mercenary team of hyper-smart dinosaurs in body armor killing drug dealers and rescuing kidnapped children

My opinion on this has not changed since I originally read this script review back in 2004: GREATEST PREMISE EVER.

Jasoneyu

oJgLe.png

I CAN HAZ CHEEZEBURGER?!

This totally looks like those goombas from the live action super mario movie:

vy2xA.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is that it? Then this movie should fit right in, since there are dinosaurs aplenty.

I don't see anyway from the depiction of the script above that would contradict that. Genetic engineering played just as big a part in bringing back the dinosaurs in JP1 as it seems it would done to making them more advanced in JP4.

Is it that hard to understand that people want JP4 to be about dinosaurs and not monsters? What is shown in those pictures is nothing like the first 3 movies.

They can make that crazy movie if they want, but don't call it Jurassic Park 4.

Korosenai

I would have loved to see it because I love jurrasic park.

When I was a kid, I watched my jurrasic park VHS tape so much that it stopped working.

I really would be surprised if half the people saying this was a good idea would say the same thing if it actually happened and this was a thread about the trailer. This idea is so absurd, so out there that odds are it wouldn't work. And even if it would work, it is not Jurassic Park, and not what the fans of the franchise want. Jurassic Park had a sense of realism and adventure, it was a movie about magnificent extinct animals, not commando mutants. Jurassic Park 4 should not be a monster movie... JP3 started down the monster movie route with the Spinosaurus and it turned out awful.

It's absurd for Jurassic Park, but it could potentially work for another unrelated movie.

Agreed. The art is pretty awesome when not attached to the Jurassic Park name, and the story is so absurd it might just be amazing.

I really would be surprised if half the people saying this was a good idea would say the same thing if it actually happened and this was a thread about the trailer. This idea is so absurd, so out there that odds are it wouldn't work. And even if it would work, it is not Jurassic Park, and not what the fans of the franchise want. Jurassic Park had a sense of realism and adventure, it was a movie about magnificent extinct animals, not commando mutants. Jurassic Park 4 should not be a monster movie... JP3 started down the monster movie route with the Spinosaurus and it turned out awful.

It's absurd for Jurassic Park, but it could potentially work for another unrelated movie.

Kusagari

I feel like that this would need to be R, though.

So I do wish it was distanced from Jurassic Park so it could get the rating it deserves for true madness.

Apoc29

This shit is crazy, but is it any crazier than 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'? Maybe it's only so absurd because it's not aimed at kids.

As my personal investment in the JP franchise died after JP2, I'd be all for this. Fuck it. Bring on the cyborg chimera dinosaur squad.

We've had 2 sequels trying to be what Jurassic Park "should be". They all ended up being about people running from escaped dinosaurs on a tropical island. There is more creative value in doing something different with the IP at this point than in remaining faithful to it.

We've had 2 sequels trying to be what Jurassic Park "should be". They all ended up being about people running from escaped dinosaurs on a tropical island. There is more creative value in doing something different with the IP at this point than in remaining faithful to it.

But at that point, why even bother calling it Jurassic Park? Make it a new IP. Also, a good Jurassic Park sequel true to the original isn't impossible by a longshot.. To me this idea show's how creatively starved they were that they decided to say fuck it and just do whatever while completely steamrolling what Jurassic Park was about.

This.

But at that point, why even bother calling it Jurassic Park? Make it a new IP. Also, a good Jurassic Park sequel true to the original isn't impossible by a longshot.. To me this idea show's how creatively starved they were that they decided to say fuck it and just do whatever while completely steamrolling what Jurassic Park was about.
Why call it Jurassic Park, by why not? It presents a world that relies heavily on the Jurassic Park backstory for it's setup. It's also easier to get away with things like human-dino hybrids when you're building on something that came before, rather than trying to get people to swallow a brand new ip with such ridiculous ideas. Jurassic Park already spent a whole movie getting people on board with the idea of dinosaurs existing in that universe.

This makes sense. I get the hate because they don't really look like dinosaurs, but maybe they fucked with their genes, right? I'm torn with it being a new ip or a new JP installment.

The JP name should be reserved for Dinosaurs, not mutants, commandos, aliens, etc. This script jumps the shark in far too many ways and completely ignore the charm and appeal of the franchise. I agree, JP4 shouldn't be anther 'oops, we are stuck on the island' movie.. That said, it should be about Dinosaurs as animals, the sci-fi side of things should be mild. JP was always about striving for a balance of fiction and reality, and while the dinosaurs weren't perfect they were still.. dinosaurs. This script is the exact opposite of what Jurassic Park was about, and it reads like a SyFy original movie.

JP4 in space would be a way better premise than this.

Why call it Jurassic Park, by why not? It presents a world that relies heavily on the Jurassic Park backstory for it's setup. It's also easier to get away with things like human-dino hybrids when you're building on something that came before, rather than trying to get people to swallow a brand new ip with such ridiculous ideas. Jurassic Park already spent a whole movie getting people on board with the idea of dinosaurs existing in that universe.
Pretty much this. Imagine the main premise of this movie WITHOUT the backstory, setup, and mythos of the previous Jurassic Park movies. That would double the insanity by a factor of ten.

What the flying fuck, that's not Jurassic Park. I mean I want to see this, but this looks like some weird horror movie with Jurassic mutants, not the dinosaurs from the previous films.

Oddly, that was the thing about the synopsis that bothered me the most.

Never mind how Hammond would even know about it, or where it is.

Sounds about a million times more interesting than what we got with JP2 and JP3.

TLW wasn't perfect, but it soared above JP3 and certainly is a better JP movie than this script. This script may be 'original' (if dinosaur mercenaries count as such), but its not JP and it sounds like a Michael Bay movie.

gatti-man

Never mind how Hammond would even know about it, or where it is.

TLW wasn't perfect, but it soared above JP3 and certainly is a better JP movie than this script. This script may be 'original' (if dinosaur mercenaries count as such), but its not JP and it sounds like a Michael Bay movie.

funny but Michael Bay would pull this movie off and make BILLIONS. Nolan could also do it well.

I think we have the plot for taken3 here, liam neeson trains a pack of hyper intelligent dinosaurs with a particular set of skills he's acquired over a long carrier in the race to save his family from a pack of velocaraptors that have kidnapped his famly, and are going to eat them. where is my check now Hollywood?

I still don't get how people find things called 'Dino-Hu-Ogs' being trained by a mercenary to carry weapons, follow orders and fight crime is awesome, but to each their own. :lol

I will admit other parts of the script sound pretty awesome in a over the top way (Castle in the Alps, Trapdoor Raptors, etc) and the art is great. Just, its not Jurassic Park.

Gorillaz

Wait? people hated JP3? because it went back to the "stuck on the island" theme?

I honestly would rather deal with JP3 then the storyline of JP2 where they were literally walking around San Diego like as if it was nothing. That was a "jumped the shark" moment more then anything.

Also this script would work if we didn't call if a JP. Make it a Sci Fi movie with a generic name and it's good.

Matt

This is as good a place to ask as any: I distinctly remember mentions being made pre-JPIII about that movie featuring genetically enhanced Dinosaurs (I think specifically referencing the Raptors and why they looked different from JP and JP2). It seems like this is backed up by the line from Grant during the movie about "makes you wonder what else they [InGen] were up too..." after they discover the Spinosaurus.

So, was this ever supposed to be a plot point for JPIII, or is my 11 year old memory just deceiving me?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Reading this now kinda makes it seem like a lot of what they wanted from this they got done with transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom