• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo's NX platform will use an Android OS

Did we all forget that the NX is not a mobile platform? Android based is not the same as Android Powered. As it stands Nintendo are fantastic when it comes to making games, but their OS offerings have been fragmented and not very well done. If they do plan on continued support for two hardware platforms they need to marry them with a familiar OS.

Android based OS also would mean that a lot of the features we've been clamoring for would be easier to implement.

Mobile and NX are not the and thing, which is why Iwata brought it up during that meeting.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think it's more the initial shock of reading "Android OS" and thinking of smartphonesand Ouya, reading TDM posts gives a bit more clarity

That's jumping to conclusion there. Android is more than just smartphones ouya and tablets. Its just a OS, and can be found in various other applications like smartwatches, PC, smart cars , TVs etc nowadays.

Somnid

It's surprising but customizing AOSP isn't a bad strategy because they'll greatly reduce effort of getting basic functionality working and developers are already pretty familiar with it. Note that it doesn't have to function much like Android people are used to at all. It's not unlike them leveraging webkit for their browser, if there's an open source project that does most of what you want there's little reason to spend the effort to rebuild unless you have great and specific need and Nintendo certainly doesn't.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Really? Wow. I wrote a research paper on Windows CE for a class and i never came across this. But then again i was surprised to learn just how many embedded systems ran CE.
It was right on the front of the machine.

Faustek

How do you know that it doesn't mean that? We don't know anything other than what Nikki is reporting. No need for preemptive damage control. As of now this is all speculation. Let's speculate. It's fun.

hmm, true enough.
I just wanted to mitigate my own headache as I'm perusing the thread. I'm selfish that way yo.

I'll wait for the Cyanogen edition

Hah, that made me smirk :)
Man I haven't touched Cyanogen in ages. Xposed and stock android did it for me :)

Zalman

I think there's more to the story since there are some issues here right off the bat (mainly piracy), but it's going to be interesting to see how it turns out. This isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on how they handle it.

Keep in mind Iwata already said it's a dedicated game platform.

I would probably buy a Nintendo phone if it's aimed at mass market pricing. Think of all the included ringtones and message alerts.

Compsiox

Banned
I think there's more to the story since there are some issues here right off the bat (mainly piracy), but it's going to be interesting to see how it turns out. This isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on how they handle it.
How is piracy on Kindle android devices?

ITT I learned that apparently no one understands what 'Android-based console' means. Apparent Android isn't an operating system, its just the App Store. Nintendo is only publishing through the app store now.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

It not going to be android.

I don't think so. I think Nintendo will have the groundwork and the partnership to make a viable platform without Android.

Hopefully the Nintendo Network name transfers.

EDIT: I could also see Apple making a play at Nintendo, especially to get their IPs promoted on the App Store. It's going to be huge.

Stop with this.

Iwata has consistently stated that the next OS is based on Wii U's architecture.

Doubtful. It'll probably be more of an evolution of the Wii U/3DS OS. Probably with better Miiverse integration.

Nonsense.

I'm a pretty big Android advocate... there is no way in hell Nintendo would touch Android.

Extremely doubtful.

Clickbait title.
This belongs on Buzzfeed.

I believe Nintendo will have their own OS with app services on Android and IOS.

It would be a security nightmare to have Android or IOS on a home console. They would have to constantly update to protect against exploits. This would put the OS control away from Nintendo and into the hands of other companies. I don't think Nintendo wants to go that route.

Why is this presented as fact? What's with the troll thread titles today, jeez

I highly doubt this. Android is way too open as a platform for Nintendo.

Huahuahuahuahuahuahua

I have mixed feelings about this announcement.
On one hand, it means it will finally have a decent account but also that Nintendo is taking forward thinking decisions.

On the other hand... I can see leading this easy piracy and a terrible direction in term of philosophy for their machine.

I wonder if it's true if Android is capable of displaying proper graphics? I mean, I don't play mobile games, but those I see from time to time can't even compare to Wii U graphics.

I can imagine that they use android for the next handheld while using a dedicated os for the home console, but both with x86 hardware since their already were reports about Nintendo using AMD CPUs next time, no?

Yes, the "reports" were strong rumors and speculation, but makes perfect sense for Nintendo:

http://powerleveled.com/amd-talks-new-custom-gaming-processors/

Maximo

Aaaaand It'll be hacked within 5 hours. :p
kung-fury---hacker---g%252B.gif

Illucio

Banned
Wouldn't this create a ton of potential for piracy? And emulations on Android devices?

NX is going to be a OS. Not a phone, but a gaming device.

So basically a tablet/ipod touch but it's a independent gaming system?

This sounds more and more like a Handheld/Console hybrid.... Very interesting to say the least, but I don't think it will be successful.

Nanashrew

Banned

Keep in mind Iwata already said it's a dedicated game platform.

Nintendo will likely do everything they can to prevent that and have constant stability updates.

Hideaki Anno: "Anime will be dead in 5 years"

That doesn't say it's a fact. It doesn't have to say "rumor" in the headline. It means "Hideaki Anno said a thing." You can judge for yourself how much weight you want to put into his words.

I really expected Nintendo's response to go in the opposite direction and be "We need to ensure that we never have to depend on anybody ever again." I expected them to make a "Nintendo platform" like we've only joked about, with increased first party content capable of sustaining the platform (or trying to), and actual indifference to any third party that isn't working directly with Nintendo.

The bolded part and lowering barriers to third-party development aren't mutually exclusive.

Trago

I have mixed feelings about this announcement.
On one hand, it means it will finally have a decent account but also that Nintendo is taking forward thinking decisions.

On the other hand... I can see leading this easy piracy and a terrible direction in term of philosophy for their machine.

Care to elaborate?

Faustek

Wow, was expecting Console, but android would seem to suggest mobile.

There is always a possibility but I'll tell you that Android itself can be run on any hardware.
But if you missed it Android M is being fitted to able to run well in an desktop environment as well and Ubuntu has that seamless switching if you set it up for when you dock your phone to a desktop Screen.

Good times good times indeed.

Sandfox

How so? They haven't cared about 3rd party support since Pre N64. I don't recall any major changes in their ways.
They've been approaching software in a lot of different ways lately in addition to doing more to take advantage of their IPs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so people don't seem to understand what Android is.

Android is:
-An operating system
-An operating system you can customize how you like
-An operating system with the ability to call down to the hardware at a low level

Android is not:
-A hardware architecture
-A mandate to be a phone
-A mandate to not be a walled garden

HUELEN10

Android is:
-An operating system
-An operating system with the ability to call down to the hardware at a low level

Android is not:
-A hardware architecture
-A mandate to be a phone
Thank you, you've worded it pretty spot-on. You could also add "Androird is not mandatory google services or compatibility for any apps".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if it's true if Android is capable of displaying proper graphics? I mean, I don't play mobile games, but those I see from time to time can't even compare to Wii U graphics.

I can imagine that they use android for the next handheld while using a dedicated os for the home console, but both with x86 hardware since their already were reports about Nintendo using AMD CPUs next time, no?

Android is an operating system, not a piece of hardware.

billeh

From an OS perspective, this is fantastic. Nintendo needs to stick do what they do best, GAMES. If using Android allows them to better focus on their core competencies, then I'm all in.

My main concern would be that most Android applications are ARM-based, and I'm not sure how well graphically it can compete with the x86 world on the XBO/PS4. Judging from what I've seen the Nvidia Shield put out, I think it might need a little more time in the over. Is there a mainstream use of Android using the x86 architecture anyone can direct me to?

Very interesting. Though honestly, Android is a backbone of many different platforms - it's not just a mobile OS anymore. All this would do in a practical sense is lower the entry barrier for developers, since it'd be based on familiar architecture. Porting would be simple.

Kriken

That's jumping to conclusion there. Android is more than just smartphones ouya and tablets. Its just a OS, and can be found in various other applications like smartwatches, PC, smart cars , TVs etc nowadays.

Well, judging by the reactions and repeated reminders of this, I'd say I wasn't the only one

OmegaDL50

Android is:
-An operating system

Android is not:
-A hardware architecture
-A mandate to be a phone

Thank you.

I was just about to make a similar comment about the distinction between software and hardware.

Trago

Android is:
-An operating system

Android is not:
-A hardware architecture
-A mandate to be a phone

post-24099-well-there-it-is-gif-Imgur-Tum-TuVG.gif

Top Bottom