• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo's NX platform will use an Android OS

Welp. That's that. If true Nintendo as we know it is about to cease to exist. Not sure if this is good or bad. But I'm definitely not looking forward to yet another Android device in a sea of Android devices. Nintendo IP will set it apart. But...I dunno...this strikes me as just...lame.

HUELEN10

I'm not going to post the entire article, but the relevant part is here:

(And before anyone freaks out, the final line about the next Dragon Quest game being on PS4 is probably referring to DQH2. :p)

Thanks, ran it through bing translate (lol, cartridges being called cassettes). Fairly interesting. From what I took it as, expect a Nintendo-made android fork as the core for architecture on the thing.

Unless it is Nintendo saying, it is still a rumor. Doesn't matter if it is Nikkei or IGN or anybody else.

So you admit that's implied and doesn't need to be stated, just like we don't need to preface every thread about something every game developer or CEO says with "OPINION"

Neff

I was assuming that Nintendo would do ports of their mobile stuff to their own systems, but integrating a mobile-friendly OS makes more sense.

And yeah, I'm convinced more than ever now that NX is a handheld.

nPm2M.gif

thuway

Could this be a set top box hybrid? With Nvidia Tegra being as powerful as it is, this could easily make a monster powerful tablet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Android based or straight up Android?

Android based more than likely. Going the Apple route of taking BSD/UNIX and making "Darwin" as their base. AKA: Taking Android, removing a lot of Google stuff for the sake of piracy protections and making Nintendo focused "edits" to the Linux kernal/OS.

HUELEN10

I'm not the technical guy to do this, but someone might need to explain what "based on android" means XD
iOS is based on Darwin, as is OS X. Both OSes are entirely different, but based on the same core, and are not directly compatible. Core current Xbox One OS is based on what makes Windows tick, but is not directly compatible with windows.

See what I mean?

jwhit28

It seems too good to be true to have a device that marries the best qualities of using Android (app selection, compatibility across multiple devices, ease of development) with DS/3DS style game library and controls.

It would be interesting to see how Japan would react to having a traditional Nintendo device with access to android apps, even if Nintendo bypasses the Play Store and takes an Amazon App Store approach.

random25

Interesting. The only thing I'm worried about Android OS is that it's not efficient and optimized unless it's vanilla. But other than that, it can really open up a huge opportunity not just for Nintendo, but for the developer base as well that wants to bring and sell console-like games using an open development platform.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Everybody freaking THE FUCK OUT about this must either be too young to remember or don't know that then Dreamcast runs
(is compatible with)
Windows CE.

Could this be a set top box hybrid? With Nvidia Tegra being as powerful as it is, this could easily make a monster powerful tablet.

makes sense. The NX is probably just a platform/OS that they will spin home and handheld gaming off of, at least that's what I'd be money on.

Welp. That's that. If true Nintendo as we know it is about to cease to exist. Not sure if this is good or bad. But I'm definitely not looking forward to yet another Android device in a sea of Android devices. Nintendo IP will set it apart. But...I dunno...this strikes me as just...lame.

Ehh... I'd wait and see what it is before jumping to doom and gloom.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Forking the OS and staying updated is tough. Ask Amazon. But maybe Nintendo doesn't need to update it much. Good move, imo.

Jigorath

Banned
I've been saying for a while that Nintendo's next handheld should just be a tablet. That's clearly where the market is going. Seems like the easiest way to get a ton more 3rd party support while they continue to develop their own software.

Kriken

I know it's not Android 100%, but even Android based sounds a bit ridiculous. The shareholders must be making the upper management hot under the collar more so than usual for this to be true

Banned
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO87370000Y5A520C1000000/

The Nikkei put up an editorial earlier today about Nintendo's partnership with DeNA. It's a pretty long article (and you need an account to read most of it, so unless you sign up that link is kinda useless), but most of it is about historical connections and basically an overview on the relationship.

The interesting part is that the article starts by discussing Nintendo's next platform - the one Iwata codenamed NX. They have an insider source who claims that the OS for the platform will be Android based, and that it is a paradigm shift for Nintendo business-wise. The source goes on to say that when third parties abandoned Nintendo's WiiU one by one, it caused turning point in the company. So while they have had a philosophy of developing their own software and hardware concepts internally for all these years, they are now prepared to embrace a more open platform with Android, to allow developers more flexibility in making content that can also be on smartphones and tablets.
Hell...it's about time.

Mashing

If true, that's a true game changer for Nintendo. This show they are definitely opening up to new thinking, which is what I've wanted to see for years.

vareon

iOS is based on Darwin, as is OS X. Both OSes are entirely different, but based on the same core, and are not directly compatible. Core current Xbox One OS is based on what makes Windows tick, but is not directly compatible with windows.

See what I mean?

Oh, I know. I meam to people who suddenly claims "this is the end of Nintendo as we know it" thingny.

Faustek

We're going to lose the Nintendo we know today if true. Let's hope it will be for the better.

ok I'm singling you out because I have seen your posts before and I actually liked some of your input. Just a FYI so here goes.

How come? I don't see this changing anything. It's not like they'll be calling Google and trying to hit them up for Android O or whatever it will be called when they are ready to reveal the hardware.

IGN broke Donkey Kong Country Returns.

They're a great source every 3000 days.

heh, well.. I'll give you that ^^
But remember even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days ^^

FZZ

Banned
Why are people trying to dispute that the title it isn't correct lmao?

Also Android OS =/= Ouya. Jesus christ.

For all we know its either Nintendo's next handheld and having a backlog of mobile games is fucking ace. Or it's for their next home console and it'll be able to do so much more than Nintendo's current OS.

This isn't a bad thing at all.

And yeah, I'm convinced more than ever now that NX is a handheld.

I am convinced that NX is actually both a home console AND a handheld.
Basically a direct evolution from the Wii U, where the Gamepad can now be used as a standalone device (with less processing power than the actual console) to play games on the go. Or something like that.

I'll let Nintendo surprise me at next year's E3.
Should be pretty interesting.

Sounds smart for long-term survival in a world dominated by mobile OSes and hardware especially when there isn't exactly a flood of developer movement toward the traditional console or PC platforms.

BiggNife

The worry might come from this + Nintendo's recent partnership with DeNA about just what kind of games/console Nintendo is focusing on in the future.

I get that people go into panic mode as soon as Nintendo and something mobile related are mentioned in the same sentence, but the fact is that "Nintendo's new system will use a form of Android" does not mean "Nintendo's new system is going to be a console to play mobile games on a TV." It is way to early to freak out over something we literally know nothing about at the moment.

co1onel

I think people are being a little too pre judgmental. We don't have any idea what Nintendo will do with android, and I'm positive it won't just be a reskin.

from a hardware standpoint they could do a ton of different things, I just wonder if this will also be a sign of where their gaming business will go, especially for a handheld. That's the interesting/concerning (depending on where you stand) part is for me. Will this be a Nintendo branded tablet? How will that affect their storefront/pricing models?

Top Bottom