• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces renewed Trademark for "Killer Instinct"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I doubt all of this. In the original Xbox's time frame, MS was publishing exclusive fighting games all the time! DOA3, DOAU, Tao Feng, Kakuto Chojin, etc.

Even though fighters are still fairly hot, MS seemingly refuses to do anything with the genre, I think they are firmly entrenched in the FPS camp for multiplayer, and I don't see them ever diverting resources to a fighter ever again.

Maybe not. But it's not like what they tried last gen worked out too well. Instead of trying to fight for first, fighting for a strong second, or to grow their niche into being a bigger one, might be a good plan, though.

They seem to have a good realtionship with devs that Sony either won't accept, or are too expensive for, in JP. It also seems easier for their downloads to target a worldwide market, than it is on PSN (or even Wii, by the amount of JP exclusive downloadables).

SAB: At this point, microsoft would be completely stupid to go after the Japanese market. The 360 ship has sailed and it came up with basically nothing... Their best bet is to cut their loses with 360 and for 720 buy their way into a major exclusive... even if it's just a timed one. Spend a few mill to secure Final Fantasy 15 as exclusive for 6 months in Japan and suddenly they'll look a lot more interesting.

Well, what I'm saying, is that only last for so long. Getting exlusive Tales of... releases, exclusive FF bundles and all... it causes a sales surge, but not one that seems to maintain. However, sales of the smaller titles seem to be fairly strong in 360; those kind of loyal customers are almost guarenteed to come back for the next game in their favorite genres.

I know Namco at least mentioned that makng a 360 timed exclusive, and then using that money to make a PS3 version later down the road, was a strat that worked well for them. Maybe MS JP would like to stop "funding the competitions games", by instead just assisting studios that can't do much more than make games for a single system? Would be a good way to get a stable of "loyal" partners, who would take the money you assist them with, and funnel it right back into your own interest.

---

Anywho, not trying to De-Rail the thread, though. MS's push onto having games under Smartglass, the abundance of small devs working with them on "why would you put THAT on Xbox?" projects, and the appearance of this trademark, all just make me wonder if they might be focusing a bit different in the future...

Santiako

This thread already delivered the goods!!
I have more goods
ibsrSeD0Sle6sb.jpg

Thing is, a good deal of people who worked on Street Fighter 2 weren't Capcom employees for 3 or 4... so Microsoft could theoretically get people who loved KI to put together a new one.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
What I'd like to see is an emulated collection of the two arcade games on XBLA, that would encourage me to buy a 360 instantly.

jaypah

After all of the "FUCK YOU M$!!" in the thread with the interview with the ex-Rare guy I expected people to be excited in this thread. I mean, MS got the full wrath in that thread and that wasn't even a month ago. I was initially surprised at the reactions in here but then I remembered that I was on the jaded ass cynical internet where nothing's good and everything is the shittiest thing ever. Sometimes it's almost depressing trying to follow video game news.

Thing is, a good deal of people who worked on Street Fighter 2 weren't Capcom employees for 3 or 4... so Microsoft could theoretically get people who loved KI to put together a new one.

Yeah, they could totally outsource it to a group like Team Ninja or some other. At least with Team Ninja, the breast physics would be correct.

zeioIIDX

That B. Orchid gif *drool...* I was JUST talking about Killer Instinct with my little brother last night, we were laughing about the whole "C-c-c-combo Breaker!" thing. We used to play the hell out of KI on the SNES back in the day. I still remember when my dad gave me the choice between Demon's Crest and Killer Instinct. I really wanted Demon's Crest but I knew he wanted KI so I said I wanted it too :/ Would be sweet if an HD remake was released in anticipation of a new entry to the series!

itsgreen

How is this even thread worthy...

Even if MS isn't planning to do anything with KI in the next 15 years, they would still renew the trademark.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How is this even thread worthy...

Even if MS isn't planning to do anything with KI in the next 15 years, they would still renew the trademark.

MS announced it

it's like a way of saying "We are going to do something with this, we swear"

DR2K

Banned
7 more years of broken promises and vague hints ultimately leading up to the eventual kinect title.

Khezu

Not a huge fan of KI to be honest, but I would totally buy an arcade perfect port on XBLA.

KI was kind of a weird game, and I'm pretty sure I never figured out how to actually play it right.

shuri

Banned
Killer Instinct had a MASSIVE, MASSIVE impact back then. Fighting games were, at the time, getting a bit stale, and suddenly out of nowhere KI came out. The graphics were out of this world at the time. It was like some voodoo magic

Mortal Kombat 2 was getting old since the home port was pretty damn good; Virtua Fighter looked amazing but was already also feeling old; and Super Street Fighter 2 got a limp reception at the time in the arcades. All good competent games, but in late 1994-early 1995, there was a downtime for arcade fighters. Killer Instinct came out of nowhere with those graphics, that original (at the time) combo system; that voice work, that soundtrack. The design style is very dated now but back then it was very cutting edge, very cool. You also have to remember that this came out during the early era of CGI graphics, so having a videogame using that kind of tech was very very cool.

The characters also had many special moves and combo options, which felt very fresh compared to MK2. It felt (at the time) like it was very complete and elaborate.

Of course now its easy to discard the game as a relic NOW, but the game was incredible for that era.

shuri

Banned
No. No it did not. People were too busy playing MK II or NBA Jam when KI came out. Hell, Super Street Fighter 2 was still killin the arcades from what I remember.
Super was like a year old by then, MK2 was out on consoles by the time KI came out. I remember playing KI for the first time around Christmas 1994 or so.

No. No it did not. People were too busy playing MK II or NBA Jam when KI came out. Hell, Super Street Fighter 2 was still killin the arcades from what I remember.

Hate to say it but it was a big game where I lived. Maybe not among the competitive scene, but there were always people at the machine and there was a lot of interest in the game itself. The SNES version sold very well.

The sequel, though, was released right when arcades were starting to wane in the U.S.

Bleepey

Killer Instinct is the only other game outside of Street Fighter 2 that I've seen absolutely dominating peoples attention in arcades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMLHHxV0vWU

I used to stare at KI machines just for the intro

KI had music that rivaled SF2's awesomeness. It was like the bastard lovechild of MK and SF and it was all parts awesome. In the days where 4 hit combos were amazing, this game offered 30+ hit combos. Oh and Cinder was a broken bastard only person who had a chance against Idol. What a cheap bastard. i could only beat him with Cinder, jago and Orcbid

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I ignored this thread until I noticed the "announces" part. That definitely makes me curious.

adelante

Gaddamn the gifs...

Anyway, more companies should do this. Just announce to the whole world that they've trademarked something,that may or may not be of great significance.

Mudkips

Banned
Killer Instinct was never that good of a game.

You're right. It's not good. It's fanfuckingtastic.

If we get another KI game, I hope we get another Killer Cuts CD.

Everyone flocked to the KI machines. It was all about the combos.

Top Bottom