• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonV

I'm genuinely embarrassed for you. Your responses are so terrible they make me look bad by responding to them.

Generally when people are provided with evidence to the contrary they consider it. You just keep on doubling down in your little ideological bunker, which is impenetrable to facts. What's it like being identical to a climate change denier?

I hate to pull this one, but how old are you?

You are making yourself look terrible all by yourself.

bomma_man

This thread:

2GNCdQx.jpg

Should probably stop using retarded as a pejorative too dude, not a good look on this forum.

darkace

Banned
What's it like being a ScoMo fanboy?
Have you left school yet?
What do you actually do for a living?
How do you get so far removed from reality?
Do your parents know you're up past your bedtime?

Spicy.

I hate to pull this one, but how old are you?

You are making yourself look terrible all by yourself.

For doing what? Being annoyed that somebody is arguing against facts using nothing but ideological priors? The dude hasn't presented any evidence whatsoever. I showed nearly a dozen papers for my position, and his counter is 'nuh-uh'. It's just awful.

Rubixcuba

Banned
We locked the AusGafPoli thread for this? Boourns.

How do we think the first week went? Meh? Not a whole lot of traction for either party.

JC Sera

How do we think the first week went? Meh? Not a whole lot of traction for either party.
feels like turnbull is slowly being painted as a typical member of his party, when earlier he was the lefty outlier. The panama paper and house joke thing hasn't helped.
the backburner has been having a field week.

Too hard to tell without any reasonable polling. Political polling in Australia is pretty lousy plus the nature of the process (PV and single member electorates) makes non-targeted polling useless. The only people who really know whats going on are the party number crunchers.
As to the week the Penrith walk was the only misstep.
The secret debate is just about irrelevant. People were watching football, not Sky News.
The Peta Credlin slurs don't really mean anything in the greater scheme of things.
The Alan Jones v Mike Baird stoush won't affect it.
No great missteps but I don't think people will really start to get interested until we get to week 5 or 6. It is funny however that the budget isn't helping the LNP one bit.

Wait, they've started yet? Someone should tell Chris Pyne, he thinks he still the minister and the caretaker period hasn't started yet.

Maybe Shorten by a Man-boob but only really because he has performed above the meager expectations we all have for him. No score, draw?

Shorten winning a Sky News debate pretty decisively was unexpected. And being so late it indicates nothing he did in the week soured people on him. So a good week for Shorten I think.

That may not be a good thing for him though, Turnbull will almost certainly be working out where things went wrong and adjusting spin and positions appropriately.

ETA - Technically writs aren't issued until Monday, so the Caretaker mode hasn't begin.

Shorten winning a Sky News debate pretty decisively was unexpected. And being so late it indicates nothing he did in the week soured people on him. So a good week for Shorten I think.

That may not be a good thing for him though, Turnbull will almost certainly be working out where things went wrong and adjusting spin and positions appropriately.

ETA - Technically writs aren't issued until Monday, so the Caretaker mode hasn't begin.

PM&C guidance is that it starts when the GG dissolves the house.

Caretaker starts when the Governor dissolves parliament. Though to be honest half the stuff is just convention anyway!

portrait.jpg

Quite a slick picture of Mal on that website, a little concerned how far to the right he is though. Needs to move a little to the left methinks.

^^^ lol

And it may sound callous to be making fun of the MH17 victim's dad situation but boy did Malcolm sound completely disingenuous with his "cheer up, cheer up" consoling. I assumed the dad was a plant at first but then Malcom's reaction was just cringeworthy.

Caretaker starts when the Governor dissolves parliament. Though to be honest half the stuff is just convention anyway!

portrait.jpg

Quite a slick picture of Mal on that website, a little concerned how far to the right he is though. Needs to move a little to the left methinks.

Thanks for the correction.

I believe it's all convention, Rudd blatantly ignored it on at least one issue. I believe Howard did in 2000 as well. Its not like it could be legislated meaningfully anyway, in the case of things which solely effect the House the government could almost always suspend it (since majority by definition) and for things that effect the Senate as well they either have to deal with a convention backed Senate obstructing them or are in a position to suspend it anyway. You'd have to put Caretaker conventions in the Constitution to make them meaningful.

Arksy

Coalition going on the attack today with fear and safety.

Jobs and growth, but fear fear fear.

Trying to get Bill Shorten to disendorse a candidate who worked for an lawyers organisation that in 2009 campaigned against police powers to detain suspects without charge. Making that into Labor being bad with national security.
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/05/14/13/38/candidate-toes-line-on-terror-shorten

Shit like that makes me (and probably about 70% of the country) more likely to vote for her than less.

Coalition going on the attack today with fear and safety.

Jobs and growth, but fear fear fear.

Trying to get Bill Shorten to disendorse a candidate who worked for an lawyers organisation that in 2009 campaigned against police powers to detain suspects without charge. Making that into Labor being bad with national security.
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/05/14/13/38/candidate-toes-line-on-terror-shorten

Except Tim Wilson, The ex-Freedom Commissioner, also criticised them last year. I imagine that will shut down this pathetic LNP dog-whistle.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/election-2016-bill-shorten-digs-up-liberal-history-to-fend-off-growing-attack-over-asylum-seeker-divisions-20160515-govfbb.html

A little more research next time George!

Edit: From Today. :)

460b62319d49dcbea80fc102fd6be95f

For those who don't know, the Western Bulldogs are from a traditional Labor area and Melbourne who they were playing it very Liberal.

Blatant double post:

Morgan:
  • Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 47.5 (-1.5) ALP 52.5 (+1.5)
  • Federal Primary Votes: L/NP 36.5 (-3.5) ALP 33 (+0.5) GRN 15.5 (+2) NXT 5 (+1)

Seems very high and pretty unlikely, but will probably still cause some havoc tomorrow. Still a bit anyone but the ALP primary wise.

#qanda tonight. Wasting our time watching it? I can't be arsed looking up the topic or the panelists.

No topic seems to be listed on the website for tonight. Judging by the questions and panelists seems to have something to do with ISIL ?

Panellists: Kate Tempest, Award-winning poet and rapper; Jean-Christophe Rufin, Co-founder, Medecins Sans Frontieres; Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Controversial Somalian feminist and author Heretic; Julian Baggini, Philosopher; and Emma Sky, Former adviser to the US military in Iraq.

I believe the panel is from the Sydney Writer's Festival tonight.

Quality candidate from the Nats in Indi (McGowen, Mirabella etc...)

Without sounding sexist, some people are rapt to have a man to vote for,”

Didn't sometime tell him never to start a sentence with: Not to sound _______ but...?

darkace

Banned
Blatant double post:

Morgan:
  • Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 47.5 (-1.5) ALP 52.5 (+1.5)
  • Federal Primary Votes: L/NP 36.5 (-3.5) ALP 33 (+0.5) GRN 15.5 (+2) NXT 5 (+1)

Seems very high and pretty unlikely, but will probably still cause some havoc tomorrow. Still a bit anyone but the ALP primary wise.

Morgan has a history of being all over the place, and over-emphasising trends in the electorate (I think it hit 64-36 LNP-ALP at the height of the carbon tax drama), it's not something I'd put too much store in. Bludger-track has movement away from the ALP since the budget, which is a trend I see continuing. I'd put money on the LNP winning without undermining from Abbott or Turnbull saying something way out of character.

How about we actually have politicians give a shit about green energy and the fact it is so profitable. If we had smart politicians in power they would have pushed green energy as the mining boom was coming to a close, instead we had Abbott claiming coal is the greatest thing to ever grace our Earth and is totally not killing our planet.

Because their buddies in mining probably have a seven figure job waiting for them when they get out of politics.

senahorse

In another question, a local renter told Mr Turnbull he would welcome a fall in house prices under Labor's proposed negative gearing wind-back.

"Being able to afford a house is quite appealing to me," he said.

Mr Turnbull said the proposal was all about raising tax.

"This is a dangerous move by Labor, it's not going to improve housing affordability," he said.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...-peta-credlin-says/ar-BBt7lEy?ocid=spartanntp

Huh? Wasn't Turnbull recently saying it would hurt house pricing?

It's not going to improve housing affordability, but it's going to lower the cost of housing. Makes sense.

Someone is going to buy up all the cheap housing and then sell/rent it for even more due to their near monopoly? (In which case Turnbull probably shouldn't be telling us about his supervillain fantasies).

darkace

Banned
It's not going to improve housing affordability, but it's going to lower the cost of housing. Makes sense.

Removing negative gearing is essentially just a tax increase. My guess is he's going for the decrease in housing prices will be offset by the decrease in disposable income.

Or it's just dumb politicking.

Probably the latter.

legend166

Removing negative gearing is essentially just a tax increase. My guess is he's going for the decrease in housing prices will be offset by the decrease in disposable income.

Or it's just dumb politicking.

Probably the latter.

I mean it's a tax increase for the people who were using it. For the rest of us it's going to be a tax cut because I won't have to pay so much in stamp duty.

darkace

Banned
I mean it's a tax increase for the people who were using it. For the rest of us it's going to be a tax cut because I won't have to pay so much in stamp duty.

It's a fairly large net tax increase. NG has very little to do with current housing prices, removing it wont save anybody much in stamp duty. Or help new home buyers much.

It's a fairly large net tax increase. NG has very little to do with current housing prices, removing it wont save anybody much in stamp duty. Or help new home buyers much.

I don't know why you think that.
Every auction I went to in the last 5 years in Sydney, and the last apartment I owned and sold, was beset by investors using NG. Take it away and they don't compete so hard or exit the market. They don't compete so hard, the prices fetched drop. What that does to rents is anyones guess and I wouldn't trust anyone who has a fixed view on that, but I don't see how anyone can state flatly that NG doesn't impact prices. If you give big incentives to people to pick property for their money, and property is limited, then it is obvious what happens and equally obvious what happens when it goes away.

Fredescu

Yep, it's difficult to buy an investment property with a view to make a profit (or break even) from rent. The highest bidder is always going to be someone buying with negative gearing in mind. Remove that and prices will dip no doubt. Whether that dip will be significant or not I have no idea.

hidys

Speaking of negative gearing.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...if-its-negatively-geared-20160517-gowys9.html

Labor frontbencher David Feeney owns an undeclared $2.31 million property, potentially placing him in "serious contempt" of the Parliament.
And the ALP power broker says he "doesn't know" if the house is negatively geared - despite Labor's proposed changes to property tax rules being a key election issue - while also admitting the renovations he claimed had prevented him from living in the home have not actually begun.

If the Greens get Liberal preferences in Batman they could very well win the seat.

darkace

Banned
I don't know why you think that.

Because I'm a fan of evidence-based beliefs rather than just thinking from my gut.

https://grattan.edu.au/report/hot-property/

The effects of reducing NG by itself aren't that much. Even combined with CGT changes it wouldn't have much of an effect.

Grattan said:
The capital gains tax discount should be reduced from 50 to 25 per cent, and negatively geared investors should no longer be allowed to deduct losses on their investments from labour income.

A smaller discount would save about $3.7 billion a year, while the change to negative gearing would raise $2 billion a year in the short term, falling to $1.6 billion as losses start to be written off against positive investment income.

The reforms would provide relief to the Budget in tough times and slightly improve housing affordability with little impact on how much people save. Property prices would be up to two per cent lower under these reforms than they would be otherwise.

Our housing prices are largely driven by supply factors.

Fredescu

Because I'm a fan of evidence-based beliefs rather than just thinking from my gut.

Your article says it removing it "won't cause a collapse" but recommendeds it be phased in over time to prevent one. Clearly prices are related to NG for them to make that recommendation.

The infrastructure and manufacturing promises are localised second hand stimulation (by putting money into the economy) but with the acceptance of the tightening the belt mantra (and desire for tax cuts on the Liberal side), you're not going to see any direct stimulus (apart from maybe the small business instant tax deduction for goods).

darkace

Banned

There isn't much the Australian government or the RBA can do.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/ben-bernanke/posts/2015/03/30-why-interest-rates-so-low

Bernanke said:
Larry’s proposed solution to this dilemma is to turn to fiscal policy—specifically, to rely on public infrastructure spending to achieve full employment. I agree that increased infrastructure spending would be a good thing in today’s economy. But if we are really in a regime of persistent stagnation, more fiscal spending might not be an entirely satisfactory long-term response either, because the government’s debt is already very large by historical standards and because public investment too will eventually exhibit diminishing returns.

This is from the US, but it can largely be drawn across to Australia. Australia doesn't have many infrastructure investments with a positive return (other than maybe NBN), although our debt is lower.

Bernanke also says later he thinks that it's largely driven by policies in Germany, which has a current accounts surplus so massive it is depressing demand globally, and the depression in the wider Eurozone.

Your article says it removing it "won't cause a collapse" but recommendeds it be phased in over time to prevent one. Clearly prices are related to NG for them to make that recommendation.

It says prices will fall about 2% right there. Obviously government policies can cause problems in the markets, especially changes. Which is why any change should be phased in. But don't expect these changes to have a large impact.

Fredescu

2% of $500k is $10k. I wouldn't describe my assets devaluing by tens of thousands of dollars as "very little" but that's a boring language interpretation argument, so I'll leave it at that.

D.Lo

Lol at all the arguments against clawing back negative gearing and the even more ridiculous CGT discount. It's ludicrous that you get a tax break for losing money on an investment in something as non-productive as property.

It's only a tax increase if you're rich enough to have the borrowing power to buy multi hundred thousand dollar investments. And if you are rich enough to borrow and invest, the government should incentivise something that doesn't make other people modern day serfs.

Removing NG and CGT exemption is only a tax increase on the 'winnings' of investments that create a two tier society. For the 91% of Australian tax payers who do not negative gear property, there will be no tax increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom