• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions closed beta starts on April 6

I'm surprised with how good it is. It combines the super solid arena gameplay and good level design of Quake 3 with just the right amount of character differentiation. It isn't like Battleborn or Overwatch with very different characters, and of course the weapons are the same (taken from the arena, as a normal Quake game), but the small differences are enough twist for this type of game.

Every character has their own combination of health/max armor/speed, a passive effect that usually is related to movement (Ranger can rocket jump more because he has a 20% self damage reduction, Anarki has more air control, Visor can strafe jump, Nyx can wall jump, etc) and a single active ability, with a longish (30 secs) cooldown, like acid spit or ghost walk or a front shield).

Some people will worry because the possible effect on balance, but modern games just take the stats of all the players, and they can easily discriminate by time played, skill, and a bunch of factors, knowing exactly how OP or UP is a character in every skill level; in other words if they are proactive it won't be hard to have a fairly balanced game.

Download climbed to 15% then took a nosedive to snail's pace. Restarted app and it started over and similar behavior. I think I'm downloading at like 100k/s at this point. Time just keeps going up indefinitely.

This is not a good first experience with Bethesda Launcher.

edit: now down to around 39k/s. On a 150 down connection. Lol.

Download climbed to 15% then took a nosedive to snail's pace. Restarted app and it started over and similar behavior. I think I'm downloading at like 100k/s at this point. Time just keeps going up indefinitely.

This is not a good first experience with Bethesda Launcher.

edit: now down to around 39k/s. On a 150 down connection. Lol.

Fixed by installing Bethesda Launcher on same disk as game files.

Downloading consistently now.

Nokterian

I'm surprised with how good it is. It combines the super solid arena gameplay and good level design of Quake 3 with just the right amount of character differentiation. It isn't like Battleborn or Overwatch with very different characters, and of course the weapons are the same (taken from the arena, as a normal Quake game), but the small differences are enough twist for this type of game.

Every character has their own combination of health/max armor/speed, a passive effect that usually is related to movement (Ranger can rocket jump more because he has a 20% self damage reduction, Anarki has more air control, Visor can strafe jump, Nyx can wall jump, etc) and a single active ability, with a longish (30 secs) cooldown, like acid spit or ghost walk or a front shield).

Some people will worry because the possible effect on balance, but modern games just take the stats of all the players, and they can easily discriminate by time played, skill, and a bunch of factors, knowing exactly how OP or UP is a character in every skill level; in other words if they are proactive it won't be hard to have a fairly balanced game.

Dude..

You are under NDA when you accepted the inviting.

Kadin

Apparently the below is a quote from one of the devs. Basically any discussion about the game cannot be done anywhere except on their official forums. From what I can see, this has not changed as of yet, only a change has happened for the media.

"This is more like a closed technical test - we're focusing on backend stability and we expect some issues, we just need to scale up number of people active over time so we can gain confidence in our systems.

Seeing the excitement for QC is super encouraging for us but I also know that it's disappointing to not get an invite immediately. If you did get an invite, don't share anything outside of the private Bethesda forums. Please - BE COOL - otherwise we can't do this in future and that'll hurt our ability to make sure things work before we launch.

If you didn't get an invite, know that we intend to scale up the invites and I wouldn't worry about whether you'll eventually get in. Hopefully the servers don't immediately catch on fire tomorrow and we can start scale up rapidly to find issues, but, the point of this test is to find out. Sorry I can't be more specific than that yet."

Nokterian

What is in that post that breaks the NDA? Saying it's good? There's public info out there about the champions, so him going over them doesn't break it.

I will live with the consequences of my actions...

never mind that everything I said could be said without even playing the game and just looking at the official videos...

Apparently the below is a quote from one of the devs. Basically any discussion about the game cannot be done anywhere except on their official forums. From what I can see, this has not changed as of yet, only a change has happened for the media.

There is your answer like i said read the NDA before accepting it even said in big letters when you are playing. Is it so hard to read these days of not knowing what NDA means?

bee

There is your answer like i said read the NDA before accepting it even said in big letters when you are playing. Is it so hard to read these days of not knowing what NDA means?

they've handled this aspect really poorly imo, you can just watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1KVl4-X0fI and learn so much from it but can't discuss it cos your in the beta??

the video clearly shows different starting health/armour, different movement styles and speed for each character, a way to stay lower at the top of jumpads (1.58), shows super machine gun doing 9 then 12 dmg zoomed, shows rail is 80dmg and 100 zoomed etc etc, sure have an nda but they can't expect people to not discuss what they themselves have released into the public and this is just one video, the character and map videos show a lot more

f0rk

The press NDA is up and they're just playing the normal beta. The policy doesn't really make sense.

This guy is doing tutorials and has gone through all the weapons

Now I'm mainly interested in how much content they have waiting with maps (there is a huge amount of history to draw from so hopefully they have more than a standard modern fps) and modes (CTF, RA/CA). The basic gameplay looks good although it's going to be weird not having opponents all look like green Keel. Not sure about the duel format right now considering that would be the main esport mode

Kadin

Yeah I don't quite understand why the general public that's playing can't discuss it openly yet videos like this are fine even though they're labeled as media. I assume the video must be seen and approved by Bethesda before hand?

they've handled this aspect really poorly imo, you can just watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1KVl4-X0fI and learn so much from it but can't discuss it cos your in the beta??

the video clearly shows different starting health/armour, different movement styles and speed for each character, a way to stay lower at the top of jumpads (1.58), shows super machine gun doing 9 then 12 dmg zoomed, shows rail is 80dmg and 100 zoomed etc etc, sure have an nda but they can't expect people to not discuss what they themselves have released into the public and this is just one video, the character and map videos show a lot more

Not just videos, but each champion and map has their own entry on the home site with stats and lore and all.

The Flash

Banned
"Hope you fellas haven't been discussing the details of the beta too much..."

zZ6hNsn.jpg

Mutant

Man, the core gameplay is pretty good but it's surrounded by some real bad stuff.

For the love of god, take out the quests. I don't want to have a teammate throw a match because he needs 3 buzzsaw kills. >_<

Kahoona

Does the Bethesda launcher suck for anyone else? I've been downloading this game since Saturday morning and it only has like 2gb done...

Top Bottom