• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

Kebiinu

Banned
I feel like the demo veered some potential buyers away, as the full game has much more content than your typical fighter. And the game really does play like a dream. Especially once you start getting into the nuances of each fighter, this game really rewards you for your time invested.

For those of you just jumping in, here's some tips.

You can change the controls to suit your playstyle. For example, I moved my block from bumper to trigger, and made it so the R1 button activates Burst. If you're not a fan of two button grabs/charge, you can rearrange those devices to a single button, too.

Stick with one Pokemon you want to work with. I'm not saying ONLY play with one Pokemon, but it really is helpful to hone in on a consistent character that suits your needs. As each character has different gimmicks, attacks, and movement speeds; it all plays into each other. So you're going to want to know exactly what move does what, and there are a lot. So hit that Training Mode and figure out what does what. The movelist has fine print for every single attack, and they even recommend opportunities to use certain moves given the situation.

Don't worry about the projectile spam. In the early ranks online, you encounter this a lot. Don't be discouraged, use this as an opportunity to understand how projectiles work, and what options you have to counter them. Some Pokemon can jump over most projectiles, some can duck underneath, some can cancel with their own projectiles. Knowing how to combat projectiles will allow you to evolve into the next level of the meta, which leads me to...

Counter Dash Cancel. Shit is essential, and important. If you're just jumping in, they have a nice tutorial about it in the Training Mode, don't stress about it too much as it's a technique that comes to you the more you play. Pokken is heavy on rock, paper, scissors gameplay; and you're gonna fight opponents who work around your long and close range attacks with their counter moves. And you'll start to do the same, as you realize how much of a window you have to counter. It's a LONG time, and you can cancel into a dash at anytime.

In short, take these early frustrations as early lessons. All the Pokemon are viable, with no single Pokemon completely dominating the roster. So if you find yourself struggling, play to your faults. Fighting games in general comes down to memory. You could kick ass against Pikachu, but a Gardevoir with range, will suddenly fuck your shit up. All part of the experience. The more you learn the roster, the better you'll play.

And of course, the more you learn your Pokemon of choice, the more options you'll have in the long run.

Sorry for rambling, I'm very happy with this game. Also joined the GAF room.

I wish I had just waited for this game instead of getting Arms. This is a lot more fun as a fighting game. I'm really impressed how much work went into the world building. The stages are something else.

Smasher89

Saw a tournament streamed this weekend, top used characters was mewtwo, weavile and suicune (except the winning player had it as main, never used it and was playing mewtwo).

Nelo Ice

Banned
I am still salty I have to wait till Wed/Thurs for my copy. Never preordering from Walmart again even if they have cheaper prices. Since their site/store operations are separate they're shipping another copy to the store rather than just letting me buy a copy the store already has in stock. It is so stupid that I have to wait a week for my game when anyone who didn't preorder could just walk in and buy it at launch.

Cyanity

Banned
Roommate brought this game home today. Got a few games in, but I can tell there's gonna be a bit of a learning curve. Like, I get the attack x grab x counter RPS system, but have no idea how to combo out of any of them.

I didn't plan to get this, but I might go pick this up this weekend.

I tired out the demo with my 3 yr old son, and he was really getting into it. He's been getting more and more interested in the games I am playing, but usually loses interest immediately.

We spent about an hour playing the demo and he was getting really into it.
Probably gonna take him to the store and pick it up this weekend.

Kebiinu

Banned
Roommate brought this game home today. Got a few games in, but I can tell there's gonna be a bit of a learning curve. Like, I get the attack x grab x counter RPS system, but have no idea how to combo out of any of them.

Try Pikachu or Lucario if you wanna just dabble with the system, they're user friendly af. You can mash the Y button to do a guaranteed combo. X button also has a heavy hits that link. You can almost always link said attacks into a Pokemon Move (A), to finish off strong. Counter; you can utilize to bait or nullify attacks. Pikachu has a very heavy close range hit, and Lucario's is pretty safe.

Otherwise, just experiment with whomever, lol. If you wanna try some long range characters, Braixen is a great place to start, too.

Neiteio

As someone who likes watching others play, I really love the replay mode. You can search for matches featuring the Pokémon matchups you want, in any of the online modes, and even save your favorites to watch again later. I saved an epic Scizor vs. Empoleon fight in the snow dojo, and a Scepter vs. Chandelure fight in the fall town. I learn a lot watching others.

BiggNife

Really irked that the game isn't at least 1:1 with the arcade original visually. Bare minimum, geez...

It's unfortunate, but I really get the impression that they wanted to get this out as soon as possible for the holiday season and porting the Wii U visuals was probably way easier than arcade.

Neiteio

I've probably only played for a couple hours at this point, so I'm still learning the ropes, but it's amazing how much depth there is. Like it all feels intuitive enough when it's taught to you in tutorials, but then putting it into practice against opponents with their overwhelming combos and bullet spam is something else. It seems like you really need to block at length sometimes, since some enemy combos are just so long. Then you need to read your opponent and respond with the right move. That might seem like Fighting Game 101, but it feels especially deliberative here.

I'm mainly just playing through the Ferrum League and single battles against Easy and Normal opponents; I did a Team Battle against a Hard opponent and it came down to both our last Pokemon, where I lost.

With this game, you really just have to learn your Pokemon's moves, which is why I recommend picking a character and sticking with them for a while. The inputs are VERY simple, and no more complicated than Smash Bros — just a button and a direction. However, the direction changes based on the camera (2D vs 3D), and there are a LOT of moves. It's really exciting how each character is like a game unto themselves.

I've mainly played Braixen so far, but last night I tried Scizor, and whoa that's a fun fighter. I imagine the "whoa, that's a fun fighter" revelation will occur with many of these fighters, lol.

The game itself is a very robust package. Tons of options, stats, quality-of-life features and ways to get better, i.e. tutorials and online replays, etc. Also some nice progression loops like leveling up your main and applying skills points. Also customizing your avatar, which is surprisingly addictive. And the game has a nice sense of place with its world map and all the cameo appearances and references in each stage, as well as a comforting atmosphere with your advisor Nia (who herself can be customized). The map music is nice and chill.

Griss

It really pays to go back to practice mode every so often. I was really struggling as Scizor in the field phase. So I went back to practice mode and realised that I had completely forgotten that his back+Y (charge) mode is a devastating mid-range attack with huge sweep that switches phase. Totally revelatory to have that tool at my disposal.

As for Scizor, he doesn't flow in the way Blaziken or Lucario do, but the swords dance mechanic is just too much damn fun to switch.

Loving the daily challenges too. Don't think I would ever have used Gengar without them, so it was fun to play as him for a bit. He has to be the hardest character to use, right? Also, do we all get the same daily challenges?

Beat Shadow Mewtwo last night. Had him down to 220hp (from 3,000) two times in a row when he just decided to go ape on me. I'm pretty sure that that fight reduces in difficulty after you lose three times, I would never have gotten by it otherwise. I remember having even more trouble with it in the Wii U version. Also, this time around I had Mewtwo down to 20hp the very first time I fought him - what happens if you win that battle? (Seeing as it seems set up for you to lose but progress anyway)

Speaking of which, in the first league I fought against a dude who had the tag "my boyfriend is a Pokemon trainer" or something to that effect. Assuming it wasn't something that slipped through the cracks but instead was just Nintendo casually adding an LGBT character, kudos to them.

Oooh, I feel like it might be random - but this is interesting.

Kebiinu

Banned
That Gengar daily challenge was tough, Gengar was someone I always wanted to jump into with, but was too intimidated by his tricky play. High level Gengar are an absolute nightmare, however.

I've been fooling around with Darkrai and holy shit does he have a LOT of properties to his attacks. I really, really like him and his trap based gameplay.

In 2D mode, he plays like Lambda from BlazBlue, with the way his rifts work. And his forward A triggers a dimension shift, that switch up his attacks even more. I spent a lot of time in training mode just fooling around and going through his moveset. Then took it online and fought some healthy competition.

This game, man. Glad y'all are enjoying it. Make sure to join Pokegaf as well!

JDdelphin

I wish I had just waited for this game instead of getting Arms. This is a lot more fun as a fighting game. I'm really impressed how much work went into the world building. The stages are something else.

Totally agree.

Granted, ARMS is something totally new and it's a different take on the genre but it didn't really click with me.

Maybe when they add more content or something I'll go back but yikes- the 'unlock process' in arms is ASS.
I think that playing Pokken for 2 hours had me unlocking things and feeling like I've progressed more than a full week or playing ARMS...
-and the unlocks in pokken are all dumb and cosmetic, while the unlocks in ARMS can be pretty damn important.

If you don't know: For a variety of ARMS for each character you need to get a ton of coins just to play a minigame to MAYBE win a random one. Wtf.
Don't add 'replay value' that way.

(And also unlocking 5 items per day using various amiibo in pokken is pretty great too)

Neiteio

Totally agree.

Granted, ARMS is something totally new and it's a different take on the genre but it didn't really click with me.

Maybe when they add more content or something I'll go back but yikes- the 'unlock process' in arms is ASS.
I think that playing Pokken for 2 hours had me unlocking things and feeling like I've progressed more than a full week or playing ARMS...
-and the unlocks in pokken are all dumb and cosmetic, while the unlocks in ARMS can be pretty damn important.

If you don't know: For a variety of ARMS for each character you need to get a ton of coins just to play a minigame to MAYBE win a random one. Wtf.

(And also unlocking 5 items per day using various amiibo in pokken is pretty great too)
I usually unlock about nine arms in a 100-coin session of the ARMS Getter, but I agree they should dramatically cut the coin cost.

Kebiinu

Banned
I unlocked all of Ribbon Girls ARMS and nearing a few others, I didn't mind the grind because you get coins for ranked, which I frequented. The higher you go, the more coins you garner per win. A lot of the ARMS are viable, but I do admit being irritated, when I had yet to unlock the birds for Ribbon Girl...

At the end of the day though, Pokken does it much better. And the customization is lowkey addictive af, lol.

.... I'll just scroll back and find it

Ok joined pokegaf, seems there are only 8 people in there? How do groups work exactly, what's the benefit of having groups in the game now?

RomanceDawn

.... I'll just scroll back and find it

Ok joined pokegaf, seems there are only 8 people in there? How do groups work exactly, what's the benefit of having groups in the game now?

There are only 8 of us now witch is too bad but it will grow. Every time I turn on the game I jump in the group and sit idle for a bit on the off chance that one of you 7 would be there.

For me it's good because there is less pressure when you don't have to worry about your ranking or main friendly score(unless thats the point of the group) and when you only want to play with specific people for specific reasons.

I made a group for only my friend and I so we can just practice different moves, counter dash cancel, etc. And then there are groups that are labeled specifically for beginners, intermediate, adv, and so on. I use Empoleon in my ranked matches but my Garchomp is garbage so I train in that group with newer folks and usually don't have to worry about a ringer.

Sure a really good person can jump in and stomp everyone but what for? They learn nothing and probably get very little satisfaction out of it. When I'm feeling daring I jump in the advanced groups and proceed to get stomped and I like it.

Random friendlies and ranked are fun cause you never know what you are going to get, even within your level, but with Groups you have a general idea what to expect. When you know what to expect especially if its a beginners room you can work and train with characters you are no good at with real people and no real fear(I believe anyway) of lowering those dumb win percentages.

patchday

Totally agree.

Wait- ARMS has random loot? eww yuck thanks for the heads up will steer clear

RomanceDawn

Im in our Group fighting CPU's right now if anyone is catches this post in the next 10 minutes or so.

I feel like I really get this game now and now that I have a safe space(ugh) to practice without worrying about stupid scores that mean nothing I'm noticing my skill improve every time I turn on the game.

Lingitiz

I'm not really grasping the fighting system all too much. Getting bodied in every friendly match online. Definitely need to put time into training.

Neiteio

Not as major story npc fights, as far as I can tell, but the new Pokemon appear in tourney matches. I've fought quite a lot of Croagunk.
It's just nice to hear the new characters are in the story mode, adding variety. Been through the green and blue leagues so far.

I think I'm hooked on this game. Played more single-player tonight and then watched online replays. I'm perfectly content to fight the CPU and just learn the moves of each character.

The crunchy pause when a phase shift occurs is so satisfying. And burst attacks might be my favorite super moves in a fighting game.

Swear to god it's just me and one other dude in the beginner's group. We played each other 10 times in a row, mostly because he'd refuse to rematch and waste both of our time, lol.

Sucks because I like playing the same person over and over as it really helps learn the game. He nearly perfected me on Darkrai our first match, but I started to learn the matchup quickly and nearly beat him many times. Was fun.

Griss

How do you recover HP in a match? One of these panels says 'recover 180hp during a round' and I have no idea how to even set about doing that.

Is there any penalty for using the key to unlock this last panel?

Also, was on a horrible losing streak today. I thought the problem was Scizor so I went back to my old reliable Blaziken and still got owned. The issue was just me playing like crap. Ugh. Also, grinding through the Chroma league isn't a huge amount of fun. The story's already over by this point...

How do you recover HP in a match? One of these panels says 'recover 180hp during a round' and I have no idea how to even set about doing that.
Whenever you activate Synergy Burst you gain a portion of recoverable HP. Recoverable HP is designated by the dark green part of your health bar.

Some support Pokemon do this as well, like Cresselia.

activating synergy burst, causing a phase shift or using a assist that recovers hp

also some pokemon have moves that let them recover some hp like shadow mewtwo

LaNaranja

Wait- ARMS has random loot? eww yuck thanks for the heads up will steer clear

ARMS is currently my game of the year and I love love love the character design, soundtrack and gameplay but that loot stuff is really poorly done, mostly because of how slowly currency is handed out and how much it costs to get (random) stuff. The lack of any kind of real single player beyond the arcade mode also sucks. That said, as a multiplayer game it is fantastic. I love the party mode in ARMS which has you cycling through game modes with people in your lobby, fighting in standard battles, team battles, battle royals, coop boss fights, volleyball, basketball, and break the target stuff. It is basically the fighting game equivalent of the multiplayer in Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

Pokken on the other hand is pretty damn addictive as a single player game with leveling up your characters, going through the leagues, completing the challenges, unlocking titles, and customizing your avatar. The single player challenges are never difficult or frustrating which means progress is pretty consistent, and characters level up at a steady clip. It has some really solid hooks without even getting into the multiplayer.

drkOne

Pokken on the other hand is pretty damn addictive as a single player game with leveling up your characters, going through the leagues, completing the challenges, unlocking titles, and customizing your avatar. The single player challenges are never difficult or frustrating which means progress is pretty consistent, and characters level up at a steady clip. It has some really solid hooks without even getting into the multiplayer.

Came here to figure out if the single player was anything more than just CPU fights like the demo

Now I’m convinced!

Came here to figure out if the single player was anything more than just CPU fights like the demo

Now I'm convinced!

You fight in 5 match circuits, bringing your league rank up to top 6 over the course of 5 or 6 runs through the circuits

Then you enter a tournament

When you win that, you get to challenge the league master

Beat them, and you can move onto a next league to do it all again

Before you move up, there's a bit of story stuff that happens involving Shadow Mewtwo

Each league also has a few optional Bingo board things that you do various challenges with, like "use the Fennekin assist 6 times," "Win 25 times" or "win two matches as Gengar"

You can also just free play random matches in a league to fill out your card if you only need one or two more matches for something. These don't effect your ranking, they're just for fun/practice.

As you move up the leagues, the CPU Pokemon variety increases and the CPUs get harder.

patchday

ARMS is currently my game of the year and I love love love the character design, soundtrack and gameplay but that loot stuff is really poorly done, mostly because of how slowly currency is handed out and how much it costs to get (random) stuff. The lack of any kind of real single player beyond the arcade mode also sucks. That said, as a multiplayer game it is fantastic. I love the party mode in ARMS which has you cycling through game modes with people in your lobby, fighting in standard battles, team battles, battle royals, coop boss fights, volleyball, basketball, and break the target stuff. It is basically the fighting game equivalent of the multiplayer in Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

yeah these random items are fine if it's just cosmetic but if they add even a small advantage I'm not OK with that at all. Do these items add some sort of advantage? Do they have RPG stats attached to them?

I hate that stuff unless there is a crafting system. At least Hearthstone has crafting system at very least so that's fine with me

Top Bottom