• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

RomanceDawn

That's it for me, thanks challenger! GGs!

Good games man! A lot of those were close!

Super-fun character. Being able to glide around by jumping and holding block is brilliant. I feel Pokken captures Charizard's essence a lot better than Smash did.

Oh yeah, Charizard in Smash is weird to me despite loving him. To me Charizard is a pokemon who is relatively fast and can fly comfortably. In Smash I wish his jumps gave him the illusion of flight like say Mewtwo or Pit, with just a tad more speed. Charizard looks like he's struggling when he jumps in Smash.

To me Charizard in Smash should resemble what people fear from a potential Ridley.

Charizard in this game walks like a giant, big, slow and tough but when he was to move boy he can surprise you with his speed!

Neiteio

Oh yeah, Charizard in Smash is weird to me despite loving him. To me Charizard is a pokemon who is relatively fast and can fly comfortably. In Smash I wish his jumps gave him the illusion of flight like say Mewtwo or Pit, with just a tad more speed. Charizard looks like he's struggling when he jumps in Smash.

To me Charizard in Smash should resemble what people fear from a potential Ridley.

Charizard in this game walks like a giant, big, slow and tough but when he was to move boy he can surprise you with his speed!
Speaking of surprisingly fast big scary monster characters, I was experimenting with Garchomp a while ago and I love his dig ability. It allows you to quickly close the gap between you and your opponent, and it appears to be pretty safe, too.

Speaking of surprisingly fast big scary monster characters, I was experimenting with Garchomp a while ago and I love his dig ability. It allows you to quickly close the gap between you and your opponent, and it appears to be pretty safe, too.
You can also cancel out of it to catch your opponent off guard and get a quick grab in.

RomanceDawn

Just be careful and mix it up. If you follow through with the dig every time its so easy to shield and punish with a grab. Otherwise it is pretty wonderful digging under projectiles when you know an opponents cool down animation won't be over before you dig em.

Cancel out of dig with a jump, shield, or press attack right away to attack way earlier than expected. Great for mixups.

In field phase I just discovered side + Y forward + A to immediately cancel into a dig and man its so useful.

Anyone else around to play? I've got a decent Empoleon and Garchomp along with a pretty bad Gengar I need to train.

you can block out of dig and jump out of dig instead of attacking. Its not a bad move but garchomps hurtbox comes out before his hitbox so you can get hit by lingering hitboxes like trap moves and beam moves.

It gets sped up during synergy burst. Its best used as a mixup, gap closer or laggy move punisher but if used multiple times it will easily be punished by a good opponent

Neiteio

I completed today's Daily Challenge with Darkrai but I have no idea what I'm doing with him. Seems like a super-technical setup character that's probably insane in the right hands.

All of the characters are exciting and interesting, but it's hard to try them when I'm having so much fun with Braixen. :3

BiggNife

I completed today's Daily Challenge with Darkrai but I have no idea what I'm doing with him. Seems like a super-technical setup character that's probably insane in the right hands.

My understanding is that your whole goal with Darkrai is to land his neutral A which triggers Nightmare Shift, at which point basically all of his attacks get buffs and he gets crazy teleport moves that make him borderline OP. But the tradeoff is that outside of Nighmare Shift he's subpar at best.

He's probably the hardest character in the game to learn but I can imagine him being crazy if someone knows what they're doing.

Kebiinu

Banned
I'm a Darkrai main, and he's definitely technical as hell. But I love it. He has so many projectiles, and his combo game is insane once you setup his gimmick, Nightmare Mode. He has two types of charges, one that puts out a clone that can launch a projectile or stun you, and another that restores HP, boosts defense and attack, and restores Synergy a bit.

Leaves him with a big ass opening though. So you gotta be particular. I'm honestly still tryna get formidable with him, as I'm still D3. I used to play Sceptile heavily, and he's probably still my favorite. But that was another character that took forever to improve with. So I'm sure I can get to a similar skill level with Darkrai.

A shame I never looked into Empoleon. I love water based characters, and he looks fun. But oh well, I can try him out later.

Love this game!

Neiteio

Chandelure is surprisingly fun to play. Spinning and swinging everywhere, with stretchy limbs and plenty of projectile spam! Plus, kudos to the design team for figuring out how to make Chandelure playable in a fighting game. One of my favorite Gen V designs realized beautifully here in a hybrid 3D/2D fighter.

Might be my secondary after Braixen. Still undecided about a third 'mon to round out my 3v3 crew. Like I said, really enjoying Garchomp and Charizard lately.

This game is amazing. It still blows me away that this sort of action, with this level of visual flair is unfolding right between my hands on a portable.

Griss

Got my ass kicked in the challenge. NOT a fan of Darkrai. Too technical to play, no easy or obvious fun combos, and honestly he doesn't look good - the 'wispy' element of his body just doesn't come across well in this visual engine. Never liked him as a pokemon anyway - which makes him pretty much the only one in the roster I don't like, the roster was phenomenally attuned to my taste in general. Replace Darkrai with Ampharos or Golem and we'd be cooking.

Is this the 7th daily challenge? I'm trying to figure out if I missed any. This is my 7th, which makes sense as the game released last Friday.

Also, the star ratings for battles are driving me insane. Get a double perfect? 3 stars. Get my ass handed to me with Darkrai? 5 stars. I have no idea what the story is with that.

Boy, the panel unlocks in the leagues sure are a grind, aren't they? Trying to get the recover hp ones but it's so hard to induce recoverable HP. I'm not even sure what makes lost HP recoverable (light green) vs just lost (dark red).

Finally got around to playing a bunch today. There's too many Switch games atm. :(

I did okay, some good matches some bad. I'm still learning matchups so it's frustrating when I lose to the same thing over and over and can't figure out how to beat it or defend against it. Frustrating in a good way, this is what I like about fighting games.

I need to learn to anti-air more with Empoleon. That way I'm not stuck using Rotom/Emolga all the time.

I also *REALLY* need to get a controller. I was okay with joycon inputs, but playing on analog I sometimes get diagonals when I don't want them. Like Empoleon's ice beam in field phase. I'll get diagonal ice beam by accident, whiff, and get screwed. Gotta find a cheap controller with a nice dpad that also works on PC.

I wish Braixen was real. :(

(Not in a creepy way, I swear)

As much as I like Braixen, I'd legitimately be worried about it as a fire hazard. You don't want to have to go out to the shops and come back to find your place in cinders because your lil fox got bored while you were away. It's quite a step up from dogs chewing stuff or pooping when left unattended :p
On the upside they seem intelligent enough that you could probably play Pokken with them :3

Neiteio

As much as I like Braixen, I'd legitimately be worried about it as a fire hazard. You don't want to have to go out to the shops and come back to find your place in cinders because your lil fox got bored while you were away. It's quite a step up from dogs chewing stuff or pooping when left unattended :p
On the upside they seem intelligent enough that you could probably play Pokken with them :3
Ah, I didn't think about the potential fire hazard. I always overlook the finer details! :-O

In my head-canon, I like to think that Pokemon can control what their fire burns. Wasn't that a plot point in the cartoon? Ash riding on a Ponyta or Rapidash, unscathed, because it trusted him and wouldn't let its fire burn him?

So yeah. Maybe a pet Braixen would work the same way in real life. I couldn't explain the science of it, but hey — the world could use a lil' more magic!

Ah, I didn't think about the potential fire hazard. I always overlook the finer details! :-O

In my head-canon, I like to think that Pokemon can control what their fire burns. Wasn't that a plot point in the cartoon? Ash riding on a Ponyta or Rapidash, unscathed, because it trusted him and wouldn't let its fire burn him?

So yeah. Maybe a pet Braixen would work the same way in real life. I couldn't explain the science of it, but hey — the world could use a lil' more magic!

Oh I wasn't even thinking of accidents, more just that despite being fairly clever, they're still animals so they're likely prone to doing stupid things if they bored, feel they don't get enough attention, get jealous or the like :3
Admittedly this would come down to how needy vs independent the individual Braixen would be as it varies wildly even within the same species of animal in terms of cats or dogs. Some cats don't care if you pay them heed or not while some are practically attached to you :p

Beats

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/913876817269989377

DK6-Hd5WsAAp9Fm.jpg

New hat and two hairstyles.

Kebiinu

Banned
Been thinking about this one. How big is the player base, any ideas? Just wondering if it'll have legs.

Playerbase is pretty consistent and solid. You'll have some repeats in the matchmaking, but I think that's due to connection speeds more than anything. Been in the top 3 on eShop, and doing well on Amazon. The Wii U community remained fairly healthy, despite releasing late into its life. With this games launch on year one, and Pokemon in its namesake, I wouldn't worry about finding healthy competition.

Still working on my Darkrai!

Sterok

For the Darkrai challenge, I found spamming Y to be the most reliable way to win. The AI isn't very good at dodging that. Not the most stylish path to victory, but that's what training is supposed to help with.

Finished ranked on a 9 fight win streak moved up to E1. So far 75% win rate with blaziken and 56% with Decideueye. Gonna work on the owl some more. But loving the both of them.

Griss

Just went 1-9 in 10 ranked matches... feels terrible man. Not sure if I'm good enough at this game to enjoy playing online. Worst thing is I almost always go three rounds and often lose from a position of being up 400hp on the opponent in a round. I just have no idea how to get a quick poke in with Scizor when I need that last hit, and his grab has shit range and whether it's lag or not it never comes out quick enough.

So I went to play some Iron League matches against the CPU and got my ass kicked there. Yeah, I suck at this game...

One thing that is awesome is that I was getting a ranked match within 3 seconds every time, and despite living in the Caribbean I had only one laggy match. This is a game where I feel like it pays to have gotten in at launch.

Does anyone have any advice on what kind of Cheering to use and support Pokemon to choose when playing Mewtwo?

Did his synergy gauge deplete when he gets attacked?

Does anyone have any advice on what kind of Cheering to use and support Pokemon to choose when playing Mewtwo?

Did his synergy gauge deplete when he gets attacked?

Mewtwo shouldnt be losing synergy gauge when hes getting hit. He consumes it though on certain attacks. Mewtwo has one of the best synergy bursts in the game with a fantastic synergy burst attack but he takes the longest to actually build it up.

Mewtwo shouldnt be losing synergy gauge when hes getting hit. He consumes it though on certain attacks. Mewtwo has one of the best synergy bursts in the game with a fantastic synergy burst attack but he takes the longest to actually build it up.

Thanks for the clarification! I would have his gauge filled and then notice I didn't have it completely full anymore when I was about to use it.

Thanks for the clarification! I would have his gauge filled and then notice I didn't have it completely full anymore when I was about to use it.

yeah! if im not mistaken its all of his pokemon moves "A button moves" that drain him. Someitmes ill see mewtwos run cresselia or jirachi to build up meter. But in all honesty they built mewtwo to have a really good neutral game and you rarely see mewtwos ever use synergy burst at higher level

I basically have the same mega gengar shots as Neiteio on my Switch, it's a shame that there's not many good snap opportunities within gameplay.
Unless the replay feature has any extra tinkering.

RomanceDawn

Just went 1-9 in 10 ranked matches... feels terrible man. Not sure if I'm good enough at this game to enjoy playing online. Worst thing is I almost always go three rounds and often lose from a position of being up 400hp on the opponent in a round. I just have no idea how to get a quick poke in with Scizor when I need that last hit, and his grab has shit range and whether it's lag or not it never comes out quick enough.

So I went to play some Iron League matches against the CPU and got my ass kicked there. Yeah, I suck at this game...

One thing that is awesome is that I was getting a ranked match within 3 seconds every time, and despite living in the Caribbean I had only one laggy match. This is a game where I feel like it pays to have gotten in at launch.

I hear you man. Same day I went on a super loosing streak on ranked. I notice myself doing the same moves over and over getting punished for it and when my opponent gets right up on me they attack and I can't think of a single quick poke or option to free myself. Super frustrating.

So I'm going to go into training once again go through the entire move list and remind myself what my Pokémon can do. Then I'm going to look up frame data and find Empoleons quickest strokes if opppbents are right on top of you.

For me it's always easier to deal with consistent losses in Groups rather than ranked or even friendly. Its just a matter of getting opppnents.

Blocked my first person. Played ranked and easily beat a charizard 2-0. Do another match same person comes up and lag city for the rematch. Only match all night that lagged.

The game really is about playing more and more with your main learning matchups and what options you have. Greatly satisfying once you can take down the majority of opponents.

patchday

what the hell? Was so close to buying this game but just read in this version the levels carry over into online/ranked. So vets have 10% advantage in the stats. Why didnt they turn this off like in my Wii U version? But I did read pros often turn off the stats since you can turn this stuff off in local play (and obviously its turned off in tourneys)

[edit] So I'll probably still get it

Top Bottom