• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

what the hell? Was so close to buying this game but just read in this version the levels carry over into online/ranked. So vets have 10% advantage in the stats. Why didnt they turn this off like in my Wii U version? But I did read pros often turn off the stats since you can turn this stuff off in local play (and obviously its turned off in tourneys)

[edit] So I'll probably still get it
Interesting didn’t know stats carried over.

The game really is about playing more and more with your main learning matchups and what options you have. Greatly satisfying once you can take down the majority of opponents.

I've also noticed that "know your enemy" feels arguably more important here than in any other fighter I've played.
The amount of small quirks a move may have attached to it, how punishable it actually is versus how it looks and so forth.

It can be really easy to lose against the cheesier tactics when it's coming from an opponent you haven't faced much.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
what the hell? Was so close to buying this game but just read in this version the levels carry over into online/ranked. So vets have 10% advantage in the stats. Why didnt they turn this off like in my Wii U version? But I did read pros often turn off the stats since you can turn this stuff off in local play (and obviously its turned off in tourneys)

[edit] So I'll probably still get it
Interesting didn’t know stats carried over.

the stats barely matter, like 100 Attack only increases your actual damage by 4 I think

Neiteio

I basically have the same mega gengar shots as Neiteio on my Switch, it's a shame that there's not many good snap opportunities within gameplay.
Unless the replay feature has any extra tinkering.
Yeah, while there are a decent number of photo ops during the intro and outro for each Pokémon, the option to disable HUD for clean mid-match screens would be great. It might be in there, but I doubt it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm normally utterly horrible at fighting games and usually give up trying after like an hour of playing lol. Trying out Weavile and I'm having a blast playing friendlies even when I'm getting wrecked. I'm 3-7. Just won a match against a Gengar in a nailbiter though. Down to round 3 and I had 1 health left while my opponent had like 200. We were in field phase and I managed to counter into duel phase and then comboed my way back for the victory. I also have no idea what I'm doing so if there's any videos or things I should watch I'd love to learn.

Did they ever mention why Greninja isn't in the game? I would have figured with his popularity he would be a shoe-in. And it can't just be the excuse that he's already in Smash when so are Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario.

RomanceDawn

I'm normally utterly horrible at fighting games and usually give up trying after like an hour of playing lol. Trying out Weavile and I'm having a blast playing friendlies even when I'm getting wrecked. I'm 3-7. Just won a match against a Gengar in a nailbiter though. Down to round 3 and I had 1 health left while my opponent had like 200. We were in field phase and I managed to counter into duel phase and then comboed my way back for the victory. I also have no idea what I'm doing so if there's any videos or things I should watch I'd love to learn.

I found a Weevile player that had 25 games and only 2 wins. I had to throw her a bone.

Get online and instead of going into a match you can look up replays for different Pokemon or players.

Go to my town or what ever it is and do the training. Go to the action dojo and let the game take you through every move of Weevile and get a good idea of what it's capable of.

Did they ever mention why Greninja isn't in the game? I would have figured with his popularity he would be a shoe-in. And it can't just be the excuse that he's already in Smash when so are Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario.

Greninja is going to headline Pokken 2 Turbo in like 5 years. They gonna save that highlight for later.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I found a Weevile player that had 25 games and only 2 wins. I had to throw her a bone.

Get online and instead of going into a match you can look up replays for different Pokemon or players.

Go to my town or what ever it is and do the training. Go to the action dojo and let the game take you through every move of Weevile and get a good idea of what it's capable of.
Ahh will do. I did like 4/5 of the trainings and did 5/6 combos for Weaville. I actually did remember to use one of the combos from the combo training. But yeah I want to at least be competent before jumping into ranked. Game is insanely fun and again even when I got wrecked I was surprised to even get a round off of some players.

I dont know if this tip has been brought up for new players, but its helpful to go into the full move list and actually read what everything does. There are a lot of little details they put in there like counter pierce and things like that.

Greninja will be a cover 'mon for Pokken 2. Along with whatever Gen 8 Pokemon is most popular, Pikachu and Lucario / Zoroark slash fanfiction.

They probably wanted to be a bit different from Smash.

Those four Pokemon you listed are basically required to be in a Pokemon game. Greninja isn't really.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is there a change log anywhere for the gameplay and balance changes between the wii u version and switch need something to study while I wait for the game to get here tuesday

Ahh will do. I did like 4/5 of the trainings and did 5/6 combos for Weaville. I actually did remove to use one of the combos from the combo training. But yeah I want to at least be competent before jumping into ranked. Game is insanely fun and again even when I got wrecked I was surprised to even get a round off of some players.
The game is fairly simple in nature that it's fun to pick up right away but as time goes on you'll get better just playing other people make note of when players have a habbit of doing certain things so you can predict and react as need, get used to dashing out of your counter move without letting it go off, learn how your character of choice get's around smaller characters can zip past a lot of things to get in.

At the end of the day videos and guides can give you a basic idea of how to do the most effective things but you are gonna need to play a lot to understand how everything get's applied in a match. Don't worry about your ranks and all that up front check your ego at the door take some lickings and use each loss as a way to understand when you either did something wrong or they did something very right and learn from it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upuevlt1lr8

Yeah, while there are a decent number of photo ops during the intro and outro for each Pokémon, the option to disable HUD for clean mid-match screens would be great. It might be in there, but I doubt it.

I've checked the online replay feature and you CAN remove the HUD, no camera movement or fast forward/rewind to help things out but you can also view the match from either player's perspective.

Though due to the various visual effects and such I've yet to make any cool dynamic shots, just a lot more Decidueye and now I'm filling up my Switch photo memory.
Damn where's that micro SD I pulled out of the new 3DS gone?

The second trainer for today's daily is a boy with the tag that mentions their boyfriend. That's pretty cool.

I don't think the NPC trainers are randomly generated, either.

Neiteio

I've checked the online replay feature and you CAN remove the HUD, no camera movement or fast forward/rewind to help things out but you can also view the match from either player's perspective.

Though due to the various visual effects and such I've yet to make any cool dynamic shots, just a lot more Decidueye and now I'm filling up my Switch photo memory.
Damn where's that micro SD I pulled out of the new 3DS gone?
Oh nice, thanks for the tip about removing the HUD. I went back to some replays and tried it, resulting in some decent shots:

2017100221292601-5a6f2oj0g.jpg

2017100221292700-5a6fz6k0b.jpg

2017100221292703-5a6frqkqy.jpg

2017100221293001-5a6fjekhn.jpg

2017100221404700-5a6fj5jjf.jpg

2017100221411200-5a6fs0kwp.jpg

2017100221411903-5a6fuyjlo.jpg

2017100221542800-5a6fvlkab.jpg

2017100221542802-5a6f71klh.jpg

2017100221542804-5a6f04klc.jpg

So, I am terrible at this game, similar to most fighters. It's way deeper than I thought it was. Still really enjoyable though. Any tips for Chandelure?

Think I'm gonna pick up Chandelure to go with my Empoleon. Mostly because I want a zoner and it was out of her or Suicune, and I think I like Chandelure more. Plus I actually use Chandelure in the main games. Incoming hate mail for playing her.

Either way, had some great matches today. It's nice when you play someone in friendlies, they are your skill level, and choose to rematch. Those have been the best sets for me.

Neiteio

This game has turned me into a total Braixen fanboy.

Smash Switch should bring back the Pokemon Trainer concept.

Pokemon Trainer Red with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.

Pokemon Trainer X with Chespin, Braixen and Greninja.

Pokemon Trainer Sun with Popplio, Torracat and Decidueye.

(Trainer X would be based on the girl, of course. Best design!)

(Also note I alternated the typing for each evolution stage.)

I know X/Y are no longer the current hotness, but my goodness that trio would be perfect.

One way or another I want Braixen playable in Smash. ;_;

My LAN adapter has got to be borked. Matches in WiFI never have any noticeable lag (outside of standard delay). No stutters or pauses in gameplay, despite multiple matches. However the moment I dock the system I run into 2-3 laggy matches at least.

Either it's in my head or something is wrong with my adapter/router, not sure how to figure out the deal.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I haven't tried about 75% of the roster because I always end up just sticking with Blaziken. I'm not crazy about his design, but I love the way he plays. Makes me feel a bit like I'm playing Tekken.

Aftdr putting in a few more hours, I think I'd consider this one of my top 5 favorite games on the Switch so far. Way more depth and finesse than I expected from a Pokémon fighting game.

Vuci

Challenged someone on the NYC subway.. and won! That felt good. This game is so gorgeous in handheld mode, whereas on the big screen it falls a bit flat.

I wish you could save replays from local battles.

I haven't tried about 75% of the roster because I always end up just sticking with Blaziken. I'm not crazy about his design, but I love the way he plays. Makes me feel a bit like I'm playing Tekken.

Aftdr putting in a few more hours, I think I'd consider this one of my top 5 favorite games on the Switch so far. Way more depth and finesse than I expected from a Pokémon fighting game.

Blaziken was my main on the Wii U.

Probably the simplest character in the game to use, and you get to be a kung-fu chicken.

I still play Blaziken occasionally, but Scizor is my main now (Scizor was my most wanted character for the original Pokken)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Your enthusiasm for the original is what encouraged me to pick this up on Switch. I'm loving it!!

It helps that the creators seem to mostly line up with my fave pokes they put in the game

Gardevior, Sceptile, Suicune, Empoleon, Scizor, mewtwo, darkrai

plus outside of your new weird crush I like everyone else on a normal level at least :p

The game is just too fun and once you get a bit deeper matches get really intense

Neiteio

It helps that the creators seem to mostly line up with my fave pokes they put in the game

Gardevior, Sceptile, Suicune, Empoleon, Scizor, mewtwo, darkrai

plus outside of your new weird crush I like everyone else on a normal level at least :p

The game is just too fun and once you get a bit deeper matches get really intense
You don't like Braixen? But Braixen is the BEST :-O

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You don't like Braixen? But Braixen is the BEST :-O

I've been on the internet too long for her to be anything but the opposite of the best

Doesn't help that one of the top jpn players is known for buying doujins of her and beating off

Neiteio

I've been on the internet too long for her to be anything but the opposite of the best

Doesn't help that one of the top jpn players is known for buying doujins of her and beating off
Erm... that's not the kind of "appreciation" I'm talking about. Braixen is just a really cute/cool design. Why's everything gotta be creepy. :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If that's the case I'm surprised you don't have an issue with Gardevoir :p

Oh trust me I do, but at least she isn't designed as a little girl that's extra wtf for that type of stuff. I've liked Gardevior since ruby/saphire when I saw ralts in the begining since alakazam was one of my favorites I figured it was gonna be the new one :D I'd love for the male version to be in this too, that mega form is cool
Erm... that's not the kind of "appreciation" I'm talking about. Braixen is just a really cute/cool design. Why's everything gotta be creepy. :(
LOL she is, it's just tainted for me is all.

I must protect Braixen from internet whackjobs

*puts Braixen in pokeball, deposits pokeball in PC*

Heh.

Sadly Braix is the only pokemon in Pokken I really want to play so I wouldn't get much use out of the 3 team thing. That'd change if I ever got lucky enough for them to add more I like (e.g. Mawile, Diancie, Meloetta, Brionne, etc) but for now I guess I'd have to sub in Gardevoir and Weavile as ones I'm somewhat 'meh' about but would do :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It would be nice to get Gallade and Dancie tbh
tumblr_nfess4e8iA1scncwdo1_500.gif

Deoxy and Meloetta would be cool if they could figure out how to work form changes into their move sets. Maybe phase change transforms meloetta, for Deoxy they could just be have it transform on the spot in relation to the move I guess, like blocking and grabbing animations he morphs into defensive, field phase he starts as normal goes speed when homing attacking or dodging

Neiteio

Braixen's appearance and personality actually reminds me a lot of my dog, which probably contributes to the cute factor

I really like the voice they gave her in Pokken, as well

It would be nice to get Gallade and Dancie tbh
tumblr_nfess4e8iA1scncwdo1_500.gif

Deoxy and Meloetta would be cool if they could figure out how to work form changes into their move sets. Maybe phase change transforms meloetta, for Deoxy they could just be have it transform on the spot in relation to the move I guess, like blocking and grabbing animations he morphs into defensive, field phase he starts as normal goes speed when homing attacking or dodging
Well, Namco did make Soul Calibur, a game where several characters are built around stances so I'm sure they could go one better for Deoxys and have the forms :3

Braixen's appearance and personality actually reminds me a lot of my dog, which probably contributes to the cute factor

I really like the voice they gave her in Pokken, as well

She mostly just reminds me of some of the anime I grew up on and more recent stuff like little witch academy... but a fox :3 I love the whole magical girls and witches thing.
Bonus points for Braixen sounding like she says "F*******ck youuuu" in the pokken intro :D

RomanceDawn

Anyone want to play a bunch of matches for some practice? I'm really looking forward to playing some of you but its so rare to be on the same time as anyone else.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone want to play a bunch of matches for some practice? I'm really looking forward to playing some of you but its so rare to be on the same time as anyone else.
I can play tonigjt, sorry been warming back up to the game slowly.

With that said darkrai is so fucking cool in this I'm having a hard time picking between gardevior and him

Top Bottom