• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

Bought the game today, even though I didn't plan on picking it up after being dissappointed by the Wii U version. But this is basically what I wanted from the original release, so I'm liking it so far. Same-screen local multiplayer is awesome, and my growing-pokemon-fans nephew and nieces are loving it.

Tabletop mode is brilliant, haven't tried anything else yet. But I assume docked is still just 720p? That's a real shame. I'd love to see this game get continued support with DLC and an increased docked resolution, but chances seem very slim.

Doesn't seem like there's much point in the single-player portion, but as a "party-fighter" it's now really good.

RomanceDawn

If anyone ever wants to play hit me up here or in a pm :) I'm avaliable to play most of the time regardless of time

Oh shoot. That was you I was playing in ranked! Your user name is no coincidence!

Do you use Gardevoir? Thats who I have the most trouble with.

I feel like we were lagging but if you are available now hop in the GAF group and lets go. I just need to figure out Gardevoir! If you used someone else then just use who you're good with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh shoot. That was you I was playing in ranked! Your user name is no coincidence!

I feel like we were lagging but if you are available now hop in the GAF group and lets go. I just need to figure out Gardevoir! If you used someone else then just use who you're good with.

No I'm a gardevoir main haha that was me

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Good games :D

Neiteio

Guys, if they released free or paid DLC, or did a sequel, what are your top five characters you'd like to see added?

Incineroar and Primarina would be amazing, the former performing wrestling moves, the latter bouncing off bubbles... Deoxys would also be amazing, especially if you could transform freely between his different forms (perhaps saving Speed for his Synergy Burst)...

However, I keep trying to think up less obvious choices that could be awesome in practice. For example, few of us would've guessed Chandelure, yet he ended up being a fantastic addition to the roster.

It's those less obvious picks like Chandelure and Suicune that impress me the most.

I think pretty much any Pokemon could be awesome in the context of Pokken. The game has a way of taking designs I merely thought were OK and elevating them to something great — or maybe it's that they were always great, and Pokken merely helps me to appreciate them.

Darkrai is an example of this. I never cared for his design prior to Pokken. Now I think he's brilliant!

JoeM86

Guys, if they released free or paid DLC, or did a sequel, what are your top five characters you'd like to see added?

Incineroar and Primarina would be amazing, the former performing wrestling moves, the latter bouncing off bubbles... Deoxys would also be amazing, especially if you could transform freely between his different forms (perhaps saving Speed for his Synergy Burst)...

However, I keep trying to think up less obvious choices that could be awesome in practice. For example, few of us would've guessed Chandelure, yet he ended up being a fantastic addition to the roster.

It's those less obvious picks like Chandelure and Suicune that impress me the most.

I think pretty much any Pokemon could be awesome in the context of Pokken. The game has a way of taking designs I merely thought were OK and elevating them to something great — or maybe it's that they were always great, and Pokken merely helps me to appreciate them.

Darkrai is an example of this. I never cared for his design prior to Pokken. Now I think he's brilliant!

Gastrodon could be fun

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Game needs something like Aggron, needs another bulky powerhouse

pqzRBnu.jpg

ygwhDXq.png

Be crazy about it give him the most hp by far but make him the slowest character

Vuci

Are some of the backgrounds in this game seasonal? (Do they change depending on the time of year?)

I love how this game looks on the Switch screen.

Is PokkenGAF a thing? If so I need to join. I’m slowing learning, but a lot of the game still isn’t intuitive to me.

I need some ass whoopins to learn me something, like I got in SFV.

RomanceDawn

Is PokkenGAF a thing? If so I need to join. I’m slowing learning, but a lot of the game still isn’t intuitive to me.

I need some ass whoopins to learn me something, like I got in SFV.

It is a thing, I think it's listed in the OP somewhere. There is a code and a password.

So long as someone PM's me and I'm home I should be able to get on. Playing in the groups with the same people over and over are a great way to figure out your character and the game without worrying about stupid rankings.

Putting aside my personal faves that I'd just like to see (Abomasnow, Steelix, Primeape)

Hawlucha: Obvious choice is obvious, I feel like this one doesn't even require an explanation, demand is there, its popular, it's a luchadore, Lucha Pika doesn't really deliver the true lucha fix.
giphy.gif

Hitmonchan: Boring choice is boring? maybe to some but the Boxer archtype is a fighting game trope and Pokken likes to pay homage to Papa Tekken in its moves, Hitmonchan having some Steve Fox like weaving and an emphasis on the various types of punches, most notably the elemental punches causing their own status effects.
Chan could make a faster take on the close range fighter.
tumblr_osaqow9bNj1qaywrho1_500.gif

Any forme of Lycanroc: Rock is a type missing the party in Pokken, Gen 7 could use more, Lycanroc is popular, it basically comes together as an easy sell.
As for what forme though? Midnight makes the most sense on paper but the game could use more quadrupeds like Suicune thus Midday or Dusk could work out.
Considering Dusk is the new lycanroc hotness, it could be the perfect choice.
220.gif

Meleotta: Gen 5 needs more love and while my immediate thought was towards the likes of Bisharp and Krookodile, well diversity is a thing and the game could use more of the cutesy pokemon right?
Meleotta fills a vacant typing gap (normal!), could operate under a stance change gimmick with its two formes, be set as a rival to Braixen in a world where we had more cinematics.
It makes sense to me anyway.
OTHsoGP.gif

Lastly, well I was gonna say Goodra, Heracross or an inanimate object like Aegislash or Vanillauxe.
But then I remembered this from the anime...
5f17f84ca253326919d294aced8cc4b4863ff60b_hq.gif

Game needs something like Aggron, needs another bulky powerhouse

Be crazy about it give him the most hp by far but make him the slowest character
oooh, good idea, one of my Gen 3 favourites.

I only need greninja with ash greninja being his burst form. I’ll pay if need be.

I'm just 100% boring and would like to see Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hawlucha, Infernape or Snorlax. If I had to think of one "out there" choice that I'd give a go I think Metagross would be really cool. Still a popular and powerful Pokémon with a Mega for synergy burst and it has both physical attacks from its steel typing and long range from its psychic.

Metagross was on my cut list, if I felt like I wanted more Gen 3 in there, Metagross is where I would go first.
That tucking legs/arms in hover movement is too fun to watch.

Oh and Golurk's another one who can fit a trope, though I guess Scizor in a strange way fills a mecha like role here.

There's a lot of Pokémon that could be cool. Personally I'd love to see Blastoise. I feel like it's not getting the love it deserves, and was one of my favorites as a kid.

Neiteio

This game is amazing. Mystery Carnival is my favorite stage, and I play it on a regular basis. Despite that, it wasn't until I was practicing there for like 10 minutes straight that I noticed Dusknoir and Delphox sitting in armchairs having a fireside chat:

2017100919034500-5a6fn3kn9.jpg

This. Game.

Neiteio

Awesome screens, Nocturnowl. This game is a pain to try and capture in stills... So many special effects exploding all over the place. Looks amazing in motion, but hard to get a clean screenshot.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I feel like Decidueye suffers some of the same issues as braixen/mewtwo/s.mewtwo in being overtuned on their first go around

Overtuned?

Awesome screens, Nocturnowl. This game is a pain to try and capture in stills... So many special effects exploding all over the place. Looks amazing in motion, but hard to get a clean screenshot.

I know right, you can slap the capture button multiple times in succesion and just end up with a visual vomit fest of bold blue, green and red effects all over the shop.
If only the replays allowed to pause and rewind.

Man it's a shame that months after the fact I finally have shots I could've added to your Mario Kart and Rabbid screen threads.

Balanced too much one way usually in the stronger side of things when used that way

I figured that's what you meant but cheers for the confirmation

I had a bumpy start online with him dropping to around 40% winrate but pulled myself up to around 60%.
He's got a real solid set of tools, the acrobatics grab (can alternate with the dive when they get wise to it), razor leaf for pushing forward and getting an easy combo going, overgrow as a get the heck off me option and of course a projectile that cancels out others as well as locking out supports.

But perhaps his best kept secret is the arrow volley from holding Y for a few seconds, I've caught people off guard with that so much.

Yeah I can see the idea of him being perhaps a touch too potent.

Neiteio

Man it's a shame that months after the fact I finally have shots I could've added to your Mario Kart and Rabbid screen threads.
I mean, nothing to stop you from posting screens in those threads. They're still open and others could enjoy them, I just don't have anything to add to them myself at the moment. But if you do, please, by all means!

I mean, nothing to stop you from posting screens in those threads. They're still open and others could enjoy them, I just don't have anything to add to them myself at the moment. But if you do, please, by all means!

I will consider this, tomorrow anyway.

Griss

My 5 DLC picks: (not that we'll ever get any, imo)
Pangoro: Amazing design and would make a great power / grappler character. Pangoro vs Machamp matches would be great fun.
Volcarona: One of the all-time great designs and would be a very unique character in the game. Would make a great technical character.
Hitmonchan: Yes, it's an obvious choice, but I love the idea of a faster Machamp and goddamn it Hitmonchan was made for this game.
Golisopod: We don't have any amoured Samurai in this game. That needs fixing.
Blastoise: Yes, he'd probably play a lot like Empoleon, but fuck it, the fact that we can't do Charizard vs Blastoise is a travesty.

Honorable mentions:
Lurantis - A gameplay mix between Scizor, Sceptile and Weavile? Sounds fun!
Krookodile - Feels like it would probably play a lot like Garchomp but maybe a bit faster.
Clefable - I've always loved the clefairy line, and the game needs more 'cute' pokemon. Also, metronome could be an amazing mechanic in the game. Clefable can learn a lot of weird moves, could be a very cool set. Clefable vs Gengar would be great.
Hawlucha - I just feel like he'd be too much like Pikachu Libre, sadly. But Pika Libre is awesome, so at least there's that. Otherwise he's the perfect choice.

I made up a fake Pokken 2 new character lineup a while ago, just as a thought experiment. I don't have it on me right now. But I remember some of the choices I made.

Bewear
Greninja
Hawlucha
Heracross
Silvally
Sudowoodo
Tyranitar
Zoroark

One thing I'd like is Deoxys and a Pokken exclusive forme Deoxys final boss, like Shadow Mewtwo. Like a Deoxys Synergy Forme.

I want Ditto as a Combot / Mokujin / random select style character, but when it morphs into another Pokemon, it still has the Ditto face.

Griss

It's crazy how good the roster is already, though. The only three pokemon on it I wouldn't have counted in my top tier are Sceptile, Lucario in the original roster and then Darkrai and Decidueye in the DLC. The rest of them were all already some of my favs.

Maybe I just have very standard/boring taste! Or maybe the average quality of monster design in the series is just sky-high. (It is)

If they were to make DLC (which they won't), I'd hope they'd focus on gens without much representation. Gen's V, VI and VII only have one rep each (unless you count Lucha-Pika as a gen VI rep, which is fair), and Gen II only has two reps. Gen I and IV have a billion reps. And round out the types a bit more. Normal is the second most common type and has no reps.

I'd go with

Smeargle
Galvantula
Greninja
Oranguru

Some variety and some places for weird movesets. And Greninja.

Neiteio

Braixen has so many satisfying moves, animations and effects

My favorite is back + A, which can be charged. She fires off a five-pronged blast of fire that lingers for a second, telegraphing itself briefly before launching forward at high speed and growing larger as it crosses the length of the arena. When powered up with Sunny Day (tap B after performing this move and several others), subsequent uses will be super strong. You can pretty much steamroll the entire Ferrum League by spamming this move, lol.

A trickier move to use is her forward + A, where she thrusts her magic wand into the ground and conjures up a spinning pillar of fire a short distance away. This can be very useful if deployed correctly, but it always appears at a fixed distance so you must be careful. If done correctly, you can time it so that your opponent leaps into it or backs up against it, effectively trapping them.

Braixen's running Y is very satisfying to use, firing off a long-distance barrage of fireballs before culminating in a psychic blast that triggers Phase Shift. She also has one move (I can't remember if it's forward Y or backwards Y) where she swings her wand like a golf club and lobs a fireball on an arcing trajectory toward her opponent. It can be charged, but your aim must be true for it to actually connect, lol.

She can also throw her wand like a boomerang, hitting people on the way out and in, triggering Phase Shift on the return strike while closing the distance between herself and her opponent as she lunges forward to catch it. That's another favorite move.

And her B + A, where she jumps into the air and rides her wand like a witch's broomstick, rocketing toward her opponent at mid-altitude in a burst of flame, is so much fun. Her aerial dash (B + R) is essentially the same thing but without the flame effect.

She's such a fun character, and probably the one I recommend for newcomers to learn the game, since her Phase Shift hits are generally color-coded (being the pink psychic blasts, rather than the fiery ones) and thus it's easier to learn the concept of Phase Shift. Also, her moves generally match up intuitively with their directional inputs. She's a character that kind of does what you'd expect her to do when you execute any given input.

Braixen is just so good. It's kind of amazing to me that she got in even though she's a middle evolution. Those tend to be overlooked among starters, although my understanding is that she's apparently a popular character in the anime, or was during the X/Y season at least.

First one off the top of my head would be Aegislash.
I think they could do some interesting stuff if they set up a system where it could switch between defensive and offensive modes.

There are way too many Pokemon, I'd like to see as fighters for DLC or a sequel:

1. Quilava

2. Ampharos

3. Heracross

4. Sudowoodo

5. Breloom

6. Ludicolo

7. Sableye

8. Mawile

9. Deoxys

10. Roserade

11. Buisel

12. Abomasnow

13. Lopunny

14. Electrivire

15. Dewott

16. Meloetta

17. Genesect

18. Galvantula

19. Krookodile

20. Zoroark

21. Greninja

22. Aegislash

23. Hawlucha

24. Diancie

25. Salandit

26. Kommo-o

27. Tapu Koko

28. UB-Adhesive

BizzyBum

Trying to get around to this and it's fun but for Pokken Tournament 2 there definitely needs to be a more fleshed out single-player story mode. If you're not planning to go online and battle it seems there's nothing to really do besides rank up in the Ferrum League which is basically a simplified arcade mode. A few newbie questions for a fight I just had:

1. How do you counter a grab? There were times I went for a grab but my opponent countered me. Is there a specific button input or does simply doing any attack break up a throw attempt? Can you tech throws?
2. I tried grabbing on wake up but my opponent grabbed me first, so I assume he has the advantage every time in that situation?

I'm currently using Mewtwo, any good video guides out there?

Trying to get around to this and it's fun but for Pokken Tournament 2 there definitely needs to be a more fleshed out single-player story mode. If you're not planning to go online and battle it seems there's nothing to really do besides rank up in the Ferrum League which is basically a simplified arcade mode. A few newbie questions for a fight I just had:

1. How do you counter a grab? There were times I went for a grab but my opponent countered me. Is there a specific button input or does simply doing any attack break up a throw attempt? Can you tech throws?
2. I tried grabbing on wake up but my opponent grabbed me first, so I assume he has the advantage every time in that situation?

Grabs are countered by attacking. Using s counter will lose against a grab. Some people are good enough that they can time grabs upon you getting up especially playing online where latency can be a problem.

attacks counter grabs, so mainly any of your y or x attacks. As for getting grabbed on wakeup, you always have an option (barring lag) you just need to know what your fastest attacks are. Most of the time an 8Y (up+Y) is the fastest for most characters

BizzyBum

Grabs are countered by attacking. Using s counter will lose against a grab. Some people are good enough that they can time grabs upon you getting up especially playing online where latency can be a problem.

You're not the same GuitarGuru from CC, are you? lol

attacks counter grabs, so mainly any of your y or x attacks. As for getting grabbed on wakeup, you always have an option (barring lag) you just need to know what your fastest attacks are. Most of the time an 8Y (up+Y) is the fastest for most characters

Okay, now that I think about it, I know that was covered in an early tutorial about the attack triangle. I did the tutorials then took a break right away which is never a good thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Doesn't matter if the attack is slow you are throw immune, weak hits tend to cancel out while strong gets a critcal hit off

BiggNife

I still want Spinda as DLC. You could do some wild drunken-master kind of stuff with them.

Meleotta would be neat too, I feel like you could incorporate some kind of rhythm-based gimmick which would be neat.

Top Bottom