• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

How do you folks feel about the lack of item customization?

I like that HotS reduces the focus on last hitting, and that the levels are smaller so I can roam and try to engage in PvP more often - my matches are intense affairs where I try to fight other players as much as possible, whereas I played some DotA2 and it felt like I farmed PvE in my lane for a huge portion of the match. So that's a +1 for HotS for me.

You guys were right that you can push an advantage in HotS just like you can in DotA - I had a match where we stomped and wiped them out at level 17 vs. 14 because everyone knew to push when we had the advantage, and we all did the objectives and won the team fights.

But for me, theory crafting hero builds is a lot of fun, and I like to give heroes my own "spin" on how they play. The talent tree is enjoyable, but I really do miss DotA's item system. I wish HotS would do something similar, even if people didn't lose gold when they died, all gold was shared, and all gold was just on a timer. I don't care how it's done, I just want it in.

My only other real issue with the game is that I apparently can't click on anything other than my own hero for stat viewing. Blizzard pioneered the RTS genre, and being able to click on anything and see its stats (health, mana, etc.) has been a staple since its birth. Why can't I do that in HotS? Why can't I see how much health an enemy hero has so I can tell whether attacking is a good idea?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thankfully you are the only person on the planet that wants items :p.

They tried items (artifacts), it lasted... 10 days, thts how bad the backlash was. Alur or Milly probbaly know better than me, I think they played the Alpha.

kirblar

I think its a screen clutter issue (as well as possibly an issue with exploits, as the observers DO have this funtionality), but yes, being able to see someone/something's actual HP #s somewhere when you have them highlighted would be fantastic.

They put in artifacts, and people responded with a volcano of angry. For good reason, we've seen what gem systems and stat buffs do w/ SFxT/LoL.

Syf

Banned
I would like to see some new layer of depth to the game added, be it through items or whatever (not anything out of game like artifacts were though), but at this point HotS is HotS and you either like it or don't.

Agreed that being able to click on other players would be nice too.

Apathy

sure game, keep giving me all the li-ming skins, they are nice. .My boxes have been super good, yesterday i got nova. Starting with 2 owned characters before 2.0, then the 20 from the bundle, in just less than a week I'm up to 33 owned. That's kinda nuts.

Edit: The character select screen + the popup on the left hand for customization needs to be changed (like the UI) since if you want to get to the characters under the popup you need to close it, click the character you want, then click it again to change loadouts.

I think its a screen clutter issue (as well as possibly an issue with exploits, as the observers DO have this funtionality), but yes, being able to see someone/something's actual HP #s somewhere when you have them highlighted would be fantastic.

They put in artifacts, and people responded with a volcano of angry. For good reason, we've seen what gem systems and stat buffs do w/ SFxT/LoL.
Well it's not obvious but those bars are 500250hp or so each. I agree though that having that information available would be nice. I have no idea what damage means so much I'd prefer having percentages instead of damage totals in talent descriptions.

Fancolors

i saved my team from a zerg horde because i killed someone with tyrande's w from the fountain. it was a completely bullshit kill, but it felt pretty good.

Kioshen

When a hero's running past a wall (or alongside a fort, or terrain, or through a choke) their movement options are restricted by those things. This makes it easier to land skill shots because you can predict their movement (ex. in a straight line or wrapping around the object). So, Dread's saying that Goku should have expected the drag when he crossed the wall and juked/side stepped it.

People take advantage of this already with a lot of heroes like dropping Kerrigan's combo on a gate when you know the other team is going to funnel through it. Or dropping Li Ming's Q+W towards a gate or even Azmo's Q at a fountain when you see a low health opponent retreating.

he's saying that goku is trying to dodge (going perpendicular) before he hits the movement impairing wall. he believes it's more proper to attempt the juke on deh q in the limited situation (rather than juking up like he does before he hits the wall, he should juke down when he is being blocked by the wall), since that is the most optimal time for dehaka to throw his q out; by putting yourself in that situation dehaka q becomes a lot more easier to predict

Thanks for taking the time. I wasn't sure but that clears things up.

How do you folks feel about the lack of item customization?

My only other real issue with the game is that I apparently can't click on anything other than my own hero for stat viewing. Blizzard pioneered the RTS genre, and being able to click on anything and see its stats (health, mana, etc.) has been a staple since its birth. Why can't I do that in HotS? Why can't I see how much health an enemy hero has so I can tell whether attacking is a good idea?

To an extent the talent system replaces it but I miss them too. In a sense it's another approach that works better in a shared xp environnement. Since you share everything some heroes would be gimped because they couldn't afford pricier items that rewards being ahead. Now the reward is have no a whole talent advantage over the opposing team.

Since they don't have items on them you don't really need to select other heroes for their stats. You already know them in the ui, see their health live on the battlefield and can see their talent picks on the tab screen. I don't miss that at all honestly. I already have enough info to solo lane effectively to be honest.

Missed this post earlier, but this describes how myself and several others I've played with or still play with over the years got into HOTS. A lot of getting into one of these MOBAs is finding the hero you fall in love with. In a game like HOTS, which has 66 heroes already, that can be hard to do and I'd imagine a good number of players don't find that hero in time before they give up.

I don't know what Blizzard can do to help that (probably nothing), but getting the right hero into the right hands is definitely important to retention IMO.
Aye. I didn't enjoy DotA until I found Nature's Prophet, and when my friends segued to LoL I couldn't get in to it either until I stumbled on Lissandra. Johanna was been that hero for me in HotS, and then Ming. Finding that one champ/hero you click with is super vital, agreed.

Jadax

Ok so I just joined HotS - got the warrior./bruiser bundle. I just played 1 game vs AI (with teammates).

First off, the game seems to last a lot shorter than Dota 2, also - noone seems to care about last hitting (I assume it's pointless in this game?)

I like it so far, ofc I'm still new and it seems like a fun new game to me.

Can someone recommend what my next steps should be? I plan to finish the 3/3 AI challenge - and get to lvl 5 (for gems reward).

Also - I play in NA, Singapore server - I have not HotS friends, add me: Jadax#2287

Apathy

Ok so I just joined HotS - got the warrior./bruiser bundle. I just played 1 game vs AI (with teammates).

First off, the game seems to last a lot shorter than Dota 2, also - noone seems to care about last hitting (I assume it's pointless in this game?)

I like it so far, ofc I'm still new and it seems like a fun new game to me.

Can someone recommend what my next steps should be? I plan to finish the 3/3 AI challenge - and get to lvl 5 (for gems reward).

Also - I play in NA, Singapore server - I have not HotS friends, add me: Jadax#2287

I know one of nazeebo's builds cares somewhat about last hitting in that a creature needs to die within a few seconds since he last hit them to get the quest done. It's not exactly last hitting but close

Alur

Yeah last hitting doesn't matter for gold generation. It's all shared. Better to clear the wave as quickly as possible to have it push in on your enemy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*sees Legendary

FLkqpd1.gif

*gets red mechanical ram

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

Will D.va be available for purchase, or will she only be available through a quest?

what a strange question, she will be for purchase like any other hero.

Also, this lady right here, im in love

af0ac1aa5100b1a0df0148955586c70b95171485_hq.gif

I dont even like her in OW >_<

Dreavus

Will D.va be available for purchase, or will she only be available through a quest?

If you're talking about D.Va's police skin in Overwatch, it's only available through the HotS quest/challenge at this time. Blizzard has said that it may eventually make it's way into a regular lootbox sometime in the future, but for now it's just part of the promotion.

Prelude.

Isn't it weird that by completing week 1 of the challenge you get the Oni Genji set without the actual Oni Genji skin? It would have been nicer considering that a lot of people got the OW skin last time.

kirblar

Isn't it weird that by completing week 1 of the challenge you get the Oni Genji set without the actual Oni Genji skin? It would have been nicer considering that a lot of people got the OW skin last time.
It's for sale right now and craftable for normal prices in two weeks.

Rhaknar

when you get Hero of the Storm with 23 kill streak and you dont get MVP ;_;

I need to start being more confident in my (limited) abilities and start using that talent that gives you more damage the more kills you get, I never pick it up because I just assume ill die fast and not get any use of it :/

also, 10 favorite spots isnt nearly enough :(

Kioshen

I know one of nazeebo's builds cares somewhat about last hitting in that a creature needs to die within a few seconds since he last hit them to get the quest done. It's not exactly last hitting but close

Azmodan's taste for blood quest requires last hit timing with the globe. The other type would seasoned marksman on raynor, falstad, artanis and probably others but they just need to die around you. The butcher needs to collect blood drops but again minions just need to die around him. Probius has also a quest to collect minerals that will drop from minions dying around you.

Apathy

This game, just like OW needs to stop grouping solos with groups. I am really sick of groups of 2 or 3 that only want to go with their friends

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Azmodan's taste for blood quest requires last hit timing with the globe.
That one is real bullshit unless you have a partner with an AoE that brings them close to death for the first half of the match (when your globe becomes strong enough to actually kill things)

Ketch

• Vikings with no soak
  • only one team having a support
  • the kill count being in favour of the no support team
  • genji w/ highest amount of XP contributed
that's all I got.

0/0/5 Zarya with less damage then the auriel, not even top siege damage, but still most XP on the team.

conclusions:
Auriel is a shit healer
Vikings had no idea how to micro
Zarya was tilted AF
I am in some dirt tier mmr

0/0/5 Zarya with less damage then the auriel, not even top siege damage, but still most XP on the team.

conclusions:
Auriel is a shit healer
Zarya was tilted AF

If you don't mind me asking, what was the MMR of that match?

Rhaknar

conclusions:
Auriel is a shit healer
Zarya was tilted AF

Hows Genji? I would initially say I have zero interest in him but after Lunara and Tracer lately I dont fucking know what Im going to like anymore.

Hows Genji? I would initially say I have zero interest in him but after Lunara and Tracer lately I dont fucking know what Im going to like anymore.
very similar to Zeratul, with a much less powerful heroic, but with the potential to keep going with resets like Li Ming.

For some reason tracer never clicked with me even though melee assassins are my thing.

Rhaknar

very similar to Zeratul, with a much less powerful heroic, but with the potential to keep going with resets like Li Ming.

For some reason tracer never clicked with me even though melee assassins are my thing.

Tracer is ranged tho :3

Fancolors

Played a bunch today with some friends. It's fun, but sometimes it feels unfair since we are usually a group of 3-4 and we get matches against a bunch of solos at times.

Maybe that's why but she dives deep, sticks to targets, literally has a melee skill and a very low range ultimate.
Here AA range is the only ranged thing about her.

It's pretty often the melee carry too that plays her in competitive.

Zackat

so I finally got to watch some HGC today for the first time in a while. The level of play has gone up a lot for a bunch of these teams.

edit: also 30k viewers for essentially pool games seems pretty good? 2.0 bump at all?

Top Bottom