• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Gearbox dev: "We only did MP-portion of Aliens!". SEGA: "NOPE"

And this plus upcoming platforms is why it hasn't been seen. Unfortunately, the ship has kinda sailed on the project. Would've been great to have release when Inglourious Basterds was still relatively fresh on the minds of the consumer.

It was pretty painful seeing the reveal trailer, not only because of what became of the BiA franchise in a now WW2 starved era, but also because it was essentially just Borderlands with Nazis, a concept that they probably came up with after seeing Inglorious a couple of times. I don't think they have an original bone in their body.

Mesoian

Was Mad Moxxi even Gearbox's creation?

One of the best (and simultaneously worst) things about Borderlands.

My brain hurts just thinking about the web of madness coming out of that studio.

If memory serves, art, dialogue and preplanning was them, everything else wasn't. Which seems to be par for the course for BL2 it seems.

Mesoian

It was pretty painful seeing the reveal trailer, not only because of what became of the BiA franchise in a now WW2 starved era, but also because it was essentially just Borderlands with Nazis, a concept that they probably came up with after seeing Inglorious a couple of times. I don't think they have an original bone in their body.

Eh, it was a concept people would have gotten behind. It reminded me more of Overstrike (REMEMBER THAT!?!?) than borderlands. Alas, i think it's gone the way of Mercenaries.

It's hard for me to understand why they would go through with such a trainwreck and harm the reputation of Sega, Gearbox (and Timegate?).
I can't imagine anyone involved in this feeling good about putting out such a product. What a waste of resources and what a shame considering the potential and franchise...

Didn't Sega cancel the Obsidian Entertainment developed Aliens RPG in favor of Aliens: Colonial Marines?
I wonder how the Aliens RPG would've turned out if it was the other way around.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Damn we need to create some GIFs based on this disaster

from OT:

i212wUcwcU0eE.gif

evangd007

It's hard for me to understand why they would go through with such a trainwreck and harm the reputation of Sega, Gearbox (and Timegate?).
I can't imagine anyone involved in this feeling good about putting out such a product. What a waste of resources and what a shame considering the potential and franchise...

Didn't Sega cancel the Obsidian Entertainment developed Aliens RPG in favor of Aliens: Colonial Marines?
I wonder how the Aliens RPG would've turned out if it was the other way around.

Someone should go ask Obsidian. They did say it was nearly content-complete when it was canceled (which would have made it more "done" that KOTOR 2).

lol, this game just keeps on giving. It was released in Australia without executable.

They forgot which studio should be responsible for this.

The whole project has been an extremely professional affair lol

So they outsourced:

1. Single player to TimeGate Studios,
2. WiiU port, networking and multiplayer to Demiugre, and
3. Multiplayer maps and modes to Nerve Software.

What the fuck did they do?!!

4. Pre-production and stickytaping everything together
5. Forgetting to include .exe for Australia

Haunted

Reading up on TimeGate's wiki entry, looks like this isn't exactly new information, there's an article from 2011 stating they're working on it.

Well, I wasn't aware. They worked on the FEAR expansion packs and made Section 8, so this seems on par with their past work.

Reading up on TimeGate's wiki entry, looks like this isn't exactly new information, there's an article from 2011 stating they're working on it.

Well, I wasn't aware. They worked on the FEAR expansion packs and made Section 8, so this seems on par with their past work.

See, but Sega marketing in all their videos and promos, have always put GEARBOX in front and center as the developers behind the entire game.

randomwab

I loved their second FEAR expansion, Perseus Mandate. Such a pity.

This sounds like damage-control to me, trying to save the Gearbox name so they can disappoint us by another by-the-numbers release. (I never got the Borderlands hype)

fvng

Can't tell if your serious or not but the co-op is identical to the single player campaign.

The game has a versus mode which is what the article might talking about. Or it's simply Gearbox working on the net code because they have experience from borderlands.

Even if gearbox only worked on net code or competitive modes, im still up for this game.

The game could be a 7 and I'd still up for this game because 4 player co op is great with friends and the alien universe is one worth visiting. I might actually hold off on buying it, but I'm not crossing it off my list because of this.

BearPawB

Banned
Even if gearbox only worked on net code or competitive modes, im still up for this game.

The game could be a 7 and I'd still up for this game because 4 player co op is great with friends and the alien universe is one worth visiting. I might actually hold off on buying it, but I'm not crossing it off my list because of this.

The game seems to be a 4

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm convinced that this game was a disaster for all those involved. It sounded like they were sitting on a mess they couldn't fix or sweep under the rug, and they figured they might as well bite the bullet, or pull the band aid off -- which ever expression you prefer.

Please, please, please; we have to get a post-mortem of this game. What the hell happened during those 6 years?

Honestly, SEGA should've went for Aliens VS Predators 2 with Rebellion instead.

Rebellion hasnt made a good game since the first AvP. They did 3 which was shit. What are you even talking about?

Chris_C

But they kept promoting the campaign

So this isn't even a real Gearbox game just like DNF?

This was my first thought. It strikes me Randy's doing damage to his studio by building it the wrong way. DNF seemed like a cash-grab, somewhat excusable given the history of the game, but this also seems like a mad dash for wallets. Why should buy a Gearbox game if I don't even know what constitutes one these days?

Colonial Marines looks years out of date and doesn't appear to compete with what's on the market. If they didn't have the production resources to make a massively ambitious game, they should have made a multiplayer only PSN/XBLA title and made that the absolute best it could be. Now we have something purporting to be a true sequel to Aliens with rough graphics, poor production quality and iffy thematic relevance. Everyone involved ends up looking bad.

quickwhips

thats funny because i stated in other thread that I played multiplayer and it was pretty good. Was shocked that the single player and review scores.

ezekial45

Banned
Rebellion hasnt made a good game since the first AvP. They did 3 which was shit. What are you even talking about?

I'm talking about how I enjoyed AVP3, and that Rebellion could've done much better with another crack at it. It wasn't awful by any means.

Timegate made Extraction Point, which was awesome, so all hope is not lost.

I'm actually paying full price for this game, the goddamn collector's edition.

Fuck me, I'm gonna hate myself so much when I play it and realize it's not better than AVP.

hamchan

If they couldn't even make the single player themselves in 5 years then that's a problem. I'm betting they just focused on Borderlands completely and let this game languish off to the side until they had to outsource it.

snkryo

Same here.

Bedlam

Why does Gearbox accept these shit games to pile on their resume? This and Duke Nukem.
Gearbox/Pichtford really needs to stop trying to safe and resurrect games that should've been canceled long ago. If there's anything that we learned from DNF and A:CM, it's that games often get canceled for very good reasons.

.hacked

Nothing but promising previews and such, preorder it off of greenmangaming now everyone says the game is shit.

Fell for the hype train again :/

zugzug

All the interviews I saw of this game was Randy Pitchford gushing and luving how the movies were the fiber of his life and this was his dream project and the entire team(Randy and his mulitiple personalities imo) That they were going to do the game justice.

But if your outsourcing the game are you really doing the game justice Randy?

Whats the quality of your company.

Sciz

Was Mad Moxxi even Gearbox's creation?

One of the best (and simultaneously worst) things about Borderlands.

My brain hurts just thinking about the web of madness coming out of that studio.

IIRC, Gearbox outsourced the last DLC for BL1 and everything so far for BL2.

Top Bottom