• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Gearbox dev: "We only did MP-portion of Aliens!". SEGA: "NOPE"

jaxpunk

What I wonder is will Pitchford ever again be the visible, smiling spokesman in front of cameras and in trailers now that this PR disaster completely destroyed the reputation of him and his company? He can't, can he?

What I wonder is how you think the internet has an attention span of more than 2 days. Next week this will be forgotten.

Fox Mulder

What I wonder is will Pitchford ever again be the visible, smiling spokesman in front of cameras and in trailers now that this PR disaster completely destroyed the reputation of him and his company? He can't, can he?

He'll probably brag about how well the game is selling despite the outcry and horrible reviews, like last time.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
DLC is fine. Hammerlock is a bit lacking overall, but the value is good for what you get considering all three so far. Moxxi's Underdome was lacking in the first game, too. Not that it's an excuse for this situation. I'm saying the DLC is along the same lines as the first game so far and those were great DLC's looking back.

Agreed, Hammerlock was the only one that was poo. I did kinda expect one to be crappy, so I guess that's the "free" one from the season pass. Best was Mr Torgue's by far. Pirate's Booty was good.

FyreWulff

You know, I'm suddenly reminded of what Silicon Knights did with X-Men Legends... the difference being that Gearbox at least had Borderlands to keep the company going.

It's hilarious because Randy was a total lapdog for Epic during that trial, and it turns out they were doing the same shit to a different licensor.

Marcel

The Diablo with Guns and Internet Humor will salvage any bad PR. I like Borderlands but you have to see it for how shallow it is (which speaks to Gearbox in general).

What I wonder is how you think the internet has an attention span of more than 2 days. Next week this will be forgotten.

I don't think so. The internet holds grudges, just look at Molyneux.

What he'll probably do is present a timeline of what happened and why (being sure to paint Gearbox in as good a light as possible), accept some of the blame, be very apologetic, and ask that fans still trust them to make great games like Borderlands 2™.

Z3M0G

I know it would require someone actually buying and finishing the game, but I wonder what insight the game's own credits provide about the production...

So it seems possible that this same trick (taking publisher $ meant for developing a licensed IP and funneling it into your own IP while coming up woefully short on your duties to the publisher) was executed by Gearbox (Aliens), Silicon Knights (X-Men), and Free Radical (Star Wars).

I guess it doesn't matter how big or revered your license (or how massive the sales could be if the game turned out to be even reasonably decent), you better be damn careful who you work with to develop your game for you.

Jharp

What the hell did Silicon Knights funnel X-men money to? That was their only game since 2008's Too Human. So they funneled money to something that never got off the ground?

so RP was on a high at DICE, everyone was like "I love this dude" in the dice youtube thread.

what a 180.

Can't wait to see what comes out of this. The escapist video was pretty damning.

GhostSeed

I know it would require someone actually buying and finishing the game, but I wonder what insight the game's own credits provide about the production...

I've beaten the game and the end credits aren't specific at all about who worked on what. If I'm remembering right the Gearbox ones are just a long list of names. No one is given a title like producer, directer etc. All of the other companies do list these titles though so it's not clear at all what Gearbox actually worked on.

duckroll

What the hell did Silicon Knights funnel X-men money to? That was their only game since 2008's Too Human. So they funneled money to something that never got off the ground?

Yes. They were allegedly diverting their manpower and leads into some attempt to get Eternal Darkness 2 off the ground.

Fox Mulder

the lawsuit with Epic ordered them to destroy anything built with Unreal Engine, and even named projects that weren't announced yet.

Top Bottom