• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil gets its own special pricing policy on Steam (and its currency)

Gueras

Banned
I just want to know if we gonna have Steam SALES here...

cuz in Brazil usually when they launch a game for 59.99 the price stills for at least 1 year and half...

its ridiculous...

beje

Banned
Wow, I completely expected the opposite from the thread title, something like the local government wanting their extremely high tax cut like in retail and prices hiking up. Congrats!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if sites like Nuuvem are affected. Also I wonder if this is why Nuuvem stopped supporting foreign accounts.

Harlock

The australians are not too happy about your stema prices. And I don´t know if the br store is going to have the same discounts and bundle promotions from the US store.

Netflix is going to pay a high tax over each movie because Ancine. The same thing can be done with digital games.

Is fine if the Steam keep the option to pay in dollar and use the US Store, but otherwise I do not trust these changes.

Platy

This is glorious .... and I hated it =|

The only reason I'm not totaly without money after steam sales is BECAUSE I don't have an international credit card and needed to borrow friend's cards to buy stuff .... but NOW ????
Damn you my love for indie games, I will have to buy all those games that I said I would buy on greenlight =P

Also

Lots of brazilians that I never saw on the Official BrazilGaf Thread !
Lets change this people !

(after a while our stupid government decided to raise the dollar price so our crappy industries don't sink in the global market).

Yeah ... our stupid goverment decided that the PIB and money of 90% of the country's industries is better than the happyness of the few rich people that were buying their Nintendo 64 cheap =P

Don't get your hopes up, they are mainly casual gamers playing on cellphones or ramdomly playing music games, the sims or even facebook games (if that counts).

I have about one female friend that plays the same stuff I play for every 10 male friends.

I have almost the oposite ... 1 female friend to 10 male friends.
And they all range from "wii is for kids" to "bit trip beat on ios" max.
The only girl I know that is adicted to Just Dance is my 13 year old sister =P

But then again I probably know more girls that MAKES games than you know that PLAY games =P

We're basically fucked. The prices they've listed won't be the ones on the store.

Have a little more faith !

I wonder if sites like Nuuvem are affected. Also I wonder if this is why Nuuvem stopped supporting foreign accounts.

They are totaly fucked =D

volturnus

Banned
I'm not so sure it's going to be that cheaper for us. It's pretty clear that those are recommended prices, so who knows if Australia had fair recommended prices by Valve and publishers simply didn't want to follow them?

krae_man

Brazil GAF are good people. One of them helped me buy a Couger Boy.

Enjoy your cheap games. Hopefully your government won't tax the hell out of them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You're kidding, right? RIGHT? PM me now, please. Which floor? It can't be. LOL

It so is, hahaha.

But anyway: the guys over at BoaCompra have already confirmed that the Brazilian prices will be cheaper than the US prices. That table isn't confirmed yet, though.

ffspark

Neo Member
it's hard to believe.

some people here are very excited about it, others not. We have to wait to see the truth.

Unai

It so is, hahaha.

But anyway: the guys over at BoaCompra have already confirmed that the Brazilian prices will be cheaper than the US prices. That table isn't confirmed yet, though.

It's good to know. That's something already.

Cramoss

I am from chile! Don't want to deal with any more region locking than I already do.

Is it that bad here?

I've been using steam for 2 years and I haven't noticed any region locking so far with the exception of a few games during a winter/summer sale.

The amount of unofficial/hacked servers for Counter Strike in latin america is really sad and trying to convince them to pay for games is next to impossible.

Huge potential for profits there.

That's sadly true.

Harlock

moacyriswatchingyou.jpg

ElFly

Is it that bad here?

I've been using steam for 2 years and I haven't noticed any region locking so far with the exception of a few games during a winter/summer sale.

Oh no, I've rarely met restrictions on Steam (I think once it didn't let me buy fallout 3 for cheap due to region issues but it's been years and I may be wrong).

But netflix's library is super small here, and retail games sometimes take months to get, and blizzard sells us 3 months licenses for starcraft.

Worst possible scenario is that we get our own region for console games and/or steam.

We got our own regions for DVDs and it was annoying. Luckily a lot of players were unlockable with a code on the remote, or were simply multizone.

FACE

Banned
Some games, like Max Payne 3, were already cheaper here.

Nice policy change though, hopefully it won't lead to more region locking.

vinicius

Neo Member
It seems BoaCompra takes a long while to accept payments, sometimes hours, and that League of Legends also uses it but also accepts paypal, except it needs to be through BoaCompra, which makes no sense to me. Anyone can confirm this?

Just met Brazil in person, it's unbelievable that we work at the same place and found about it on GAF. Amazing, really.
I wonder how awkward that was.

Cramoss

Oh no, I've rarely met restrictions on Steam (I think once it didn't let me buy fallout 3 for cheap due to region issues but it's been years and I may be wrong).

But netflix's library is super small here, and retail games sometimes take months to get, and blizzard sells us 3 months licenses for starcraft.

Worst possible scenario is that we get our own region for console games and/or steam.

We got our own regions for DVDs and it was annoying.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Steam only but yeah, Netflix's library here sucks balls.

Basically, everything but the price conversion table is confirmed. What we know is that the prices will be good for us brazilians and won't follow the direct conversion dollar -> real. There won't be a brazilian Steam, Steam wil only offer the option of showing the prices in reais and paying using BoaCompra, just like it already does with Paypal. All Steam sales and whatnot will be the same. At least that's what I learned so far.

Let's have a little faith.

Twentieth

Might as well use this thread to pimp the official brazilian portuguese translation of Steam. Brazilians on GAF won't need it, obviously, but it's available and it's great. They did a great job on the client and on a few games which have been translated so far (Dota 2, CS:GO, TF2).

Platy

hey GAF !

How about we celebrate the hope of a bright future and rise of Brazilian PC master race .... Giving a help to awesome Brazilian made games on greenlight ? =D

Cream of the Crop
Meaning stuff that is already finished and I already played and I think it is awesome

Indie Cade Nominee ... glorious and incredibly original stealth game with a BEAUTIFUL sound department

I made an OT for it ... really good and polished puzzle like an action old school portalmeets puppy death factory. Eurogamer's 9/10

REALLY good and true 8bit game in the best possible way. Also has an OT for it. Was part of a bundle recently and Neogaf had some kind of contest on who got the best score on the demo once.

Other good games
Didn't played, but they look interesting and complete or not so far from completion

Symphony of the Night inspired 2d action game !

Cute platformer

The world needs more First Person Puzzle games

Guri

ROFL

This guy is a disaster. Served him right...

Actually, I called him two hours ago and he was pretty happy and relieved. Too bad the confusion that happened made Moacyr some kind of a "villain". He never went for higher prices, but that's from the past now.

By the way, I wouldn't be too worried about prices getting up to the consoles releases. PC titles were fine from the beginning.

Console games - Taxes like gambling - That's why it's so high. It's supposed to be in a software category, which PC games already are (R$99,90, right?).

LuuKyK

Actually, I called him two hours ago and he was pretty happy and relieved. Too bad the confusion that happened made Moacyr some kind of a "villain". He never went for higher prices, but that's from the past now.

By the way, I wouldn't be too worried about prices getting up to the consoles releases. PC titles were fine from the beginning.

Console games - Taxes like gambling - That's why it's so high. It's supposed to be in a software category, which PC games already are (R$99,90, right?).

Yeah, nothing wrong with him, he seems like a good person. Its just that his motivations were kind of all over the place. Jogo Justo started well, but it seems he kinda lost his focus and started to try many things at once. idk And then the Steam fiasco happened and yeah, I can't say it was a good thing for him and his projects, but then again, I can't blame him, I mean the industry here is kinda fucked up anyway, so yeah, at least he tried I guess.

Platy

It seems like good news.

We will keep getting good deals on sales. Right?

All (and by all I mean Dinosaur Hunter) points that yes

Basically, everything but the price conversion table is confirmed. What we know is that the prices will be good for us brazilians and won't follow the direct conversion dollar -> real. There won't be a brazilian Steam, Steam wil only offer the option of showing the prices in reais and paying using BoaCompra, just like it already does with Paypal. All Steam sales and whatnot will be the same. At least that's what I learned so far.

Let's have a little faith.

So this means that in the WORST CASE SCENARIO people will be able to buy in dollars in the old price ?

Guri

Yeah, nothing wrong with him, he seems like a good person. Its just that his motivations were kind of all over the place. Jogo Justo started well, but it seems he kinda lost his focus and started to try many things at once. idk And then the Steam fiasco happened and yeah, I can't say it was a good thing for him and his projects, but then again, I can't blame him, I mean the industry here is kinda fucked up anyway, so yeah, at least he tried I guess.

When he said that Steam needed to be taxed, he really meant what's happening now: Being officially here. And, by that, obeying the rules. And Valve did an idea to do better than what was supposed to happen. This deal with "BoaCompra" is great.

Anyway, if you guys want to discuss this, I'd be happy to talk by PM. My development company is associated with ACIGAMES and I think I can talk more about this now. I just wouldn't like to go off-topic here. Let this be a topic about Steam in Brazil only! :)

Mazzo

Steam is already pretty good to brazilian gamers. It's funny how skeptical we seem to get over people messing with one of the only places we can get fair prices on games.

GWX

Cheaper than the current conversion rate, just like eShop (well, except for the retail games sold through it)! Awesome news, at least for now =)

Top Bottom