• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil gets its own special pricing policy on Steam (and its currency)

cand

Can any brazilian say if this is any good? I don't know whats the current price of games over there.

Yes this is good for us. For comparison a digital copy of New Super Mario Bros. 2 on eshop costs R$149,99 for us... this is ≃ $73,67... same price for Art Academy and Crosswords too... but only retail too games are that high priced, the eshop exclusive ones are actually cheaper than in US's eshop.

All (and by all I mean Dinosaur Hunter) points that yes

So this means that in the WORST CASE SCENARIO people will be able to buy in dollars in the old price ?
Yes, all sales are controlled by Steam and it will be the same as usual. We are not getting a brazilian Steam store, we're being given the opportunity to buy in reais instead of dollars with brazilian credit cards.

According to the first post once they change the currency to Real the option to buy in dollars will no longer be available.
We still don't know if we'll be able to change it back to US dollars, that's to be confirmed.

100% bromance.
I can confirm that :p

EDIT:

I bet Brazil and dinosaur_hunter2 conversation went something like this
Pretty much HAHAHA

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Must... not... quote... dinosaur's avatar...

Offtopic: Just noticed, I became a member, after 4 years!
fireworks.gif
4 years? I became one 2 or 3 days ago, and been here for only 3 months, lol.

Platy

Your avatar has glasses and a hat .... I never saw him before xD

Yes, all sales are controlled by Steam and it will be the same as usual. We are not getting a brazilian Steam store, we're being given the opportunity to buy in reais instead of dollars with brazilian credit cards.

We still don't know if we'll be able to change it back to US dollars, that's to be confirmed.

Paypal payment will still be an option, right ?

....just making sure =x

MasLegio

Banned
I meant real average, for example how much public school teacher earns.

But by examples already posted i think its similar situation to Polish, that console games cost 1/10 of normal month wage.
Steam should now consider Polish market too, because we pay way too much on their marketplace [Czechs too i think]
Normal wage in Poland is something like 1900-2300 PLN and Steam asks for XCom 49E so 200 PLN.
In retail, PC games cost 99 - 129PLN and consoles games 189 - 219PLN.

everyone who pays in Euro € on Steam is paying too much

thats why I never buy new games on Steam anymore. Just buy directly from Steam when they have sales. Otherwise I buy Steamgames on greenmangaming or amazon.com.

M3d10n

To the Brazilians thinking things like available games and deals are going to change: they already have. Steam has had a Brazil region, with different prices and content for over a year already. All Valve's games are actually a bit cheaper. A few games are more expensive (mostly EA stuff) and a very few aren't available (famous banned games like Carmaggedon and Manhunt).

Also, TF2's Brazilian Portuguese translation is excellent and clearly done by (internet-savvy) natives. Some comedy gold stuff in the achievement names. I also couldn't stop laughing at the translation for Pyrovision's "BEST FRIENDS" and "BROKE UP" messages.

Yeah, more payment options is a good thing.

But the prices probably won't be nice at all.

Why not? The competition is already selling $59.99 PC games for R$99, why couldn't Valve?

Salsa

Nice! Congrats to my Brasil bros

suffice to say we won't see something like this on Uruguay/Argentina, but I'll deal :p

Wonder what this will mean for region locking tho since games are basically cheaper there now, right?

ledman

A lot of people I know here ignore Steam because they don't own international credit card, steam sales will have a little boost over here.

spootime

Sounds cool. Now they just need to make South american Dota 2 servers and lock ips to your region in matchmaking.

Sblargh

Banned
I see nothing wrong with the prices. Looks like standard conversion rate without the weird at-least-50% increase that people usually charge for games.

Zeroth

Great prices. PC gaming is technically okay in retail, but having the option to get any PC title for cheap is great and I'm glad for it

Fivefold

Banned
I'm brazilian and honestly I don't think this changes much. Right now the real is a bit undervalued, but I can see it easily falling back to the 1,85-1,90 range next year.

We save a bit with their current conversion rates but might have to suffer different release windows, different DRM schemes, etc.

The main appeal IMO is for lower class people without international credit cards (I can easily see a lot of kids spending money on the Dota 2 store and not much else).

Oh, and at work pretty much everyone on my department have a steam account with lots of game purchases and/or a ps3/360. Gaming is extremely mainstream for middle/upper class young adults.

ledman

Can someone give me the cliffnotes on this guy? Can't find any English articles on him on Google.

His name is Moacyr Alves Júnior, he is the president of ACIGAMES, a association created to help to improve the brazilian games market (digital or retail) and stimulate the cultural perception of the game industry in Brazil.
A few months ago he tried to convince Valve to use servers in Brazil and open a office here but they declined, one of the reason is to tax Steam, but users in Brazil already pay taxes when they buy games on steam, is called IOF( tax over credit operation).
People accuse him of trying to protect the traditional retail market that exist here, but it seems that he already give up the idea.

Can someone give me the cliffnotes on this guy? Can't find any English articles on him on Google.

In the beggining, he had this movement called Jogo Justo (something like 'Fair Game'), that claimed lower prices for games. Our gaming community really supported him. This guy now works for the Brazilian goverment and speaks about taxing Steam games and stuff.

Big-E

I basically think this, like special pricing for CIS-Russia and India and China, is a pretty good idea.

It's a temporary measure at best and I don't like the way companies game globalization to access new markets while at the same time expecting developed world customers not to revolt against price stratification, and I'm very much against region locking or anti-import provisions that prevent consumers from taking advantage of this stuff.

But in a temporary context, in these specific geographical areas, in this specific industry, it seems like the right thing to do.

I am in China and my prices are the same as NA. I wish they had Russian style pricing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am in China and my prices are the same as NA. I wish they had Russian style pricing.

Yeah Steam has been a bit slow getting to it and they've just done Russia/CIS and now Brazil, but I more meant the principle of just generally selling software or movies or any other intellectual property at deep discounts in piracy-ridden developing markets.

elsk

Banned
Great for Brazil, now we need similar policies for the rest of Latin America! We earn less money than the average yank and still we have to pay more money for games, it's not logical.

mantidor

This better not Happen in Colombia, I Dont wanna start paying $99 for every new release again.

R$99 are not US$99, we would actually pay less, R$99 is around $100000 pesos (Actually a bit less, like $88000 pesos).

However right now it would not be convenient for us because the peso is freaking strong right now, so paying in dollars is way better for us.

Well for you because you still live in Colombia, even the real is falling behind the peso, as seen by that conversion. Stupid rising economy, the colombian peso had to start rising right after I left the country :/ sending money home is painful.

Wiktor

The article don't mention the first, second and third countries, but it should be the US, Japan and the UK.

Main facts from the article:

- The games industry generated 840 million reais in 2011 (about 413 million US Dollars)
- 7,1% Growth YOY
- 23% of the brazilian population plays videogames on some level (about 45,2 million people)
- Mostly plays on Console, followed by PC, Smartphones and tablets, and handhelds.
- Only 53% of the videogames players are male. A huge untapped female market is in here.

413 mln dollars is nowhere near enough to be placed fourth. Germany is over 2 billions a year, CHina is over 5 billion, Russia is 1,5 billion. Small Poland alone is 400 mln

Arucardo

Now how about fixing the crazy 1 $ = 1 € in EU Gabe?

Isn't the 1 usd = 1 eur thing partly because of sales tax in eu? Granted it should still be a little less even with the sales tax included.

Buying anything at full retail on steam over here is ludicrous, often times the games cost half as much at retail compared to steam prices. Outside of sales Steam is pretty pointless for me when it comes to "big" games. I've never pre-ordered a "AAA" game on steam and at this rate never will.

Indie and smaller games like CS:GO are fine though and I don't mind buying them straight from steam.

Platy

What ??? What ????
WHAAAATTTT ???

I entered on this thread SECONDS after the edit time =|

Too bad I could not read it and nobody would pm me what was written .... right ? =/

....right ? =x

Zeroth

413 mln dollars is nowhere near enough to be placed fourth. Germany is over 2 billions a year, CHina is over 5 billion, Russia is 1,5 billion. Small Poland alone is 400 mln

To be honest, Brazil also has one of the biggest piracy rates in the industry. The fact it generates over 400 million despite that is pretty interesting, and ultimately shows why it is placed in 4th market-wise.

Platy

I fucking saw an official "Master System Evolution" on sale yesterday at a big retail chain, so I really doubt that.

You know, this one: http://www.tectoy.com.br/produto_interna.php?id=70, with 132 games built in!

Product Description said:
Jogos clássicos - Sonic the Hedgehog, Alex Kidd in the Miracle World, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Shinobi, Shadow dancer, Battle Outrun, Fantasy Zone, Hang On, Renegate e muito mais!

...BATTLE outrun ?

It is like ... Twisted Metal with beaches and ferraris ?

Platy

Received an email from steam

Valve Press <lombardi@valvesoftware.com> said:
Dear Steam User, Steam will soon be priced in Brazilian Reais! If your Steam wallet has any money in it on November 6, 2012, your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to Reais, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion. To view your account balance, simply log into the Steam client or store and visit your account details at https://store.steampowered.com/account.

Thanks, The Steam Support Team http://www.steampowered.com

e2V8c.jpg

Pretty good news I think. I already have a giant backlog of games that I don't even started yet, but based Gabe sure know how to make me buy more...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's on, bitches.

Dishonored is R$ 119,99.

However, Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is R$ 99,99

Meaning that Dishonored is around 60 USD, Black Ops 2 is around 50 USD.

I still don't know about this, you guys...

Top Bottom