• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

louiedog

It's both Serena and Venus. The Doctor gets split into two people who travel together. A binary Doctor.

And due to vaguely defined time travel rules they can't exist in a different time and space for very long or bad things will happen. Surely this won't lead to tense drama in 3 or 4 episodes.

tomtom94

The "why I don't think it's Marshall" post (I might copy this into the other thread):

1) He had already filmed his exit to Death in Paradise by the time it was announced Capaldi was leaving. The only way he could have chosen to leave specifically to take over is if he was tipped off by Chibnall / his agent well in advance - we're talking around the time they announced Chibnall was taking over - to allow DiP producers to write him out and cast his replacement.

2) He has spoken publicly about the impact working on Death in Paradise had on his family life. Doctor Who would arguably be worse as it requires more episodes and it's filmed in Cardiff.

3) The original Mirror article that all the press picked up explicitly said he'd already been cast. The BBC's statement was that no casting decisions for series 11 had been made; BBC are not allowed to lie in press releases.

4) Last time a casting decision was actually, properly leaked (Tennant) the BBC decided to pre-empt it and just announce it already; can't see why they wouldn't do that here.

5) The original Mirror article also said he would appear in series 10, before the Christmas special. He has not yet appeared.

6) Marshall would be a solid choice, he sold me on Death in Paradise when I assumed Ben Miller leaving would kill it. I just genuinely don't think it's him!

EDIT: God damn it who jinxed it, we're stuck in the sodding time vortex Community again

I'm rewatching Tennant right now and as much as I love 10, I don't want him back. He had quite the arc and comign back would make a mess of that.

I loved the dark turn he took in the specials.

I *would* take a new Multi-Doctor story with him in it in heartbeat, though.

tomtom94

Seems like Douglas Mackinnon is staying on for series 11: https://twitter.com/drmuig/status/885928944612126720

If so, notable, in so far as one of Moffat's first edicts as showrunner was to get rid of the "old guard" of directors and bring in some fresh faces to Doctor Who - indeed all of the directors for series five were new to the series.

(Wondering if Euros Lyn and James Strong, who left the show as a result and worked on Broadchurch with Chibnall, might return, or if they're happy where they are now; Graeme Harper likewise)

If so, notable, in so far as one of Moffat's first edicts as showrunner was to get rid of the "old guard" of directors and bring in some fresh faces to Doctor Who - indeed all of the directors for series five were new to the series.

(Wondering if Euros Lyn and James Strong, who left the show as a result and worked on Broadchurch with Chibnall, might return, or if they're happy where they are now; Graeme Harper likewise)

I'd love to see all three back - I think they're all great. They just need to be paired with other staff who can maintain the cinematic look, one of the best things Moffat's era gave us.

Is Harper even still directing? He's well into his 70s now.

My main wonder is Murray Gold. He's been doing the show for twelve years now - he must, surely, have had enough? His work is stellar but I wonder if now is the time where he walks away. For a while there it felt like Ben Foster would be his natural replacement (Foster did Torchwood's music with Gold, orchestrated/arranged the DW music for the various concerts, etc) but Foster is now off doing other things also - most recently he's responsible for the score for the new CGI Thunderbirds cartoon (and honestly, it's not a bad show but the score is definitely the best thing about it)

I wonder if we're gonna get any look at the new branding or any peek at the new look of the show...

I like the font they use in the teaser video. I mean, I know it was probably thrown together by an intern and they haven't begun choosing a new logo etc yet but it already feels distinct from the silver/blue of Moffat era stuff.

It's interesting that Moffat kept a few writers and constantly changed the directors while Chibnall seems to be entirely changing the writers and, by the looks of it, keeping some directors.

I assume there will still be a big visual difference between the two though.

tomtom94

Is Harper even still directing? He's well into his 70s now.

He was last year, though Who is obviously a very different beast and he may want a break from it all now.

I assume there will still be a big visual difference between the two though.

Bear in mind, Moffat didn't really get his way with the look of the show until series 6 (and in some cases, not even then *cough Daleks cough*).

My main wonder is Murray Gold. He's been doing the show for twelve years now - he must, surely, have had enough? His work is stellar but I wonder if now is the time where he walks away. For a while there it felt like Ben Foster would be his natural replacement (Foster did Torchwood's music with Gold, orchestrated/arranged the DW music for the various concerts, etc) but Foster is now off doing other things also - most recently he's responsible for the score for the new CGI Thunderbirds cartoon (and honestly, it's not a bad show but the score is definitely the best thing about it)

I assumed they were lining up Blair Mowat to take over. He did Class and, in what felt like a 'practice run', the S10 trailer music that's basically been used ad nauseam for every promo since. Seems like a decent enough successor.

Goldrush

Murray's score was given much more spotlight under Moffat. The companions' themes, in particular, are some of the best tracks in television. I wouldn't be oppose to a ten-fifteen medley during the finale.

Blader

Wouldn't it be something if part of what motivated Moffat into bringing back the First Doctor, and tying his regeneration into Capaldi's, was that the BBC has actually found and restored the last part of The Tenth Planet, and plans to release it around Christmas?

actually, Moffat hasn't spoken at all about bringing back David Bradley for Christmas yet, has he? Hopefully he'll be more forthcoming about it at SDCC next weekend.

tomtom94

He did direct my absolute favourite story of all time Caves of Androzani. Such a pity he only did two shows of the original run and not more of the new series

Honestly - given Moffat's penchant for making NuWho more in line with the classic series - I'm surprised Harper never came back and did more episodes, though whether they talked about it or not I guess we'll never know. It does seem like Harper mainly came back because of Davies and it's entirely possible Moffat just wanted his own team.

Slowdive

Banned
New pic

rZcPqkq.png

There’s new monsters, there’s new jeopardy. But what’s fascinating is the First Doctor confronting the superhero he’s going to become, with his supersize TARDIS and all that.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/15/doctor-who-christmas-special-steven-moffat/

Ash735

Just got round to watching the finale, now that's how to do things! Also really have to say John Simm as The Master was brilliant, always knew RTD just wrote him wrong previously. Found it incredibly fitting that The Master is the one to kill Missy when Missy pretty much killed The Master in her incarnation (and quite literally physically), just found it a complete joy that in a multi-Master story, they just end up stabbing each other in the back, sums up the character perfectly.

In my rewatch, I am finding that episodes I didn't like have aged better than I thought. Case in point, Gridlock. Used to hate it, but it's actually pretty good.

So what style do you think they will go with for 13?

Hopefully something as good as Capaldi's Velvet Jacket

They could so something with trousers, or maybe go for a cool dress?

I hope that hairstyle stays though, love it

tomtom94

So what style do you think they will go with for 13?

Hopefully something as good as Capaldi's Velvet Jacket

They could so something with trousers, or maybe go for a cool dress?

I hope that hairstyle stays though, love it

I'm expecting trousers, if only because constantly trying to shoot around not giving the audience a shot of Jodie Whittaker's nether regions would get rather exhausting. Unsure about anything else, was thinking some kind of suit but remember Smith was supposed to be a pirate at one point so who knows. I'm sure they have a good idea.

Kneefoil

A female Doc was pretty much expected to happen during the next showrunner's era. I guess we're starting with it.

Don't think I've seen anything with Jodie Whittaker before, but I'm looking forward to it.

So do you think they at least told Moffat before hand it was gonna be a women?

Because his final arch being about the Doctor refusing change only to inevitably accept it and in the end change himself in the biggest way he has ever changed seems like the kinda thing that makes too much sense not to be planned.

I know the Beeb keeps the new doctor stuff on lockdown and NO ONE knows but I wonder how many people would be let in on it

Slowdive

Banned
So do you think they at least told Moffat before hand it was gonna be a women?

Because his final arch being about the Doctor refusing change only to inevitably accept it and in the end change himself in the biggest way he has ever changed seems like the kinda thing that makes too much sense not to be planned.

I know the Beeb keeps the new doctor stuff on lockdown and NO ONE knows but I wonder how many people would be let in on it

This is also a swan song for Moffat, who is handing over showrunning duties to Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall before the episode’s end, and claims even he doesn’t know the identity of Capaldi’s replacement. “It’s my show up to the point Mr. Capaldi regenerates,” explains Moffat. “Then it passes to Chris, and he worries about the last section.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/15/doctor-who-christmas-special-steven-moffat/

Then again, Moffat lies.

tomtom94

All the female Doctor stuff is perfectly in keeping with Moffat's usual fanbaiting. The fact that Chibnall said he always knew he wanted her to be a woman does make me wonder, though. EDIT: Bear in mind Doctor Falls was filmed in April.

I mean, Capaldi was clearly told enough in advance to get a quote in the press release. And Chibnall claims he always wanted a female Doctor. I can't see how that wouldn't have come up in their discussions. If anything I bet Moffat claimed ignorance to stop people bothering him about it.

I like to imagine Moffat, RTD and Chibnall have a secret Snapchat group and they immediately text each other after each episode airs.

Top Bottom