• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Ceej

what the hell is going on with the series 10 blu-ray releases? After going through the buying parts, then complete and selling parts sets bs with series 9 I wanted to hold out and get the complete outright... but there's no list for it and now it's showing that even the part 2 set won't release until sept. 5 on both Amazon and Best Buy (US) (EDIT: Amazon UK still shows 7/24)

what the hell is going on with the series 10 blu-ray releases? After going through the buying parts, then complete and selling parts sets bs with series 9 I wanted to hold out and get the complete outright... but there's no list for it and now it's showing that even the part 2 set won't release until sept. 5 on both Amazon and Best Buy (US) (EDIT: Amazon UK still shows 7/24)

the full set is probably being held over till after new year so they can bundle the Christmas Special with it

Tizoc

I am having a hard time stickng to watch 4th Doctor's series mainly because they are 4-6 parters and each is 20 mins long and i pref if the pacing were a little faster

I might just jump into 7th doctor instead

8bit

Knows the Score
I am having a hard time stickng to watch 4th Doctor's series mainly because they are 4-6 parters and each is 20 mins long and i pref if the pacing were a little faster

Arguably the best way to watch those is as a whole story in one go, but the pacing is pretty awful. Maybe find some stories that interest you and try them, there's some fun stuff in there but also K9 & Adric.

tomtom94

Interesting fact I didn't know about Lie of the Land, courtesy of TVTropes:

Executive producer Steven Moffat's own mother passed away while this three-part story was being produced, which — by Moffat's own admission — led to the plotting issues it has.

Production is a hell of a job - it's not like you can take much time off. Didn't Rusty have personal issues during series 3 as well?

Its unfortunate what happened with the Monk trilogy.

Extremis was absolutely fantastic and has one hell of an ending.

TPATEPTW is alright, not perfect and a little contrived, but has some good character work along with another good ending.

The Lie of the Land just needed a lot more tweaking. Primarily because the fake out just does not work. Like not at all. It makes the while thing seem trivial

tuffy

It's all relative, of course. Coming from the 3rd Doctor's era with its 3, 5-6 parters per year, the 4th Doctor's era feels positively zippy since it's mostly 4 parters. But it's going to take some getting used to if you're accustomed to the New Series.

The "The Happiness Patrol" link on the other thread made me think ...

So .. list time!

Top 5 Old Who episodes ?

Wow.

Hmm. My personal list.

1. City of Death (This episode is a personal soft spot for me.)
2. The Time Meddler
3. War Games
4. Resurrection of the Daleks
5. The Caves of Androzani

It will probably complete change with more thought put into it but that's off the top of my head.

tuffy

So .. list time!

Top 5 Old Who episodes ?
The order's not precise, but my current list is probably:
  1. Genesis of the Daleks
  2. Inferno
  3. The Invasion
  4. The Seeds of Doom
  5. The Robots of Death
It's generally something out of series 6 (that 2nd Doctor/Jamie/Zoe crew), something out of series 7, and the rest out of series 12-14.

M.Bluth

Interesting fact I didn't know about Lie of the Land, courtesy of TVTropes:

Production is a hell of a job - it's not like you can take much time off. Didn't Rusty have personal issues during series 3 as well?

I don't remember for which of the 3 parter episodes it was, but one of them he was writing next to his mother's hospital bed. That was depressing to read.

Russell had to quit Torchwood, IIRC, since his husband was pretty ill, and he himself was really sick while working on Who's S3.

So .. list time!

Top 5 Old Who episodes ?

Tough question.

My personal faves, in no particular order :

The Ark in Space
The Robots of Death
The Monster of Peladon
The Sunmakers
The Enemy of the World

HM:
The Dalek's Master Plan
The Gunfighters
The Web Planet
The Mind Robber
Spearhead from Space
Inferno
The Pirate Planet
City of Death
Black Orchid
Enlightenment
The Two Doctors
The Happiness Patrol

So .. list time!

Top 5 Old Who episodes ?

stories rather than eps

Caves of Androzani
Talons of Weng Chiang
Remembrance of the Daleks
Spearhead from Space
Robots of Death

Happiness patrol is def on my bottom 5. I think it's abominable.

Platy

Damn I seriously need to find a way to see those old episodes ... from those lists I only saw City of Death, Spearhead from Space and The Ark in Space =|

iMax

For those interested, Capaldi's salary for Doctor Who has been revealed, amongst others, as a result of the public service nature of the BBC.

He's one of the highest paid actors on their books, with an annual salary band of £200,000 - £249,999.

mjc

Fires of Pompeii is becoming the most rewatchable episode of NuWho

tumblr_nq5napUbzs1tsfx8ro4_400.gif

tumblr_nq5napUbzs1tsfx8ro5_400.gif

INCREDIBLE

For those interested, Capaldi's salary for Doctor Who has been revealed, amongst others, as a result of the public service nature of the BBC.

He's one of the highest paid actors on their books, with an annual salary band of £200,000 - £249,999.
That's about half of what Tennant was making, for what it's worth.

Tizoc

Yeah, if anything I did enjoy the first Davros story from 4's first series, but the later ones didn't interest me.

Vibranium

Banned

So .. list time!

Top 5 Old Who episodes ?

1. City of Death
2. The Caves of Androzani
3. Genesis of the Daleks
4. Spearhead from Space
5. The War Games.

This is not really an accurate list at all just stuff that comes to mind. I recommend seeing City of Death to everyone, Romana II is great.

tomtom94

Moffat Q&A

Of note, when asked what he would change from his time on the show:

"There's one mistake that rankles me to this day because it's just wrong. There's a scene at the end of a season 5 episode called 'Flesh and Stone' where Amy (Karen Gillan) comes on to the Doctor (Matt Smith) and it's a very good idea for a series because she's been through this traumatic experience and she doesn't quite know who or what the Doctor is or what his interest is in her.

"There's a brilliant scene to be written there and I entirely avoided writing it. I played it for laughs and it's so wrong."

Blader

Moffat Q&A

I'm not sure how much of a good idea there actually is in there, but I agree it was a bad turn -- and a pretty pointless one, since it's swept under the rug almost immediately.

Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone is one of my favorite Moffat stories (and Who stories period) but the very end does stick out like a sore thumb.

So .. list time!

Top 5 Old Who episodes ?

Ooph, that's a toughie. Been ages since I watched Old Who.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order...

- Caves of Androzani
- Talons of Weng-Chiang
- Inferno
- Genesis of the Daleks
- The Face of Evil

I might change some around if I go back and revisit Old Who soon (and I probably will, now that we've got Jodie Whittaker coming in for Thirteen down the line), but those are the five that come to mind off the top of my head.

As you can probably tell, the bulk of my favorite stuff from Old Who is that Gothic Era of Tom Baker's run in Doctor Who during the mid-70's. I think I'd probably have one or two stories from Seven and Ace's run in my overall Top 10 too, but I'm not sure which at this moment.

I'm not sure how much of a good idea there actually is in there, but I agree it was a bad turn -- and a pretty pointless one, since it's swept under the rug almost immediately.

Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone is one of my favorite Moffat stories (and Who stories period) but the very end does stick out like a sore thumb.

I think there's perhaps a way to do it, with the Doctor just flat out asking Amy "What the hell are you doing?" and Amy having a massive crisis of conscience/ breakdown/ pointing out how much the Doctor screwed her life up so much that she's acting like this.

But as you say, that would require more follow up which doesn't happen at all. Other than the Doctor jumping out of Rory's cake which will never not be fantastic.

PaulloDEC

So .. list time!

Top 5 Old Who episodes ?

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

> Spearhead from Space
> Tomb of the Cybermen
> City of Death
> Survival
> Pyramids of Mars

Honorable mentions:

> The Dalek Invasion of Earth
> The War Games
> The Mind Robber
> Inferno

Goldrush

Moffat Q&A

Love the scene in a meta way. The scene told me definitely that Moffat was moving away from the lovesick Doctor of the RTD era and embracing his "alien-ness" for the series. Thought the flippant execution reinforced that message. It's almost like he was trolling the shippers. A serious take, even with a stern denial, would only told the audience to take the pairing seriously.

Horsefly

Hate the idea of infidelity so this scene always made me squirm a little. Has a very Graduate feel to it as well when you consider River...

That's exactly why I liked it (not the River bit, although...).

It set a dynamic up between the three of them and made Rory the absolute hero. Being Rory the Roman and doing what he did was made all the sweeter because of the seeming imbalance in the relationship. Then to have that gut wrenching scene at the beginning of series 6 with him overhearing Amy talking through the mic, only to then find out she was talking about him; brilliant character arc. I wouldn't ever want that scene changed.

Amy was no angel, and was all the better for it.

tomtom94

They're definitely showing one at the panel, but it's a toss up as to if they'll release it online - some years they have, some they haven't.

Last year the trailer didn't come out until NYCC in October, so it seems unlikely they're release one this early, but then I was expecting to find out the new Doctor next month so guess we'll have to wait and see!

M.Bluth

I don't care about getting the clip, tbh, I'm more interested in the panel itself (even though we'll get boring questions like where you'd go if you had a TARDIS for the nth time)
Moffat only having one episode's worth of secrets to lie about is bound to be fun.

tomtom94

I don't care about getting the clip, tbh, I'm more interested in the panel itself (even though we'll get boring questions like where you'd go if you had a TARDIS for the nth time)
Moffat only having one episode's worth of secrets to lie about is bound to be fun.

I reckon we might get a hint at some plot details but nothing major. My big question is who the villain is going to be since we've just had Twelve's recurring foes in Missy and the Cybermen and neither Daleks nor Time Lords seem really to fit.

I reckon we might get a hint at some plot details but nothing major. My big question is who the villain is going to be since we've just had Twelve's recurring foes in Missy and the Cybermen and neither Daleks nor Time Lords seem really to fit.

I reckon we'll get /a/ Dalek. Thing is, multi-Doctor stories always have the foes secondary anyway (look at the Daleks & Zygons in Day), so it doesn't really matter in the end.

I wonder if Moffat can resist the temptation of doing the 1st Doctor with a newer monster that Hartnell never got to see, though. One of his own? I could see Weeping Angels in the snow (again) - it was a good image for Time of the Doctor, but ultimately barely used, and Capaldi has never actually had a Weeping Angels story... and it remains Moffat's most significant monster, since he never quite managed to create something so iconic in his own tenure. Plus there'd be a time-bending aspect to that Moffat would enjoy - every time we've seen the Doctor he's known about the Weeping Angels (and the 5th does in Big Finish, even), so it'd be a chance to showcase the first time they ever meet.

tomtom94

I wonder if Moffat can resist the temptation of doing the 1st Doctor with a newer monster that Hartnell never got to see, though. One of his own? I could see Weeping Angels in the snow (again) - it was a good image for Time of the Doctor, but ultimately barely used, and Capaldi has never actually had a Weeping Angels story... and it remains Moffat's most significant monster, since he never quite managed to create something so iconic in his own tenure. Plus there'd be a time-bending aspect to that Moffat would enjoy - every time we've seen the Doctor he's known about the Weeping Angels (and the 5th does in Big Finish, even), so it'd be a chance to showcase the first time they ever meet.
I'm not sure if I should make a joke about the Silence's power to make you forget them or if this just rather shows how badly they got misused :(

The other benefit of the Weeping Angels is they would make for an excellent excuse for the First Doctor to disappear.

EDIT: I've just realised that It's A Wonderful Life is a famous Christmas story and Moffat hasn't done that one yet...

Tizoc

So something I've been thinking lately: Is Susan really the Doctor's biological granddaughter or is she someone he decided to look after as a foster father?

tuffy

So something I've been thinking lately: Is Susan really the Doctor's biological granddaughter or is she someone he decided to look after as a foster father?
There's no indication she's anything other than his biological granddaughter in the show. As I recall, the New Series even placed them together just prior to the first Doctor's escape during Clara's timestream jumping shenanigans, which wouldn't happen if he just picked her up somewhere along the way.

Tizoc

There's no indication she's anything other than his biological granddaughter in the show. As I recall, the New Series even placed them together just prior to the first Doctor's escape during Clara's timestream jumping shenanigans, which wouldn't happen if he just picked her up somewhere along the way.

Sorry, I meant foster father while he was on Gallifrey.
I'm guessing Doctor, over time, got fed up doing the usual Time Lord business and convinced Susan to tag along as they went off spelunking through time and space.

Top Bottom