• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Frozen in a single moment of time is a solid enough excuse for drawing old characters back in.

I kinda wish the episode could just be The Doctor, Puddle Bill and Nearly Dead Clara solving the mystery together. And then Nardole, Heather and Ashildr hanging out in a pub together, waiting for everyone to get back.

Speculation from the trailer:

Seems very unclear who the antagonist for this story might be and it's interesting that Gatiss has been announced as some kind of major character yet seems to disappear at some point past his introductory scenes. Makes me wonder whether his character will actually turn out to be the bad guy of the story.

tomtom94

"Trapped inside a single moment" is reminiscent of Wedding of River Song. I'm thinking the First Doctor refuses to regenerate and we get to see some of the consequences.

Having Bill back is nice.

...Gatiss is really distracting but I'll get over it.

Maximo

Aww man rewatching Doctor Who and just finished the The Angels Take Manhattan episode fuck I really liked Amy and Rory in the end the ending always gets me...

tomtom94

Hah- the frozen WWI soldier is apparently played by Toby Whithouse! :D

I do hope this doesn't mean Whithouse is leaving (whenever he's done cameos before it's usually in a show's final series). As much as the fanbase ragged on Lie of the Land he's one of the few writers who can actually pull off a "Doctor has a moral conflict" plot.

Remember that "Trust Me" show that people began theorizing it was a fake show to hide the casting of Jodie Whittaker?

Well, here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmELIRcuuXY

So Suits with doctors and more tragic?

M.Bluth

I do hope this doesn't mean Whithouse is leaving (whenever he's done cameos before it's usually in a show's final series). As much as the fanbase ragged on Lie of the Land he's one of the few writers who can actually pull off a "Doctor has a moral conflict" plot.

Are we even getting any previous writer for s11? Either way, I'm curious to see how many writers the BBC will provide for Chibnall's writers' room.

tomtom94

Are we even getting any previous writer for s11? Either way, I'm curious to see how many writers the BBC will provide for Chibnall's writers' room.
Well, we don't know anything besides the Radio Times saying Chibnall was looking to put together a writer's room and Mathieson's AMA in which he said he hadn't been approached and thought Chibnall was working with people he'd worked with before. But there's no official confirmation of anything.

I reckon we'll hear more details in a big block closer to Christmas; remember we spent last year being drip-fed.

(I've done a bit of research on this so if anyone's interested I could write up a list of potential s11 writers and their likelihood)

I've seriously, profoundly gone off Whithouse as a writer. Even his best script (The God Complex, by a mile) is riddled with serious flaws, and his worst scripts are unwatchable in a way that we haven't seen since Stephen Thompson stopped getting invited back.

A few years ago I was calling for him to be showrunner, but Being Human was a LONG time ago now.

Nah, it cant be the brig, he wasnt born until around 1929/1930.
Unless they fuck about with the timeline for him, its probably the brigs father.

I thought it might be Churchill, though Gatiss is obviously not going out of his way to play that part. But Churchill's commission with the Scots Fusiliers was a Lieutenant-Colonel, and Gatiss's uniform and demeanour suggest a much more lowly rank. The conspicuous absence of helmets also suggests an earlier point in the war, long before Churchill resigned from the Admiralty following the Gallipoli debacle.

So, given that this is a Christmas episode, I agree with somebody's suggestion that this is going to be about the 1914 Christmas Truce.

There may well be a Brigadier connection, but if so it's going to be his father.

I've seriously, profoundly gone off Whithouse as a writer. Even his best script (The God Complex, by a mile) is riddled with serious flaws, and his worst scripts are unwatchable in a way that we haven't seen since Stephen Thompson stopped getting invited back.

A few years ago I was calling for him to be showrunner, but Being Human was a LONG time ago now.

I still have a huge soft spot for Vampires of Venice but I think a lot of that is the visuals.

It's interesting, actually, that a lot of Whithouse's episodes have great synopses or elevator pitches, but actually rewatching them makes you notice their glaring problems.

tomtom94

I still have a huge soft spot for Vampires of Venice but I think a lot of that is the visuals.

It's interesting, actually, that a lot of Whithouse's episodes have great synopses or elevator pitches, but actually rewatching them makes you notice their glaring problems.

For me it's the other way around, the dialogue in Venice is fun but the visuals are sloppy. And I don't think it's that great. But I greatly enjoyed my rewatch of God Complex earlier.

I don't much like any of his stories except Under the Lake/Before the Flood. And even that's not amazing or anything, just solid.

On a different note, I'm near the end of S4 on my rewatch, and it's cemented for me that S3-4 was the peak of the show. The Capaldi seasons have gotten better each year, but nothing beats S3-4.

I'll see if I warm up to S5-7 the second time around, but I doubt they'll suddenly be better than this. Silence in the Library is pretty amazing is how much is going on and still hangs together. It's epic.

I don't much like any of his stories except Under the Lake/Before the Flood. And even that's not amazing or anything, just solid.

On a different note, I'm near the end of S4 on my rewatch, and it's cemented for me that S3-4 was the peak of the show. The Capaldi seasons have gotten better each year, but nothing beats S3-4.

I'll see if I warm up to S5-7 the second time around, but I doubt they'll suddenly be better than this. Silence in the Library is pretty amazing is how much is going on and still hangs together. It's epic.
3-5 is definitely an extremely strong run, but I think 9 and 10 are definitely pretty high quality as well

3-5 is definitely an extremely strong run, but I think 9 and 10 are definitely pretty high quality as well

They're good. But I am loving the rewatch.

S5 is the one I wonder about the most. I liked it OK (with reservations) the first time, but I didn't like Smith. But after S6-7, I'll probably view is more favorably.

Pagusas

Elden Member
They're good. But I am loving the rewatch.

S5 is the one I wonder about the most. I liked it OK (with reservations) the first time, but I didn't like Smith. But after S6-7, I'll probably view is more favorably.

I don't think you will. Smith was horrible in season 5 and the writing was too. I disliked the whole run though (I don't blame smith he grew on me, I blame the writing). I didn't realize how much I hated it until I went back and started rewatching seasons 1-4, my god 3 and 4 just obliterate everything else with how good they can be (yes there is trash in there, but the highs are untouchable)

Blader

I think S5 is far and away the best year of Who. It's the only one I can think of as being not just a great season of Doctor Who but a great season of television, period. Even its bad episodes aren't all that bad. It certainly helps that the whole thing is kicked off by what's probably the ultimate (new) Who episode with The Eleventh Hour.

4 and 5 are the best pair - 5 has higher highs and lower lows whereas 4 is more consistent. I'd say they're about equal though.

I really much prefer the characterisation of Smith's Doctor in Series 5 though. They soften him significantly as the series progresses (and in this you can even sense the filming order at work - he's kinder in The Eleventh Hour (third filmed) than Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone (first/second), and kinder still in stuff like The Lodger.

Those early days though, where he's truly furious at Amy for disobeying an order, or where he actually snaps and shouts at River "What else have you got?!" -- it's a way more interesting take. I always figured that was a hang-up from when Moffat had originally intended to cast someone older than Tennant, someone darker, grumpier, since those earliest-filmed scripts were written six or more months before Smith was cast. I actually prefer that version of 11 though. We ultimately got this again with the early days of 12, though the weird thing is that Capaldi is better as the fairytale magical professor with a twinkle in his eye as he is later than the angry man, whereas I think Smith is actually better as the angry, eccentric young man with explosive energy than he is the fairytale alien (though he's very good in that opposite children).

I'm dedicated to finishing this season, but it certainly isn't great. I feel bad for Capaldi, I feel like with better writing he would have been a great Doctor, after Season 9 I'm ready for him to go...

Edit: The Monks are just a poor mans Silence...

I absolutely love Peter Capaldi (The Thick of It is one of my favorite shows) but I stopped watching after his second episode in Season 8. I binged 8 and 9 over the weekend and man, I think he may be my favorite doctor. Heaven Sent was a brilliant episode of television and one of my favorites of the new series. It broke my heart a little bit.

I'm starting season 10 tonight. I'm so bummed it's already over for him but I'm also really looking forward to seeing what Jodie Whittaker can do.

Also... you guys having to wait 400+ days between season 9 and 10 is one of the reasons I stopped watching back in Season 8. I watched all of Tennant and Smith's seasons as they aired and the waits between seasons can be absolutely excruciating. It's pretty nice to be able to binge 3 seasons in a row for a change.

Also... you guys having to wait 400+ days between season 9 and 10 is one of the reasons I stopped watching back in Season 8. I watched all of Tennant and Smith's seasons as they aired and the waits between seasons can be absolutely excruciating.

Actually I watched and enjoyed Class last year. It seems to have disappeared without trace, but it did help at the time.

Mr. Sam

Whoa, whoa, whoa. People are shitting on season five? That's probably my favourite season of NuWho. In fact, Chibnall's episodes are really the only ones from that season that I really don't like (and boy do I really not like them!).

(And boy do I really not like any of his episodes! Roll on season eleven!)

Whoa, whoa, whoa. People are shitting on season five? That's probably my favourite season of NuWho. In fact, Chibnall's episodes are really the only ones from that season that I really don't like (and boy do I really not like them!).

(And boy do I really not like any of his episodes! Roll on season eleven!)
Yeah, I love season 5.

Felt kinda like a fairytale, and I loved the new doctor/companions relationship. It's one of the few NuWho seasons where I actually enjoyed the overall season's story and I can actually remember what happens. A lot of the recent ones I can barely remember what happened in them outside of a few scenes.

tomtom94

Season 5 is easy to like because it's a good blend of what RTD set up and Moffat's indulgences. It does have some absolute clunkers, though. Victory of the Daleks is really bad.

Rewatching Chibnall's two-parter now...never really had a problem with any of his episodes personally.

Pretty sure the 5 will be my favorite Smith season. I didn't like it relative to 3 and 4, though. We'll see if I like it more this time around.

It has one of the absolutely best episodes of NuWho, Vincent and the Doctor. That and The Girl Who Waited are my absolute favorite Smith eps, and near the top of my list overall.

Mr. Sam

Season 5 is easy to like because it's a good blend of what RTD set up and Moffat's indulgences. It does have some absolute clunkers, though. Victory of the Daleks is really bad.

But it did set up the long-lived, now iconic new design for the daleks.

Rewatching Chibnall's two-parter now...never really had a problem with any of his episodes personally.

The Hungry Earth drove me round the bend, particularly the mother who tazes a silurian to death and the montage of Amy carrying out diplomatic talks on behalf of humanity.

About Series 5.

The Eleventh Hour is absolutely amazing. The best Doctor intro of the new show, easily.
The Beast Below is not terrible, but not great.
Victory of the Daleks isn't so hot.
I'm far more lukewarm than the average on the Angel 2-parter.
The Vampires of Venice is a bit of a throwaway.
Amy's Choice is great.
The Silurian 2-parter is middling.
Vincent and the Doctor is great, obviously.
The Lodger is.. eh.
The finale 2-parter, well The Big Bang is much better than The Pandorica Opens imo.

Altogether, I think it's a decent, but unspectacular season.

tomtom94

Okay the main thing that is definitely bugging me on a rewatch is Chibnall was clearly setting stuff up to be followed in the future and presumably the opportunity has gone.

(Oh, that and the whole business with future Amy and Rory is presumably non-canon now)

Platy

1DWMbAZ.jpg

JmqsB9N.jpg

agEjYCR.jpg

So Jodie Whitaker with Capaldis clothing ... can't wait

Blader

Tennant looks like a kid trying on his dad's jacket.

On the other hand, I always thought Smith pulled off the Tennant shirt + tie combo in The Eleventh Hour rather nicely.

Top Bottom