• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

tomtom94

They used to write characters out for a week or two throughout the season to give the cast a holiday, or have them appear in pre-filmed inserts but in the case of DIOE, I believe Hartnell suffered an injury during recording of the previous ep.

Quite a bit scarier than that, actually:

During filming, William Hartnell fell after the ramp of the Dalek flying saucer, down which he was being carried by Richard McNeff (Baker), suddenly collapsed. Hartnell fell on a metal camera stand, landing awkwardly on his spine. Although he was temporarily paralysed, he recovered sufficiently to continue the recording, but it was decided he should have the following week off to recover from the bruised back he had sustained.

Blader

They used to film almost all year round in the 60s, so there would be times where one of the characters would get knocked out/put in prison and the actor would go on holiday.

They used to write characters out for a week or two throughout the season to give the cast a holiday, or have them appear in pre-filmed inserts but in the case of DIOE, I believe Hartnell suffered an injury during recording of the previous ep.

Ah that makes sense.

What's interesting about Hartnell's Doctor is that even though the show is in very early days here, and Hartnell is a very different actor from his successors, it's uncanny just how much you can see of other Doctors in him (or rather, vice versa). I can see echoes of Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi in just the handful of episodes I've seen so far.

Vibranium

Banned
Ah that makes sense.

What's interesting about Hartnell's Doctor is that even though the show is in very early days here, and Hartnell is a very different actor from his successors, it's uncanny just how much you can see of other Doctors in him (or rather, vice versa). I can see echoes of Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi in just the handful of episodes I've seen so far.

One of the best examples that reminds me of New Who is in The Aztecs, where The First Doctor ends up having a woman named Cameca fall in love with him and gets engaged! He's enjoying every second of it too and has fallen for her, lol. At the same time, he's manipulating her to gain access to the temple where the TARDIS has landed so they can go home.

One of the best examples that reminds me of New Who is in The Aztecs, where The First Doctor ends up having a woman named Cameca fall in love with him and gets engaged! He's enjoying every second of it too and has fallen for her, lol. At the same time, he's manipulating her to gain access to the temple where the TARDIS has landed so they can go home.

And people say Sylvester McCoy's Doctor was the Machiavellian one!

Does anyone know why the Richard Marson books on Verity Lambert and JNT are so expensive?

Did they go out of print or something?

It's just the publisher, Miwk, who don't want to do ebooks, and also, they are very niche so sell for more in order to recoup their money.

I have read both, both are very good, but the JNT one is amazing.

I don't know how true but Miwk is apparently how
cockneys say milk. Now I can't get the image of Ray Winstone asking for a glass of miwk out of my head

tomtom94

Continuing the "hilarious in hindsight" spots in rewatches (source):

tumblr_ma1xy3QOib1rswo8oo1_500.gif

tumblr_ma1xy3QOib1rswo8oo2_500.gif

- Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (writer C. Chibnall)

(DoaS is fascinating because it's so... not what I expected Chibnall to write. Much like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on Torchwood. And to be honest it tries to juggle too many plates so Robert Webb is wasted. But it's great fun and also manages to throw in one of Smith's best moments with the ending)

Dryk

I still think bringing back Gallifrey outright was dumb, mainly because Gallifrey is crap - as the trip there in Capaldi's tenure showed. I actually think Day of the Doctor's retcon was a stroke of genius, mind, but I think Day of the Doctor, the mysterious assistance in Time of the Doctor and The Master's lie and the Doctor's self-destructive response to it in Series 9 was the perfect place to leave it for a long time. Sadly, we couldn't. Urrrg.
The thing that pisses me off the most about Moffatt's run is how many changes to the status quo he undid only a few episodes later. Some of the big shifts never got explored at all, being resolved off-screen between episodes.

Tizoc

Yo what's up with this
little girl and the Seth electric powers?
Overall Remembrance was good and I liked the Doctor in it.

It's just the publisher, Miwk, who don't want to do ebooks, and also, they are very niche so sell for more in order to recoup their money.

I have read both, both are very good, but the JNT one is amazing.

I don't know how true but Miwk is apparently how
cockneys say milk. Now I can't get the image of Ray Winstone asking for a glass of miwk out of my head

So the only place I can buy them are from the Miwk website? They are expensive on Amazon. I live in the US and it looks like it is going to cost a lot of ship it to me. :(

Pagusas

Elden Member
How are the bluray releases of seasons 1-4? Seeing as they weren't broadcast in Hd I'm guessing they just did an upscale on the source material and effects?

How are the bluray releases of seasons 1-4? Seeing as they weren't broadcast in Hd I'm guessing they just did an upscale on the source material and effects?
About the same as you get on streaming services. First season is much softer than the later non-HD ones. Not terrible but you can tell its age.

IIRC the blurays of 1-4 had the video slightly slowed down to display at a higher quality. I probably wouldn't notice or care but some people did.

IIRC the blurays of 1-4 had the video slightly slowed down to display at a higher quality. I probably wouldn't notice or care but some people did.

RTD-era Doctor Who (other than the final 4 episodes) was filmed at 25fps, a pretty standard SD TV broadcast fps in the UK. The blu-rays are encoded at 23fps, so in general episodes run about 5% slower and are a little longer each as a result. Unless you're a hardcore 'as broadcasted' person the difference is pretty much nonexistent, though the BR conversion is pretty basic. It's a simple upscale, though they did (weirdly) re-render the intro sequences at 1080p for Tennant's run - but not even /all/ of Tennant's run - for The Stolen Earth for instance when there's Liz Sladen's name and others they clearly didn't want to do the work, so those are just upscaled. The whole thing is fairly cheap feeling in that regard. IMO the best call is still the DVDs for series 1-4 and then BD for The Next Doctor onwards.

I just finished season 10! So, what is general consensus? I'll throw out my bits:

-Most consistently good season of new Doctor Who for me, though the later half was definitely a step down from the first half.

-I feared for Bill when we got the first trailer for her, but damn, she was good. A genuinely great actress. It's too bad her relationship with the doctor as mentor/teacher disappeared completely in the last half of the season, and her sendoff was a tad lame. Glad to hear she'll be back in the Christmas special.

-Nardole was amazing as well, which is probably why I really liked this season. This season confirmed for me that I really want there to always be 2 companions.

-I really dislike The Master. A lot. Missy has been the superior version, but all the buildup with her this season to end like it did was just...I dunno. I was expecting an explosion and got a small pop. They really needed to cut the garbage ice warrior episode on Mars, so they could have room to give us a full episode of Missy being "Doctor Who" instead of the tiny bit we got.

-What was with the oath with Missy? Why did Nardole give a shit as much as he did, and is there any reason why the oath to keep watch over her was important? Or was it only important because the show said it was important? I know WHY there was an oath...but I don't know why....

-Last random thought: I was very disappointed with the Doctor's final speech to The Master and Missy before they took off. I was like "This is gonna be good. One more grand speech," expecting something awesome like in the previous season with the Osgood Box. It had 0 impact though. A shame.

-Last random thought: I was very disappointed with the Doctor's final speech to The Master and Missy before they took off. I was like "This is gonna be good. One more grand speech," expecting something awesome like in the previous season with the Osgood Box. It had 0 impact though. A shame.
I thought it worked really well in terms of what they were going for. It was much more intimate, a desperate plea to his best friend. It wasn't about any wars or any Oncoming Storms, it was just the Doctor explaining why he does what he does. Because it is kind.

Blader

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
Finished my first complete Hartnell serial. On the whole, it was alright. It does feel like too little story for too many episodes, with a lot of character dynamics going on between the future London rebels that I just wasn't very invested in. Susan is kind of an annoying character, so the fact she's given such a big role in the story didn't play well with me either. I really like Hartnell as the Doctor and was disappointed that he's in so little of this; he plays a great and prominent role in the first and last episodes, but vanishes for most of the middle. I was also disappointed that this famous shot of the Daleks crossing Westminster Bridge doesn't even happen! They're seen from the other side of the railing, taken from a low angle...come on! The Daleks' grand plan here doesn't really make sense, either, but does it ever?

Despite my issues with it all, the last 10 minutes of the last episode are really lovely. Hartnell's farewell speech to Susan is famous for a reason, but the scene just before it -- when he chats with her outside the TARDIS, and takes her broken shoe, staring at the hole that has formed through it because of all her traveling -- was really touching too.

The serial overall was so-so, with some pacing and filler issues, and a noticeable lack of Hartnell's Doctor, all of which could've probably been remedied just by shortening the whole thing by about two episodes. But it was worth watching it all just for those last 10 minutes.

One day I shall come back to more Hartnell stories! But for the moment, I'm off to a Troughton serial now, and am loving what I've seen of it so far.

I thought it worked really well in terms of what they were going for. It was much more intimate, a desperate plea to his best friend. It wasn't about any wars or any Oncoming Storms, it was just the Doctor explaining why he does what he does. Because it is kind.

It also really nicely brings Capaldi's entire arc full circle. When he first regenerates, he barely knows who he is, and has to ask Clara whether or not he's even a good man. Three years later, and he's trying to lecture two of his greatest enemies on the importance of simply being a kind person and doing what's right for the sake of doing right.

Blader

Pick one yet?

Yep! I'm watching Tomb of the Cybermen. I watched one episode yesterday and liked it so much I immediately jumped into the second one.

After that, I think I'll be doing The Daemons for my sample Pertwee story, then The Three Doctors, and City of Death as my Tom Baker story. If I do an episode a day or so, I should be able to squeeze that all in before The Five Doctors rifftrax on the 17th.

Tomb is a good one, if for no other reason than with how many times they've tried to recreate it, seeing the original provides important context.

And The Daemons is Pertwee's favorite story from his era, so that's not a bad choice either.

Blader

ha, I didn't know that, but that bodes well then. I wanted to go with a Master story for my Pertwee choice, and it seemed like The Daemons was the most highly regarded one of the bunch.

Tomb of the Cybermen might be my favourite 60s story. It was completely missing from the archives for years and about five minutes after the BBC released an audiocassette version (from the fan recorded tapes), all 4 episodes were found in Hong Kong. The Beeb even rushed to release it on VHS so we could all be slightly disappointed by some of the production flaws- well, the dummy cybercontroller. For one of the missing holy grail stories to turn up was enough for me. I bought the tape the minute I saw it in the shops. And now I realise that was 25 years ago.

Hey, Who GAF, what's the current DW Experience like under Capaldi? I went right at the end of Smith's run, and obviously it closes in 5 weeks - I'm wondering if I should drag my girlfriend there before it closes forever. How different is it? How worthwhile is it for a pair of adults?

tomtom94

Moffat says autumn 2018 is the earliest they could get Chibnall, so I think it's close to official at this point that series 11 will air then.

In the latest issue, Moffat explained that he stuck with Doctor Who till Christmas 2017 to ensure Chibnall's availability. "The alternative might have been to have had no Doctor Who at all between Christmas 2015 and the autumn of 2018," he said.

thefil

I really despise the level of excitement I feel every time we got a Doctor regeneration. I find myself watching trash Youtube videos of reactions and speculation (which I never do) just out of pure anticipation. Can't wait to see how Whittaker will play it and Christmas is far too far away.

Has there even been a video interview with her since the announcement? I remember there was one with Matt Smith where I could immediately see some of what he would bring to the role.

*edit* this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zog-6SrGxE0

Platy

Started watching the first doctor episodes and two things jumped to me initially:

1) dear God the first doctor teeth is ugly as hell

2) love how he is all I hate earth you filthy humans and being a dick all around. Make his "I never saw anyone that didn't mattered" types of speech more interesting

Blader

Started watching the first doctor episodes and two things jumped to me initially:

1) dear God the first doctor teeth is ugly as hell

2) love how he is all I hate earth you filthy humans and being a dick all around. Make his "I never saw anyone that didn't mattered" types of speech more interesting

The crazy thing is that Hartnell and Capaldi were about the same age during the years they played the Doctor, but Hartnell looks a good 20 years older than Capaldi does now (and David Bradley actually is about 20 years older, lol).

Vibranium

Banned
The crazy thing is that when Hartnell and Capaldi were about the same age during the years they played the Doctor, but Hartnell looks a good 20 years older than Capaldi does now (and David Bradley actually is about 20 years older, lol).

Drinking and smoking made Hartnell the perfect choice to play a very old man, despite wearing a wig, because his face and voice were already so visibly aged.

The crazy thing is that when Hartnell and Capaldi were about the same age during the years they played the Doctor, but Hartnell looks a good 20 years older than Capaldi does now (and David Bradley actually is about 20 years older, lol).

Yes, it's wonderfully crazy.

First, David Bradley is a trooper, with Harry Potter, Terry Pratchett's Discworld _and_ An Adventure in Space and Time under his belt, all long after the age when he was entitled to a senior citizens bus pass.

Second, yes, Peter Capaldi is very close to the age at which an ailing William Hartnell relinquished the role he was born to play, contributing to the beautiful longevity of the show, even though the word "regeneration" (and even the name for his race, "Time Lord") was not yet present. Capaldi is the fitter man, certainly.

Whether unwittingly, or with subtlety I find laudable, that famous segue in the Christmas teaser is very revealing. Hartnell starts it, in classic stage mode, "Love, Pride, Hate, Fear", then it morphs quickly into his much gentler followup (and it's there in the original) this time delivered by Bradley. "Have you no emotions, sir?" While the shift is present in the original, it's particularly poignant this presentation.

It's hard to shake that this is David Bradley playing William Hartnell playing the First Doctor.

Inception Who

That moment when you realise that you now, without explanation, possess two copies of Inception, and quietly decide to watch just in case, one day, there are three copies of the film on your shelf.

Is it worth it to watch the eight episodes of Class ? I watched the first one and I thought it was okay. Eight episodes is not long but does it end with a crappy cliffhanger ? (and are there references to Class in season 10 ?)

Class seems to have died. I feel sorry for those involved, because that was a lovely ensemble cast with one or two standout brilliant performers (looking at you, Miss Quill).

There was something I just can't put my finger on...It isn't that I hated it. It just did nothing for me, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm dead inside.

These are just for promotional Effect. This is what Smith was announced with

early-matt-smith.jpg
We've really had a hot streak of great doctors lately. Here is to hoping Jodie is just as amazing as Smith and Capaldi.

tomtom94

Class seems to have died. I feel sorry for those involved, because that was a lovely ensemble cast with one or two standout brilliant performers (looking at you, Miss Quill).

Ness seems to think someone at the BBC had a grudge against the show which is why the planned BBC One run was essentially a burn-off rather than a proper run.

I think the BBC 3 online-only move did more to kill it, myself.

I think the BBC 3 online-only move did more to kill it, myself.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. Each week I had to check to see if the newest episode had shown up on iPlayer. Online-only television channels just aren't compelling in the way broadcast TV is. Having said that, at my age I'm not exactly in the key demographic for Class.

Feffe

Moffat says autumn 2018 is the earliest they could get Chibnall, so I think it's close to official at this point that series 11 will air then.
Which makes Moffat comment about Series 10 being "a reboot", completing with a series premier titled "The Pilot", a bit strange. You are (soft-)rebooting a series you know it will last only a season?

tomtom94

Which makes Moffat comment about Series 10 being "a reboot", completing with a series premier titled "The Pilot", a bit strange. You are (soft-)rebooting a series you know it will last only a season?

I mean when Moffat said things like that it's PR speak. "Pilot" isn't really a reboot, any more than "Smith and Jones" is a reboot, but both are clearly designed so that new fans can jump in easily. Moffat kind of had to be pragmatic in that sense because the ratings had gone down in Capaldi's previous two seasons and he needed to say "No, you can start watching again now / join in fresh, we're not going to overload you with continuity". Particularly since season 9 was very continuity-heavy. Not necessarily in a bad way, but it was there.

I'm pretty sure he only meant the term in the sense that The Pilot provides an easy entry point for newcomers. He contrasted it with The Eleventh Hour, in which "you sort of have to know that the Doctor used to be David Tennant for it to make any sense."

It also really nicely brings Capaldi's entire arc full circle. When he first regenerates, he barely knows who he is, and has to ask Clara whether or not he's even a good man. Three years later, and he's trying to lecture two of his greatest enemies on the importance of simply being a kind person and doing what's right for the sake of doing right.

This is exactly how I felt about it, too. I've watched the speech a few times since finishing the episode and I really love it. It's a nice sentiment for Capaldi's Doctor, I think, and one of the reasons why he's my favorite (and because Capaldi is absolutely fucking amazing). Not gonna lie, it made me tear up while watching the episode, especially since I knew Simm's Master was pretty much going to spit in his face.

I'm watching The Dalek Invasion of Earth right now! I've already watched The Unearthly Child and The Daleks. I'm following Robert Kuykendall's recommended viewing list to figure out which serials I want to watch. So far, I like Hartnell but I'm not too impressed with Susan, Barbara or Ian.

Ian and Barbara probably have some of the best character growth among classic companions over the course of their run. They start super skeptical, but are totally down for mucking about by the end.

Rewatch of NuWho just got to the second Angel two-parter and second River Song appearance.

Solid, entertaining story all around. A bit overstuffed, but gripping. Watching it made remember how badly the River stuff went off the rails later on, but here it's compelling. Iain Glen's gruff and gravelly are great here, and I am reminded of the Who/Got/Arrowverse revolving door effect.

I am generally critical of both Smith and Moffatt, but Smith's pretty great here and Moffat's big problem-- getting in over his head on stuff he can't deliver-- hasn't manifested yet.

I suspect that as my rewatch goes on I'll find Smith less annoying and see more of the issues I had were with the show, and not him. But he's still my least favorite NuWho Doctor.

Blader

Iain Glen was in Time of Angels?! Damn, how did I miss that...

Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone is genuinely one of my favorite Doctor Who stories. It's the Aliens to Blink's Alien. I get people not liking the Weeping Angels taking a more hostile approach compared to their first appearance, but it worked for me. It's also one of the times where adding River to the story doesn't feel superfluous.

Top Bottom