• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

So Jodie Whitaker with Capaldis clothing ... can't wait

tumblr_napyfjjVsI1tvhs57o7_400.gif

So Jodie Whitaker with Capaldis clothing ... can't wait

Capaldi's jacket is pretty much torn to shreds in the Christmas trailer so I assume she'll just rock the white shirt and waistcoat for a while which will look rad.

And I agree that Smith always looked great in Tennant's shirt and tie. I like that it's abstracted enough that you keep forgetting it was 10's costume.

Fury451

Banned
Everyone keeps saying this. She's definitely not.

She's wearing a jacket that's too big for her, and it looks like Capaldi's hoodie to some extent, but it's not really the same.

last-christmas-promo-batch-a-17.jpg

13899368-high_res-doctor-who-series-11-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqYtkW4DzbCPM_hy4t4hQwrYXYXonGmLHMiv_Nv9kpPHk.jpg

Whatever she's wearing I wouldn't expect that to be her final outfit

Platy

If her FINAL outfit is very girly and the next actor to play the part is a black man we will have a first episode in crossdressing ?

About Series 5.

The Eleventh Hour is absolutely amazing. The best Doctor intro of the new show, easily.
The Beast Below is not terrible, but not great.
Victory of the Daleks isn't so hot.
I'm far more lukewarm than the average on the Angel 2-parter.
The Vampires of Venice is a bit of a throwaway.
Amy's Choice is great.
The Silurian 2-parter is middling.
Vincent and the Doctor is great, obviously.
The Lodger is.. eh.
The finale 2-parter, well The Big Bang is much better than The Pandorica Opens imo.

Altogether, I think it's a decent, but unspectacular season.

The moral ambiguity of The Beast Below is uncomfortable. Apparently Moffat thinks it's a failure. I still find it a compelling story. The presentation is really wonderful, too, with creepy fairground dolls, test card girl, and that OU circa 1973 vibe. Also Demon Headmaster, or that bloke from Secret Army, depending on your generation. And Liz too.

I won't hear a bad word said about Spitfires in Space (er, apparently its official name is Victory of the Daleks. But still. Spitfires.In.Space. Also Churchill and Bracewell and the strategic possibilities of a Jammy Dodger in the right hands.)

The River Song arc really gets going here. Love it.

The Hungry Earth is the real breakaway story of that series. The Silurians, long dead and gone, have living cousins who have been in hibernation. Again, more moral quandaries, and Neve Macintosh explodes onto the screen in her multiple forms. You will be seeing more of this actress.

I think Series 6 is even better, but that's a different story.

They should do an Ada Augusta episode.

Yes. Part of me says "don't lay it on too thick" and the other part is saying "are you for real? After fucking centuries of suppression? Steal their fucking trowel and let them know what it feels like to be _erased_. *Then* we'll talk about fairness."

Quick

Banned
She's wearing a jacket that's too big for her, and it looks like Capaldi's hoodie to some extent, but it's not really the same.

last-christmas-promo-batch-a-17.jpg

13899368-high_res-doctor-who-series-11-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqYtkW4DzbCPM_hy4t4hQwrYXYXonGmLHMiv_Nv9kpPHk.jpg

Whatever she's wearing I wouldn't expect that to be her final outfit

The hoodie is similar, if not the same as one of 12's. The jacket is completely different, I don't think 12 has ever worn it.

Ceej

The hoodie is similar, if not the same as one of 12's. The jacket is completely different, I don't think 12 has ever worn it.

Maybe we're missing the obvious. Maybe it will be a jacket he regenerates in.. it's obviously way too big for her and that's def his hoodie.

Mr. Sam

I had a dream last night that the new Doctor emerged from the old one like something out of a Cronenberg film. It's about time they updated the effects.

mclem

They should do an Ada Augusta episode.

That made me think they should do an Ada Lovelace one, then I looked her up and didn't realise that that was her formal name anyway. Yeah, I agree.

That said, there was Grace Hopper, who perhaps lends herself a little more readily to a Doctor Who tale - you could embelllish the whole moth-in-hardware -> 'Debugging' story.

M.Bluth

That outfit is supposed to evoke Capaldi's, but yes, it's not accurate at all. 12 isn't even wearing a hoodie in the Christmas special. Probably they couldn't ask to borrow it without risking more leaks, and who knows when they actually shot it, so...

I don't think anything of her look in that teaser will make it to the show. Not even her hair, which seems to be from the new series she just did, "Trust Me."

tomtom94

Right, here's some possible writers for next season who've worked with Chibnall before:

HIGHLY LIKELY
Catherine Tregenna - wrote for Torchwood ("Out of Time", "Meat", "Adam") and Law and Order UK. Has also written an episode of Who, "The Woman Who Lived". Would be highly surprised if she's not involved. 90%

Terry Cafolla - wrote for Camelot and Law and Order UK. Last writing credit was in 2013, so depends why that is. 80%

POSSIBLE
Emilia di Girolamo - wrote for Law and Order UK during Chibnall's tenure as showrunner, then took over as lead writer. However, has just committed to writing for and producing Sky show The Tunnel which may keep her busy. 50%

Louise Fox - wrote for Camelot and notable as the only person other than Chibnall to get a Broadchurch writing credit (S1 E6). As with di Girolamo, her series Glitch was renewed for a second season on Netflix, which may keep her busy. 50%

OUTSIDERS
Peter J. Hammond - wrote two episode of Torchwood ("Small Worlds", "From Out of the Rain"). However, he is now 80 years old.

Matthew Graham - Chibnall wrote for Life on Mars, so it's possible he might ask to return the favour. Wrote 3 episodes of Who, including the all-time classic "Fear Her".

WHO STAFF FROM TORCHWOOD
There are five writers who wrote for both Who and Torchwood back in the day - Phil Ford, Matt Jones, Helen Raynor, James Moran and Toby Whithouse. Though whether they'd still want to write for Who is another story, some of them have moved on to other things and Chibnall might well want a clean break.

---

Normally the showrunner writes between a quarter and a half of the episodes so there should be at least seven* episodes' worth of material still to write. If we get a writer's room things get a bit more complicated of course.

*It's not been confirmed how many episodes the BBC are going to order but I'd wager it'll be 12 again.

Blader

I planned on doing a bigger classic Who marathon next year, in between Capaldi's last episode and S11, but since I unexpectedly got tickets to see The Five Doctors next month, I decided to bump it up early -- aiming to do about 1 serial per Doctor + a couple special episodes to prep.

So last night I started from the beginning:

An Unearthly Child (part 1)
Most people seem to recommend just the first episode and not the whole serial, which is what I went with. A pretty economical piece of storytelling -- in a little over 20 minutes, we're introduced to the Doctor, Susan, Ian and Barbara, a believable enough reason for why the latter two would end up meeting the Doctor, the TARDIS, travel in time and space, Time Lords/Gallifrey (not really but implicitly). It's funny just how much of what was set up here persists today, 54 years later. Like, even the sound the TARDIS makes when it's on the move, it's exactly the same!

Being new to classic Doctor Who, I didn't realize before watching this that the old episodes were shot like live plays; reminds me of the Playhouse-type tv shows of the 50s. Kind of charming in its own way.

Well, that was interesting. Next up, I'm skipping ahead for my (full) 1st Doctor serial: The Dalek Invasion of Earth

tuffy

Being new to classic Doctor Who, I didn't realize before watching this that the old episodes were shot like live plays; reminds me of the Playhouse-type tv shows of the 50s. Kind of charming in its own way.
This is really important to keep in mind. The first series ran continually - one episode per week - from late November 1963 all the way to mid September 1964. 42 episodes! And all of 60s Doctor Who is the same way: a massive number of episodes per year on minuscule budgets before reruns/home video was a thing and so nobody expected they'd ever be shown again. Keeping one's expectations in check, it's remarkable what they managed to accomplish.

That said, there was Grace Hopper, who perhaps lends herself a little more readily to a Doctor Who tale - you could embelllish the whole moth-in-hardware -> 'Debugging' story.

I suppose there's an implicit assumption in this discussion that a female lead will tend to be reflected in the choice of subject material. Well, maybe that will happen, maybe it won't. I'm half dreading the prospect of a Thatcher episode. So much of her politics was an antithesis of Doctor Who, but I think she would be an otherwise fascinating character. It's acknowledged that Sheila Hancock modelled her portrayal of Helen A in Happiness Patrol on Thatcher, whom she hated "with a deep and venomous passion."

Quick

Banned
Any chance of Mark Gatiss coming back to write as well?

While his writing credits are mostly during Moffat's run, he did write a couple of episodes during RTD's. I figured he's not necessarily exclusive to Moffat Who.

If her FINAL outfit is very girly and the next actor to play the part is a black man we will have a first episode in crossdressing ?

She is kinda tiny anyway so it's gonna be fun to see how they handle the eventual regeneration if she is wearing clothes way to small for whoever is next.

While his writing credits are mostly during Moffat's run, he did write a couple of episodes during RTD's. I figured he's not necessarily exclusive to Moffat Who.

With Gatiss getting an episode to fanwank all over, a big feature in DWM, and a featured spot in the Xmas special, I'm guessing he's gone with Moffat and never returning.

Blader

This is really important to keep in mind. The first series ran continually - one episode per week - from late November 1963 all the way to mid September 1964. 42 episodes! And all of 60s Doctor Who is the same way: a massive number of episodes per year on minuscule budgets before reruns/home video was a thing and so nobody expected they'd ever be shown again. Keeping one's expectations in check, it's remarkable what they managed to accomplish.

I only have one episode to go off so far, but I actually kinda like the cheap playhouse look of it. It adds a weird sense of charm to the whole thing.

Yeah, he's apparently working on his own thing as well as doing Dracula with Moffat.

tomtom94

Of the "regular" writers, I would expect Gatiss and Harness to go (in fact I'd expect Harness to go onto Dracula if Moffat is still not returning Stephen Thompson's calls). They seem to be Moffat picks through and through.

Dollard and Mathieson might get tapped to join series 11. It depends how serious Chibnall is about this supposed writers' room.

A-V-B

Of the "regular" writers, I would expect Gatiss and Harness to go (in fact I'd expect Harness to go onto Dracula if Moffat is still not returning Stephen Thompson's calls). They seem to be Moffat picks through and through.

Dollard and Mathieson might get tapped to join series 11. It depends how serious Chibnall is about this supposed writers' room.

If Dollard and Mathieson joined for Series 11 I would die of pure joy

Sephzilla

*Pokes head in*

Hi everyone.

So, I'm super LTTP with Doctor Who but I figured this was the best place to chime in and talk about it. Been watching the show with my girlfriend and I just got to near the end of Season 4 (the final Tennant season). I now understand the meaning behind this gif

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Man, Donna got a really sad send off. Rose's ending was bittersweet too since she is now living on alternate Earth with her alternate dad with an alternate Doctor. Martha is the only one of Tennant's companions to really get a 100% happy ending. I was hyped as fuck for more Daleks though

One of the stand-out episodes of Series 10 in my view was Rona Munro's The Eaters of Light. Apparently she also wrote Survival, the final story in the original run. I hope we'll see more.

Lynd7

One of the stand-out episodes of Series 10 in my view was Rona Munro's The Eaters of Light. Apparently she also wrote Survival, the final story in the original run. I hope we'll see more.

I found that ep to be pretty boring/bad. Why did you end up liking it?

*Pokes head in*

Hi everyone.

So, I'm super LTTP with Doctor Who but I figured this was the best place to chime in and talk about it. Been watching the show with my girlfriend and I just got to near the end of Season 4 (the final Tennant season). I now understand the meaning behind this gif

Man, Donna got a really sad send off. Rose's ending was bittersweet too since she is now living on alternate Earth with her alternate dad with an alternate Doctor. Martha is the only one of Tennant's companions to really get a 100% happy ending. I was hyped as fuck for more Daleks though

Show started in 1963, it's never late to the party! Or it's always late to the party. Either way, anybody under the age of 60 has gotta jump in somewhere. That shit with the MetaCrisis Doctor was crazy. It had me wondering for weeks how life was going for those two in the alternate universe and it still comes to mind from time to time. The theories ran rampant, some crazy folk even suggesting that he would eventually become a villain (classic who spoiler:
The Valeyard. It was the Doctor but evil
). That didn't pan out. Fake spoiler:
Realistically, probably banging. A lot.

Make sure you watch the Tennant specials before you move on to series 5. That's a mistake some people occasionally make and they end up confused. The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars and The End of Time. The first three are each an hour, the last is a two parter about 2 and a quarter hours total. They did a series of specials that year instead of a proper season, and some streaming services list them separately.

Besides that, the next thing to watch out for is to watch the yearly Christmas Specials in the right order and the 50th anniversary special in the right spot as well. They also get arranged/categorized strangely occasionally because they're outside the normal seasons. If I remember correctly, one of the christmas specials during Smith's run was actually right in the middle of the damn season.

I found that ep to be pretty boring/bad. Why did you end up liking it?

The Eaters of Light? I found the subject interesting and the character portrayals sympathetic. The companion also gets a lot of time to explore the situation without the Doctor acting as a travel guide.

But if I've learned anything, it's that we each seek something different in Doctor Who.

tomtom94

Besides that, the next thing to watch out for is to watch the yearly Christmas Specials in the right order and the 50th anniversary special in the right spot as well. They also get arranged/categorized strangely occasionally because they're outside the normal seasons. If I remember correctly, one of the christmas specials during Smith's run was actually right in the middle of the damn season.

Yes, for some reason people keep tripping up; even Netflix UK got it wrong. The correct order is:

Series 7A (Asylum of the Daleks -> Angels Take Manhattan)
The Snowmen
Series 7B (Bells of St John -> Name of the Doctor)
Day of the Doctor
Time of the Doctor
Series 8, Last Christmas etc

And you do need to get Snowmen in there because (unlike some Christmas specials) it does tie into the plotline in a pretty major way.

EDIT: This is leaving out all the online prequels, which I think even the most obsessive fans gave up on tracking around this point...

Right, here's some possible writers for next season who've worked with Chibnall before:

HIGHLY LIKELY
Catherine Tregenna - wrote for Torchwood ("Out of Time", "Meat", "Adam") and Law and Order UK. Has also written an episode of Who, "The Woman Who Lived". Would be highly surprised if she's not involved. 90%

Terry Cafolla - wrote for Camelot and Law and Order UK. Last writing credit was in 2013, so depends why that is. 80%

POSSIBLE
Emilia di Girolamo - wrote for Law and Order UK during Chibnall's tenure as showrunner, then took over as lead writer. However, has just committed to writing for and producing Sky show The Tunnel which may keep her busy. 50%

Louise Fox - wrote for Camelot and notable as the only person other than Chibnall to get a Broadchurch writing credit (S1 E6). As with di Girolamo, her series Glitch was renewed for a second season on Netflix, which may keep her busy. 50%

OUTSIDERS
Peter J. Hammond - wrote two episode of Torchwood ("Small Worlds", "From Out of the Rain"). However, he is now 80 years old.

Matthew Graham - Chibnall wrote for Life on Mars, so it's possible he might ask to return the favour. Wrote 3 episodes of Who, including the all-time classic "Fear Her".

WHO STAFF FROM TORCHWOOD
There are five writers who wrote for both Who and Torchwood back in the day - Phil Ford, Matt Jones, Helen Raynor, James Moran and Toby Whithouse. Though whether they'd still want to write for Who is another story, some of them have moved on to other things and Chibnall might well want a clean break.

---

Normally the showrunner writes between a quarter and a half of the episodes so there should be at least seven* episodes' worth of material still to write. If we get a writer's room things get a bit more complicated of course.

*It's not been confirmed how many episodes the BBC are going to order but I'd wager it'll be 12 again.

Andy Weir (writer of The Martian) posted a few months ago that he'd met Chibnall on a visit to the UK. Whether that means anything is up in the air but I wouldn't be surprised if he penned an episode.

Andy Weir (writer of The Martian) posted a few months ago that he'd met Chibnall on a visit to the UK. Whether that means anything is up in the air but I wouldn't be surprised if he penned an episode.

Watney goes on an adventure with The Doctor?

Book it.

That would oddly make the Doctor part of The Expanse universe.

No, not really.

Blader

Watched the first episode of The Dalek Invasion of Earth last night. Kind of a slow start, but the very end with a Dalek slowly rising out of the water -- accompanied with no music for added eerie effect -- with "Next Episode: The Daleks" flashing up on screen was pretty good.

*Pokes head in*

Hi everyone.

Just watched that last night too, as the rewatch-with-the-kids marathon continues.

My older son said "That's where that GIF comes from!"

Great finale.

Sephzilla

Show started in 1963, it's never late to the party! Or it's always late to the party. Either way, anybody under the age of 60 has gotta jump in somewhere. That shit with the MetaCrisis Doctor was crazy. It had me wondering for weeks how life was going for those two in the alternate universe and it still comes to mind from time to time. The theories ran rampant, some crazy folk even suggesting that he would eventually become a villain (classic who spoiler:
The Valeyard. It was the Doctor but evil
). That didn't pan out. Fake spoiler:
Realistically, probably banging. A lot.

Make sure you watch the Tennant specials before you move on to series 5. That's a mistake some people occasionally make and they end up confused. The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars and The End of Time. The first three are each an hour, the last is a two parter about 2 and a quarter hours total. They did a series of specials that year instead of a proper season, and some streaming services list them separately.

Yeah at the end of Season 4 I was a little confused because there was no Matt Smith yet lol. Didn't realize that Tennant had another "season" that was just special episodes. Amazon Prime Video has it set up kind of weird, Next Doctor is listed under season 4 and then the Tennant Specials are listed as their own thing. I also noticed that Planet of the Dead is when the show got a proper upgrade to full HD.

Blader

Halfway through The Dalek Invasion of Earth now, and yes, I see what people mean about the slow pace. :lol Does feel like there isn't enough story to justify the three episodes so far, and the Doctor is oddly not in it a whole lot, but maybe the writers were still trying to figure out just how much Doctor was supposed to be in Doctor Who at this point (or maybe Hartnell was just too ill too often to be such a prominent player in the show).

Halfway through The Dalek Invasion of Earth now, and yes, I see what people mean about the slow pace. :lol Does feel like there isn't enough story to justify the three episodes so far, and the Doctor is oddly not in it a whole lot, but maybe the writers were still trying to figure out just how much Doctor was supposed to be in Doctor Who at this point (or maybe Hartnell was just too ill too often to be such a prominent player in the show).

They used to film almost all year round in the 60s, so there would be times where one of the characters would get knocked out/put in prison and the actor would go on holiday.

Thanks for posting this, I may have teared up a little. I just got completely caught up and watched The Doctor Falls last night. I can say without a doubt Capaldi is my very favorite doctor. There are so many things I love about his run, in spite of some bad writing - even though Capaldi's acting is so fantastic he almost makes up for it. Michelle Gomez as Missy is fucking phenomenal and it was a joy to see John Simm again (his disguise, though, wew).

Bill was so good. I'm really sad we only got one season with Pearl Mackie, because I feel like Bill brings so much out of the Doctor. The end of World Enough and Time and Bill's scenes in The Doctor Falls destroyed me almost as much as Twelve starting to regenerate.

Regarding the new season, I hope Gatiss is gone. I can't stand him and I'm not looking forward to seeing him in the special. I'll be super happy is Sarah Dollard stays on to write as I quite enjoyed her episodes.

I'm not sure how I feel about Chibnall. On the one hand, I actually really liked Torchwood and Life on Mars is one of my absolute favorite shows. But his work on Doctor Who hasn't been that great, sooooo. I guess we'll see!

They used to film almost all year round in the 60s, so there would be times where one of the characters would get knocked out/put in prison and the actor would go on holiday.
They used to write characters out for a week or two throughout the season to give the cast a holiday, or have them appear in pre-filmed inserts but in the case of DIOE, I believe Hartnell suffered an injury during recording of the previous ep.

Top Bottom