• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

tomtom94

Sorry, I meant foster father while he was on Gallifrey.
I'm guessing Doctor, over time, got fed up doing the usual Time Lord business and convinced Susan to tag along as they went off spelunking through time and space.

A quick glance at TARDIS Wikia suggests TV show is pretty unanimous it's a biological relationship, but a couple of books disagree.

Susan specifically identified the Doctor as her grandfather, (TV: "An Unearthly Child", "The Escape") as did Barbara Wright, (TV: "An Unearthly Child", "Hidden Danger") Ian Chesterton, (TV: "The Ambush", "Kidnap") Ping-Cho (TV: "The Wall of Lies") and the First Doctor himself, (TV: "The Brink of Disaster") while the First Doctor considered Susan to be his grandchild, (TV: "The Rescue", Marco Polo, The Sensorites, "Flashpoint") as did the Fifth Doctor, (AUDIO: The Toy) the Eighth Doctor (AUDIO: Relative Dimensions) and the First Elder. (TV: "Hidden Danger") In his eleventh incarnation, the Doctor later recalled coming to the Rings of Akhaten "a long time ago with my granddaughter". (TV: The Rings of Akhaten)

tuffy

Sorry, I meant foster father while he was on Gallifrey.
I'm guessing Doctor, over time, got fed up doing the usual Time Lord business and convinced Susan to tag along as they went off spelunking through time and space.
We really don't know whether or not he had a hand in raising her on Gallifrey. We do know that once they left Gallifrey the two spent some time traveling together before coming to Earth, but that's about the extent of it.

Vibranium

Banned
Sad news. Deborah Watling, who played Victoria Waterfield, has passed away.

Nooo, I absolutely loved Victoria, a very underrated 60's Doctor Who companion, despite her character shouting a lot like Susan, who featured in one of the greatest scenes ever (in the Tomb of the Cybermen where the Second Doctor talks about his age and the memories of his family and friends). Sad news, Deborah deserved a longer life.

Frazer Hines must be pretty upset too.

Vibranium

Banned
So something I've been thinking lately: Is Susan really the Doctor's biological granddaughter or is she someone he decided to look after as a foster father?

We don't know, most people assume biological and the show has had The Doctor say she's related to him, so I believe that. I've always been partial to the idea that the Doctor did something with her memories when they ran away. That would explain why she does not talk about Gallifrey to Ian and Barbara (rather than the real-life reason of writing retcons). I feel like she lost her parents due to some sort of violent event, so the Doc took her with him when he escaped.

I do find myself wondering if the show will ever explain what happened in the years leading up to An Unearthly Child, despite most fans wanting it kept mysterious. Maybe not during Chibnall's tenure, but you never know.

I feel like over explaining The Doctor's enigmatic origins would be an omen for the end of the show.

"Compassionate rebel from an advanced society who runs off to explore EVERYTHING" is all the explanation you need.

Vibranium

Banned
I feel like over explaining The Doctor's enigmatic origins would be an omen for the end of the show.

"Compassionate rebel from an advanced society who runs off to explore EVERYTHING" is all the explanation you need.

Yep. If Susan ever came back in a regenerated form though, they probably would have to answer some things about her origins (which is why I don't think she'll ever return on television).

tomtom94

Considering there have been multiple attempts in the show's history to add mystery back in to the Doctor's past...yeah.

I'm expecting Susan to show up at Christmas (almost certainly played by Carole Ann Ford or using archive footage) but that's mainly because this thread has been suggesting it since The Pilot.

Platy

Considering there have been multiple attempts in the show's history to add mystery back in to the Doctor's past...yeah.

I'm expecting Susan to show up at Christmas (almost certainly played by Carole Ann Ford or using archive footage) but that's mainly because this thread has been suggesting it since The Pilot.

If hey took the first doctor from Adventures in Time and Space, why not susan also ?

wrpoZUA.jpg

tomtom94

I wonder if Chicnall will treat some of Moffat's excesses like Season 4 of Community. "That was the year of the gas leak."

Honestly, this is the kind of thing where you would need to be very careful. There's a reason why some fans are still bitter about the retcon of Gallifrey's destruction in Day of the Doctor and why a small handful of Classic Who diehards are still bitter RTD destroyed it in the first place - it's because if you're not careful it looks like a more personal attack than intended, particularly when the supposed "culprit" is unable to respond. Keep moving forward, I say.

Helpfully, there are fewer "events" in Moffat's tenure that I would consider unavoidable; Amy not knowing about the Daleks was a Big Deal because of how RTD had written the show with a specific timeline of events for five years; there's no real equivalent of that in Moffat's tenure. A modern-day companion ought to know about the Cybermen, and Gallifrey is a thing again, but otherwise as far as I can tell Chibnall and the rest of the writers have free rein (and the Doctor being married will remain a source of good jokes)

If hey took the first doctor from Adventures in Time and Space, why not susan also ?

Also possible though I think Moffat would want to get the original actress if he could rather than recast, particularly considering they did just do the same thing with Alpha Centauri.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing where you would need to be very careful. There's a reason why some fans are still bitter about the retcon of Gallifrey's destruction in Day of the Doctor and why a small handful of Classic Who diehards are still bitter RTD destroyed it in the first place - it's because if you're not careful it looks like a more personal attack than intended, particularly when the supposed "culprit" is unable to respond. Keep moving forward, I say.

Helpfully, there are fewer "events" in Moffat's tenure that I would consider unavoidable; Amy not knowing about the Daleks was a Big Deal because of how RTD had written the show with a specific timeline of events for five years; there's no real equivalent of that in Moffat's tenure. A modern-day companion ought to know about the Cybermen, and Gallifrey is a thing again, but otherwise as far as I can tell Chibnall and the rest of the writers have free rein (and the Doctor being married will remain a source of good jokes)

Also possible though I think Moffat would want to get the original actress if he could rather than recast, particularly considering they did just do the same thing with Alpha Centauri.

I still think bringing back Gallifrey outright was dumb, mainly because Gallifrey is crap - as the trip there in Capaldi's tenure showed. I actually think Day of the Doctor's retcon was a stroke of genius, mind, but I think Day of the Doctor, the mysterious assistance in Time of the Doctor and The Master's lie and the Doctor's self-destructive response to it in Series 9 was the perfect place to leave it for a long time. Sadly, we couldn't. Urrrg.

Sometimes you do need to reset a bit though. People see percieved slights everywhere, but the "bits of history falling through cracks in time" fixed a long-standing Doctor Who problem, which was how everyone just seems to forget. In the old series you could sort of get away with it as the original show was very blinkered, but in RTD's 'slice of life' version of the world you couldn't write away the events of Journey's End or Death in Heaven, your brain wouldn't buy that people wouldn't remember... and RTD used the one final excuse with Donna (Martha, of course, remembered the Daleks and Cybermen).

But still.. I remember when Flesh & Stone aired people felt like this was Moffat issuing a fuck you to RTD. People are nuts.

I hope Chibnall does break away relatively clean, but there are a few things I'd like to see over the course of his tenure eventually... like, I'd love to see Captain Jack, Ood, Judoon and River.

Ood just because I like them and I think they're fairly versatile as an ally or enemy alien, and River because I think the idea of her opposite a female Doctor suddenly makes seeing her again far more enticing. Judoon because... weirdly, I think the idea of them as recurring mercenaries, space-police, is a really good idea. I've liked that they've shown up a few times where that role makes sense in Moffat's era in background roles (The Pandorica Opens, A Good Man Goes to War, The Magician's Apprentice, Face the Raven)

Some of these you'd save for later years and you'd ideally avoid the characters in the first year, but I'd like to see them eventually. I think River is unlikely since literally nobody has written for her on-screen but Moffat, but I think Jack is actually probably more likely than ever since Chibnall and Barrowman get on and Chibnall ran the first two series' of Torchwood, I think.

M.Bluth

Mostly because Carol Ann Ford is still alive and it'd be nice if they get her in the show one more time while they still can.

I still think bringing back Gallifrey outright was dumb, mainly because Gallifrey is crap - as the trip there in Capaldi's tenure showed. I actually think Day of the Doctor's retcon was a stroke of genius, mind, but I think Day of the Doctor, the mysterious assistance in Time of the Doctor and The Master's lie and the Doctor's self-destructive response to it in Series 9 was the perfect place to leave it for a long time. Sadly, we couldn't. Urrrg.

Sometimes you do need to reset a bit though. People see percieved slights everywhere, but the "bits of history falling through cracks in time" fixed a long-standing Doctor Who problem, which was how everyone just seems to forget. In the old series you could sort of get away with it as the original show was very blinkered, but in RTD's 'slice of life' version of the world you couldn't write away the events of Journey's End or Death in Heaven, your brain wouldn't buy that people wouldn't remember... and RTD used the one final excuse with Donna (Martha, of course, remembered the Daleks and Cybermen).

But still.. I remember when Flesh & Stone aired people felt like this was Moffat issuing a fuck you to RTD. People are nuts.

I hope Chibnall does break away relatively clean, but there are a few things I'd like to see over the course of his tenure eventually... like, I'd love to see Captain Jack, Ood, Judoon and River.

Ood just because I like them and I think they're fairly versatile as an ally or enemy alien, and River because I think the idea of her opposite a female Doctor suddenly makes seeing her again far more enticing. Judoon because... weirdly, I think the idea of them as recurring mercenaries, space-police, is a really good idea. I've liked that they've shown up a few times where that role makes sense in Moffat's era in background roles (The Pandorica Opens, A Good Man Goes to War, The Magician's Apprentice, Face the Raven)

Some of these you'd save for later years and you'd ideally avoid the characters in the first year, but I'd like to see them eventually. I think River is unlikely since literally nobody has written for her on-screen but Moffat, but I think Jack is actually probably more likely than ever since Chibnall and Barrowman get on and Chibnall ran the first two series' of Torchwood, I think.
Agreed on Gallifrey, even though I'm probably in the minority of liking (most of) what happened in Hell Bent (Just get rid of that "long way 'round" from Clara, Big Finish didn't need it!)

As for characters returning, I'd love to see more classic monsters and enemies that we didn't get to see in NuWho yet.
Like... Dunno how people feel about him, and I still haven't seen Arc of Infinity so I've no idea what else happens to him, but Omega is one I'd like to see return.

Captain Jack and River, though, I'm not sure why but I feel strongly against their return. I'm in the mindset of let's just move on and make as clean of a break as possible for the new era of NuWho.

When is the SDCC panel for Doctor Who?

Sunday, July 23rd. 2pm.

Feffe

I liked Hell Bent, Gallifrey was there but it wasn't the focus of the episode. They used the whole GALLIFREY IS BACK! Andy the hybrid thing to tell the story of the Doctor and Clara's departure - which was a far more interesting story than everything "epic" Rassillon and the General might be involved in.
In the end it's all to the writer's ability. If you have have a creative bankrupt writer you'll get an epic, dark story abouts the Time Lord scheme. If you have any good writer Gallifrey will just be part of something interesting (like in the War Games, Deadly Assassin or Hell Bent).

As for characters returning, I'd love to see more classic monsters and enemies that we didn't get to see in NuWho yet.
Like... Dunno how people feel about him, and I still haven't seen Arc of Infinity so I've no idea what else happens to him, but Omega is one I'd like to see return.

Captain Jack and River, though, I'm not sure why but I feel strongly against their return. I'm in the mindset of let's just move on and make as clean of a break as possible for the new era of NuWho.

I think at this point some of the RTD-era stuff basically qualifies as 'classic' - ten years old! I'd like to see more very niche old stuff though, like how we got the Great Intelligence. But I really would love another story with the Judoon in a major role.

As for River and Jack, well... I was absolutely finished with River, sick of her, even, but I will admit the thought of her with Jodie's Doctor is exciting as it'd be a very different dynamic. Maybe that's something best left for Big Finish.

I do think Jack'll come back during Chib's run, though. Like River he too would be a character whose dynamic with the Doctor as a woman would be interesting, and Chibnall is too close to that character and has written far too much for him to not, I think. Plus there is a very vocal, very intense fanbase of Torchwood fans who are lapping up everything Torchwood to the point where the TW audios are rivaling some of the Who ones in sales for Big Finish - I do think he'll come back.

tomtom94

I think we're unlikely to get as many niche monsters as before, if only because that seemed very much to be a Gatiss and Moffat thing. (Honestly, if I were showrunner, for my first season I'd straight up say "no returning monsters" - that's classic or NuWho - apart from the obligatory Dalek). On RTD becoming "classic" - yeah, don't forget Moffat has been around for what, seven years in real time?

The Judoon would have made a perfect species to give to Missy as an army instead of the Cybermen, come to think of it. One of my great hopes is to redeem the Slitheen, but by the time I could ever write for Who they'd be so long gone. I would like Kate and maybe Osgood to stick around. It might help that Chibnall wrote Kate first. Jack / River / 13 for the 60th please!

A short interview with Moffat, Capaldi, and Gatiss from SDCC:
https://www.facebook.com/empiremagazine/videos/10155590363957708/

Nothing big in it; Moffat comments on the "backlash" regarding Jodie's casting, Capaldi says how much he loved his final scene, and apparently Gatiss is in the Christmas special, which I didn't know about before!

I can't say I have any basis for this other than my mind jumped to it, but I wonder if he's going to be doing Pertwee. Finally showing the only "unseen" regeneration seems like the sort of thing Moffat would do. Particularly if the story revolves around regeneration as a whole.

Vibranium

Banned

Nothing big in it; Moffat comments on the "backlash" regarding Jodie's casting, Capaldi says how much he loved his final scene, and apparently Gatiss is in the Christmas special, which I didn't know about before!

I'm curious to see how Gatiss appears in the special. Professor Lazarus regenerates? (Lol).

Great interview, I am going to miss Peter like many people and I hope he doesn't "vanish" after Paddington 2. He deserves some big roles, though he might want to settle down and do some smaller TV stuff.

M.Bluth

Decent chance that Jodie will appear at the panel as a surprise guest?
Probably not. They can't overshadow the current team's final panel especially when Jodie wouldn't be able to say anything that we don't already know.

I half expect Chris Hardwick reminding the audience not to ask about 13th or S11 since no one on the panel is involved.
Not that it would stop them, of course...

Will he be playing the third Doctor?

I can't say I have any basis for this other than my mind jumped to it, but I wonder if he's going to be doing Pertwee. Finally showing the only "unseen" regeneration seems like the sort of thing Moffat would do. Particularly if the story revolves around regeneration as a whole.
That would be SO BAD xD
I doubt they'll touch the 3rd Doctor, and if they ever do, it'd be insane not to get Sean Pertwee to play it

I'm curious to see how Gatiss appears in the special. Professor Lazarus regenerates? (Lol).
I think he's gonna wear heavy prosthetics. Remember, this would be his third appearance on the show; he was in Wedding of River Song as that weird Silence dude who loses against the Doctor in a chess match.

Great interview, I am going to miss Peter like many people and I hope he doesn't "vanish" after Paddington 2. He deserves some big roles, though he might want to settle down and do some smaller TV stuff.

Iannucci seems relatively free. I don't think they should bring back Thick of It, but it'd be nice if they did a movie together.

I think he's gonna wear heavy prosthetics. Remember, this would be his third appearance on the show; he was in Wedding of River Song as that weird Silence dude who loses against the Doctor in a chess match.

It's uncredited, but he's also Danny Boy, the lead pilot, in Victory of the Daleks. Gatiss is well into this stuff though - that series 6 appearance credits him as something mad like Rondo Haxtock or somesuch

Iannucci seems relatively free. I don't think they should bring back Thick of It, but it'd be nice if they did a movie together.

One of the things that makes me rather sad about how Malcolm's character ended is that he is the one I truly, really would've liked see end up on Veep for an episode during a UK state visit or something. Alas...

Vibranium

Banned

Yeah, I was just joking, many TV shows and movies reuse actors/actresses, and Who has been no different through 50 years. I'm expecting Mark as some sort of alien (I had forgotten about his appearance with the Silence too).

And yeah, Capaldi teaming with Iannucci again would be fantastic, even for a new project.

Moffat's response to the Jodie backlash is spot on.

Decent chance that Jodie will appear at the panel as a surprise guest?

Maybe a video message maybe?

But I feel like for stuff like this they never really have 2 doctors on the press tours when its regeneration time. They let the outgoing doctor have their victory lap and once their final episode airs the big push for the new doctor begins

Just finished Episode 6 of Season 10....Sad to see it was in fact Missy in the vault. Blah...predictable, as I'm sure everyone realized it was going to be. Still bummed....was hoping for something fresh and new and not just "oh...this villain you've met a billion times. It's her again."

Oh well. I'll try and get over it. This season has been the most consistently good season of Doctor Who for...well...any of the new ones.

Quick

Banned
I ran through the last four episodes of Series 10.

Dragged on a bit in the middle, but the final two episodes were great. The Pilot (Heather) was tacked on at the end, but you can pretty much see her popping up at some point throughout Series 10 anyway, and Bill gets a happy ending. I dig it a lot.

The Mondas Cybermen reveal was awesome, though I wish they'd have kept that a surprise during the previews - my fault ultimately for watching that. Would have liked that as a surprise, especially the Master reveal, but it was easy to spot John Simm under all that makeup and prosthesis anyway. The dynamic of him and Bill throughout World Enough and Time was neat, almost a Doctor-Companion kind of relationship that's messed up. Had a chuckle at the "you hurt my heart"/"you are literally hurting me with your replacement heart".

There wasn't enough Master/Missy. Maybe for the best? But I was hoping for more. I was also hoping for more of Missy leading an episode. Her whole bit with cutting to the chase on the Doctor Who name, and just going through the motions was hilarious. Works out pretty well that Missy triggers the Master's regeneration into her, and I definitely saw the Master shooting Missy, though I didn't think he'd shoot her dead.

Doctor getting shot by the Cybermen looked cheap as hell. That's really my only knock against The Doctor Falls.

On that note, everything major seems to have been tied up nicely for Chibnall to start fresh. No Master/Missy, no companions, no immediate loose threads.

I'm really excited for The Doctors.

Capaldi as Dracula seems like such a perfect choice I'm not sure how I didn't think of it before. Him sat at the table in Heaven Sent brooding about notions of death and grief is basically perfect audition material.

Blader

I was gifted tickets for the Rifftax of The Five Doctors this weekend, so I guess my classic Who watching will be starting earlier than I planned!

Anyone else going to it next month?

Will he be playing the third Doctor?

That's what I'm thinking. Both Gatiss and Capaldi are huge fans of the 3rd Doctor, they may not be able to resist the opportunity for Gatiss to play him and Capaldi's Doctor to interact with him.

Edit: never mind, see trailer below!

Mark Gatiss Potential Character Spoilers
Take it with a huge grain of salt as its from Gallifrey Base but he's apparently playing The Hermit. Someone who The Doctor saw as a mentor to him.

So
K'anpo/Cho Je
from Planet of
the Spiders
maybe?
In the Pertwee era the Doctor mentioned a Hermit who we later discovered was actually two characters in Planet of the Spiders who ran a Tibetan meditation retreat in the UK. One turned out to be the hermit Pertwee had mentioned earlier and the other, well, was the hermit's future regeneration. He's also the character that first called it regeneration on screen

Still got 5 months to go! Fan service be damned.

M.Bluth

Looks pretty good!
However...
I was expecting Bill to return in some way, if for anything just so that the Doctor knows she's alright and thus avoid carrying enormous amount of guilt for what happened to her as far as he knows. But I don't want them to screw up that ending another time :/

I wish Christmas was in July :(

Top Bottom