• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Star Wars Battlefront II game faces further backlash

Darak

I'm in no way trying to play devils advocate, but are sticker packs or card packs like Pokemon etc consider gambling? Or the amount of toys that are released in blind bags these days? They all prey on people with addictive personalities and children.

Card packs are a form of gambling and there is no way around it. They even have direct money value since you have an expansive second hand market to sell them.

Z3M0G

The backlash is turning into lost sales of the game. It sold 60% less in UK and sold only 1/3 of the original game in Japan.
My buddies and i all played the first game. For a very short period. We scoffed at the idea of playing this one long before loot boxes were experienced.

I don't get how people struggle with this: these are physical items that have trade and resale value, use outside of their intended setting, with set odds and without being built to operate in the same way as slot machines (did you think all the flash and ceremony of opening loot boxes was accidental?). The comparison is disingenuous.

For something to be considered gambling, it must have these 3 elements: consideration, chance to win a prize, and a prize that has VALUE. Trading cards have the 3 required elements, and they are not gambling. Loot boxes only have 2 of the 3 required elements.

lefty1117

Gold Member
So then any game of chance at an amusement park is gambling. What is the problem here? This feels like a huge overreaction or misguided reaction. I think the bigger concern here is the grindy nature of these games and the fact that devs are making them intentionally grindy to entice players to pay to bypass it. that's the sleazy bit in all this - loot boxes are just the object of hate but I think people are missing the real point.

Steroyd

So then any game of chance at an amusement park is gambling. What is the problem here? This feels like a huge overreaction or misguided reaction. I think the bigger concern here is the grindy nature of these games and the fact that devs are making them intentionally grindy to entice players to pay to bypass it. that's the sleazy bit in all this - loot boxes are just the object of hate but I think people are missing the real point.

That's... Exactly why this whole thing blew up the way it did, it wasn't the implementation of the lootboxes themselves even though I do have an issue with them, cosmetic only included. But that EA ingrained the lootbox system so much into the DNA of the progression that it's brought mainstream attention. And if the ESRB and PEGI took a different stance a couple of months ago, we wouldn't be here, it'd be self regulated rather than bringing governments into it.

SonicSleuth

That's... Exactly why this whole thing blew up the way it did, it wasn't the implementation of the lootboxes themselves even though I do have an issue with them, cosmetic only included. But that EA ingrained the lootbox system so much into the DNA of the progression that it's brought mainstream attention. And if the ESRB and PEGI took a different stance a couple of months ago, we wouldn't be here, it'd be self regulated rather than bringing governments into it.

So let me understand what you're saying... it seems like now GRINDING is somehow an ethical wrong?

How in the hell do MMORPGs have decades of existence in a world where pay to win and grinding are suddenly the world's most hated things? Have ya'll ever played videogames before?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So let me understand what you're saying... it seems like now GRINDING is somehow an ethical wrong?

How in the hell do MMORPGs have decades of existence in a world where pay to win and grinding are suddenly the world's most hated things? Have ya'll ever played videogames before?

Are you trying to compare this type of game to an mmorpg?

because that would be pretty dumb

Steroyd

When you level up in a RPG if your class is a warrior you will get a stat increase in attack and HP and you will gain an attacking ability that your warrior can use, under Battlefront's system if you're a warrior when you level up you may get an increase in a stat that is or isn't related to your class, and you may learn a move that your warrior can equip and utilise in a fight.

How about y’all stop defending games with shitty game design and shitty business practices? How about that y’all?

SonicSleuth

When you level up in a RPG if your class is a warrior you will get a stat increase in attack and HP and you will gain an attacking ability that your warrior can use, under Battlefront's system if you're a warrior when you level up you may get an increase in a stat that is or isn't related to your class, and you may learn a move that your warrior can equip and utilise in a fight.

When you use a particular weapon in BF2, you level that weapon up, just like those attacks in an RPG (or in ten Call of Duty and Battlefield games before this). When you want to craft cards for your character, you can do it, just like you can craft potions or armor or whatever in RPGs.

I honestly think half the people complaining haven't even played the game. They aren't even selling boxes, for f's sake.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
When you use a particular weapon in BF2, you level that weapon up, just like those attacks in an RPG (or in ten Call of Duty and Battlefield games before this). When you want to craft cards for your character, you can do it, just like you can craft potions or armor or whatever in RPGs.

I honestly think half the people complaining haven't even played the game. They aren't even selling boxes, for f's sake.

How would owning the game change anything? The exclusion of lootcrates is temporary and you know this too. Stop trying to defend it and stop trying to compare this to an mmo. They have nothing in common

BF2 isn't like other RPGs where the progression of power is tied to levels. Its more like Diablo 3 where almost all your power comes from gear. Better gear = more power. Because your power comes from gear and gear quality is determined by RNG, not every piece of gear is going to advance your power. In fact most gear will be useless, and this is by design.

BF2 does the same thing, except in a sort of obtuse way by having cards instead of pieces of gear.

Steroyd

BF2 isn't like other RPGs where the progression of power is tied to levels. Its more like Diablo 3 where almost all your power comes from gear. Better gear = more power. Because your power comes from gear and gear quality is determined by RNG, not every piece of gear is going to advance your power. In fact most gear will be useless, and this is by design.

BF2 does the same thing, except in a sort of obtuse way by having cards instead of pieces of gear.

Hmmm, I guess even that isn't quite right, because Diablo is a case of fighting level 10 enemy to get random level 10 gear and certain enemies drop certain loot so you're not aimlessly fighting completely random enemies all the time with completely random outcomes.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say you fight enemies for the gold and the gold let's you buy randomised gear from the shop... Why am I trying to make this analogy work in the context of a RPG, this is dumb.

i_karan

Neo Member
I don't think this trend will stop. Even if they ban lootboxes, companies like EA will move to new microtransaction fad. They have seen the amount of money that is generated via buying microtransactions, and they are not going to give up on that.
Oh well, the market will decide if that is a good pratice.

geordiemp

Thanks for saving me purchase of 2 copies (we have 3 Ps4)

P2W games whee any advantage or chance of an advantage is gained through microshit is a big NO to me.

Glad to see it suffer.

Micrcrap is only for costumes or no buy.

I enjoyed the force unleashed, why do we have to have evey game like overwatch. I am a big COD fan, but games have to be balanced between players or its a big turn off.......which is not possible when you have Jedi vs storm troopers just does not work for me for PVP

Top Bottom